List of Unknown (to me) Bands - Hard Rock / Glam - Late 80s - mid 90s

JC_AOR

A bit of a random post here but I stumbled across a website that has a bunch of music for download including lots of hard rock / glam etc from the late 80s through to the mid 90s. I won't list the site here (pm me if curious) because I know it's naughty to download but I was just hoping some of the very knowledgeable hard rock fans of that era could tell me if any of these are worth a look at. I compiled this list based upon band names, album covers and year of release only, so for all I know the music could be complete shit but hopefully there are some cool bands among these. This is just a fraction of what is on the site. Im guessing there is probably a lot of mid 90s sell out junk here too but hoping to find a few goodies. Some of these are just band names, others have an album / EP title beside them. Cheers. PS melodicrockoz could you please be among those to reply because you have heard of every band out there and recommend good shit, Geoff too... you are a bit of an encyclopedia of hard rock as well. :) And everyone else. Please reply now :P;) ..."please reply now" wasn't that an old joke from years ago on this forum?

Applehead-Meaning-1992

Bad-Applz-Bad-Applz-1990

Bangkok-Shock

Big-City-Make-Your-Mark-1993

Blak-No-Bed-Of-Roses-1992

Borderline

Bradford-Youth-Gang

Briar-Too-Young-1985

Buster-Rogue-Buster-Rogue-1994

Chainsaw-Jane-Jane-Is-A-Four-Letter-Word-1992

Cryer-Cryer-1991

Dead-Ballerinas-Dead-Ballerinas-1989

Ded-Chaplin-Ded-Chaplin-1St-1990

Ded-Chaplin-Final-Revolution-1992

Ded-Chaplin-Rock-The-Nation-1991

Degree-Xiii-Demo-1994

Dirty-Dealin

Dubeel-Dubiel

Duq-N-Cover-Incoming-1992

D-Z-Stanz-Brimstone-And-Fire-1994

Engine

Euphoria-Jack-1989

Fifi-La-Rou-Lick-And-A-Promise-1990

Freak-House

Geneva-Temptation-1988

Goat-Medication-Time-1991

Grand-Vision-Honor-And-Glory-1988

Guttersluts-Beg-Borrow-And-Steal-1995

Hat-Trikk-Hat-Trikk-1997

Haze-And-Shuffle-Get-Your-Haze-1993

Hollyrock-Legalize-Freedom-1987

Ivory-Tower-Usa

Jamie-Laritz-Jamie-Laritz-1990

Juicy-Lucy

Jump-Dreamin-1987

Kid-Sin

Knights-Reign-Knights-Reign-1994

Landslide-1

Leggesy-Leggesy-1987

Lions-Share-Ghost-Town-Queen-1988

Little-Angels-Too-Much-Too-Young-1992

Mad-Atchu-Liquor-Cure-1993

Madhouse-Everything-Kills-1990

Mark-Hafer-Wanna-Get-High-1998

Minaton-One-Day-In-Paradise-1995

Nations

Otokogumi-5-2-1992

Otokogumi-Im-Waiting-4-You-1991

Otokogumi-Otokogumi-1988

Paralyce-She-Loves-Another-Man-1987

Pata

Poobah-Switch-On-1989

Priority-Priority-1990

Priority-Undercover-1989

Rattlin-Bones

Remo-Calling-Out-For-You-1987

Rich-Rags-Psycho-Deadheads-From-Outer-Space-1993

Riff

Ritmo-Tribale

Rozy-Coyote

Sand-Rubies-Sand-Rubies-1993

Sator-Headquake-1992

Savino-Destiny-1995

Scam-Luiz-Heading-For-The-Dream-1992

Secret-Shelter-Beyond-The-Mirror-1996

Section-Eight-Bad-Girl-1988

Seven-Skys

Shame

Sister-Midnight-Satellite-City-1990

Sly-Boots-3-Of-A-Kind-1991

Smart-Ass

S-O-S-Es-Wird-Viel-Passiern-1996

Sp-Science-Project-1990

Steelover-Unreleased-Albums-1986

Street-Kidz-Out-Of-The-Ruins-1994

Striker-Usa

Sudden-Thunder

Sweet-Cheater

Sx-Sx-1990

Syrenade

Tender-Fury-Garden-Of-Evil-1989

Terra-Flames-Of-Passion-1987

The-Four-Horsemen-The-Four-Horsemen-1989

Theode-Scott-Love-Game-1989

Theode-Scott-Wedding-In-The-Sky-1993

The-Outrage-Dirty-Fantasies-1993

The-Outsiders-Skin-1990

The-Shake-Smash-And-Grab-1993

Trace

Traxter-Rock-N-Race-1991

Veralin-On-The-Run-1993

Virgin-Blue

Watchmen-Generation-1989

Whatever-Sugarbuzz-1996

White-Friday-Lord-Of-Revival-1987

Wild-Ones-Writing-On-The-Wall-1991

Xx-Badboy

Sator-Headquake-1992

Little-Angels-Too-Much-Too-Young-1992

Sweet-Cheater - Eatin' ain't Cheatin'

Three albums definitely worth checking out, they vary a lot in style though, but are all very good.

