2010 FIFA WORLD CUP

Dave

Spain played really well and I can see them beating the Dutch to be honest. Should be a good final and as Glen says, nice to see someone different win it for a change..

I have money on Spain to win and my outside bet was the Dutch to reach the final, so new cd's for me :bananamac:

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that match took my completely by surprise. Germany were totally and completely dominated in every way. Spain must have had control of the ball for 80% of the match or something close to it. :lol: As I said above, I picked Germany and could never have expected they'd be made to look so inferior.

I'm going to stick with my Holland pick and thus kindly allow Mike to win this tipping comp, as I honestly can't see Holland beating Spain if they can control the match like that. But I'd rather pick the team I want to win so it's no split support when I watch it. :)

Congrats on the win, Mike. ;)

Ahh.... thanks for the sentiment, but there's the third place game Saturday that will also factor into everything as well. Anyone in the top 5 right now still has a shot at winning it all... ;)

Yeah, that match took my completely by surprise. Germany were totally and completely dominated in every way. Spain must have had control of the ball for 80% of the match or something close to it. :lol: As I said above, I picked Germany and could never have expected they'd be made to look so inferior.

I'm going to stick with my Holland pick and thus kindly allow Mike to win this tipping comp, as I honestly can't see Holland beating Spain if they can control the match like that. But I'd rather pick the team I want to win so it's no split support when I watch it. :)

Congrats on the win, Mike. ;)

Ahh.... thanks for the sentiment, but there's the third place game Saturday that will also factor into everything as well. Anyone in the top 5 right now still has a shot at winning it all... ;)

Yeah, I thought about that, but without giving it all away I'm pretty sure we'll both be picking the same team in the play off for 3rd. Only chance I'd have is maybe equalling total scores with you at the end if I somehow pick the right score and you don't. :)

To be honest, I didn't realise until today how many points you got for a win. :lol:

Well,I'm plumping for Holland to beat Spain,I'm still disappointed the Germans lost,as when they were on form they played with consumate ease.....But the "Shit happens" !!!!!!!

Well,I'm plumping for Holland to beat Spain,I'm still disappointed the Germans lost,as when they were on form they played with consumate ease.....But the "Shit happens" !!!!!!!

They were 'on form' - its just that Spain completely outplayed them in every department and didnt let them have the ball.

They also effectively killed virtually every counter attack.

You have to remember that Germany's main wins were against a 10 man Aussie side, A very poor and badly organised shadow of an England side and the Argies (managed by a 'fan in a suit').

They actually lost to Serbia and struggled against Ghana.

That octopuss is uncanny, they should have just run the matches past it from the start and we would have saved a shit load of time :lol:

Well I've been backing Spain since England did nothing.... I was fuming with Pedro not laying the ball off to Torres for what had the potential to be a certain 2nd goal, anyway water under the bridge - one last push and I'll have a happy son and in-laws....I may just go hurrah myself if it goes their way.

If not ...well then at least Robbie Valentine will be happy !

They were 'on form' - its just that Spain completely outplayed them in every department and didnt let them have the ball.

You have to remember that Germany's main wins were against a 10 man Aussie side, A very poor and badly organised shadow of an England side and the Argies (managed by a 'fan in a suit').

Valid points Glen,but when given the opportunity,by christ they exploited it ! :drink:

Valid points Glen,but when given the opportunity,by christ they exploited it ! :drink:

Yeah ive engoyed watching the Germans and will be hoping they slaughter Uruguay on Saturday so that it is a Europe 1, 2, 3.

Yeah, we sucked big time ! The German players were running around like scared mice being attacked by a snake. :( But congrats to Spain ! They played well ... finally ....

I have always said Spain would win, so my money is still on them. But I'm still keeping fingers crossed for Holland.

If would have been any other team than Holland the 2nd goal would have been cancelled. FOR SURE. As the guy affected the goalkeeper & the whole "phase". That was not cheating... :christmas: But it was poor Uruguay against the Dutch... so who cares?

Are you from Uruguay? ;)

Yeah, we sucked big time ! The German players were running around like scared mice being attacked by a snake. :( But congrats to Spain ! They played well ... finally ....

I have always said Spain would win, so my money is still on them. But I'm still keeping fingers crossed for Holland.

Personally I wouldn't agree with that, Germany looked good at times in the first half, but the way Spain played for most of the second half would have made any team look second rate. They just have far more class than anyone else. In four years' time I can see Germany being the team to beat; the Spanish team will either be old or have lots of new players, the same goes for the Dutch and I can't see any huge improvements happening to English football in that time... :(

I am very pleased though - I backed 2 teams to win the World Cup before the start of the tournament and both are in the final. Spain would pay out more, but I'll be happy whoever wins, as long as it's a good game.

If would have been any other team than Holland the 2nd goal would have been cancelled. FOR SURE. As the guy affected the goalkeeper & the whole "phase". That was not cheating... :christmas: But it was poor Uruguay against the Dutch... so who cares?

Are you from Uruguay? ;)

No, I'm from Greece :christmas: But the truth cannot be change. I'm hearing about cheaters from Uruguah (huh?) again & again & again, cheating is when you don't pay for what you've done, Suarez paid for what he did so I can't see any cheating except 2nd Dutch goal which was offside... :christmas:

Personally I wouldn't agree with that, Germany looked good at times in the first half, but the way Spain played for most of the second half would have made any team look second rate.

Yeah, I have to agree with James. I personally didn't think Germany did anything particularly wrong that they have to be ashamed of, they were just never allowed into the match by Spain. All along I have not understood the fascination with Spain, and it was only in seeing that match that I finally did see what you guys were talking about. To dominate that German team that has dominated so much (when it counted) can only be a credit to Spain.

