2010 FIFA WORLD CUP

Dave

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

England game was shocking, but if the goal had been awarded, at 2-2 anything could happen. One of the worst decisions I've ever seen at a World Cup, it was so obviously well over the line I still can't believe the ref couldn't see it. I still don't rate Germany; we had most of the possession and gifted them their goals, it's all looking good for South America.

England game was shocking, but if the goal had been awarded, at 2-2 anything could happen. One of the worst decisions I've ever seen at a World Cup, it was so obviously well over the line I still can't believe the ref couldn't see it. I still don't rate Germany; we had most of the possession and gifted them their goals, it's all looking good for South America.

Correct. The goal should have been given. At least we don't need to argue for another 44 years if it was a goal or not, because it was a goal. But in any case Germany was the far better team in every department and if you haven't seen that you have obviously seen a different game.

I don't support any of those teams I can say that England suck in the beginning but they had better chances (2 posts, 1 goal) than Germany. The 2nd half is a different story. With 2-2 that would be a different game definitely.

The same goes for Argentina as well. All those matches seem to me like "magic views"...

I don't support any of those teams I can say that England suck in the beginning but they had better chances (2 posts, 1 goal) than Germany. The 2nd half is a different story. With 2-2 that would be a different game definitely.

The same goes for Argentina as well. All those matches seem to me like "magic views"...

Better chances ? Germany was leading with 2 goals, no need for any posts. If it had been 2:2 it might have been a different game. Germany would have won 4:2, game over. And well deserved, I might add.

Correct. The goal should have been given. At least we don't need to argue for another 44 years if it was a goal or not, because it was a goal. But in any case Germany was the far better team in every department and if you haven't seen that you have obviously seen a different game.

In which case you definitely saw a different game. England's defence was dreadful and up front we were just as bad, but I didn't think there was much in it in midfield, we certainly had a lot more possession. You have to admit Germany were lucky with the goals - you would not expect defending as bad as that at amateur level! With all due respect, I don't think your team played that well, it was more a case of ours playing so badly (apart from 2 or 3 players in midfield who did okay). To be honest, I think both teams were unimpressive, I really hope there are better teams in the World Cup.

The media will probably slate Capello again, which is fair to a point - I do think he plays the wrong tactics and picks some poor players - but these guys are earning millions every year, how can they go out and play like that? The Germany centre backs look pretty average, but they didn't let you down. Rooney, Terry, Upson, Gerrard and one or two others have really let their country down. :crying:

Gotta agree with Bernd here. Yes, there is no doubt that disallowed goal was shocking, and they need to bring in a video ref for stuff like that. How something that obvious can go wrong at a level so high is ridiculous. Absolutely crazy, and you had to feel for England at that point.

But, the fact is, Germany still won by 4-1. Yes, that goal and 2-2 would/could have changed things, but I think it's hard to argue with a 4-1 (4-2 in terms of goals actually scored) scoreline about who the better team on the day was.

Anyway, entertaining match and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't delighted with the result. ;) Still pulling for Netherlands, but if that falls through Germany's next in line for my support.

Better chances ? Germany was leading with 2 goals, no need for any posts. If it had been 2:2 it might have been a different game. Germany would have won 4:2, game over. And well deserved, I might add.

ok Germany was leading with 2 goals (no chance) & England after the shock answered with 2 quick goals within 5(or so) minutes. 2-2 is a different game, Germany looked like lost after 1st goal by England. "Germany would have won 4:2" is a state which I expected from my little niece (she's 3 y old...)

In which case you definitely saw a different game. England's defence was dreadful and up front we were just as bad, but I didn't think there was much in it in midfield, we certainly had a lot more possession. You have to admit Germany were lucky with the goals - you would not expect defending as bad as that at amateur level! With all due respect, I don't think your team played that well, it was more a case of ours playing so badly (apart from 2 or 3 players in midfield who did okay). To be honest, I think both teams were unimpressive, I really hope there are better teams in the World Cup.

The media will probably slate Capello again, which is fair to a point - I do think he plays the wrong tactics and picks some poor players - but these guys are earning millions every year, how can they go out and play like that? The Germany centre backs look pretty average, but they didn't let you down. Rooney, Terry, Upson, Gerrard and one or two others have really let their country down. :crying:

It's all a matter of what angle you look at it. But I certainly don't think Germany's playing was unimpressive. Definitely better than a number of the so-called "high-level" teams like Brazil and Portugal. But we will see .........

ok Germany was leading with 2 goals (no chance) & England after the shock answered with 2 quick goals within 5(or so) minutes. 2-2 is a different game, Germany looked like lost after 1st goal by England. "Germany would have won 4:2" is a state which I expected from my little niece (she's 3 y old...)