Ok cool, thanks Kristian actually I have heard of Sweet Cheater...but can't recall having heard them. And Little Angels I know of too but not this particular release. Will check out Sator. Cheers.

Isn't Briar week sought after? I thought I recall there being a thread here on that band.

Yeah I recall a release by them called Crown of Thorns or something but can't remember if I listened to it.

• My Little Pony

That's quite the list though. Is that all from one download?

I have Four Horsemen's debut album "Nobody Said it was Easy." I haven't played it much, but I'll try to give it a good listen so I can tell you what they sound like.

That's quite the list though. Is that all from one download?

I have Four Horsemen's debut album "Nobody Said it was Easy." I haven't played it much, but I'll try to give it a good listen so I can tell you what they sound like.

No I haven't downloaded all of that but that list is just some of what is on this site so I thought I would investigate a bit and see if anything is worth listening to. Thanks to Stefan for the Geneva samples. Cheers.

Hold shit mate, I know barely anything on that list. The ones I do know:

Bangkok-Shock ; this is the band Bangkok Shock, yes? They are fucking terrible. Awful sloppy punk/sleaze - avoid.

Bradford-Youth-Gang ; I have heard this but can barely remember it. I think it's very average/boring plain rock.

Briar-Too-Young ; like you I had 'Crown of thorns' and I only liked one song on it and didn't find them to be a very good band at all, so I'd be surprised if this is any good.

Juicy-Lucy ; very average band. Good production and cool sounding, but very bland songs. I think there's threads here on this band.

Landslide ; same band that released 'Say hello to the night?' If so, they're a meek, poor band with female vocals. Definitely not worth hearing... if it's the same band, which it might not be.

Little-Angels-Too-Much-Too-Young ; if you don't like the rest of their stuff (I don't) I wouldn't bother with this either.

Mad-Atchu-Liquor-Cure-1993 ; I heard this last year. I rated it 73% and thought it was pretty good hard rock kind of like a poor Skid Row in style, I think. Pretty rough production, if I recall right too.

Riff ; the 'Mission Love' album? If so, very, very average plain rock album. Avoid.

Sator-Headquake-1992 ; I've had this about 3 times now and can never flog it off on ebay for even $2. I actually might even still have it now because I couldn't sell the piece of shit. Another very average/poor hard rock disc. Sorry Kristian, I hate this one. :(

Seven-Skys ; the 'Waves and tides' CD? Ha I still remember hunting this down and being disappointed beyond belief when I finally found it. Crazy average disc. I wrote this on the main pages around the time - Saigon Kick is a pretty good call. Though I don't find the choruses to be as explosive as them. I always detected a bit of U2 in the mix somewhere too. I thought this was a decent disc but I had it for a long time without giving it more than several spins before I sold it. Not the best CD ever released on the Zero label.

Sudden-Thunder ; absolute rubbish too. I wrote this on the main pages at the time - Sort of agree with Peter here, except I feel the front cover matches it well. Dodgy poverty stricken cover for a pretty bland hard rock outing. Not absolute crap, but pretty dead if you ask me. Not bad if you can get it on the bottom side of $5.00, but definately easily left out of one's collection, IMO.

Sweet-Cheater ; wait for it - a positive comment is coming!!! :lol: Yeah, these guys are great. Released a few years ago on, was it Perris? They sound a bit like Ratt and are very cool. Definitely recommend this one.

Tender-Fury-Garden-Of-Evil-1989 ; absolute shit again. I remember being so excited by the cover and the music was just horrible. I wrote this - Didn't like this one at all and sold it on ebay a few months back. Now that I see there are TSOL members involved, I must say I can understand in hindsight. It's short snappy hard rock. Not bad, just not really my style. Also reminded me of a poor man's Faster Pussycat. Yeah, no great loss when I got rid of this one...

Trace ; this one was dog average too. I wrote these words - I went into the listening of this album without an erection. I did this because I thought the music itself would give me one, and then I could turn the volume up from across the room with my extended member. Unfortunately I sat un-aroused in the corner for most of this one. Very good musicianship and great tunes musically, but a very heavy accent and not the massive songs I was promised. Good solid hard rock, perhaps slightly like Vanessa but nowhere near as good. Solid, but average songs.

Sorry mate, that's about 1% of your list, but it's some pretty obscure stuff. :lol: Contrary to what a lot of others say, I have found my experience with rare indies to be pretty telling. Many of them are rare indies for a very good reason. The real gems generally seem to be the ones we all already know like a Friction or Hotboy etc. Good luck with the list, and please let me know if you find any gems. I'd love to check 'em out too.

Blak - No Bed of Roses....it's basically Castle Blak/Regent St. Claire.

