2010 FIFA WORLD CUP

Dave

Haha, only saw highlights of most the 2 matches, but even they bored me! :lol: I kept having to switch to the tennis or my 'The Bachelor' video during Japan vs. Paraguay as I tried to watch it live - man that was dull. I guess I'm glad to see Paraguay go through, as I tipped them. And Japan seemed to be diving even worse than Paraguay too. But I went for Portugal in the other match. Poor pick. :(

The diving seems to be getting worse as the tournament progresses (who'd have thought it possible?). No one can seem to stand up anymore. And that poor Portugese bastard who got red-carded at the end of the game due to that Spanish c*nt taking one of the most pathetic dives of the tournament? That was absolutely dreadful to see. I wish him a slow extremely painful death.

Geoff, this is an editorial that was in our paper today which pretty much sums up our attitude to soccer even though "some" from another nation thing we secretly really do enjoy the sport.....which is laughable !!!!!

World Cup soccer fans abandon reality for fantasy, says Neil Mitchell From: Herald Sun July 01, 2010

THIS happens every four years as the World Cup force-feeds the round ball on to the sports pages, but once again the soccer nuts of Australia have abandoned our reality for their fantasy.

Now they really are kidding themselves because they claim the AFL is beaten and soccer is about to become the national obsession.

It's nonsense, but relax.

This temporary fascination will soon end and soccer in Australia will resume its appropriate place alongside such riveting and massively popular spectator sports as lacrosse and croquet.

What these people don't understand is that the World Cup is not their showpiece, blazing a path for the game in this country.

It is instead solid proof of why soccer will not thrive here and confirmation it is culturally unacceptable to Australians.

This is nothing to do with the struggles of the Socceroos in South Africa. Australians will always cheer a national team even when it is playing midnight tiddlywinks.

This is all about the Australian character and culture as it exposes itself through sport.

The World Cup is evidence that soccer cares little for the values that underpin that culture and shows why it will never become the dominant ball game in this country.

Here's the proof, again highlighted at this tournament:

Diving. That awful habit many soccer players have of falling down as though shot when an opponent brushes past. As Jason Akermanis wrote in this newspaper yesterday, it's a blight on the code.

It's embarrassing, frustrating, and humiliating. It leads to horrible mistakes that can cost a game when a player is sent off. It's bad pantomime. It's cheating. It is unfair and un-Australian.

Imagine if Steven Baker had been a soccer player. After he copped that whack under the eye he wouldn't have been back on in five minutes, he would have been in intensive care for a week.

That naughty Robert Dipierdomenico played a large slice of a grand final with a punctured lung. A highly-priced striker with a punctured lung would need a year off and a new blonde.

Team loyalty. In soccer, it doesn't exist. Admittedly the Socceroos are less to blame here, but watch most elite goalies when the opposition scores.

They wave their arms, point fingers and snarl, blaming everybody down to the water boy rather than admit that perhaps they fumbled, stumbled, or just didn't see the ball coming.

Then watch an AFL or ARL player who commits a howler or a cricketer who drops a sitter. His teammates run in at once to reassure and encourage their mate, even if they think he's got the skills of a grade 6 nerd.

Bagging your mates is, and always has been, un-Australian.

Bad referees and whingers. Now it is true, we all like to blame the umpire, but only in soccer can there be such good reason. When Harry Kewell closed his eyes and failed to escape the ball he was accused of cheating. It was as silly as the ref who failed to notice the ball was in the back of the net.

In Australian sport we have heard of this marvellous invention called the video camera and found it can be quite handy when trying to avoid errors. We have referees and umpires who can run faster than Matt Preston and have better vision than a myopic mouse.

There's also a tradition in this country called sportsmanship. True, St Kilda Football Club doesn't entirely understand the concept but generally when beaten we pay tribute to the victor, even when we think he cheated and tricked his way to the top.

Pretty much sums it up in my opinion !!!!!!

