Nordic Union (Erik Mårtensson/Ronnie Atkins) - s/t

Stefan

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the most immediate liking of an album upon first spin since the last White Widdow.

Eclipse started 2015 with a bang and Nordic Union will do the same for 2016.

I just love the rasp of Ronnie's voice, although more melodic than Pretty Maids.

Eclipse + Pretty Maids = a freakin' great project called Nordic Union.

Probably the most immediate liking of an album upon first spin since the last White Widdow.

Eclipse started 2015 with a bang and Nordic Union will do the same for 2016.

I just love the rasp of Ronnie's voice, although more melodic than Pretty Maids.

Eclipse + Pretty Maids = a freakin' great project called Nordic Union.

Not for me so far but I'm only 1.5 playthroughs in. Eclipse on the other hand grabs me from first track on first listen. Something must be wrong with me! Please get better....

Not for me so far but I'm only 1.5 playthroughs in. Eclipse on the other hand grabs me from first track on first listen. Something must be wrong with me! Please get better....

Nah mate, not just you. And I'm exactly the same as you, in terms of 1.5 spins. The second spin I got a bit disinterested (felt like I'd already heard it a million times, strangely enough) and attended to other musical matters.

Not saying it's bad at all. No way. Very good, strong album but I'm fearing this might not have the replay value for me.

Wow, big comment....no replay value??

Really.

I'm about 5 spins in and already thinking its up there with Armagedonnise.......and the last 2 Pretty Maids albums!

Excellent album.

I've never listened to Pretty Maids at all....But I absolutely love this Nordic Union album...It's exactly the kind of melodic hard rock I like. It's got some bite but at the same time is still very melodic with choruses that suck you in. It's basically the same kinda formula used on the past couple Eclipse albums....heck, if Erik sang on this album it probably could've easily been the next Eclipse album.

Having never listened to Pretty Maids I've went back and been trying to sample some songs here and there...nothing is really grabbing me. I like Ronnie's voice but I think it just comes down to the songs themselves just not having the same feel. I think Erik Martensson and his song crafting skills is really a big factor for me....the guy has the midas touch or something.

Sure hope these guys get together for another album.

Really.

I'm about 5 spins in and already thinking its up there with Armagedonnise.......and the last 2 Pretty Maids albums!

Excellent album.

I've never listened to Pretty Maids at all....But I absolutely love this Nordic Union album...It's exactly the kind of melodic hard rock I like. It's got some bite but at the same time is still very melodic with choruses that suck you in. It's basically the same kinda formula used on the past couple Eclipse albums....heck, if Erik sang on this album it probably could've easily been the next Eclipse album.

Having never listened to Pretty Maids I've went back and been trying to sample some songs here and there...nothing is really grabbing me. I like Ronnie's voice but I think it just comes down to the songs themselves just not having the same feel. I think Erik Martensson and his song crafting skills is really a big factor for me....the guy has the midas touch or something.

Really.

Excellent album.

If you like this album, you will love 'Pandemonium' and 'Motherland' from Pretty Maids, no doubt.

Really.

Excellent album.

If you like this album, you will love 'Pandemonium' and 'Motherland' from Pretty Maids, no doubt.

Yeah, and Martensson is is more consistent on the melodic song front, and has written a good album in this style... but I reckon I could pluck 30+ songs from Pretty Maids' discography that are better than any song on this album.

For a start, try 'Live until it hurts,' 'Never too late,' 'Die with your dreams' and 'Love and a fiction,' all from their 'Spooked' album. Even the title track I'd prefer to most of Nordic Union. Nothing at all against Nordic Union and Martensson, but Ronnie Atkins and Pretty Maids are sure as hell no second rate act in this story.

Ha, it's rather difficult to expect synergy from a frontiers project. Because the parts-eclipse+pretty maids- are greater than the whole- Nordic Union(an ugly name btw).

That's why I still didn't get it. Because every time I'm trying to listen to it, I just don't have the discipline to do so and I'm ending spinning Armageddonize or Motherland (I even have the stamina to take 8-10 steps to the turntable and crank them on).

Really.

Excellent album.

Yeah, and Martensson is is more consistent on the melodic song front, and has written a good album in this style... but I reckon I could pluck 30+ songs from Pretty Maids' discography that are better than any song on this album.

For a start, try 'Live until it hurts,' 'Never too late,' 'Die with your dreams' and 'Love and a fiction,' all from their 'Spooked' album. Even the title track I'd prefer to most of Nordic Union. Nothing at all against Nordic Union and Martensson, but Ronnie Atkins and Pretty Maids are sure as hell no second rate act in this story.

