Established bands you've liked better after a change of singer

Write some comments about bands you like who switched vocalists after having already established themselves over a number of years, and you liked them even better than before.

You can pick any time in their history, so you don't necessarily have to think in relation to their most recent singer.

Marillion -- loved them with Fish, but couldn't believe I'd end up liking them even better with Steve Hogarth.

Van Halen -- getting Hagar to replace Roth was a real masterstroke, one of the real voices of rock.

Black Sabbath -- not very keen on Ozzy (but still like the early albums), however I loved their work with Dio and also Tony Martin (who I have continued to follow in other projects).

Savatage -- Jon Oliva was good, but I thought Zachary Stevens was a much better singer and much prefer his albums with them.

Axel Rudi Pell -- Jeff Scott Soto was great, but I like Johnny Gioeli even better.

Metal Church -- loved the three albums they made with Mike Howe, looking forward to hearing the new one.

Threshold -- after some revolving doors with singers, loved the stability and consistency Mac brought to the band... shame they went back to Damian Wilson, not very keen on his voice.

What about "revolving door" changes in singers as well?

Yngwie Malmsteen -- Every singer except Malmsteen himself, lol

Arena -- I'm quite indifferent to the various singers they've had. I've read that they get some vocal coaching so they fit nicely into the band's established prog "rock opera" sound, so never really had a problem with the revolving doors here.

Disagree with savatage and threshold. Prefer Oliva, Zak is very good but also very safe and a tad boring, then again so became the song writing after Criss' pasding.

Wilson is one of my favorite singers ever, threshold, ayreon, solo stuff.

Heat!!!

Much better with Erik.

Strongly disagree about Marillion. Fish was Marillion. They have never been able to replicate the unique style of those early albums. Script / Fugazi / MC are classics.

Strongly agree about Sabbath. The 2 Dio albums are light years ahead of the Ozzy stuff.

Sabbath with Dio and/or Tony Martin

Iron Maiden with Bruce Dickinson

Arch Enemy with Angela Gossow

Marillion were never the same once Fish had gone (although they HAVE made some very good albums, it's just not 'Marillion' for me.)

I much preferred Dream Theater's first album ... what they've done since does very little for me.

JOURNEY with Steve Perry

it's an odd one that - Journey's first 3 albums didnt really sell well and Columbia records almost demanded they change their style or else they could have been dropped.

In a way Perry was the beginning of that band.

I do wonder how often fans of the band actually play those first 3 records? or even own them lol. The music is wildly different thats for sure.

JOURNEY with Steve Perry

it's an odd one that - Journey's first 3 albums didnt really sell well and Columbia records almost demanded they change their style or else they could have been dropped.

In a way Perry was the beginning of that band.

I do wonder how often fans of the band actually play those first 3 records? or even own them lol. The music is wildly different thats for sure.

Of a Lifetime is my favorite Journey track. Kohoutek in Journey's top 10. Aynsley Dunbar is a monster!

Iron Maiden with Bruce

Van Halen with Sammy

Danger Danger with Paul Laine - at the time I was a bit sick of Ted

Motley with Corabi - could have been great, instead settled back into Vince and mediocrity for new music

The Angels with Dave Gleeson are amazing, sadly far better than they were in the later years with Doc

Anthrax with Joey Belladonna

Nightwish with Anette Olzon

Danger Danger with Paul Laine - at the time I was a bit sick of Ted

Ted is the voice of D2, pure and simple.

I also saw them live with both singers on stage and believe me - he is the voice.

No one has seriously mentioned Tom Paris taking over duties from Dizzy Dean in Britney Fox?? That was my first and most obvious.

And Lindsay, are you tripping, man? Hasn't the same guy been the Hardcore Superstar frontman all along??

As for Axel Rudy Pell, Charlie Huhn was my favourite of his vocalists, but then again, ironically, I do also agree with Fernando Garcia taking over in Victory. Love all Victory albums, but when Garcia entered the picture they undoubtedly released all their best stuff. And whilst on Fernando Garcia, Wicked Sensation's second album, with Garcia on vocals, is MUCH better than the debut.

China - Patrick Mason on their 2nd album was an improvement, though I liked the first guy. And purely on a vocal level, even though 'Go all the way' was much weaker than 'Sign in the sky,' I always thought Eric St Michaels was the best vocalist this band ever had.

Survivor.

Only bought their Jimi Jamison era albums a couple of years ago, and not being a band that I'd followed, didn't realise they originally had a different singer. After sampling those early albums, I didn't bother getting them as well.

I've no idea how people rate Dave Bickler, but I'm assuming Jimi Jamison is more popular...

No one has seriously mentioned Tom Paris taking over duties from Dizzy Dean in Britney Fox?? That was my first and most obvious.

And Lindsay, are you tripping, man? Hasn't the same guy been the Hardcore Superstar frontman all along??

As for Axel Rudy Pell, Charlie Huhn was my favourite of his vocalists, but then again, ironically, I do also agree with Fernando Garcia taking over in Victory. Love all Victory albums, but when Garcia entered the picture they undoubtedly released all their best stuff. And whilst on Fernando Garcia, Wicked Sensation's second album, with Garcia on vocals, is MUCH better than the debut.

China - Patrick Mason on their 2nd album was an improvement, though I liked the first guy. And purely on a vocal level, even though 'Go all the way' was much weaker than 'Sign in the sky,' I always thought Eric St Michaels was the best vocalist this band ever had.

I thought someone would mention Britny Fox. But I don't like ''Bite Down Hard'' that much tbh