THE WINERY DOGS w/Billy Sheehan, Mike Portnoy & Richie Kotzen

I'm rarely a fan of super bands, especially when they sound bluesy. But fuck me this shit is freakin' excellent. Richie is damn fine on vocals (I read somewhere that he would be the result of Chris Cornell and Prince having a child) and of course he's great on the guitars, Billy is on fire and Mike albeit toned down compared to his DT days, is awesome.

I hope this gets released pretty soon. They've already got 3 very, very, very similar videos out on YouTube. I'm guessing budget for videos is not longer important in 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnMBix9Zq5o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avwo76gGTDw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuDME1JHicY

Not saying anything bad about the music or musicians involved, but what is it with these shit band names?

Winery Dogs, Chickenfoot ... are we really getting that desperate for new band names these days?

Good stuff!!!

I'm sure I'll buy this as I usually like anything with Kotzen involved but I agree with Captain Howdy that it's a horrible name and I've felt that way since their name was announced a few months back. From what I've read even Portnoy hates the name....

I do wonder what this might have sounded like if the project with Sykes would have happened but Kotzen is an amazing player and vocalist.

Another frustrating thing was having TNT and Tony Harnell on the ship and NOT playing together. Of course, I wasn't on the ship, but if I was, I would have been pissed they didn't play a few songs! :)

I plan on going next year!

From Mike Portnoy via the Winery Dogs Facebook page:

From MP: I need to correct a huge misconception about The Winery Dogs that I keep seeing floating around the internet...this band was ONLY EVER myself, Richie & Billy!

John Sykes was NEVER a part of this band! Myself & Billy were previously working w John on an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT PROJECT (consisting of all strictly John's material).

When that didn't pan out, Billy & I began working FROM SCRATCH with Richie (with all 3 of us collaborating together) on an entirely new band...and THAT is when The Winery Dogs were born. It is important that people understand this!!

OK, carry on....thanks! : )

------------------------------

I'd never heard about the Sykes collaboration anyway, so this is all news to me.

:P

half of Mr Big on this band, can't be a bad thang :) speaking of monsters of rock cruise, it seems everyone from Mr Big will be on the cruise, just in different bands............... lol.......... how frustrating ;) you'd hope Mr Big'll get announced for a gig or two on the ship, surely.

I thought it was only Sheehan in this band. Who else from Mr Big is in the band?

• My Little Pony

half of Mr Big on this band, can't be a bad thang :) speaking of monsters of rock cruise, it seems everyone from Mr Big will be on the cruise, just in different bands............... lol.......... how frustrating ;) you'd hope Mr Big'll get announced for a gig or two on the ship, surely.

I thought it was only Sheehan in this band. Who else from Mr Big is in the band?

Ritchie Kotzen replaced Paul Gilbert.

• My Little Pony

Ok, I missed that as not the biggest Mr Big fan. It just confused me as I was sure last I heard the band was the original line up.

The current band is the original line up. Well, is there a current line up?

These dogs really made something enjoyable, especially when you dig a very highly skilled musician jamming and of course with a good-crafted songs too, not just showing off some shreds and beats. 'Elevate' begin with a composition that reminds me of LZ 'Black Dog' and the chorus is very melodic, I like it. The next 3 tracks are okay but honestly, I'm not impressed much because despite of the strong solos, the verses are kinda average. 'The Other Side' picked up again, the chorus is excellent, although they can just omit the last 1.30 minutes of solo which I think is kinda boring.

'You Saved Me' is just beautiful ballad, this and 'Regret' made two best ballads of the album. 'One More Time' has nice groovy riffs but the song somehow is just quite pale, I guess it's the weakest track here, although I can still rate it around 7. 'Damaged' is slow thing and also very good. Out of 13 tracks, there are at least 5 ballads and all of them are above average. 'Criminal' is a nice mid-tempo track and one of the best in the second half.

Production is around 8/10, flawless musicianship awarded them a perfect 10/10, and I guess replay value is around 7.25 or 7.5, because jam session stuff like this required a certain mood and probably not for everyday, but it's still indeed a strong album.

80%

wow, Sykes was slated for this one at the start of the project!!! hmmmm

• My Little Pony

wow, Sykes was slated for this one at the start of the project!!! hmmmm

No. Mike Portnoy recently explained that John Sykes was working on an entirely different project altogether.

• 3 weeks later...