Rock Band's 'grunge album'. Good, respected or why bother?

TangoCharlie

With Classic Rock Magazine calling Def Leppard's 'Slang' their 'grunge' album, it got me thinking about other bands they have down-tuned and jumped on the bandwagon.

Albums I can remember

Def Lep -'Slang' (really like it. More Zeppelin than grunge?)

Warrant -Ultraphobic (some great tracks and a killer ballad on there)

Kiss - 'Carnival of Souls' (never sure about this one!)

White Lion -'Freak of Nature' (ok so not really WL but twisting their elements. Loved it!)

Glenn Hughes -Addiction (contained some killer tunes. One of his best IMO)

Should they have bothered? Can you add any? Opinions of the above?

Dokken-Shadowlife

• My Little Pony

I don't think any of these albums are "grunge".

No. Most didn't go full on Grunge, but they definitely did try to adapt.

• My Little Pony

John Schlitt - Shake

John Schlitt - Unfit for Swine

DeGarmo & Key - To Extremes

Extreme - Waiting for the Punchline

Slik Toxik - Irrelevant

None of these are full on Grunge, but they certainly were trying. I personally love them all.

I dig Warrant's Ultraphobic... KISS' Carnival Of Souls has a couple of decent songs but it's not a fave.

I dont even mind some of Dokken's Shadowlife...

I dont see many of these mentioned as being grunge.

Alternative is a more apt description for what a lot of these bands did.

Ultraphobic and Belly to belly I loved. Ditto for D2s Dawn. Wildsides self titled album was crap, but I did really like two songs on it. Sven Galis In wire was dog shit.

Wildside-s/t

Sven Gali-Inwire

Dangerous Toys-T.A.F.K.A.D.T

These were terrible albums!

Those were so bad. I remember playing that DT and Wildside for the first time and i wanted to punch someone. F@#k they lost their mind to make those albums.

Pink Cream 69's albums Change and Food For Thought was a slight left turn for the band, but after a few spins, they grew on me... Especially Food For Thought

Wildside-s/t

Sven Gali-Inwire

Dangerous Toys-T.A.F.K.A.D.T

These were terrible albums!

Those were so bad. I remember playing that DT and Wildside for the first time and i wanted to punch someone. F@#k they lost their mind to make those albums.

I actually liked the DT release....probably the only one here that did....

I don't know if I'd exactly call it a "grunge" album, but it sure seemed like Warrior Soul had lost the plot when they released "Chill Pill" in '93. I remember buying that one new off the rack, taking it straight home and not knowing WHAT the f*ck to make of the noises that were coming from my stereo...haha.

It wasn't till years later that I learned that they'd made that record weird and artsy on purpose as a middle finger to the Geffen label.

Chill Pill was the last album on their Geffen contract and since the label had done nothing to support their previous three (awesome) albums, Warrior Soul didn't want to waste their time on another disc of "A" material just to watch it go down the drain.

So they went nuts in the studio, made a record that was totally bizarre and unmarketable, then went "see ya" and left Geffen holding the bag.

In other words, they totally trolled the David Geffen Company, before "trolling" was even a thing. :lol:

So yeah, Chill Pill is still a pretty terrible record (aside from a handful of tracks) but I gotta admit, understanding the circumstances of its creation has helped me appreciate it somewhat. It was also VERY punk rock of the band to cut their own throats like that. RESPECT!! :beerbang:

• 2 years later...

From those listed here, I'd consider the following as a bit grungy

Warrant - Ultraphobic - love it

Kiss - Carnival of Souls - Managed to get in to the single, but then went back a few years later and couldn't find what I liked about it. Their worst album.

Dangerous Toys - T.A.F.K.A.D.T - I guess I'm the second one here who likes this album. Not in my top 100 I recently posted, because there are some tracks here that are average. But other tracks are awesome...

Cure The Sane - duh! (a bit grungy)

Transmission - I see this as a follow up to Space Oddity, same style and subject matter. (not very grungy)

Heard It all - amazing ballad (not grungy at all)

Better To Die - great straight up rocker (not grungy at all)

Share The Kill - nice opener (pretty grungy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYtseNJmGoA