"Official" Best of 2009 Thread

I don't think it's been a fantastic year for Modern Rock at all. This year desperately needed a new STORY OF THE YEAR album as they're the best thing in this genre. As a result, ATREYU and CREED have topped my Modern Rock list....

Ive not heard either of those.

However I highly doubt they will even hold a light to Skillet or Monty Are I.

I may be wrong though so i will spotify this week.

Cheers

Sorry mate, I'm so bored of that MONTY ARE I -type sound, it's all been done before so many times and I can't get excited about that stuff anymore. I have the previous disc by that band and it's nothing short of rubbish. The Skillet is a very strong disc, but it still has some filler IMO....

Don't bash the new Monty Are I without hearing it, it's fantastic. But I agree 2009 was not a very good year for Modern Rock.

The only ones that have a chance of beeing in my top 15 at the end of the year are Monthy Are I - Break Through The Silence and Heaven Below - Countdown To Devil.

Yeah Tim, dont knock the new Monty Are I until you've heard it. It absolutely pisses on the debut in every way shape and form possible. As I was discussing with Geoff yesterday, there's only about 2 or 3 songs from the debut that would even have a glimmer of hope of making the 2nd album.

I swear to God, if you heard in full, you'd love it!

The first 5 songs are virtually flawless and if they could have kept up that quality, it wouldnt just be the best modern album of the year, but of the decade IMO.

And Z, as for Heaven Below........that album is utterly essential and is kicking my butt on a daily basis.

Cheers

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Heaven Below is great and should crack my top 10 this year.

I am digging the Atreyu CD but it is severely missing standout tracks. The ballad at the end (which is so UN-Atreyu they'd be the last band on the planet you'd pick if you heard that song on radio) is excellent, but the rest is just good, solid modern hard rock / metal. Sadly for them, there are just so many better songs out there this year, imo.

And yeah, as I've said, the Skillet CD is great but being overtaken daily by bands who actually sound like they're enjoying themselves. :lol:

As for Monty Are I - what Glen and Dave said ; don't knock it till you try it. ;)

I am digging the Atreyu CD but it is severely missing standout tracks. The ballad at the end (which is so UN-Atreyu they'd be the last band on the planet you'd pick if you heard that song on radio) is excellent, but the rest is just good, solid modern hard rock / metal. Sadly for them, there are just so many better songs out there this year, imo.

I think there are some stunning songs on it. "Storm to Pass", "Lonely", "Bleeding is a Luxury" are all killers. Better disc than "Lead Sails Paper Anchor" IMO, with less polish and more aggression. That said, if 2009 had been a truly KILLER year for Modern Rock then it might've fallen down the list a bit as it's far from flawless....

Okay, after some really extensive spins of 2009 discs and a thorough update this is how I'm looking at the moment:

Melodic Rock:

1 . Steel Panther - Feel the steel

2 . Danger Danger - Revolve

3 . Place Vendome - Streets of fire

4 . W.E.T. - s/t

5 . Grand Design - Time elevation

6 . Chris Laney - Pure

7 . Farcry - High gear

8 . New Device - Takin' over

9 . Crash the System - The crowning

10 . Sunstorm - House of dreams

11 . Winger - Karma

12 . Blanc Faces - Falling from the moon

13 . Voices of Rock II - High and mighty

14 . Los Angeles - Neverland

15 . Debbie Ray - Artificial misery

16 . Naughty Boys - Destiny calls

17 . House of Lords - Cartisan dreams

18 . Wildstreet - s/t

19 . Tango Down - Damage control

20 . Dirty Penny - Young and reckless

21 . Babylon Bombs - Babylon's burning

22 . Hardcore Superstar - Beg for it

23 . Lynn Allen - Nine

24 . The Poodles - Clash of the elements

25 . Constancia - Lost and gone

26 . Dynazty - Bring the thunder

27 . Gotthard - Need to believe

28 . Firenote - s/t

29 . Jaded Heart - Perfect insanity

30 . Delany - Blaze and ashes

Modern rock:

