Jewel cases v digipaks?

Was wondering what people preferred. I love digipaks but then again I take care of CDs and they stay in a protective plastic cover. Was curios because I picked up the Lep Hysteria/Pyromania and Snake Slide/87 anniversary re-issues recently and am very impressed.

Hmm maybe one for the poll?

if digipaks were all the same I wouldn't mind them, but every bloody digipak is a different height and size which makes them a bitch to store... as does the wear element to the cardboard packing.

Sure, digipaks look good... but for long term, jewelcases are better IMO

if digipaks were all the same I wouldn't mind them, but every bloody digipak is a different height and size which makes them a bitch to store... as does the wear element to the cardboard packing.

Sure, digipaks look good... but for long term, jewelcases are better IMO

Agreed digipacks look great but are a pain to store and you need to take pretty good care of them or them become "ratty" very quickly.

I Love Digipacks and have always found them pretty easy to take care of to be honest (Plastic sleeve etc etc). I have some from 10 years ago that still look mint. They usually are the limited edition versions aswell, so come with bonus tracks and other stuff, so they are nice collectors items. Jewel cases are easier though for sure and replacing them when a broken one comes through the post (very often) is easy,(except those crappy new Jewl Boxes which I can't find replacements for anywhere).

UG, I HATE DIGIPACS! I also don't like cardboard sleeves or slim jewels. I am alarmed at the anti-jewel case trend in new music and speculate a shortage of quality used CDs in later years.

I wish they would stick with jewels, they keep the art and inserts in great shape and are easy to replace

actually both can go to hell.....but i prefer j.cases....although 2 of my all time favorite albums were released in digis....actually were 3 but then one was released on j.case and later on mighty vinyl.....

Digipacks + Slimcases + new Jewelcases :2up:

• 4 months later...

Wow...great post Hun. I was going to start this same topic, but I found yours.

Digipaks remind me of LPs. They will probably start looking bad after a while if your not careful. The reason they started this was because of the "green" people and didn't want the plastic cases winding up in a landfill. Boo hoo. I've never thrown away a CD. I have changed some plastic cases, but that's because they came cracked. I definitely prefer plastic cases.

I used to hate DigiPacks but now I'm starting to not mind them so much. They definately can give an album a great presentation. I find if you store them inside a thick guage vinyl plastic cover they stay in good condition. A pain to store in the shelves/CD rack though due to them being larger than a jewel case.

Holy shit.................a thread on digi-packs. How sad we have all become!

It's turning into melrock.com or Rockreport ffs :lol:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Im outta here.

Please think of some more interesting topics for tomorrow ;-)

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Im outta here.

Please think of some more interesting topics for tomorrow ;-)

No problem - Steel Panther is banned aswell mate by the way, otherwise Me and TIM are off ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ;)

• 7 months later...
Guest attacker

I preffer jewel cases... I remember one party, CD lying on the floor (next to me), and my dog (I wonder to this day, or whether he was drunk) vomit on my Exodus "Bonded By Blood" cd (first press Torrid/Combat)- plastic box saved the cd... :bowdown:

(sorry for my English...)

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread & I wondered if I'd get scolded more for resurrecting it or starting a new one, but I wasn't around for this discussion & my opinion matters damn it :D...

I just got a cd today I bought on fleabay & it's in a digipak. Personally I friggin hate these things but luckily most of the music I like didn't have the option. What really bothers me more is the thoughtless seller that doesn't disclose in a sale which he's selling. I know caveat & all but really should I have to ask on every purchase now? The particular cd I got was cheap enough it's not worth sending back. And honestly it's bad enough more than likely I'll just resell it but I just felt like venting lol.

What makes me laugh is the term jewel case - what a f pretentious term that is! It's a cheap hunk of plastic which cracks way too easily and invariably turns up with all the spindly bits which holds the cd cracked off.

At the end of the day plastic case or digipack - they all just gather dust in the end.