you know what? Bon Jovi is still pretty cool

66 mustang

I know that they are not what they were but they are still pretty cool. They were the poster boys for 80's Metal and such but I always found them to be a little different. Even in the middle of the hair craze they had blue collar under-tones in many of their songs. Having grown up on Jersey and haveing Springsteen as a bench mark in the area that kind of story telling in the songs seeped into the Bon Jovi writing too. it may not have been a blue collar at the BOSS did it but you could find that their songs could be cousins and not borthers. Seeing Bon Jovi on the 12-12-12 benefit concert for the people recovering from SANDY was just a remeinder how much talent Jon and Ritchie have. They have changed? sure they have. They have remained a force in mainstreem music? yes they did. The only 80's hard rock band to do so at such a level. Lots of respect to them for that. And their sound has changed a lot but underneath it all I can still get that Jersey, growing up with Springsteen everywhere influence in the music. they have changed but the instant a new Bon Jovi song is out there is no mistake about who it is. the music has changed but the main core of the music is still there in my opinion.

I know I will get MANY people who will not agree with me but really, Bon Jovi has made almost all the right moves. I would love to see them get into a retro-mode and put out an 80's inspired album but I only see it working as a double release of 2 individual cd's, one retro 80's and one with what they are doing now or a double album, 2cd's for the price of 1 would be great. would be able to please long time fans and the new fans. You coudl see it last night that the old songs were so awesome for the crowd but the new songs fit in really good with the set list.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a Bon Jovi fan in the slightest but I gotta give credit where it's due, Jon and his band are almost always the first band to step up to raise money whenever there's a good cause. Though sometimes I swear Jon's just waiting for Bruce Springsteen to die so he can inherit the mantle of New Jersey's Favorite Rock Son. :D

Bon Jovi has made almost all the right moves.

When their music style started falling out of favor in the early 90s Bon Jovi did the smartest thing they could've done - they went away for a while. Jon went off and tried acting for a couple of years, the other guys did solo stuff and other projects, and they put Bon Jovi on ice rather than trying to "go '90s" or keep slogging it out on the retro/county fair greatest hits circuit. They were gone just long enough for their fans to miss them, then when they came back - boom! They're arguably just as big - or bigger - than they ever were. Gotta give'em props for that.

Im sorry I gotta strongly disagree, I cant help it, it's just how I feel

Always had and will always have plenty of time for Bon Jovi. In the past on this forum I've probably come across as one of those creepy "fanboy" types in trying to get my points across to the haters, of which there are many here. But yeah, they still do just fine.

The top Bon Jovi songs are some of the best in our genre IMO. Many bands we love would have a tough time trying to squeeze a song into the top 15 Jovi songs.

Fact.

Also back in the day they were one of the best live bands. Fifth row hammy odeon for the slippery tour was awesomeness.

Fact.

I'm not a Bon Jovi fan in the slightest but I gotta give credit where it's due, Jon and his band are almost always the first band to step up to raise money whenever there's a good cause. Though sometimes I swear Jon's just waiting for Bruce Springsteen to die so he can inherit the mantle of New Jersey's Favorite Rock Son. :D

When their music style started falling out of favor in the early 90s Bon Jovi did the smartest thing they could've done - they went away for a while. Jon went off and tried acting for a couple of years, the other guys did solo stuff and other projects, and they put Bon Jovi on ice rather than trying to "go '90s" or keep slogging it out on the retro/county fair greatest hits circuit. They were gone just long enough for their fans to miss them, then when they came back - boom! They're arguably just as big - or bigger - than they ever were. Gotta give'em props for that.

if memory serves me correct, the director for U-571 said the Jon could be a very fine actor if that is what he wanted to do. I enjoyed that film a lot. I also thougth he was great on Ally McBeal.

if memory serves me correct, the director for U-571 said the Jon could be a very fine actor if that is what he wanted to do. I enjoyed that film a lot. I also thougth he was great on Ally McBeal.

I thought he did a terrific job acting like the lead singer of a very talented hard rocking 1980s band, who oddly enough did one of my favorite albums with 7800 Farrenheit, so I dont disagree, he probably could be a very excellent and talented actor if he wanted to be.

