Cover songs

Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors

I was just listening to a couple of wonderful cover songs that couldn't be more different. Adrenaline Mob's Barracuda, which is an almost note for note perfect rendition of the original (except fot the male vocals of course) and Rob Lamothe's (Riverdogs) version of paranoid which is a complete re-working of the original. Both magnificent. Just wondering what some of your favorite cover versions were and if you prefer one's that stay true to the original or ones that differ from it.

I like covers where the song is either improved, updated or modernised (or in some cases metallised) or covers which present the song in a different and interesting way.

Hate covers where it's pretty much the same song rerecorded.

Not many covers are better than the originals, but some are.

Some of my favorites are

Radar Love - White Lion

Sound Of Silence - Bobaflex

Everything I Own - Tesla

Fuck You - Vains Of Jenna

Then you have songs which completely overshadow the originals

Cum On Feel The Noize - QR

Mama Weer All Crazy Now - QR

• 2023 Gold Donors

I like covers where the song is either improved, updated or modernised (or in some cases metallised) or covers which present the song in a different and interesting way.

Hate covers where it's pretty much the same song rerecorded.

Not many covers are better than the originals, but some are.

Some of my favorites are

Radar Love - White Lion

Sound Of Silence - Bobaflex

Everything I Own - Tesla

Fuck You - Vains Of Jenna

Then you have songs which completely overshadow the originals

Cum On Feel The Noize - QR

Mama Weer All Crazy Now - QR

white lion absolutely spot on and you're right about the QR songs. I'm not familiar with the others. I'll have to check them out.

Another obscurish one is Jane Doe's version of Devil Woman. It's a great hard rock version and it also allows me to have a song in my collection that i love without the stigma of owning any Cliff Richard material.

One of my absolute favorite cover song:

That was pretty cool.

Reminder me of an amazing cover by Dee Snider

For me it 'finished' the song that I always thought kinda went nowhere...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlptWs2Kxgo

• 2023 Gold Donors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-s2CGRJdfg

That was pretty cool.

Very good. Throw in David Lee Roth's "Just a gigolo" and you've got the beginnings of an interesting compilation album.

That was pretty cool.

Very good. Throw in David Lee Roth's "Just a gigolo" and you've got the beginnings of an interesting compilation album.

Add to that compilation album TNT's version of "What a Wonderful World"

• 2023 Gold Donors

As i said in another thread this is probably the best cover i have ever heard....how to take a great pop song and slay it. Awesome -

https://youtu.be/x3Zknt1xDUI

Holy shit! As we say in Australia, that's grouse!

Check out Europe's cover version of UFO's - Love To Love.

... as we said in the 80's you mean :)

... as we said in the 80's you mean :)

Haha...I guess i'm showing my age.

That is so grouse man and yeah we are showing our age but that's grouse.

There is a Korean "Stars" that inspired a thread of mine a few weeks back that is brilliant.

I have always loved Stryper's version of Shining Star.

Dweezil has some nice covers: Baby One More Time on the Ready To Rumble soundtrack and then off his Confessions cd he has Don Osmond singing lead on his cover of Stayin' Alive and of course his cover of his pops song My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama.

And lets not forget the entire (minus 2) self titled Fozzy release.

I am certain there are a mcmillion more...

Oh for infamous covers there is obviously Priest's Green Manalishi, Great White's Substitute, Face The Day, Once Bitten Twice Shy...

My favorite cover, complete with one of my favorite guitar solos. Very different from Fleetwood Mac's original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzazgG-y7uM

My 2nd favorite would have to be Mitch Ryder's cover of Prince's "When You Were Mine". Also very different from the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoUoX4Rd7iE