Yeah, I was trying to think of the link with that one. That's also stupid average glam type rock, isn't it?

Curious about the Shame listing. There was a band with that name from the Sunset Strip days(late 80's) that was signed to Simmons(Gene Simmons) Records. I believe they had their debut album completed, but was never released.

Have you listened to the Shame songs. What do they sound like?

• My Little Pony

Don't ask Geoff for recommendations anymore.

He'd rather be at a 5 Seconds of Summer gig these days than anything glam rock related.

It certainly appears that way.

He'd rather be at a 5 Seconds of Summer gig these days than anything glam rock related.

So you guys are saying those CDs I said were shit are actually good? Fair enough. Enjoy your awful CDs while I listen to quality. :)

And Andre... whoops, I mean Lindsay, ( ;) ) what makes you think I don't like glam rock anymore because I also like 5SOS? Sure I like 5SOS and have not denied it, but I still like good glam rock as much as I ever did. Show me a good band and I'm their biggest fan.

So you guys are saying those CDs I said were shit are actually good? Fair enough. Enjoy your awful CDs while I listen to quality. :)

And Andre... whoops, I mean Lindsay, ( ;) ) what makes you think I don't like glam rock anymore because I also like 5SOS? Sure I like 5SOS and have not denied it, but I still like good glam rock as much as I ever did. Show me a good band and I'm their biggest fan.

2fishing.png

• My Little Pony

2fishing.png

Every time. Without fail.

Briar: Too-Young - this lot were touted as 'The Next Big Thing' back in the day. From what I remember, they were all in their late teens, and their sound is very much in the Elixir/Iron Maiden vein

Engine - is this the UK-based, NWOBHM lot, I wonder? A bit Staus-Quo-meets-Motorhead, if they are ...

Little Angels: Too Much Too Young - it's oooookay, but I prefer their debut album, 'Don't Prey For Me'. I saw them with Van Halen and with Bon Jovi, and they were brilliant.

The Four Horsemen: The Four Horsemen - this was an EP they put out before 'Nobody ...', I LOVE this band - probably best described as a heavier Skynyrd/Black Crowes vibe. With more swearing. At least two of them are dead now.

Whatever: Sugarbuzz - this band was put together by the drummer from The Wildhearts (Stidi), and is pretty much a Wildhearts/Honeycrack soundalike.

• 1 month later...

Hey JC Aor don't get to down on yourself over that, I have been way over mouthed and way loud about the fact I do it, I download the fuck out of hundreds of bands, all the time, I dont give a fuck, you know why, because I would never have heard, some of my most favorite bands in my life, had I not downloaded and listened to it, and plus, think of all the shit you have to wade through, like your list on here, dont ask, just get on there, download every single one of the albums off the website, then organize them into chunks, and start listening to every single one of them, when your done with 1 album, decide if you liked it or not, you'll probably come to the "not" conclusion on 90% of them if your like me, well then they just get sent to your trash, but eventually somethings going to start catching you, it's these rare moments, where some of my most favorite bands ever have been uncovered, those bands you catch, keep them, listen again, and if your like me, your gonna be on the net swimming through sites ordering all the shit you just discovered, so you can have the actual disc, which by my standards, is the only way, its not even an option, thats why I get so irritated when I do find a disc I love, and cannot locate an actual copy of it, the way I see it bro, what your doing isnt stealing, pirating, or doing anything wrong, you werent going to buy any of those discs anyways, unless your just a fucking puke, and you do just download it, and keep it, and have no interest in supporting the band who made it, then I think your genetic junk, and really dont want nothing to do with you, but I dont think your like that, I think you probably will order any band you find that you like, cause most of us metal-aor-etc fans understand the importance of supporting the artists that make the rare kind of music we enjoy, k you got my point, right? if your going to download some of those bands, might as well just do everyone of them, they are free, and why chance missing a band you might really enjoy, right? but what do I know.

Briar: Too-Young - this lot were touted as 'The Next Big Thing' back in the day. From what I remember, they were all in their late teens, and their sound is very much in the Elixir/Iron Maiden vein

Engine - is this the UK-based, NWOBHM lot, I wonder? A bit Staus-Quo-meets-Motorhead, if they are ...

Little Angels: Too Much Too Young - it's oooookay, but I prefer their debut album, 'Don't Prey For Me'. I saw them with Van Halen and with Bon Jovi, and they were brilliant.

The Four Horsemen: The Four Horsemen - this was an EP they put out before 'Nobody ...', I LOVE this band - probably best described as a heavier Skynyrd/Black Crowes vibe. With more swearing. At least two of them are dead now.

Whatever: Sugarbuzz - this band was put together by the drummer from The Wildhearts (Stidi), and is pretty much a Wildhearts/Honeycrack soundalike.

Back on Dont Pray For Me...great album. 1989 I believe and will be soon rated by yours truly. I expect it to score handsomely :-)

You you are quite correct - they were a killer live band.