I love hard rock versions of modern pop songs

Geoff

I was discussing this with a few of my good-time buddies from the forum recently, and I was all for it. Don't ask my why or how, because most the songs on the radio are so dreadful... but when one of these hard rock bands - modern or HH-style - cover one of these songs, I generally love it.

Am I a sick man?

I just saw that Underride covered 'Paparazzi' from Lady Gaga and although I can't for the life of me remember what that song sounds like, I'm now actually looking forward to hearing it. :lol: Halestorm's cover of a Lady Gaga song from this year was f*cking brilliant too.

So who's songs in particular would I really love to hear covered? I'm going to put it out there that I would love to hear some hard rock cover versions of that wonderfully breasted Katy Perry bird. There are some huge hooks (like that 'Firework' song) just waiting to be metalized. Even that 'Teenage Dream' song would sound awesome, I reckon. Oh, and that 'My hands' song by that gay Pitbull guy.

Anyway, I said it. I generally hate cover songs, especially of older crabby songs... but I love covers of certain recent/current songs. :)

I'm a lover of cover songs for the most part, and even a fan of tribute/covers albums. Covers of rock artists are great, but I also really like it when they go outside the usual box and go for something that normally wouldnt be on a rock album.

The above mentioned Bad Romance by Halestorm is a great example of how to show that the songs are not necessarily what you dont like about them, but the execution. In this case, Bad Romance is actually one of the few Lady Gaga songs I actually like (sue me), but there are actually cases of songs I hate being covered and I absolutely love the cover version.

The one that springs to mind is Jaded Hearts cover of Paid my dues. I fucking hate the original with a passion, but the cover version is actually one of my fave Jaded Heart songs.

Jaded Heart has done it before as well, with their cover of Easy Lover (which once again, I actually like the original) & Larger than life (I couldnt care less for the original), so its no surprise that they can take a pop song and turn it into a full blown rocker.

Steel Panther did a great version of I want it that way, and theres been quite a few rock covers of the Britney Spears "classic", ..One more time.

As for songs I'd like covered. To be honest, I'd rather not consider it as I like the surprise when a band does it.

some interesting pop covers that i can recall is :

1st Avenue - I Still Believe In You (Vince Gill)

At Vance - The Winner Takes It All (ABBA)

Axel Rudi Pell - Forever Young (Alphaville)

Eric Martin - There You'll Be (Faith Hill)

Hungryheart - Man In The Mirror (Michael Jackson)

Motley Crue - Helter Skelter (Beatles)

Perfect World (Kelly Hansen) - Just Like A Pill (Pink)

Steel Panther - I Want It That Way (Backstreet Boys)

Talisman - Frozen (Madonna)

Underride - Paparazzi (Lady GaGa)

i guess many trance/electronic/rave songs can be converted to metal because the melodic and rhythm :D

Couple of others I like from various genres of rock would be:

Seventh Avenue - Sailing (Rod Stewart)

Gamma Ray - Its a sin (Pet Shop Boys)

Nonpoint - In the air tonight (Phil Collins)

Guild Of Ages - Hungry like the wolf (Duran Duran)

Alien Ant Farm - Smooth criminal (Michael Jackson)

Yngwie Malsteen - Gimme, gimme, gimme (ABBA)

Yngwie Malsteen - Beat it (Michael Jackson) .. music is great but dont like Ripper Owens vocals on this

Poison - Sexy back (Justin Timberlake)

Paul Gilbert - 2 become 1 (Spice Girls)

Biss - Rock me Amadeus (Falco)

I dont really include covers by bands such as The Beatles, Elvis, The Rolling Stones and Chuck Berry etc, as they are all rock or rock n roll artists rather than pop artists.

So who's songs in particular would I really love to hear covered? I'm going to put it out there that I would love to hear some hard rock cover versions of that wonderfully breasted Katy Perry bird. There are some huge hooks (like that 'Firework' song) just waiting to be metalized. Even that 'Teenage Dream' song would sound awesome, I reckon. Oh, and that 'My hands' song by that gay Pitbull guy.

