New Slash album

Captain Howdy

Just been reading up on the new Slash solo album thats just round the corner, and am so far unimpressed with two things.

Firstly, its all collaborations, which isnt a bad thing. But most of the collaborations are with artists that may have very little appeal to fans of Slash & GNR etc.

Secondly, the thing that annoys me even more is the insistance on having multiple bonus tracks depending on country or version.

The main track listing is as follows:

1. "Ghost" (feat. Ian Astbury & Izzy Stradlin)

2. "Crucify the Dead" (feat. Ozzy Osbourne)

3. "Beautiful Dangerous" (feat. Fergie)

4. "Back from Cali" (feat. Myles Kennedy)

5. "Promise" (feat. Chris Cornell)

6. "By the Sword" (feat. Andrew Stockdale)

7. "Gotten" (feat. Adam Levine)

8. "Doctor Alibi" (feat. Lemmy)

9. "Watch This" (feat. Dave Grohl & Duff McKagan)

10. "I Hold On" (feat. Kid Rock)

11. "Nothing to Say" (feat. M. Shadows)

12. "Starlight" (feat. Myles Kennedy)

13. "Saint is a Sinner Too" (feat. Rocco DeLuca)

14. "We're All Gonna Die" (feat. Iggy Pop)

And the bonus tracks go something like this:

Japanese version

15. "Sahara" (feat. Koshi Inaba) (Japanese vocals)

Australian iTunes version

15. "Chains and Shackles" (feat. Nick Oliveri)

16. "Paradise City" (feat. Fergie and Cypress Hill) (iTunes pre-order only)

iTunes Edition

15. "Mother Maria" (feat. Beth Hart)

16. "Sahara (English version)" (feat. Koshi Inaba) (Pre-order only)

Classic Rock Slashpack Edition

15. "Baby Can't Drive" (feat. Alice Cooper, Nicole Scherzinger, Steven Adler & Flea)

Brazilian version

15. "Paradise City" (feat. Fergie and Cypress Hill)

16. "Baby Can't Drive" (feat. Alice Cooper, Nicole Scherzinger, Steven Adler & Flea)

My guess is some of the bonus tracks may appear over here as b-sides if a single gets released. Yeah it's an annoying trend having different tracks scattered across the globe, I ended up buying about 3 versions of Aerosmith's Rockin the Joint because of it.

The record companies moan about illegal downloading but this just compounds the problem.

The whole thing with illegal downloading is exactly my thoughts.

For instance, while I will buy one of the UK versions when it comes out, I have downloaded the album today, with all the bonus tracks, so I wont be rushing out to buy it just yet.

My understaning is that Sahara was/will be released as a single in Japan, and at least 2 of the other tracks will appear on it, but on Amazon they are listing it at £31 for a CD single.

This is easily my fave track and its probably the most 'Slash' sounding song on the album, as it has a GNR/Velvet Revolver vibe with the vocal style.

This is the English version, but there is a Jap version as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcRklWHoK_Y

This is easily my fave track and its probably the most 'Slash' sounding song on the album, as it has a GNR/Velvet Revolver vibe with the vocal style.

This is the English version, but there is a Jap version as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcRklWHoK_Y

Cool track. Kinda made me think of Aerosmith for some reason. Will definitely be picking this album up.

Heard most of this one and I guess it's okay. Funnily enough the Fergie songs are pretty cool. The Cyprus Hill version of 'Paradise City' is an abomination and the Kid Rock song is terrible. Overall, though, it's a decent enough disc and I look forward to picking it up in bargain basement bins for about $1 in a year. :)

I like the Myles Kennedy tunes the best so far but he's one of my fav singers so that makes sense. It's also cool that he's singing on the tour and doing all the songs. I would of just rather he had one vocalist for the entire disc but I guess I shouldn't be suprised as he's always played with a wide range of artists over the years like Michael Jackson and Lenny Kravitz.

Heard most of this one and I guess it's okay. Funnily enough the Fergie songs are pretty cool. The Cyprus Hill version of 'Paradise City' is an abomination and the Kid Rock song is terrible. Overall, though, it's a decent enough disc and I look forward to picking it up in bargain basement bins for about $1 in a year. :)

I'm honestly not that surprised with Fergie as she has already proved her rock chops with a cover of Barracuda on the Shrek 3 soundtrack.

The Kid Rock track is cool as its very similar to the stuff on Rock N Roll Jesus, which is an amazing album.

The M Shadows track is cool too, but thats because, like the Kid Rock song, it sounds like a track off their last album as well.

Its very hit or miss though as the collaborators are quite spread out along the music landscape, and wont necessarily appeal to everyone from track to track.