I enjoy all the Bon Jovi releases and probably the last one could be the worst, but somehow it's getting slightly better after several spins, although you need to accept the fact that it ain't no 'New Jersey' nor 'Slippery', probably Bon Jovi gone a lil bit Coldplay meets Matchbox 20, but they that's pretty fine.

These Days is my most fave album and followed by Keep The Faith. Strangely when people pick Slippery or New Jersey as their best, well maybe that two newer albums are the ones that I got through my high school years with

i think the only way you would like his newer stuff better was if you were a teenager at the time.

i dont like anything of theirs after new jersey,, the guitar sound lost its metal drive & his voice lost its shrillness,

I dont like anything but 7800 Farrenheit, oh and the one song they publicly insulted, Edge of A Broken Heart, outside of that, it's pretty balless wimpy shit, maybe if Slippery hadnt been rammed down our throats it would be ok, as the song Without Love is pretty good, but I really have never thought that highly of BJ, there were far better bands comming out of that era that fucking obliviate bon jovi in that genre! sorry just not a fan and dont understand the massive hype they recieved?

when youre a kid,, you can pretty much take lyrics from any band you like and interperate them to be connecting with your life and experiences.

the emotional bonding with the music (as well as tv, movies) at that age is what settles to becomes nostalgia later on.

as you get older you no longer make that stong bond.

perfect example,, how many of us here thought "why the F* is harrison ford making another indiana jones movie at retirement age?"

I dont like anything but 7800 Farrenheit, oh and the one song they publicly insulted, Edge of A Broken Heart, outside of that, it's pretty balless wimpy shit, maybe if Slippery hadnt been rammed down our throats it would be ok, as the song Without Love is pretty good, but I really have never thought that highly of BJ, there were far better bands comming out of that era that fucking obliviate bon jovi in that genre! sorry just not a fan and dont understand the massive hype they recieved?

To each their own but I bought that debut on the day of release & it was fantastic.

Remember hearing Runaway on Tommy Vances Friday Night Rockshow & all my mates were like - who they fuck is that? It was just awesome.

To each their own but I bought that debut on the day of release & it was fantastic.

Remember hearing Runaway on Tommy Vances Friday Night Rockshow & all my mates were like - who they fuck is that? It was just awesome.

Jeez you really are old. ;)

When I was a rebellious kid I always said how I listened to so many bands that were better than Bon Jovi and that others should have been huge instead of Bon Jovi. But in hindsight, that type of thought it pretty pointless. Not every great band is ever going to be massive and there's always going to be the select few in every genre that get "lucky." And it is luck, whether anyone admits it or not, with regard to who makes it and who doesn't. And Bon Jovi did get lucky.

But unlike so many bands that were HUGE and that just plain sucked (*cough Aerosmith, cough Van Halen*) at least Bon Jovi did have a huge selection of great melodic rock songs to back it up. If you're a fan of melodic rock and you deny that there aren't a heap of KILLER songs on the three albums that shot them into and kept them in a state of super stardom ('Slippery,' 'New Jersey' and 'Keep The Faith') you're on some wikked drugs.

Love them or hate them, they had the songs to back up their status as the poster boys for melodic / commercial hard rock. And good luck to them for it. If it wasn't them it'd be some other band that people would criticize just for being popular.

I almost hated Slippery When Wet, because all of a sudden 'everyone' loved Bon Jovi - people at school all of a sudden going - wow, there's this great band, when you had already liked them & listened for 3 years, 2 albums & seen them live.

To be honest there is an element of luck in a band getting huge, but you cannot dispute the drive & passion that Bon Jovi had at the outset. I remember that Dominion Theatre gig on their first tour when the PA failed - most bands would called it a day and ended the gig. Not JBJ - instead he came out with an acoustic guitar and shouted the songs to the audience. Pretty amazing really.

It's having the drive, the passion, the desire to make it combined with a smidgen of luck.