1 . Monty Are I - Break through the silence

2 . Boys Like Girls - Love drunk

3 . The Sunstreak - Once upon a lie

4 . No Love Lost - s/t

5 . Fallbrooke - s/t

6 . Faber Drive - Can't keep a secret

7 . Mayday Parade - Anywhere but here

8 . Vaeda - Unsafe at any speed

9 . Papa Roach - Metamorphosis

10 . Nural - Entitlement

11 . Every Avenue - Picture perfect

12 . Pillar - Confessions

13 . Cavo - Bright nights dark days

14 . Adelitas Way - s/t

15 . Skillet - Awake

16 . Heaven Below - Countdown to devil

17 . Venture - Pull the trigger

18 . Exit This Side - Just in case the world ends

19 . We The Kings - Smile Kid

20 . Daughtry - Leave this town

21 . The Used - Artwork

22 . Ghosts of Gloria - Voices from the redroom

23 . Halestorm- s/t

24 . Cartel - Cycles

25 . Bowling for Soup - Sorry for partyin'

26 . The Friday Night Boys - Off the deep end

27 . The Veer Union- Against the grain

28 . Steadlur - Everything is nothing

29 . All Time Low - Nothing personal

30 . Burn Halo -s/t

Unreleased until 2009:

1 . Strike Twice - s/t

2 . Pistol Dawn - Conversation peice

3 . Hunter - LA Crossfire

4 . The Score - The good, the bad and the ugly

5 . Stateline - s/t

6 . Dr Grind - Speechless

7 . Uzi - Madhouse

8 . Allied Nation -Touch n' Go

9 . Alias - Never Say Never

10 . Shake City - s/t

11 . Charlemagne - s/t

12 . Sgt Roxx - Weapons of Miss Distraction

13 . Felony - Helltown Hotel

14 . Gynger Lynn - s/t

15 . High Noon - No turning back

EPs:

1 . White Widdow - s/t

2 . Slam Alley - 21 Fire

3 . Sister - Deadboys making noise

4 . Silverline - Start to believe

5 . Quietdrive - Close your eyes

6 . Forever The Sickest Kids - The weekend: Friday

7 . The Academy Is... - Lost in pacific time

8 . Amber Pacific - s/t

9 . High Flight Society - Par avion

10 . Shooting For Thrills - For all our sins

11 . Talks Cheap - s/t

12 . The Ending - The beginning of the ending

And I should point out that the White Widdow placement is not unfair bias towards an Aussie band - I just love that thing. Three songs or not, I find myself singing 'Cross to bear' and 'Don't fail me now' all the time, especially when I'm nude and this excites me. I am so freakin' excited about a possible full album next year.

Group 1:

Renegade five

Bad Habit

FarCry

Sahara Rain

Places of power

Place Vendome

CHRIS LANEY

Halestorm

Bai bang

Killing Touch

Group 2:

The Trophy

Stryper

Grand Design

Firenote

Wildstreet

Free Spirit

Steevi Jaimz

Blackrain

Salute

WET

Tango Down

Group 3

Primal Fear

Gotthard

Saint Deamon

Charlemagne

Shakra

Crash The System

Revolution Renaissance

Hardline

Lou Gramm

Trick or Treat

StiffKitty

Praying Mantis

Group 4:

The poodles

Koritni

Galvatrons

Hot Leg

The Duds:

Outloud

Solna

Naughty Boys

Sunstorm

Covered Call

Highest Dream

BAD SISTER

Freakshow

Stratovarius

XXX

Tall Stories

Spitfire

AGE STEN NILSEN

Constancia

White Wizzard

Herman Frank

Danger Avenue

The Veer Union

Empires of Eden

Nural

Mastedon

Enuff Z'Nuff

Impellitteri

EPs:

1 . White Widdow - s/t

2 . Slam Alley - 21 Fire

8 . Amber Pacific - s/t

11 . Talks Cheap - s/t

you missed one mate.....Pretty Wild.....probably my fav EP of the year.

Those guys should get a full album out there soonest.

Cheers

EPs:

1 . White Widdow - s/t

2 . Slam Alley - 21 Fire

8 . Amber Pacific - s/t

11 . Talks Cheap - s/t

you missed one mate.....Pretty Wild.....probably my fav EP of the year.

Those guys should get a full album out there soonest.

Cheers

Noted. That'd be at the top, but my copy says 2008 on it. :)

Here is my top 15 of 2009. A solid year that got better in the second half.

1) DANGER DANGER - Revolve (perfection, I never get tired of listening to it)

2) W.E.T - s/t (I tried to find a reason not to like this one and to be overly critical, I couldn't, simply stunning)

3)PLACE VENDOME - Streets Of Fire (this was my #1 from January to September, excellent!)

4) PARADISE LOST - Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us (I'm a huge fanboy, I have no clue why.)

5) STEEL PANTHER - Feel The Steel (despite ball licking, ass munching, VD spreading lyrics, this one ROCKED!!!)