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha. Good find, Dave. Yep, excellent article which pretty much sums it up for me too. I'm glad someone else brought up the team loyalty thing. To say internal disagreement within a team has never ever happened in another sport is false, but in any other sport it is an extreme rarity. In soccer, as the article says it happens every match, multiple times. The goalies rip into their team mates as soon as a shot even gets through the defence to them, but similarly, a lot of the strikers who miss a shot at goal have a go at the person who passed it to them because the pass wasn't good enough etc. In soccer it appears that it's only ever someone else's fault if you f*ck up.

Okay, I'm getting worked up here. Serenity now. I too have been swept into the spectacle that is the World Cup, but in seeing as much soccer as I have, it has only confirmed to me that it is a c*nt of a sport, and like the article says, once the World Cup is over you will not hear soccer mentioned again in Australia for another four years, and rightfully so.

And not because they beat,and showed us up for what we are,that is,vastly overpaid,molly-coddled "pretty-boys",except for Rooney,who is one ugly mutha-fucker,I'm supporting the Germans,who play to their strengths and the team ethic.

They're not the strongest individually,but the team "spirit" speaks volumes !!!!!

I'm supporting the Germans,who play to their strengths and the team ethic.

Great spirit !!! :headbanger:

;)

And not because they beat,and showed us up for what we are,that is,vastly overpaid,molly-coddled "pretty-boys",except for Rooney,who is one ugly mutha-fucker,I'm supporting the Germans,who play to their strengths and the team ethic.

They're not the strongest individually,but the team "spirit" speaks volumes !!!!!

On 2 occasions during the England v Germany game, I saw a German player writhing around on the floor 'injured', the England players (perhaps unsportingly) fail to kick the ball out of the play, then the player in question miraculously recover and get up on seeing that play had continued. I'm sure there are culprits in every team, but the fact that I saw it happen with Germany has turned me more against them. (Sorry Bernd, I do love Germany and have always had a great time when I’ve been there, but the football team is another matter!) It’s Holland or Spain for me now, which means that Brazil or Argentina will win it.

I can see why Geoff is so anti-football with all the diving and pathetic feigning of injury (when we can all see that there has been little or no contact) and I wish that FIFA would stamp it out, I’m sure most football fans worldwide would agree. The amount of money that some players earn is obscene and in very poor taste, but the game’s governing bodies will probably never do anything about it. However, despite these problems there is no sport that gets to me so much. I could watch any game, pub teams in the park to non-league to internationals, I just love the game itself. I enjoy cricket, gridiron, ice hockey, horse racing and tennis as spectator sports, but as pissed off I get with football none of them get close to “the beautiful game”.

On 2 occasions during the England v Germany game, I saw a German player writhing around on the floor 'injured', the England players (perhaps unsportingly) fail to kick the ball out of the play, then the player in question miraculously recover and get up on seeing that play had continued. I'm sure there are culprits in every team, but the fact that I saw it happen with Germany has turned me more against them. (Sorry Bernd, I do love Germany and have always had a great time when I’ve been there, but the football team is another matter!) It’s Holland or Spain for me now, which means that Brazil or Argentina will win it.

On 2 occasions .. ?? So many ?? Oh well ..... ! I really don't know which occasions you are referring to, but hey, we win some fans, we lose some fans, we can't have them all ! ;)

But I really don't think the German team is unfair or "unsporty". Not like the Italians, who "fall over" miraculously, esp. in the penalty area, and get a penalty for it. I do intensely dislike that kind of behaviour myself.

On 2 occasions .. ?? So many ?? Oh well ..... ! I really don't know which occasions you are referring to, but hey, we win some fans, we lose some fans, we can't have them all ! ;)

But I really don't think the German team is unfair or "unsporty". Not like the Italians, who "fall over" miraculously, esp. in the penalty area, and get a penalty for it. I do intensely dislike that kind of behaviour myself.

I know most teams do it, but obviously it winds me up more when it's against England! :rolleyes:

I think the ref should stop the game every time it happens and book the player.

