R.I.P. Jon Lord

Guest ajab

Word is emerging that Jon Lord has died.

Nothing confirmed yet, but would assume it was a result of his cancer - I thought it was very early stages & being successfully treated, but it seems not.

Now sadly confirmed - from his site:

It is with deep sadness we announce the passing of Jon Lord, who suffered a fatal pulmonary embolism today, Monday 16th July at the

London Clinic, after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. Jon was surrounded by his loving family.

Jon Lord, the legendary keyboard player with Deep Purple co-wrote many of the bands legendary songs including Smoke On The Water and played with many bands and musicians throughout his career.

Best known for his Orchestral work Concerto for Group & Orchestra first performed at Royal Albert Hall with Deep Purple and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in 1969 and conducted by the renowned Malcolm Arnold, a feat repeated in 1999 when it was again performed at the Royal Albert Hall by the London Symphony Orchestra and Deep Purple.

Jon’s solo work was universally acclaimed when he eventually retired from Deep Purple in 2002.

Jon passes from Darkness to Light.

Uhh .., another one ... ! :( R.I.P., Jon !

Awwww man, that sucks. R.I.P.

Spinning DEEPEST PURPLE: THE BEST OF DEEP PURPLE right now in tribute...

Jon Lord.... R.I.P.

Wow... the co-writter of one of the top 3 most icon rock/metal songs of all time. (IMO).... "Smoke On The Water" is no longer with us. That song is the first song I ever learned to play in it's entirety on guitar. It is hard to imagine how many musicians that song has influenced.

The greatest keyboard/organist in rock music history. He changed music forever and along with Blackmore created the blueprint for symphonic based rock and metal. The guy was a genius and will be missed greatly. Being a big fan of both Purple and old Whitesnake John has been a big part of my personal soundtrack. RIP.

• 1 month later...