6) THE POODLES - Clash Of The Elements (minus a few fillers, this one would have made my top 3, great stuff)

7)CHRIS LANEY - Pure (Makes me wish Shotgun Messiah had a ''third coming'', awesome release)

8) LEVERAGE - Circus Colossus (Every release with Pekka Heino should make my top 10)

9) HEAVEN BELOW - Countdown To Devil (hands down the best modern rock release of 2009)

10) FARCRY - High Gear (Not to kiss Pete's ass, but this one still finds time in my CD player 8 months later)

11) DREAM THEATER - Black Clouds & Silver Linings (Another work of art from one of the best around)

12) HOT LEG - Red Light Fever (I know I'm in the minority, but I love pretty much anything Justin Hawkins does)

13) ENTWINE - Painstained (Top notch Finnish Melodic Metal/Goth Metal band)

14) MONTY ARE I - Break Through The Silence (This one saved 2009 from being a disaster for modern rock)

15) WILFRED LEBOUTHILLIER - Droit Devant (Killer French Canadian modern rock from l'Acadie)

My top 30 tracks of 2009 (I could add many more to this list)

1) Caroline - THE POODLES

2) If I Fall - W.E.T

3) That's What I'm Talking About - DANGER DANGER

4) A Scene In Replay - PLACE VENDOME

5) Last Man Standing - CHRIS LANEY

6) One Love - W.E.T

7) Party All Day - STEEL PANTHER

8) Love Won't Wait - FARCRY

9) A Thousand Years - HEAVEN BELOW

10) Hearts On The Highway - DANGER DANGER

11) We Run - OUT LOUD

12) One Out Of Ten - THE POODLES

13) Murder 101 - HANSEL

14) Beautifully Confined - ENTWINE

15) Community Property - STEEL PANTHER

16) Brothers In Arms - W.E.T.

17) Cocktails - HOT LEG

18) I'd Die For You - PLACE VENDOME

19) Rocket To Your Heart - DANGER DANGER

20) Whichever Way You Wanna Give It - HOT LEG

21) One In A Million - MONTY ARE I

22) Wolf And The Moon - LEVERAGE

23) Pissed At What You Missed - CHRIS LANEY

24) The Congregation - HEAVEN BELOW

25) Caught By Desire - ENTWINE

26) Break Through The Silence - MONTY ARE I

27) Trojan Guitars - HOT LEG

28) Asian Hooker - STEEL PANTHER

29) I Rule The Night - THE POODLES

30) Keep On Keepin' On - DANGER DANGER

Here is my top 15 of 2009. A solid year that got better in the second half.

1) DANGER DANGER - Revolve (perfection, I never get tired of listening to it)

2) W.E.T - s/t (I tried to find a reason not to like this one and to be overly critical, I couldn't, simply stunning)

3)PLACE VENDOME - Streets Of Fire (this was my #1 from January to September, excellent!)

4) PARADISE LOST - Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us (I'm a huge fanboy, I have no clue why.)

5) STEEL PANTHER - Feel The Steel (despite ball licking, ass munching, VD spreading lyrics, this one ROCKED!!!)

6) THE POODLES - Clash Of The Elements (minus a few fillers, this one would have made my top 3, great stuff)

7)CHRIS LANEY - Pure (Makes me wish Shotgun Messiah had a ''third coming'', awesome release)

8) LEVERAGE - Circus Colossus (Every release with Pekka Heino should make my top 10)

9) HEAVEN BELOW - Countdown To Devil (hands down the best modern rock release of 2009)

10) FARCRY - High Gear (Not to kiss Pete's ass, but this one still finds time in my CD player 8 months later)

11) DREAM THEATER - Black Clouds & Silver Linings (Another work of art from one of the best around)

12) HOT LEG - Red Light Fever (I know I'm in the minority, but I love pretty much anything Justin Hawkins does)

13) ENTWINE - Painstained (Top notch Finnish Melodic Metal/Goth Metal band)

14) MONTY ARE I - Break Through The Silence (This one saved 2009 from being a disaster for modern rock)

15) WILFRED LEBOUTHILLIER - Droit Devant (Killer French Canadian modern rock from l'Acadie)

My top 30 tracks of 2009 (I could add many more to this list)

1) Caroline - THE POODLES

2) If I Fall - W.E.T

3) That's What I'm Talking About - DANGER DANGER

4) A Scene In Replay - PLACE VENDOME

5) Last Man Standing - CHRIS LANEY

6) One Love - W.E.T

7) Party All Day - STEEL PANTHER

8) Love Won't Wait - FARCRY

9) A Thousand Years - HEAVEN BELOW

10) Hearts On The Highway - DANGER DANGER

11) We Run - OUT LOUD

12) One Out Of Ten - THE POODLES

13) Murder 101 - HANSEL

14) Beautifully Confined - ENTWINE

15) Community Property - STEEL PANTHER

16) Brothers In Arms - W.E.T.

