#1 underrated sunset strip sleaze/glam band

Shane

I would say Sweet F.A.

Not sure if they were from L.A though, anyone knows?

As for Vain, their debut was/is a masterpiece, not really sure if they should be considered underrated though, as usually fans of the genre knows and recognises their brilliance.

I think, even though I could Google I suspect for accuracy, but I think they were like a Georgia or Florida as the "FA" would imply. Great debut though.

And no I don't hate Geoff (opposite actually), just never could wrap my head around the praise for that Vain release. Just like that Blackboard Jungle, they both fall flat for me...

To me, Blackboard Jungle were about the opposite of Vain. At least Vain sounded like they cared. The Blackboard Jungle album, despite one or two decent tunes, sounds so dull and sombre and unloved. An okay album, but I care for it as much as it sounds like they cared to record it.

I might get rocks thrown at me, but what about the ZEROS.

Where are you, so I might come throw rocks at you?

Nah, I don't think I even know who they are.

Keep it that way. Absolutely fucking dreadful band.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Zeros but they certainly reached the level of success I would have expected from them had I signed them.

Roxy Blue were from Memphis and they have been noted as the last successful hair band in The History of Rock n Roll I believe. Not sure what that exactly means and I couldn't find album sales figures. Too late to the ball obviously but they were discovered by Jani Lane, signed to Geffen by Tom Zutaut and had their album produced by Mike Clink so expectations were obviously sky high.

Absolutely love this band!

• My Little Pony

I would say Sweet F.A.

As for Vain, their debut was/is a masterpiece, not really sure if they should be considered underrated though, as usually fans of the genre knows and recognises their brilliance.

I think, even though I could Google I suspect for accuracy, but I think they were like a Georgia or Florida as the "FA" would imply. Great debut though.

And no I don't hate Geoff (opposite actually), just never could wrap my head around the praise for that Vain release. Just like that Blackboard Jungle, they both fall flat for me...

To me, Blackboard Jungle were about the opposite of Vain. At least Vain sounded like they cared. The Blackboard Jungle album, despite one or two decent tunes, sounds so dull and sombre and unloved. An okay album, but I care for it as much as it sounds like they cared to record it.

Our tastes are often on opposite ends, but reading the comments on the main site, I think I might agree with you on this one. I'm not much into the Punk stuff.

I would say Sweet F.A.

Our tastes are often on opposite ends, but reading the comments on the main site, I think I might agree with you on this one. I'm not much into the Punk stuff.

I can guarantee that your taste; my taste; Jesus' taste - they will all combine as one when it comes to the Zeros. Like them or not they were a really, really bad band... and you'd have to be really hard into the glam scene to give them a chance, and an absolute diehard for everything glam to actually like them.

As for Roxy Blue... a very good band with a few good ballads, but honestly, overall, I thought 'Want Some?' was a pretty average hard rock album for the most part. Loved everything superficial about it, but the songs were seriously average.

There was a great label that re issue or might still running, called Eonian Records. They released a lot of stuff you might looking for. They also done a cool compilation.

Vain is a horrible band. Not only that, but they were from San Fran if I'm not mistaken. My vote would have to go to Rozy Coyote. I absolutely love that band. Lancia is right up there as well. Should have been huge.

Walmart messing with your head again Jacob...!?!!?

Vain are not horrible.

And Lancia.... I'm glad I only brought the russian version of this album becasue had I paid full price for the legit version I would have been very disappointed at paying that much for a cd with only really 2 great songs, and a hell of a lot of filler.

Vain is a horrible band. Not only that, but they were from San Fran if I'm not mistaken. My vote would have to go to Rozy Coyote. I absolutely love that band. Lancia is right up there as well. Should have been huge.

Walmart messing with your head again Jacob...!?!!?

Vain are not horrible.

And Lancia.... I'm glad I only brought the russian version of this album becasue had I paid full price for the legit version I would have been very disappointed at paying that much for a cd with only really 2 great songs, and a hell of a lot of filler.

QFT. Vain are excellent and in an entire class above pretty much every single other band mentioned in this thread, to be honest.

