Last great Bon Jovi ballad?

66 mustang

"Great" and "Bon Jovi Ballad" in the same sentence = does not compute.

Sorry, I had to. :lol:

Silent Knight

I think you already know my views when it comes to Bon Jovi and ballads ... *chuckle* ... although I CAN listen to 'Bed Of Roses' without cringing ...

I loved the ballad Til we aint strangers anymore from Lost Highway as I happen to be a LeAnn Rimes fan as well.

Also, I suppose the term ballad depends on how you define it. I mean, for me When we were beautiful is balladesque, and is one of my favourite Jovi songs in years.

That said, as good as albums like HAND, Crush and Bounce are for me, none of them had a ballad that was that great.

The new album I still hasnt sunk in enough yet to judge to be fair though.

IMO their last great ballad is 'You had me from hello' from the 'Bounce' CD. I know a lot of people thought it was corny, but I love it. Beautiful chorus hook and melody. And just before that, I thought 'She's a mystery' off 'Crush' is a magnificent song - one of their best ballads.

Sadly, though, there is not a great or even good ballad on any of their CDs from 'HAND' to 'What about now.'

I agree it's a crying shame, considering that I think every single ballad on their albums up to and including 'These Days' was/is magnificent or at least pretty damn good. They definitely lost their touch when it came to ballads, which is sad, because despite their change in style though the years, a good ballad should always have been a fail-safe on their CDs... :(

She Don't Know Me from the debut is the only ballad by them I like. Never Say Goodbye has a decent melody but the lyrics are embarrassing.

'She Don't Know Me' is one of my fav songs of all time.

She Don't Know Me from the debut is the only ballad by them I like. Never Say Goodbye has a decent melody but the lyrics are embarrassing.

'She Don't Know Me' is one of my fav songs of all time.

It's a great song but def not a ballad?

IMO their last great ballad is 'You had me from hello' from the 'Bounce' CD. I know a lot of people thought it was corny, but I love it. Beautiful chorus hook and melody. And just before that, I thought 'She's a mystery' off 'Crush' is a magnificent song - one of their best ballads.

Sadly, though, there is not a great or even good ballad on any of their CDs from 'HAND' to 'What about now.'

I agree it's a crying shame, considering that I think every single ballad on their albums up to and including 'These Days' was/is magnificent or at least pretty damn good. They definitely lost their touch when it came to ballads, which is sad, because despite their change in style though the years, a good ballad should always have been a fail-safe on their CDs... :(

I agree and actually love all the Ballads on Bounce. It has a couple of duds but is easily around 85% rating.

• 3 months later...

"I'll Be There For You" would be my choice.

I suppose I'm always drawn to the old stuff because it hit home at an incredibly important and defining time in my life when I (we) were so much younger.

Slippery was released in late 1986 and hit big the spring into summer 1987. I was 18 years old and in "real" love for the first time. It was awesome!

New Jersey was released a couple years later in the fall 1988 when I was going through my first "real" break-up (not talking about the junior high and or even high school semester-long romances). It was crushing!

I could write a book about that period of my life and nary miss a detail. Can't say it feels like only yesterday, but it certainly doesn't seem like 25+ years ago. The memories are still so vivid... etched in time like carvings in stone.

Anyway, I bash Bon Jovi enough on this site that I feel I should certainly give credit where credit is due, and from the summer of 1986 through the summer of 1989 a Bon Jovi tune was almost always playing in the background...

The soundtrack of my youth.