• My Little Pony

Yeah, I never was a big fan of Bon Jovi. I actually felt a little disdain towards them simply because I loved so many great bands but the only one people knew was Bon Jovi. I saw them earlier this year only because the tickets were cheap, but, shit!, these guys put on a great show. Definitely found a new respect for them, but I still think there are many that are better.

I love 'New Jersey' and 'Keep The Faith' (apart from the ballads - I've never liked JBJ's ballads) ... but there are times when I get utterly sick of hearing the same damn songs ('Livin' On A Prayer' and 'You Give Love A Bad Name') being played on the radio whenever the DJ thinks that it's time to ROCK ... that said, you can't knock the bloke for getting lucky, and kudos to him for the stuff he does for charity. Personally, I lost interest in Bon Jovi the band after I saw them at Wembley in '95 ... that show was one of the most boring shows I've ever seen ... everything just felt laboured ... after that, they fell off my radar (with the exception of the odd song here and there.) Mind you, I still get tempted to buy their more recent stuff when I read the review ... *chuckle* ... perhaps they're best described as being a 'guilty pleasure'? :)

Yeah, I never was a big fan of Bon Jovi. I actually felt a little disdain towards them simply because I loved so many great bands but the only one people knew was Bon Jovi. I saw them earlier this year only because the tickets were cheap, but, shit!, these guys put on a great show. Definitely found a new respect for them, but I still think there are many that are better.

Yeah put on a great show now, but believe me they are nothing now compared to how they were in the mid 80s - that's my point - quite a few slag BJ as being 'lucky' etc, but the fact is they were one of the best bands around at their peak.

Seriously, I've seen so many great bands over the years but BJ were one of the best

When I was a rebellious kid I always said how I listened to so many bands that were better than Bon Jovi and that others should have been huge instead of Bon Jovi. But in hindsight, that type of thought it pretty pointless. Not every great band is ever going to be massive and there's always going to be the select few in every genre that get "lucky." And it is luck, whether anyone admits it or not, with regard to who makes it and who doesn't. And Bon Jovi did get lucky.

But unlike so many bands that were HUGE and that just plain sucked (*cough Aerosmith, cough Van Halen*) at least Bon Jovi did have a huge selection of great melodic rock songs to back it up. If you're a fan of melodic rock and you deny that there aren't a heap of KILLER songs on the three albums that shot them into and kept them in a state of super stardom ('Slippery,' 'New Jersey' and 'Keep The Faith') you're on some wikked drugs.

Love them or hate them, they had the songs to back up their status as the poster boys for melodic / commercial hard rock. And good luck to them for it. If it wasn't them it'd be some other band that people would criticize just for being popular.

LUCK?? Wasnt his uncle or dad or something the head of Mercury Records? I don't believe BJ had any kind of luck, they had from what I understand access to every demo that came through the record label, in which they could easily sit and pick out their favorites to any of the thousands of un copyrighted songs sent in by thousands of unknown hacks, then after they had selected the best, learn them with his own band, have whoever it was he was related to in the business get him studio time and producers, then after he had cut all the songs, he had easy access to every radio station in the country, I have read reports on this since I was a kid and read Kerang, Hit Parader, Circus, etc. when you hear something like this once, it's easy to blow off as hearsay, when you've read similar stories hear and there for 25+ years, you have to assume some kind of truth drives it? and sorry Geoff, where you and I agree almost more then any other 2 members of this board on the kind of music we like,pretty much anytime I like something and post about it, either you already have posted on the same group\song, or you have not heard it and are the only one who posts something positive on it, you state, and I have a suspicion it's to get me going, but it may not be, you state that Van Halen suck?? Um! I guess you are 100% correct, I am wrong, it wasn't until you posted this I had to go back and reexamine my opinion, in no way does the guitar playing of Richie Ricardo Sambora match anything i have ever heard played by the mediocre Edward Van Halen, Eddie was clearly ripping somebody off when he came out of nowhere back in 78, when bands like Foreigner, Styx, cough Aerosmith, Scorpions, and AC\DC were the premier rock bands, and they all had songs like Eruption on them, everybody was doing that at the time, he ripped them all off, Van Halen S\T was the most predictable, unoriginal, and mediocre album in the history of hard rock albums, and your right, did suck, and nothing Van Halen put out could even hold a match to Bon Jovi, Van Halens best song wasn't even in league with Bon Jovi's worst, you are correct, and I am publicly posting, you are right, I am wrong, and why is it that what I consider to be Bon Jovi's best song, was on a little known soundtrack, and they personally degraded it, and called it a glitch in their catalog, and Jon and Tico openly said it was embarrassing, they wrote it in a day, and only released it under contractual obligation? I mean I don't know about any of you but I consider Edge Of A Broken Heart the best material they ever released?? sorry, I stand corrected, Bon Jovi is the greatest band to ever record an album.