Good for your niece that she knows her maths already ! :lol:

Exactly. It could have changed the game completely.

A simple fact is that Germany did not dominate in midfield, which should be worrying for them going forward to face far better teams than shitty England. Germany is an improving side, I just wonder if this tournament may have come a little early for them. For us, we need to rebuild, much as Germany is doing at the moment. Get rid of some of the ridiculously overpaid prima donnas and bring in some younger, hungrier players who might actually look like they are trying and have some pride in the shirt.

:(

Yeah Germany really weren't that good, and will really have to step-up to beat Argentina. Of course England suck and any Pub Team across Europe would've beaten them yesterday, but we always knew that after they failed to top a pathetically weak group. Had we of topped the group then we would've been spared the humiliation of losing to Germany, by losing to Ghana instead! We need to follow Germany's lead and build a young side from scratch, as their team will no doubt be awesome in 3-4 years...

Yeah Germany really weren't that good, and will really have to step-up to beat Argentina. Of course England suck and any Pub Team across Europe would've beaten them yesterday, but we always knew that after they failed to top a pathetically weak group. Had we of topped the group then we would've been spared the humiliation of losing to Germany, by losing to Ghana instead! We need to follow Germany's lead and build a young side from scratch, as their team will no doubt be awesome in 3-4 years...

Yep, everything is most likely very true. Nothing to add from my side. :drink:

Well some v valid comments on the England game.

Here's my view.

Big mistake by Capello continually playing a rigid 4-4-2 formation. Whether he likes it or not, the Germans exploited that formation and basically ran riot. Ozil was almost impossible to pick up as he drifted 'in the hole' (ie exactly what Gerrard should have been doing!) as neither our useless defence or rigid midfield could decide if they should have been marking him.

Allowing us to attack was a master stroke by Germany as we left massive holes st the back and could not even hope of matching the germans counter.....pace, passion and skill....exactly what we were lacking in all departments.

So in summary well done Germany.

Now to the refereeing. Appalling.

How in this day and age a goal that is probably 2 feet over the line can be missed is unforgiveable. A dicision like that can obviously change a game as at the time England were actually looking good and had Germany on the back foot. Whether it would have changed anything in the second half is difficult to tell, as Germany did up their performance massively and were almost lining up to score late on.

Also what about the offside Argie goal....another massive refereeing error. Shameful.

But after all that at least we beat the Aussies again in the cricket to move to 3-0 in the series so it wasnt a totally wasted afternoon lol ;-))

Cheers

Well some v valid comments on the England game.

Here's my view.

Big mistake by Capello continually playing a rigid 4-4-2 formation. Whether he likes it or not, the Germans exploited that formation and basically ran riot. Ozil was almost impossible to pick up as he drifted 'in the hole' (ie exactly what Gerrard should have been doing!) as neither our useless defence or rigid midfield could decide if they should have been marking him.

Allowing us to attack was a master stroke by Germany as we left massive holes st the back and could not even hope of matching the germans counter.....pace, passion and skill....exactly what we were lacking in all departments.

So in summary well done Germany.

Now to the refereeing. Appalling.

How in this day and age a goal that is probably 2 feet over the line can be missed is unforgiveable. A dicision like that can obviously change a game as at the time England were actually looking good and had Germany on the back foot. Whether it would have changed anything in the second half is difficult to tell, as Germany did up their performance massively and were almost lining up to score late on.

Also what about the offside Argie goal....another massive refereeing error. Shameful.

But after all that at least we beat the Aussies again in the cricket to move to 3-0 in the series so it wasnt a totally wasted afternoon lol ;-))

Cheers

Agree 100%. There's no doubt that Germany were the better side, but it's hard to swallow when the England team and the manager have let us down so badly. I hope Holland do well now, Robben has already scored this afternoon, so here's hoping...

But in any case Germany was the far better team in every department and if you haven't seen that you have obviously seen a different game.

Agreed Bernd, England were yet again rubbish!

