House Of Lords

Glen

"Big Money" is the album title? How long did it take them to come up with that?! If this shows any signs of sounding like "Cartesian Dreams" then I will pass, as that album sits on the shelf barely played these days. If it's like "World Upside Down" or (to a lesser extent) "Come to My Kingdom" then I'll be very excited....

All 3 cd's with the new line up are great, and these samples sound really good. Can't Wait!

based on the EPK, i wasn't entirely sold on the first two tracks, but good thing is like Jimi Bell stated that there'll be enough diversity in this one, though like a two-edge blade, it can drive the old fans away or even embrace lots of newer one.

The ballad is completely stunning, could be the best track of the album, but definitely interested to give this one a shot once it came out. James Christian's voice is still top notch and i always love Jimi's guitar playing, don't forget to check out Joined Forces as well, it's just spectacular IMO.

Brilliant news, as news of a new HOL album always is. As noted above, the ballad sounds amazing. I have no doubt, though, that the album will be excellent. With only the one dud in their discography so far, it's a sure bet with these guys. :)

Sounds like a lot of potential in that promo. I liked most of what I just heard. Sounds like a good continuation after "Cartesian Dreams" which I still hold as their best release after "Demons Down".

Looking forward to it, but I am hoping it will be better than 'Cartesian', which was only average (when compared to the previous 2 especially) for me.

Looking forward to it, but I am hoping it will be better than 'Cartesian', which was only average (when compared to the previous 2 especially) for me.

This. "Cartesian Dreams" was ok, but it sucks compared to the previous two, IMO. Those get regular spins around here.

This. "Cartesian Dreams" was ok, but it sucks compared to the previous two, IMO. Those get regular spins around here.

I loved all 3 cds.

• 1 month later...

"Big Money" is the album title? How long did it take them to come up with that?! If this shows any signs of sounding like "Cartesian Dreams" then I will pass, as that album sits on the shelf barely played these days. If it's like "World Upside Down" or (to a lesser extent) "Come to My Kingdom" then I'll be very excited....

It actually sounds quite a bit like World Upside Down; at least, based on those samples. I am extremely excited about getting a hold of this new record. I'll agree with you, though. If it's like Cartesian Dreams, I'm gonna be unhappy. :-/

It actually sounds quite a bit like World Upside Down; at least, based on those samples. I am extremely excited about getting a hold of this new record. I'll agree with you, though. If it's like Cartesian Dreams, I'm gonna be unhappy. :-/

I've heard this one right-through and it is back to the bombastic sound of "World Upside Down", but it's frankly nowhere close to being as good as that album. And I thought that album was a little patchy anyway. The new one is very peaky and has some pretty horrible closing tracks (it tails-off badly). Nice sound/style, 2-3 very strong songs - though nothing anywhere close to "Million Miles" or "Ghost of Time" from the "World Upside Down" album - and lots of filler make it about a 6/10.

• 2 weeks later...

Any stand out songs on this one? (No ballads please.)

Well "Someday When" is the best song IMO (you can find it on Youtube), with "Hologram" and "First to Cry" not far behind. Truthfully none of these will blow you away, although the overall sound/style is a great return to form IMO - big production/keys and very powerful. Way way way too many fillers....

Well "Someday When" is the best song IMO (you can find it on Youtube), with "Hologram" and "First to Cry" not far behind. Truthfully none of these will blow you away, although the overall sound/style is a great return to form IMO - big production/keys and very powerful. Way way way too many fillers....

Cheers Tim, I'll give those a blast. Might end up downloading one or two tracks from iTunes.

Cheers Tim, I'll give those a blast. Might end up downloading one or two tracks from iTunes.

I agree, those are my 3 favs. also. as well as Big Money and Blood!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After my first spin I think I got a pretty good feel for this. So here are my thoughts:

I'm starting to wonder why I'm being so critical of production jobs since my return in the last day or two, but I did not like this production job at all. The mix sounded a little off at times and the drums for the most part are pretty piss-weak. Overall it just doesn't sound as sharp to me as the last few HOL discs. I'm getting weary of this trend at the moment where members of the band produce their own CD. Unless you're a Tommy Newton or Dennis Ward, the results are coming across very mixed to me. I think there should be a clear separation between band member and producer, bar a co-production role. Anyway, to the songs.

Not a good start when an album begins with a very average song about money. To this date, I'm still pretty sure that Tesla are the only band to make a good song concerning money... and I'll give Bulletboys a shout out too. Otherwise, any and all songs about money are always shit... as is this one. 'One man down' starts slow, but actually ends up a pretty good song. Thankfully the day is saved early on with arguably the album's best two songs in 'First to cry' and 'Someday when' - both are excellent. And then the slump that kills the album a bit for me. 'Searchin' I HATE. I honestly think that is the worst drum track I have ever heard in a rock song. It made me so edgy and frustrated, and even though I can't play the drums (though neither could the guy in the band on this song) I just wanted to put down my best attempt at a drum track instead of that shit... just so I could listen to the song. Man I hate that one.

Anyway, 'Livin' in a Dream World' and 'The Next Time I Hold You' were both dead in the water too. Not awful, just boring and should have been left out. Thankfully, just when it looks like the album may be a write-off, they finish of very strong with all 5 of the last songs being quite good. 'Blood' was the weakest of the last 5, but it's a good close to the album and brings it back to a place where it'll probably rate pretty well for me. Will see in time how it ranks against the last few albums too.

'Livin In A Dream World' is a decent filler, i agree, but 'The Next Time I Hold You' is awesome man, isn't it the typical ballad that House of Lords is big for ? i think one of the best they ever made.

'Blood' is a strong track for me, but maybe because it's too metal on this case for you ? i spotted an 'Enter Sandman' feel to it, the verse isn't as strong as the chorus, but all in all, a pretty great tune.