17) Cocktails - HOT LEG

18) I'd Die For You - PLACE VENDOME

19) Rocket To Your Heart - DANGER DANGER

20) Whichever Way You Wanna Give It - HOT LEG

21) One In A Million - MONTY ARE I

22) Wolf And The Moon - LEVERAGE

23) Pissed At What You Missed - CHRIS LANEY

24) The Congregation - HEAVEN BELOW

25) Caught By Desire - ENTWINE

26) Break Through The Silence - MONTY ARE I

27) Trojan Guitars - HOT LEG

28) Asian Hooker - STEEL PANTHER

29) I Rule The Night - THE POODLES

30) Keep On Keepin' On - DANGER DANGER

Nice lists Z.......but this comment continues to baffle me -

(This one saved 2009 from being a disaster for modern rock)

My top 10 modern is looking totally awesome now..............every album i love dearly.....not many years when i could say that.

MHR -

1. W.E.T. - s/t

2. Danger Danger - Revolve

3. Steel Panther - Feel The Steel

4. Winger - Karma

5. Kiss - Sonic Boom

6. Place Vendome - Streets of Fire

7. Gotthard - Need To Believe

8. Farcry - High Gear

9. Crash The System - The Crowning

10. The Poodles - Clash Of The Elements

Modern

1. Monty Are I - Break Through The Silence

2. New Device - Takin Over

3. Heaven Below - Countdown To Devil

4. Skillet - Awake

5. Daughtry - Feels Like Home (inc bonus tracks)

6. Halestorm - s/t

7. Nural - Entitlement

8. Adelitas Way - s/t

9. The Veer Union - Against The Grain

10 Vaeda - Unsafe At Any Speed

No actualy changes to the top 10 MHR just some tweaks. Been listening again to Place Vendome and I have to admit that this is still an excellent album which i had let slip a little too far. Still nowhere near the top 3 IMO. Danger Danger just gets better with every listen, although truth be told there's probably only 1-2 % pts in the top 3 (say somewhere around 91-93%)

Big shake up for my modern top 10. Vaeda back in.......man i listened to this a few times over the weekend and this is a monster album! I had almost forgotten about this gem and it might still move up even higher. New Device is still kicking my arse and might just be my most listened to disc this year.....partly because it permanently resides in my car.......might even still have a shot at top spot, who knows...... & of course Heaven Below straight in at No 3 and deservedly so, as this is just awesome.

& for anyone who says 2009 has been weak for modern rock.......well what can I say, except those top 10 rock my world.

Cheers

No actualy changes to the top 10 MHR just some tweaks. Been listening again to Place Vendome and I have to admit that this is still an excellent album which i had let slip a little too far.

Backed. I was surprised to see it slip on your list. Hasn't left my top 3 all year - killer disc.

Vaeda back in.......man i listened to this a few times over the weekend and this is a monster album! I had almost forgotten about this gem and it might still move up even higher.

Backed. Hasn't left my top 10 all year (I don't think... maybe top 12). Killer album which has sadly only been released through I-Tunes. :(! After such an average debut, this one just kicks so much ass.

New Device is still kicking my arse and might just be my most listened to disc this year

Backed... but I just cannot bring myself to put it in my "modern" list. Pure 80's style hard rock if you ask me, complete with solos and all. Reminds me of a harder rocking Pretty Boy Floyd more than any modern band.

Mate, did you revisit Venture's 'Pull the trigger' too? That one keeps getting better for me everytime I spin it.

No actualy changes to the top 10 MHR just some tweaks. Been listening again to Place Vendome and I have to admit that this is still an excellent album which i had let slip a little too far.

Backed. I was surprised to see it slip on your list. Hasn't left my top 3 all year - killer disc.

Vaeda back in.......man i listened to this a few times over the weekend and this is a monster album! I had almost forgotten about this gem and it might still move up even higher.

Backed. Hasn't left my top 10 all year (I don't think... maybe top 12). Killer album which has sadly only been released through I-Tunes. :(! After such an average debut, this one just kicks so much ass.