I still haven't seen an outstanding team performance at this World Cup. Germany, Holland, Argentina, Brazil and others have played well at times, but no one has really stood out as a class team yet. No doubt the press will be trying to outdo each other with praising adjectives for Brazil after beating Chile 3-0, but in my opinion Chile were the better side in the first half. Brazil scored twice in 3 minutes and the rest is history. Argentina have had plenty of luck so far, Holland have played some nice football at times, but not been convincing over 90 minutes yet and Germany were only reasonable against England, but you can only beat what's in front of you and they didn't have to be at their best to win the game. Spain have been good at times without really killing teams off and Portugal have Ronaldo, so the less I say about them the better. It looks like any of about 6 teams could win it, which makes for an exciting tournament. I just hope the team that wins it does so without lots of diving, i.e. cheating. Probably too much to hope for.

But in any case Germany was the far better team in every department and if you haven't seen that you have obviously seen a different game.

Absolutely. If anything we were lucky that Germany weren't more ruthless as it could've been 6 or 7 easily IMO. Totally outclassed in every area of the pitch, and I don't think anyone in England is suggesting that had the game gone to 2-2 (as it clearly should've done) that we would've gone on to win it. One disallowed goal shouldn't paper over the cracks of a shocking performance...

Absolutely. If anything we were lucky that Germany weren't more ruthless as it could've been 6 or 7 easily IMO. Totally outclassed in every area of the pitch, and I don't think anyone in England is suggesting that had the game gone to 2-2 (as it clearly should've done) that we would've gone on to win it. One disallowed goal shouldn't paper over the cracks of a shocking performance...

I agree with most of what you say, although for me to say that we were "totally outclassed in every area of the pitch" is an exaggeration. We were rubbish, but held possession for long periods - although nothing came of it, it's not as if the Germans were running rings around us. They spent long periods defending, occasionally attacking on the break. The fact that they got men behind the ball and closed down quickly should serve as a lesson to our players.

Incidentally, there's been a lot of talk about Ozil and I'm sure he could have caused us a lot of problems, he is clearly a very talented player, but other than a few flashes of skill he didn't really have to do a lot. There's no need for great skill when a team lets you run straight through the middle of them.

And I don't think you can speculate as to what would have happened if the goal was allowed, the performance may have improved, it may not.

On the plus side, there are a number of teams left who are far more entertaining than England to watch.

Indeed Wotters, the Gerard, Lampard double act has put he team back years......IMHO the team as a whole are average players who are made to look good in their club sides by the international players around them that provide them with a decent level of service, left to their own devices and out of their comfort zone they're boned. When people start begging for Joe Cole to come on as some sort of saviour then you have to worry!!!!

Did you ever see the Harry Enfield sketch - The 1933 Arsenal team vs the 1991 Liverpool team......the England performance reminded me of that.....11 players all running after the ball, just like kids do!

The Premiership the FA and their greed has screwed the English game up, home grown talent isn't given the chance as it's easier for the big teams to go on spending sprees abroad for proven "ready made" players. I say we need to limit foreign (outside the U.K.) players to a maximum of 3 .. maybe even 2 on the field of play for a team at any one time during a match. That'll force the big clubs into investing in local talent rather than leaving it to the lower divisions who can't afford the same coaching resources the big boys do so any talent falls by the wayside or never reaches it's full potential!

And it'll mean the lazy bunch that masquerade as the England team will have to raise their game instead of being pretty much guaranteed a place due to the lack of alternatives. Pampered brats....throw the lot off the team and start again....they are exactly why my interest in footy has waned over the last few years.

I don't expect England to win the cup in my lifetime that's for sure (oh yeah they managed it in 66....and don't they go on and on and on and on about it...I wasn't even 4 years old!).

Anyway.....c'mon Spain, gotta support them now as the inlaws live there!

Spain played well tonight, very well at times. Some really nice attacking football, hopefully they can keep it going.

Haha, only saw highlights of most the 2 matches, but even they bored me! :lol: I kept having to switch to the tennis or my 'The Bachelor' video during Japan vs. Paraguay as I tried to watch it live - man that was dull. I guess I'm glad to see Paraguay go through, as I tipped them. And Japan seemed to be diving even worse than Paraguay too. But I went for Portugal in the other match. Poor pick. :(

The diving seems to be getting worse as the tournament progresses (who'd have thought it possible?). No one can seem to stand up anymore. And that poor Portugese bastard who got red-carded at the end of the game due to that Spanish c*nt taking one of the most pathetic dives of the tournament? That was absolutely dreadful to see. I wish him a slow extremely painful death.

Spain played well tonight, very well at times. Some really nice attacking football, hopefully they can keep it going.

i thought the match was dull as dish water. big let down for me.

im looking forward to Argies v Germans.