Actually The Baseballs did a rock-a-billy version of "Hot n' Cold", pretty cool if you're into that kind of stuff.

I remember T-Bone used to post hours of "cover" stuff, I bet he knows quite a few...

I liked that Cee Lo Green "Fuck You" video that got posted up a bit back. Can't recall the band, but I remember Geoff disliked the other cover songs they did. Some band that got a new singer I remember that. Might have been Crash Diet...

BUt as CH and others said I enjoy a good cover. I have noticed that a good number of those Blink, Green day, Reel Big Fish styled bands do a shit load of cover songs.

On the Revolver Golden God Awards the other night, I liked Volbeat's cover of I Only Want to Be With You.

I agree with Dan about JH's Larger Than Life. If I'm being honest, I remember the BSB hatred I had back in the day, but when I heard that song, I had a difficult time not liking it. When Jaded Heart made it even better, that was all the provocation I needed to get into the song.

Too many covers over the years to recall, but I've been led to many of them from this site/the folks on here. :drink:

I liked that Cee Lo Green "Fuck You" video that got posted up a bit back. Can't recall the band, but I remember Geoff disliked the other cover songs they did. Some band that got a new singer I remember that. Might have been Crash Diet...

Vains of Jenna. Disgracefully bad album.

I love covers of pop etc. especially when some cool guitars are added and a decent singer lets rip. I've been collecting them for years and sneakily put them on when non rock/metal heads are around. It's a way of getting to listen to decent music when normally you couldn't ;)

Some of my favourite covers are:

Bad Romance - Halestorm

Big Cock - She's A Lady

Black Betty - Electric Boys

Crazy - Iron Saviour

Dangerzone - Jettblack

Don´t Pay The Ferryman - Twinball

Drift Away - Anatomic

Eye Of The Tiger - At Vance

Girls Just Want to Have Fun - Trick or Treat

Help - Johnny Lima

Hungry Like The Wolf - Guild Of Ages

I Turn To You - WigWam

I'll Make You Happy - Rick Springfield

I'm So Excited - SunNSteel

Knowing Me, Knowing You - Tad Morose

Logical Song - At Vance

Love Hurts - Darren Smith Band

Mrs. Robinson - Kik Tracee

Music - Metalium

My Number - Lillian Axe

Playing To Win - Dungeon

Rock The Casbah - Trust Co

S.O.S - At Vance

Shout - At Vance

Suddenly - From The Inside

Take On Me - Vision Divine

The Chain - Seven Witches

The Neverending Story - Dragonland

The Wind Beneath My Wings - Sonata Arctica

The Winner Takes It All - At Vance

Guest Philosoraptor

I wouldn't mind hearing someone do a tougher version of "Here We Go Again" by Demi Lovato. That song's amazingly catchy, and dammit if I don't like it.

• 4 weeks later...

This one's been around for a few years now but it's still my favorite "pop" cover: thrash band Children of Bodom takes on Britney Spears' "Oops! I Did It Again!" :rofl2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K84j7CJIUKU

I'm not even a C.O.B. fan particularly, but this freakin' kills me every time :)

• 5 weeks later...

Eye Of The Tiger - At Vance

Girls Just Want to Have Fun - Trick or Treat

I Turn To You - WigWam

Logical Song - At Vance

Music - Metalium

I really need to hear these! Might be some downloading tonight...

• 5 months later...

Mike Walters has a pretty damn good remake of the Rebecca Black song "Friday" if you can believe it. Done very well. Pure 80's party anthem style. Search for it on youtube. You can even download it from the link.

• 1 month later...

A couple of ones came to my mind:

Chasing The Angels (Iron Eagles Movie Soundtrack) - Brother Firetribe

Gimme Gimme Gimme (ABBA) - Synergy

Gimme Gimme Gimme (ABBA) - Yngwie Malmsteen

In The Air Tonight (Phil Collins) - Axel Rudi Pell

It's A Sin (Pet Shop Boys) - Gamma Ray

It's A Sin (Pet Shop Boys) - Gamma Ray

Prefer the Graveworm version of this. Pet Shop Boys with Death Metal vocals, what's not to like? :D

:banger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FjyE0dI7mM