LUCK?? Wasnt his uncle or dad or something the head of Mercury Records? I don't believe BJ had any kind of luck, they had from what I understand access to every demo that came through the record label, in which they could easily sit and pick out their favorites to any of the thousands of un copyrighted songs sent in by thousands of unknown hacks, then after they had selected the best, learn them with his own band, have whoever it was he was related to in the business get him studio time and producers, then after he had cut all the songs, he had easy access to every radio station in the country, I have read reports on this since I was a kid and read Kerang, Hit Parader, Circus, etc. when you hear something like this once, it's easy to blow off as hearsay, when you've read similar stories hear and there for 25+ years, you have to assume some kind of truth drives it? and sorry Geoff, where you and I agree almost more then any other 2 members of this board on the kind of music we like,pretty much anytime I like something and post about it, either you already have posted on the same group\song, or you have not heard it and are the only one who posts something positive on it, you state, and I have a suspicion it's to get me going, but it may not be, you state that Van Halen suck?? Um! I guess you are 100% correct, I am wrong, it wasn't until you posted this I had to go back and reexamine my opinion, in no way does the guitar playing of Richie Ricardo Sambora match anything i have ever heard played by the mediocre Edward Van Halen, Eddie was clearly ripping somebody off when he came out of nowhere back in 78, when bands like Foreigner, Styx, cough Aerosmith, Scorpions, and AC\DC were the premier rock bands, and they all had songs like Eruption on them, everybody was doing that at the time, he ripped them all off, Van Halen S\T was the most predictable, unoriginal, and mediocre album in the history of hard rock albums, and your right, did suck, and nothing Van Halen put out could even hold a match to Bon Jovi, Van Halens best song wasn't even in league with Bon Jovi's worst, you are correct, and I am publicly posting, you are right, I am wrong, and why is it that what I consider to be Bon Jovi's best song, was on a little known soundtrack, and they personally degraded it, and called it a glitch in their catalog, and Jon and Tico openly said it was embarrassing, they wrote it in a day, and only released it under contractual obligation? I mean I don't know about any of you but I consider Edge Of A Broken Heart the best material they ever released?? sorry, I stand corrected, Bon Jovi is the greatest band to ever record an album.

Wow mate, that's a lot to digest.

Just to address what of it I can:

See, to me, Jon Bon Jovi knowing someone at Mercury is good luck... and maybe enough good luck to give them the boost they needed to get started. And that's what I mean by there being an element of luck in bands "making it."

Just out of curiosity, have I ever said Sambora is a better guitarist than Eddie Van Halen? Or that Van Halen ever ripped anyone off? Or than Van Halen's best song is not as good as Bon Jovi's worst?

Thanks for posting publicly that I'm right and you're wrong - I assumed it was common knowledge? But despite me saying a lot of awesome things, I am not sure where you got the idea I said any of those things. For the record:

Edward Van Halen is a very good guitarist. Technically better than Richie Sambora and a lot of guitarists. But he is a terrible song writer and I would prefer to listen to most other guitarists, including Richie Sambora. Even though... and I'll bold it for you... Edward Van Halen is a better guitarist than Richie Sambora.

Seriously, the Van Halen ripping people off - where'd you even get that from? Nice fiction, mate. If there was another band that bad, why the hell would anyone want to rip them off?! ;) Nah, Van Halen are their own band with their own sound and style. It's just that they write bad songs.