I mean, when you consider how far apart artists like Avenged Sevenfold, Alice Cooper and Cyprus Hill are, its gonna be a very open minded person who is as into one of their tracks as they are into another.

I think my other problem is it sounds, for the most part, that Slash has adapted his style to the collaborators, rather than the other way round.

While I am not of the opinion that Slash is the greatest guitarist in the world, I do think he has his own sound, and I can rarely hear it on here.

Slash was the guest on Lovelines with Dr.Drew tonight, they played a couple of songs off of this new cd, Back From Cali sounded hard as fuck, I bet this is a good one!

I think my other problem is it sounds, for the most part, that Slash has adapted his style to the collaborators, rather than the other way round.

Very good point and that is the impression I also got just listening to the samples.

Very good point and that is the impression I also got just listening to the samples.

Yep, I'd 100% agree with that too.

Its one of the reasons I have always felt he was somewhat overrated as a guitarist.

I actually had an argument with someone once over GNR, when they were saying that Slash was the most important factor to the sound of GNR, and the band would be the same if they had replaced Axl.

I pointed out that Axl not only was the main song writer and that his vocals were more of a defining part of the GNR sound than Slash, but I also pointed out to him that a lot of stuff he was crediting to Slash, was actually Izzy.

Slash is a good guitarist, no doubt, but apart from the odd song here or there, his stuff with Snakepit, Velvet Revolver and now his solo album, has generally been pretty weak.

I've tended to find that Duff's music has been better, so its no surprise to me that Velvet Revolver was probably the best Slash stuff outside GNR.

I also pointed out that pretty much any decent guitarist could replace Slash in GNR, and despite the fact Chinese Democracy wasnt everyones cup of tea, you would have been hard pressed to say whether Slash was on it or not.

• 3 months later...

Bringing up an old topic, but seeing as I just bought this a few days ago, it's new to me.

I remember being kind of excited about Slash and MK working together. (I'm a huge MK fan. He doesn't have that huge an output, but I have everything he's done, aside from the instrumental/jazz fusion stuff before the Mayfield Four.) And then I remembered seeing Slash on the Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson and not being all that impressed. So, I guess this kind of faded from my mind. I was walking around Target the other day, saw it out, on sale, so I picked it up.

I think it's a pretty solid album, some really good tracks, a dud or two, but the one track with Myles, "Starlight", is absolutely a killer to me. I've probably listened to it 10-15 times the past 2 days (in addition to the rest of the album 1-2 times). Kennedy is such a vocal acrobat and this song is a total home run for me.

(I wish I could have seen he and Slash on tour. I can't wait until AB III gets here either.)

Bringing up an old topic, but seeing as I just bought this a few days ago, it's new to me.

I remember being kind of excited about Slash and MK working together. (I'm a huge MK fan. He doesn't have that huge an output, but I have everything he's done, aside from the instrumental/jazz fusion stuff before the Mayfield Four.) And then I remembered seeing Slash on the Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson and not being all that impressed. So, I guess this kind of faded from my mind. I was walking around Target the other day, saw it out, on sale, so I picked it up.

I think it's a pretty solid album, some really good tracks, a dud or two, but the one track with Myles, "Starlight", is absolutely a killer to me. I've probably listened to it 10-15 times the past 2 days (in addition to the rest of the album 1-2 times). Kennedy is such a vocal acrobat and this song is a total home run for me.

(I wish I could have seen he and Slash on tour. I can't wait until AB III gets here either.)

Yup new Alter Bridge should be out in the fall but I'm not sure when Myles solo disc he's been working on is gonna see the light of day. I would love Slash to do a full album with just Myles but they did record a show recently for a live release with only Myles I think.

^Really? That'd be cool if that DVD releases. I've seen clips of Slash and Myles on youtube. (I wish I'd have seen them live. I don't remember if/how close they came to the area, but that would have been awesome!)

Yeah, I don't know about Myles' solo stuff. Love it too. (I, too, would be interested in a full album of Slash/MK material. Though, I'd take a full album of just about anything for which Miles did lead vox.)

^Really? That'd be cool if that DVD releases. I've seen clips of Slash and Myles on youtube. (I wish I'd have seen them live. I don't remember if/how close they came to the area, but that would have been awesome!)

Yeah, I don't know about Myles' solo stuff. Love it too. (I, too, would be interested in a full album of Slash/MK material. Though, I'd take a full album of just about anything for which Miles did lead vox.)

Saw an update on the new AB disc on blabbermouth today where Myles says it's a much darker cd lyrically so that should cool. Him and Tremonti both are very good songwriters.