Are you from Uruguay? ;)

No, I'm from Greece :christmas: But the truth cannot be change. I'm hearing about cheaters from Uruguah (huh?) again & again & again, cheating is when you don't pay for what you've done, Suarez paid for what he did so I can't see any cheating except 2nd Dutch goal which was offside... :christmas:

Nobody would have had any issue with Suarez if he had just held his hands up and said 'hey I just instinctively hand balled it......send me off'.

No, instead he just skulked off across the box with his head down avoiding the refs gaze and when questioned made out as if he had done nothing.

That my friend is cheating. And that is what galled everyone.

What made matters worse was him celebrating on the touch line when the Ghana player missed.

If I was FIFA I would have banned him for 10 international matches - I can guarantee that then you would not see another player 'instinctively' handle the ball on the goal line.

No the truth is simple. You have complex because Uruguay did great matches & went further than anyone expected. Or because you preferred Ghana (for an inexplicable reason)...

I didn't see any "booooo here's the cheater" comment when "Kuel" (or how the fuck the correct spelling is) did the same thing on the Australia - Ghana match. Then 5-6 Aussie "cheaters" were showing that the ball has knocked on to the post instead of Kuel's hand!! So the thing about Suarez is just hypocritical. All the others are stories for (small) kids.

A-G

And what exactly did you expect from Suarez?? To see cries from his eyes because the other team has lost the penalty in the last minute of the match? Duh!!!!! :yikes: :yikes:

Thank God you're not...

No the truth is simple. You have complex because Uruguay did great matches & went further than anyone expected. Or because you preferred Ghana (for an inexplicable reason)...

I didn't see any "booooo here's the cheater" comment when "Kuel" (or how the fuck the correct spelling is) did the same thing on the Australia - Ghana match. Then 5-6 Aussie "cheaters" were showing that the ball has knocked on to the post instead of Kuel's hand!! So the thing about Suarez is just hypocritical. All the others are stories for (small) kids.

A-G

And what exactly did you expect from Suarez?? To see cries from his eyes because the other team has lost the penalty in the last minute of the match? Duh!!!!! :yikes: :yikes:

Thank God you're not...

Nah mate you get me all wrong. No complex against any team. I was lovin Uruguay up until that point.

Didnt see the other incident you refer to but yeah if its cheating then im against it.

The English might have been shite but at least we didnt cheat.

Cheated, yeah....but not cheats.

Ok, we/Germany achieved the 3rd place after a good game against Uruguay, who played well and were even a little unlucky in the end. If we had played like this against Spain - considering it wasn't the "first team" playing against the Urus - we might have stood a better chance.

May the better one wín in the finals between Holland and Spain !!

Aha! Now I got you! English team has been cheated from the Uruguanian referee in the match against Germany that's why all the behavior lol!! :christmas: That's not a good excuse lol!

oh lol i forgot about that......no couldnt give a rats arse about that either. it happened, move on.

my feelings on uruguay were simply towards Suarez, not against any officiating in the World Cup

That said, I must admit that the officiating has been appalling - some of the worst I have seen in my life.

Thank God they gave Webb the final....might actually get a game without controversy.

Aha! Now I got you! English team has been cheated from the Uruguanian referee in the match against Germany that's why all the behavior lol!! :christmas: That's not a good excuse lol!

oh lol i forgot about that......no couldnt give a rats arse about that either. it happened, move on.

my feelings on uruguay were simply towards Suarez, not against any officiating in the World Cup

That said, I must admit that the officiating has been appalling - some of the worst I have seen in my life.

Thank God they gave Webb the final....might actually get a game without controversy.

where's the 2 red cards against the Dutch team in the half time? Guess what would have been if the team against Spain was Uruguay...

This is a pretty wild argument - the "goal" not being allowed against England was one of the worst decisions I have ever seen (more by the linesmen than the referee imo) but hating Uruguay as a result? Not a chance. I enjoyed watching them, but I am 100% with Glen, Suarez really upset me - put simply, his cheating changed the result of the game.

BTW, I'm not at all bitter about what happened to England - we were nowhere near being the best team at the World Cup. In my view, that team won the tournament, and I am pleased about it. They are light years ahead of England.

This is a pretty wild argument - the "goal" not being allowed against England was one of the worst decisions I have ever seen (more by the linesmen than the referee imo) but hating Uruguay as a result? Not a chance. I enjoyed watching them, but I am 100% with Glen, Suarez really upset me - put simply, his cheating changed the result of the game.

BTW, I'm not at all bitter about what happened to England - we were nowhere near being the best team at the World Cup. In my view, that team won the tournament, and I am pleased about it. They are light years ahead of England.

I was kidding on that one but my (other) argument is VERY STRONG I didn't see any comment on the Ghana - Australia match. Kisses! :beerbang:

Thank God it was an English referee & the super-dooper Dutch team ended with 10 players instead of 7...

I totally agree with you mate.

Therefore the Dutch can have no complaints. But somehow they were complaining at the final whistle lol!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion that was a very diffcult game to referee. The Dutch mindset from the off was to kick the Spanish and at times it was ugly.

No one wants to see players sent off in a world cup final and i can only imagine thats why Webb was lenient.

De Jong - straight red for a kung fu kick.

De Bommel.......well a disgrace.

Robben - by the law of the game he should be off too for putting the ball in the net after the whistle.

Anyways, the right team won.

Another world cup over....cheers

By the way my Dad texted me at half time and it simply said

'is that Grimsby in Orange'

lol.

[no offence to Grimsby]

Cheers