Ha ha you always pick those Maids songs and i always think really???

For sure they are decent songs but for me no where near Maids best songs.

Now if you said 'Hell on High Hells', 'INVU', 'Partners In Crime' or 'Dont Settle For Less' id probably be inclined to back your argument.

Of course in the whole Maids discography there are songs better than Nordic Union. But....

My God there are some killer songs on this album....'Hypocrisy', 21 Guns, Falling and Go are as good as any song youll hear this year i reckon.

And theres another 2 or 3 not far behind i reckon.

Really.

Excellent album.

Now if you said 'Hell on High Hells', 'INVU', 'Partners In Crime' or 'Dont Settle For Less' id probably be inclined to back your argument.

Of course in the whole Maids discography there are songs better than Nordic Union. But....

My God there are some killer songs on this album....'Hypocrisy', 21 Guns, Falling and Go are as good as any song youll hear this year i reckon.

And theres another 2 or 3 not far behind i reckon.

Agree with Glen for sure. And for me dare I say "Fallen" is my favorite Ronnie sung song in years.

1. The War Has Begun 9/10
2. Hypocrisy 8.5/10
3. Wide Awake 8/10
4. Every Heartbeat 7.5/10
5. When Death Is Calling 9.25/10
6. 21 Guns 7.5/10
7. Falling 9.5/10
8. The Other Side 8/10
9. Point of No Return 8.5/10
10. True Love Awaits You 7/10
11. Go 8.25/10

82.7%

1. The War Has Begun 9/10

2. Hypocrisy 8.5/10

3. Wide Awake 8/10

4. Every Heartbeat 7.5/10

5. When Death Is Calling 9.25/10

6. 21 Guns 7.5/10

7. Falling 9.5/10

8. The Other Side 8/10

9. Point of No Return 8.5/10

10. True Love Awaits You 7/10

11. Go 8.25/10

82.7%

Go is my favorite with that great melody and the only one I rated above 85.

Sometimes all this 'is it better than this that or whatever' is a bit pointless really.

And laying ratings on something less than a week after it was released is a bit overkill.

The only thing for sure is that Erik is a best out there for writing albums in a singers style.

Ive loved them all so far.

Sometimes all this 'is it better than this that or whatever' is a bit pointless really.

And laying ratings on something less than a week after it was released is a bit overkill.

The only thing for sure is that Erik is a best out there for writing albums in a singers style.

Personally I don't see a reason to add another frontiers overpriced cd to my collection. If I find it for a buck or 2, I'll get it for Go.

Or 'Know it ain't easy,' 'Walk away,' 'With these eyes,' 'Wouldn't miss you' and 'It comes at night.' Doesn't really matter what selection you make, there's tunes around every corner. I find 'Spooked' is the easiest reference point as, imo, it has a large quantity of their best songs all in one place.

I've heard it for longer than a week though. And several of these songs have been out there for a few weeks.

"Falling" is a 10, perfect melodic rocker! One of the best songs in the last 20 years for me.

Just listening to this in detail tonight and it turns out there is a track I really dig on it. I love the ballad; the excellently titled 'True love awaits you.' Despite the horrid title, the song is actually rather great. The chorus melody is easily the best on the album, imo, and it's a great tune.

Other than that, it is a nice solid album.

That is my least favourite track....the only one i skip. Go figure. Prob cos i cant wait to get to the excellence which is 'Go'

My 2nd favorite is "Go"

Or 'Know it ain't easy,' 'Walk away,' 'With these eyes,' 'Wouldn't miss you' and 'It comes at night.' Doesn't really matter what selection you make, there's tunes around every corner. I find 'Spooked' is the easiest reference point as, imo, it has a large quantity of their best songs all in one place.

Appreciate the suggestions on songs to check out with these guys. Love Nordic Union and never paid any attention to Pretty Maids before so been going through some of their stuff. Personally, I hadn't been finding much that sounded as melodic and as well put together as the Nordic Union CD which is just fantastic. I want stuff like Hypocrisy, Falling, Go.

I started with the past couple albums from them but it doesn't feel quite like Nordic Union to me...Hard to explain why...Bit heavier, not quite as melodic. I hadn't went back as far as the Spooked album but listening to those songs, they are sounding interesting and more along the melodic lines. Maybe I'll give that album a try. Live Until It Hurts, Never To Late and Die With Your Dreams do sound good...

Has Pretty Maids ever done a greatest hits album? It doesn't appear that they have. If they had one that would be a great place for someone like me who is new to them to start.