You're right though, Germany play fairer than most (and I have a lot of respect for the current system of bringing in a lot of young, hungry players with 2 or 3 older heads) but the England - Germany football rivalry goes deeper than just this World Cup... :D

Yeah, some interesting little posts above. I had to laugh at the Australian news article. Only in Australia would there be such a collosal back slapping exercise.

This is un-australian.....that's un-australian. Jees, give me a break.

Fair enough if you dont like a sport (man i detest Rugby league, but hey ho), but why harp on about it so.

And why this continual 'everyone thinks we love soccer but we dont' ??

Who has ever said Australians love football (except for maybe Wotty....once)......except for a few idiots in your own country.

No-one outside of Australia gives a fuck about Aussie football or whether Australians like football.....so get over it.

Cheers

I know most teams do it, but obviously it winds me up more when it's against England! :rolleyes:

I think the ref should stop the game every time it happens and book the player.

You're right though, Germany play fairer than most (and I have a lot of respect for the current system of bringing in a lot of young, hungry players with 2 or 3 older heads) but the England - Germany football rivalry goes deeper than just this World Cup... :D

1. Netherlands

2. Germany

If anyone else wins it I will spit on them.

Yeah, some interesting little posts above. I had to laugh at the Australian news article. Only in Australia would there be such a collosal back slapping exercise.

This is un-australian.....that's un-australian. Jees, give me a break.

Fair enough if you dont like a sport (man i detest Rugby league, but hey ho), but why harp on about it so.

And why this continual 'everyone thinks we love soccer but we dont' ??

Who has ever said Australians love football (except for maybe Wotty....once)......except for a few idiots in your own country.

No-one outside of Australia gives a fuck about Aussie football or whether Australians like football.....so get over it.

Cheers

This post would suit a post-dive tantrum nicely. ;)

Who has ever said Australians love football except for a few idiots in your own country.

You got that right

Who has ever said Australians love football except for a few idiots in your own country.

You got that right

i got it all right mate ;-))

brazil holland it gonna be tight

i reckon 2-1 to Brazil

My tip is 6:5 for Netherlands after penalties.

brazil holland it gonna be tight

i reckon 2-1 to Brazil

My tip is 6:5 for Netherlands after penalties.

That would be nice. I'd love to see the "experts" who predict Brazil to win before every World Cup with egg on their faces.

I'd love to see the Dutch beat Brazil........

Yep - The Dutch are my outside bet, so hopefully thay can do it. They are the only team that I have missed all their games so far, what with being away and all. Just gonna check in and watch now.

Excellent! The Netherlands move on by knocking out the number one ranked team! Very glad to see Brazil gone...

I'd love to see the Dutch beat Brazil........

Yep - The Dutch are my outside bet, so hopefully thay can do it. They are the only team that I have missed all their games so far, what with being away and all. Just gonna check in and watch now.

Result !!! :P Now it's Germany : Netherlands in the finals ......... ;)

Wow, did Ghana throw that away.

Watching that cheating b'stard celebrate after he missed that penalty in full time was a bit galling I must admit.

Still at least he misses the Dutch game - hopefully Holland will sweep them aside and take their rightful place in the final.

Watching that cheating b'stard celebrate after he missed that penalty in full time was a bit galling I must admit.

Still at least he misses the Dutch game - hopefully Holland will sweep them aside and take their rightful place in the final.

Yes, they definitely will ! Netherlands are CLEARLY the better team !

The only cheater is FIFA who counted Melo's own goal to Sneijder...

GO URUGUAY!!!!

Argentina 0 Germany 4

What can you say....Team spiit,effort,no fear of the opposhition and what would give for a midfield full of Schweinsteigers !!!!!!!!

Note for Messi...When opposition players aren't scared,hassle,play you.and deny you possession,you are a one footed,failed passer of the ball,who the only people who get worried about your shooting,are sitting in Row Z of the stand.You may be deemed "brilliant",but on this World Cup showing........YOU AIN'T !!!

Maradonna.....Stick your "hand of god" goal up your arse,you ugly,stumpy fucker !!!!!!!!!! :fu:

BIG CONGRATS TO GERMANY !!!!!!!!!!!!!