And yep, I did the same regarding Lancia and agree it's very reliant on a couple of strong songs. I do like 'Goodbye' as well as the two obvious gems that are 'Still in love' and 'Sweet melody.' But yeah, aside from those 3 songs there's not much else to speak about here. Quite similar to what I was saying about Roxy Blue, actually. Two good bands in theory, but sadly lacking strong songs (bar 2 or 3 each).

In my top 10 of all time. But somewhere we've debated to death whether that one is a 100% album.

Shame Davy Vain has never really followed it up with anything coming close to as consistent.

I actually like the Salty Dog and quite like the Sea Hags as well though. Very different stuff from Vain though.

What??

Enough Rope is pretty much as good imo. Great album.

What is wrong with Vain fans? Yes, 'Enough Rope' is pretty decent, though nowhere near the debut, imo. But did you all actually hear 'All Those strangers' and 'Move on it???' Those two are both basically as good as the debut. 'Move on it' is slightly more mellow, but nothing short of absolutely brilliant.

I do wonder why even fans of the band seem to fail to acknowledge these two fantastic albums. That's why Vain are such a brilliant band; because they have 3 fantastic albums in a row... it's not just about the debut for me.

They are good. Better than most put out. Good as the first? Na.

Not quite as good, but bloody close, imo. It's one of those truly classic debuts that was never going to be topped, but I was definitely not disappointed with the next two.

Davy Vain is one of the worst vocalists I have ever heard. I can't stand listening to him. That's why Vain is terrible. I don't know man. I haven't listened to them in like 10 years. Maybe my tastes have changed in that time. I highly doubt it though.

I must defend Lancia. Pain Sweet Symphony, Still in Love, Sweet Melody, Goodbye, and The Promise are all killer songs. Poetry In Motion and Wrecking Ball are highly underrated. The rest are solid, even if Jimmy is a bit cheesy. You can't deny the greatness of Paul Lancia's vocals either.

Davy Vain is one of the worst vocalists I have ever heard. I can't stand listening to him. That's why Vain is terrible. I don't know man. I haven't listened to them in like 10 years. Maybe my tastes have changed in that time. I highly doubt it though.

I must defend Lancia. Pain Sweet Symphony, Still in Love, Sweet Melody, Goodbye, and The Promise are all killer songs. Poetry In Motion and Wrecking Ball are highly underrated. The rest are solid, even if Jimmy is a bit cheesy. You can't deny the greatness of Paul Lancia's vocals either.

You like those high pitched vocalists, hey? Paul Lancia is an okay hard rock vocalist, but pretty awful overall, to be honest. He does an adequate job on that CD but you wouldn't like him to sing on all your CDs...

I love that style of vocals. Mark Slaughter is my favorite. Paul Lancia needs to release more music. He would probably make Vain a better band.

Wtf? Who is Paul Lancia? Is this the singer from the band Lancia? If so, the CD is OK...sure

Davy on the other hand is far from being the best singer in the world but his songs, his band, his vocal style offer something pretty original and great amongst all the me too releases, in the day and now. Vain is so sugary sweet you need to see a dentist after listening..but you always go back for more.

Shame you don't get it as IMO you're really missing out. No Respect is one of the best releases in our genre and truth be told he's never released a bad Vain album, just mediocre solo albums.

Davy also deserves credit. After all this time he hasn't turned his back on the scene or his fans. Enough Rope was proof of that after a long hiatus and the new one is also following a similar path. Rock on!

Yeah, with Paul Lancia replacing Davy Vain in Vain, you could kiss goodbye any songwriting talent. Davy Vain has always been an excellent songwriter, which is first and foremost why he/they have the fanbase they do.

Out of curiosity, Jacob, have you heard this one:

http://www.heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/glamcd.cgi?BandNum=2359&CDName=Destiny

Surely you agree it's pretty awful? Bad vocals, and bad songs. I don't wanna get stuck into the guy, but he was only a very moderate talent at absolute best. Davy Vain is/was one of the gems of the genre.

Some of my favorite Sunset Strip bands that I saw in Hollywood were Anna Black, Filthy Ritz, Sinn City, and Rings Of Saturn.