And Van Halen have about 10 songs in their entire discography that are not only better than Bon Jovi's worst songs, but probably as good as a lot of their best. Van Halen do have a few good songs. Only problem is that there's a great song in approximately every 10 songs they record.

Anyway, I'm glad you realise that Van Halen suck, and that I was the one to help you see that. Always glad to assist. :)

And I agree that 'Edge of a broken heart' is definitely in the best 10 Bon Jovi songs. Killer tune.

Creep.

I was one of the biggest Bon Jovi fans on earth from 1985 (after seeing them open for Ratt) through KEEP THE FAITH in 1992 / 1993... But for the most part, Jon and the band lost me after that.

Sure, they'd tease me every once in a while with an awesome tune like ALWAYS, or IT'S MY LIFE or WE WEREN'T BORN... but unfortunately, the other nine tracks per album were usually quite bad in my opinion, and certainly nothing like the Bon Jovi I grew-up listening to.

Fall 1986 - Fall 1987 was one of the greatest 12 month periods of my entire life, and SLIPPERY played a HUGE role in that... and I will be forever gratefull. But now???? I don't think Jon cares about his 1986 fans any longer... save for those making huge donations to the DNC.

so according to the little thing I have Jon worked at The Power Station Studio for 3 years (80-83). His second cousin Tony Bongiovi was a producer there. Jon and his family asked Tony for help and Jon was hired as an Artist Under Development.

just pulled out my Power Station Years cd and John has writing credits on all the songs that are on the cd

two of the better songs off the disc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jseQXsg5lN0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvKqtGZtxnM

Wow mate, that's a lot to digest.

Just to address what of it I can:

See, to me, Jon Bon Jovi knowing someone at Mercury is good luck... and maybe enough good luck to give them the boost they needed to get started. And that's what I mean by there being an element of luck in bands "making it."

Just out of curiosity, have I ever said Sambora is a better guitarist than Eddie Van Halen? Or that Van Halen ever ripped anyone off? Or than Van Halen's best song is not as good as Bon Jovi's worst?

Thanks for posting publicly that I'm right and you're wrong - I assumed it was common knowledge? But despite me saying a lot of awesome things, I am not sure where you got the idea I said any of those things. For the record:

Edward Van Halen is a very good guitarist. Technically better than Richie Sambora and a lot of guitarists. But he is a terrible song writer and I would prefer to listen to most other guitarists, including Richie Sambora. Even though... and I'll bold it for you... Edward Van Halen is a better guitarist than Richie Sambora.

Seriously, the Van Halen ripping people off - where'd you even get that from? Nice fiction, mate. If there was another band that bad, why the hell would anyone want to rip them off?! ;) Nah, Van Halen are their own band with their own sound and style. It's just that they write bad songs.

And Van Halen have about 10 songs in their entire discography that are not only better than Bon Jovi's worst songs, but probably as good as a lot of their best. Van Halen do have a few good songs. Only problem is that there's a great song in approximately every 10 songs they record.

Anyway, I'm glad you realise that Van Halen suck, and that I was the one to help you see that. Always glad to assist. :)

And I agree that 'Edge of a broken heart' is definitely in the best 10 Bon Jovi songs. Killer tune.

Creep.

No Van Halen did start writing a lot of crap, especially on Diver Down, but I don't consider Bon Jovi especially great songwriters, lets take for example Slippery When Wet, now was it so great cause it was great, or was it great cause they brainwashed us all by playing it every 5 minutes? Keep The Faith was just standard by the book pop rock, I don't really consider any of it special, now listen to In And Out Of Love, Tokyo Road, Only Lonely, Hardest Part Is The Night, these are all in and of themselves actually good songs, and they were not shoved down our throats, Van Halen I destroys anything BJ ever did, and Van Halen II pretty great, not even the same type of music, but theres not 1 BJ album that was from start to finish great songs, so I guess that is why albums from start to finish full of great songs are so few and far between, like Blue Tears for instance, or So Far From Real, from track 1 to the end, killer songs, I also put High & Dry and Pyromania in this category, just my opinion.