#1 underrated sunset strip sleaze/glam band

Shane

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Shane.

I'm sure as many answers as here are posters.

Personally I find the Shark Island and Rock City Angels still get played lots but I loved them back then.

Not sure what you mean by underrated. Many bands were highly rated but didn't have the commercial success they probably should have.

• My Little Pony

I wasn't even born, so I don't honestly know much about the Sunset Strip, or which bands played there, aside from the big names: Motley Crüe, Stryper, Ratt, Poison. Are those correct?

Saw as many of those bands as I could when they came to the UK.

Got to see Vain, Bulletboys, Faster Pussycat, Dangerous Toys, Skid Row and many many more. Oh how I wish I could have visited the sunset strip.

Oh Lorraine Lewis. Remember seeing her as well. :tits:

Even though DT was a Texas band.

Those are all the big names and again I will say Vain, gross.

I was to far up north (Seattle) to really get the full impact from that scene, even though many of the unknowns played the wet coast and we had our own pretty happening scene at the time.

For "known" LA area bands I'd say Sea Hags were too cool and I wish they had more material. Along with Salty Dog.

As for unknowns???

Dangerous Toys supported Faster Pussycat one tour.

Sea Hags played and got to see them. Well cool. Some live in the studio thing from them surfaced a few years ago. Did you hear that?

Of the more obscure stuff. Always loved the Brunette demos. Bang Gang also rarely get a mention but both those albums blow me away.

Are T.K.O. Sleeze/Glam? Perhaps too early? Should have been huge. Another Seattle band for you there.

• My Little Pony

Of the more obscure stuff. Always loved the Brunette demos.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the FnA releases? I think I should pick them up, of they're still readily available.

I was to far up north (Seattle) to really get the full impact from that scene, even though many of the unknowns played the wet coast and we had our own pretty happening scene at the time.

For "known" LA area bands I'd say Sea Hags were too cool and I wish they had more material. Along with Salty Dog.

As for unknowns???

The Vain debut is excellent imo.

Hardly big names compared to the real big sunset names like Motley, GnR, Poison, Ratt etc.

As for unknowns???

Did that post say that, or did it actually just say I HATE GEOFF.

You hate Vain yet like Sea Hags and Salty Dog?? Two of the worst bands I ever heard from the entire scene, imo, of course. But yeah, that's basically an opposite post for me. I really hated those two bands and the fact they both landed a record deal means, to me, they were viciously over-rated by someone. Vain, however, were undoubtedly an excellent band who should have gone places. Incredible tunes and no real filler at all on those entire first 3 albums (including the shelved 'All those strangers').

Anyway, I kinda assumed this thread would probably more about bands that didn't "make it" at all - as in, no labels or anything. In which case, I really have a soft spot for Strike Twice, who had some of their tunes released on Eonian Records recently, and Ana Black's later stuff (I assume around the early 90's) sounds like it would have been pretty amazing with production behind it.

I would say Sweet F.A.

Not sure if they were from L.A though, anyone knows?

As for Vain, their debut was/is a masterpiece, not really sure if they should be considered underrated though, as usually fans of the genre knows and recognises their brilliance.

I think, even though I could Google I suspect for accuracy, but I think they were like a Georgia or Florida as the "FA" would imply. Great debut though.

And no I don't hate Geoff (opposite actually), just never could wrap my head around the praise for that Vain release. Just like that Blackboard Jungle, they both fall flat for me...

Peter, never did hear those Sea Hag tunes you referenced, gonna have to do some digging. Had a chance to see them in Berkley , Ca back in the late 80's but I was under aged and could not get in the club. :( Some for when Salty Dog played in Seattle, I was 20 I think and missed that show too.

Not so "unknown" but I did like that debut from Roxy Blue (probably not from LA). And the S/T from the Bullet Boys was nice, but that one obviously got a lot of recognition.

Always loved Lizzy Borden as well, thought they were way better than most the bands that got way big. At least they made a boatload of records and I did get to see Lizzy a few years back in a very small venue for a very small crowd and he was amazing.

I would say Sweet F.A.

Not sure if they were from L.A though, anyone knows?

As for Vain, their debut was/is a masterpiece, not really sure if they should be considered underrated though, as usually fans of the genre knows and recognises their brilliance.

I think, even though I could Google I suspect for accuracy, but I think they were like a Georgia or Florida as the "FA" would imply. Great debut though.

And no I don't hate Geoff (opposite actually), just never could wrap my head around the praise for that Vain release. Just like that Blackboard Jungle, they both fall flat for me...

Peter, never did hear those Sea Hag tunes you referenced, gonna have to do some digging. Had a chance to see them in Berkley , Ca back in the late 80's but I was under aged and could not get in the club. :( Some for when Salty Dog played in Seattle, I was 20 I think and missed that show too.

Not so "unknown" but I did like that debut from Roxy Blue (probably not from LA). And the S/T from the Bullet Boys was nice, but that one obviously got a lot of recognition.

Always loved Lizzy Borden as well, thought they were way better than most the bands that got way big. At least they made a boatload of records and I did get to see Lizzy a few years back in a very small venue for a very small crowd and he was amazing.

I believe it is Sweet Fuck All but I could be wrong. I always assumed that is what they meant by it. I know Blackfish weren't in LA but I thought their debut should have blown up and made them stars. Circle of Soul were from Cali. Despite two brilliant albums they went nowhere.

Sweet Fucking Ass......that's what their name refers to. They were from Indiana...Indianapolis, I believe.

As for bands that were underrated.........I'm going to assume that the meaning was for underrated means unsigned...and should have been huge. With that being said.....

Big Bang Babies

Paradise

are just a couple of the unsigned ones.....

If you were looking at signed artists that should have been bigger from the Strip......I'll go with:

Roxy Blue

Hardline/Brunette

Pretty Boy Floyd

Heavy Bones

To name a few....

there are literally hundreds of bands that were awesome that went unsigned/unnoticed.....a nice part of my collection of music are all of these bands' albums, demos and CD's....literally 100's.

• My Little Pony

I might get rocks thrown at me, but what about the ZEROS.

Where are you, so I might come throw rocks at you?

Nah, I don't think I even know who they are.

http://www.heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/band.cgi?BandNum=2380

• My Little Pony

http://www.heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/band.cgi?BandNum=2380

Thanks, Russ. But I meant I have never listened to them. But I had obviously looked them up before, because the link under 'Z' was green, when they're normally blue.