New Device is still kicking my arse and might just be my most listened to disc this year

Backed... but I just cannot bring myself to put it in my "modern" list. Pure 80's style hard rock if you ask me, complete with solos and all. Reminds me of a harder rocking Pretty Boy Floyd more than any modern band.

Mate, did you revisit Venture's 'Pull the trigger' too? That one keeps getting better for me everytime I spin it.

yeah i know what you mean about New Device and even Heaven Below......but they have a completely different sound to say a Farcry or Place Vendome.......thats they only real reason.

Nah, havent listened to Venture for ages.....will do though. All i have is 'The Prisoner'....is that the same album??

Cheers

yeah i know what you mean about New Device and even Heaven Below......but they have a completely different sound to say a Farcry or Place Vendome.......thats they only real reason.

Nah, havent listened to Venture for ages.....will do though. All i have is 'The Prisoner'....is that the same album??

Cheers

Nah, 'The Prisoner' is their debut - from 2007 I think. 'Pull the trigger' is their new CD from this year. Heavier, a bit less polished, aggressive and a little more Disciple sounding... but it kicks ass.

Cheers

Nah, 'The Prisoner' is their debut - from 2007 I think. 'Pull the trigger' is their new CD from this year. Heavier, a bit less polished, aggressive and a little more Disciple sounding... but it kicks ass.

oh interesting...i'll check that out. Cheers.

Still lots I haven't heard but my year is shaping up something like this...haven't included modern rock in here

Top 10:

W.E.T. - S/T

Grand Design - Time Elevation

Place Vendome - Streets Of Fire

Danger Danger - Revolve

Foreigner - Can't Slow Down

Dare - Arc of the Dawn

Winger - Karma

KISS - Sonic Boom

Keith Urban - Defying Gravity

Outloud - S/T

11-15

Blanc Faces - Falling From the Moon

AOR - Journey to L.A.

Voices of Rock - II: High & Mighty

Hot Leg - Red Light Fever

The Psychics - S/T

Most disappointing album = Bon Jovi

I've struggled to put together my list this year as there have been tons of really good discs, but only really 2 have blown me away & that are pretty much flawless IMO. Some massive surprises (30 SECONDS TO MARS, CREED, ATREYU, FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH) and some horrible disappointments (SLAYER, HOUSE OF LORDS, PRIMAL FEAR, PARAMORE, MASTEDON), but the usual mixture of genres from me....

1. THIRTY SECONDS TO MARS - This Is War

2. W.E.T - W.e.t

3. DESPISED ICON - Day of Mourning

4. PLACE VENDOME - Streets of Fire

5. BLACK DAHLIA MURDER - Deflorate

6. ATREYU - Congregation of the Damned

7. DANGER DANGER - Revolve

8. LAMB OF GOD - Wrath

9. CREED - Full Circle

10. FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH - War is the Answer

11. NURAL - Entitlement

12. AUGUST BURNS RED - Constellations

13. JOB FOR A COWBOY - Ruination

14. SUNSTORM - House of Dreams

15. HATEBREED - S/T

Other killer discs... SKILLET, FARCRY, ADELITAS WAY, RED CHORD, SUICIDE SILENCE, AUSTRIAN DEATH MACHINE, CRASH THE SYSTEM, THE USED, WINGER, DIVINE HERESY, CHIMAIRA, KILLSWITCH ENGAGE

Here's my list in no praticular order:

Ichutzpah-The Wildhearts

Sonic Boom-Kiss

The Devil You Know-Heaven & Hell

The Latest-Cheap Trick

The Visitor-UFO

Everyday Demons-The Answer

The Incident-Porcupine Tree

Down To The Bone-Electric Mary

I'm sure there's more but off the top of my head that's all i can think of at the moment.

So last day to have another spin to 09 albums before posting your final list!!

Just finishing mine off, so a couple of days and all will be revealed.

Well.... I don't think I'll be adding to my collection tomorrow.... so here it goes.

Top 10 for 2009:

10.) DIRTY PENNY ~ "Young and Reckless"

9.) FREAKSHOW ~ "Freakshow"

8.) STRYPER ~ "Murder by Pride"

7.) CHEAP TRICK ~ "The Latest"

6.) CHARM CITY DEVILS ~ "Let's Rock-N-Roll"

5.) WILDSTREET ~ "Wildstreet"

4.) BAI BANG ~ "Are You Ready ?"

3.) LILLIAN AXE ~ "Sad Day On Planet Earth"

2.) RONNY MUNROE ~ "The Fire Within"

1.) DORO ~ "Fear No Evil"

That's my list... and I'm stickin' with it. :headbanger: