"Official" Best of 2009 Thread

As I`m short of entries, it`ll be Heaven And Hell - The Devil You Know and Foreigner - Can`t Slow Down.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are a mad mad man still having Fallbrooke at no 2 (no 3 in essence).

& as good as D2 is, there's still nothing to touch the totally awesome Steel Panther.

PS anyone see on Nov 9th there's a new Wigwam cd due????! Some confusion over the release date as this could be the Jap version. Still great news!

Hope to get a first listen to the WET album this weekend too. High hopes for this disc!

Cheers

Fallbrooke is a very comfortable third at the moment. I love Skillet, but it is a little one-dimensional. Fallbrooke still really excites me. And I decided on Monty Are I for the top spot too. Just a killer disc.

As for Steel Panther/D2... I have to admit there might be some favouritism from the past creeping into my D2 choice, but I'm not sure. I think it's there totally on it's own merits. There's not a filler on either disc, but if you ask me the weaker tracks on the D2 album are better than the weaker songs on the Steel Panther disc, and to be honest that's what got it over the line for me. :)

AWESOME news about the new Wig Wam CD. Always a contender for album of the year from those guys. As for WET, I think I'll love it but I doubt it'll be as much as you guys.

I guess I'm not feelin' the same love for W.E.T. that everyone else is. It's a very good album, but it's not blowing me away. There's nothing on it that goes "over the top" for me. It's too similar to all the other generic JSS projects he's done. I need to play it some more and see if it grows on me, but thus far it gets a resounding "ok" from me.

Mastedon, on the other hand, is kicking my ass six ways to Sunday.

-Dan

Other way around for me. That Mastedon just isn't doing it for me at all, pretty average stuff. The W.E.T is sounding awesome, though it is definitely generic it's still top quality.

I guess I'm not feelin' the same love for W.E.T. that everyone else is. It's a very good album, but it's not blowing me away. There's nothing on it that goes "over the top" for me. It's too similar to all the other generic JSS projects he's done. I need to play it some more and see if it grows on me, but thus far it gets a resounding "ok" from me.

Mastedon, on the other hand, is kicking my ass six ways to Sunday.

-Dan

Other way around for me. That Mastedon just isn't doing it for me at all, pretty average stuff. The W.E.T is sounding awesome, though it is definitely generic it's still top quality.

WET is awesome. With a massive capital A.

Esp the last 4 or 5 tracks which are all just stunning and completely blew me away.

and hence by way of a little update -

MHR -

1. W.E.T. - s/t

2. Steel Panther - Feel The Steel

3. Danger Danger - Revolve

4. Kiss - Sonic Boom

5. Gotthard - Need To Believe

6. Farcry - High Gear

7. Crash The System - The Crowning

8. Place Vendome - Streets Of Fire

9. The Poodles - Clash Of The Elements

10. House Of Lords - Cartesian Dreams

Modern

1. Skillet - Awake

2. Monty Are I - Break Through The Silence

3. Daughtry - Feels Like Home (inc bonus tracks)

4. Adelitas Way - s/t

5. Halestorm - s/t

6. Nural - Entitlement

7. The Veer Union - Against The Grain

8. New Device - Takin Over

9. Pound - Stardust, Lies & Holy Water

10. Cavo - Bright Nights Dark Days

WET is just awesome. Hardly a filler in sight and the second half of the album just blew me away.

Monty Are I have been slotted in at No 2..........its gonna be a toss up between that and Skillet, as there's not too much more in the modern stakes to come and those 2 are miles ahead of the pack.

Cheers

:lol: That KISS discs looks so out of place in that list, mate. As I said in the thread, it's a good new disc but I'd be totally lying if I tried to actually compare it in terms of quality to the other 9 CDs in your top 10. ;) A good party rock disc, but to be completely honest I doubt it'll break my top 30 or 40.

:lol: That KISS discs looks so out of place in that list, mate. As I said in the thread, it's a good new disc but I'd be totally lying if I tried to actually compare it in terms of quality to the other 9 CDs in your top 10. ;) A good party rock disc, but to be completely honest I doubt it'll break my top 30 or 40.

For me its a totally classic Kiss album and well deserves its spot in the top 10.

Massive return to form for the guys and contains 3 or 4 of my fav songs this year.

Alright I'm gonna give this a try even though it will be for nothing in two months plus the new WASP and few other will probably find their way on to this list before it's all said and done.

1. FarCry-High Gear(This disc has gotten more spins than any other for 2009. Excellent stuff IMO)

2. Heaven&Hell-The Devil You Know(This is Metal. While it took a few spins to sink in once it did it's incredible)

3. Winger-Karma(Just got this one but damn this is excellent and so unexpected)

4. Kiss-Sonic Boom(Being a huge Ace fan it's hard for me to admit that this is a damn good return to form and Tommy plays and sings his ass off as does Eric)

5. The Last Vegas-Whatever Gets You Off(Just love the sleazy/early Aerosmith vibe of this one)

6. Danger Danger-Revolve(Might not sound like the early stuff but can't fault this disc one bit. Excellent.)

7. House of Lords-Cartesian Dreams(This is growing into a monster release for me. Much better than it was on the first spin)

8. Ace Frehley-Anomaly(Horrible packaging aside a nice comeback for the spaceman that is a great mix of the 78 solo album with the Trouble Walkin release)

9. Gotthard-Need to Believe(Not as goods as the last two but still a great Melodic Rock disc with great chorus' and memorable songs)

10. Foreigner-Can't Slow Down(Wasn't expecting this to be this good but am thankful that it is.)

11. Lynch Mob-Smoke and Mirrors(Although it didn't sound like Wicked Sensation as promised this is a great bluesy hard rock disc sounding at times like Badlands.)

12. Tango Down-Damage Control(Another great release from Kivel Records.)

13. The Answer-Everyday Demons(This is the way new Classic Rock should be done IMO)

14. Chickenfoot-s/t(A fun rocking good time hard rock disc with a great cast that thankfully doesn't sound like any of the bands that the members come from. A disc that stands on it's own IMO)

15. Reece-Universal Language(I know it's not as good as what David did with Accept or Bangalore Choir but damn this is a good disc and those that skipped it after not like samples are missing out IMO)

16. Saxon-Into the Labyrinth(Another great album from Saxon. These guys just get better with age)

17. Megadeth-Endgame(A thrashy good time that sounds like the second coming of Rust in Peace, although I don't think it's quite as good as United Abominations)

18. Tim Ripper Owens-Play My Game(This was grower from the beginning but I'm glad I gave it a chance since it's damn good disc that stands on it's own from Tim's other projects/bands)

19. Helstar-The King of Hell(Some great metal and vocally an amazing disc from James Rivera and the guys. I highly recommend jamming to "The Garden of Temptation" at full blast.)

20. Charm City Devils-Lets Rock N Roll(At times sounding like AC/DC but at times sounding like something else. I really dug this disc. It don't reinvent the wheel but it's fun all the same. "Pour Me" and "Best of the Worst" are two of my fav songs of the year)

21. Lynyrd Skynyrd-God+Guns

22. Impellitteri-Wicked Maiden

23. Freakshow-s/t

24. Wildstreet-s/t

25. Primal Fear-16.6

26. Alice in Chains-Black Gives Way to Blue

27. Street Legal-Bite the Bullet

28. Shadowsn Fall-Retribution

29. Great White-Rising

30. Stratovarious-Polaris

Turd of the year:

Queensryche-American Soldier

Fav Eonian Releases:

1. Shake City-s/t

2. Strike Twice-s/t

3. Pistol Dawn-Conversation Piece

4. Charlemagne-s/t

5. High Noon-No Turning Back

6. Felony-Helltown Hotel

7. UZI-Madhouse

8. Gynger Lynn-s/t

I'm a major skeptic in all phases of music, I usually think it's been done before and better. Most cases, it's very true. As far as melodic goes for this year I've got to agree with H&H and say Farcry. It's getting major comp from Danger Danger right now but what a great cd these guys came out with. My newborn daughter will be getting a major dose of this when she's older which is the sign of a classic in my book.

A big shuffle this week and still alot of repeated spins required, but top 10's are looking a little like this:

MHR:

1 . Danger Danger - Revolve

2 . Steel Panther - Feel the steel

3 . Place Vendome - Streets of fire

4 . Crash the System - The crowning

5 . W.E.T. - s/t

6 . Voices of Rock II - High and mighty

7 . Grand Design - Time elevation

8 . Winger - Karma

9 . Farcry - High gear

10 . Chris Laney - Pure

Modern:

1 . Monty Are I - Break through the silence

2 . The Sunstreak - Once upon a lie

3 . No Love Lost - s/t

4 . Fallbrooke - s/t

5 . Skillet - Awake

6 . Boys Like Girls - Love drunk

7 . Pillar - Confessions

8 . Papa Roach - Metamorphosis

9 . Daughtry - Leave this town

10 . The Used - Artwork

Alright I'm gonna give this a try even though it will be for nothing in two months plus the new WASP and few other will probably find their way on to this list before it's all said and done.

1. FarCry-High Gear(This disc has gotten more spins than any other for 2009. Excellent stuff IMO)

2. Heaven&Hell-The Devil You Know(This is Metal. While it took a few spins to sink in once it did it's incredible)

4. Kiss-Sonic Boom(Being a huge Ace fan it's hard for me to admit that this is a damn good return to form and Tommy plays and sings his ass off as does Eric)

5. The Last Vegas-Whatever Gets You Off(Just love the sleazy/early Aerosmith vibe of this one)

6. Danger Danger-Revolve(Might not sound like the early stuff but can't fault this disc one bit. Excellent.)

7. House of Lords-Cartesian Dreams(This is growing into a monster release for me. Much better than it was on the first spin)

8. Ace Frehley-Anomaly(Horrible packaging aside a nice comeback for the spaceman that is a great mix of the 78 solo album with the Trouble Walkin release)

9. Gotthard-Need to Believe(Not as goods as the last two but still a great Melodic Rock disc with great chorus' and memorable songs)

10. Foreigner-Can't Slow Down(Wasn't expecting this to be this good but am thankful that it is.)

11. Lynch Mob-Smoke and Mirrors(Although it didn't sound like Wicked Sensation as promised this is a great bluesy hard rock disc sounding at times like Badlands.)

13. The Answer-Everyday Demons(This is the way new Classic Rock should be done IMO)

14. Chickenfoot-s/t(A fun rocking good time hard rock disc with a great cast that thankfully doesn't sound like any of the bands that the members come from. A disc that stands on it's own IMO)

15. Reece-Universal Language(I know it's not as good as what David did with Accept or Bangalore Choir but damn this is a good disc and those that skipped it after not like samples are missing out IMO)

16. Saxon-Into the Labyrinth(Another great album from Saxon. These guys just get better with age)

17. Megadeth-Endgame(A thrashy good time that sounds like the second coming of Rust in Peace, although I don't think it's quite as good as United Abominations)

18. Tim Ripper Owens-Play My Game(This was grower from the beginning but I'm glad I gave it a chance since it's damn good disc that stands on it's own from Tim's other projects/bands)

19. Helstar-The King of Hell(Some great metal and vocally an amazing disc from James Rivera and the guys. I highly recommend jamming to "The Garden of Temptation" at full blast.)

20. Charm City Devils-Lets Rock N Roll(At times sounding like AC/DC but at times sounding like something else. I really dug this disc. It don't reinvent the wheel but it's fun all the same. "Pour Me" and "Best of the Worst" are two of my fav songs of the year)

23. Freakshow-s/t

24. Wildstreet-s/t

25. Primal Fear-16.6

29. Great White-Rising

Turd of the year:

Fav Eonian Releases:

1. Shake City-s/t

2. Strike Twice-s/t

4. Charlemagne-s/t

6. Felony-Helltown Hotel

7. UZI-Madhouse

8. Gynger Lynn-s/t

Well damn I somehow left off Steel Panther "Feel the Steel" off of my list. :doh:

If I could do it again it'd be somewhere in the top 20 probably.

23. Freakshow-s/t

24. Wildstreet-s/t

25. Primal Fear-16.6

29. Great White-Rising

Turd of the year:

Fav Eonian Releases:

1. Shake City-s/t

2. Strike Twice-s/t

4. Charlemagne-s/t

6. Felony-Helltown Hotel

7. UZI-Madhouse

8. Gynger Lynn-s/t

Well damn I somehow left off Steel Panther "Feel the Steel" off of my list. :doh:

I must admit I was actually wondering about that as I thought you were a fan.

23. Freakshow-s/t

24. Wildstreet-s/t

25. Primal Fear-16.6

29. Great White-Rising

Turd of the year:

Fav Eonian Releases:

1. Shake City-s/t

2. Strike Twice-s/t

4. Charlemagne-s/t

6. Felony-Helltown Hotel

7. UZI-Madhouse

8. Gynger Lynn-s/t

I must admit I was actually wondering about that as I thought you were a fan.

I've got to many cds that have come out this year and somehow missed that one.

But I think the WASP will find it's way on my list somewhere as will the Machines of Grace release.

I was actually going to make a thread discussing that, but I agree. This year seems to have featured an abundance of new releases. In my opinion, more than recent years. Every week there appears to be another half dozen releases coming out in the AOR/MHR/glam/hard rock genres and it's been a f*cker of a year keeping up with it all... not to mention that for those into modern rock it's been a similar story, so the amount of releases to get through has been HUGE.

2009 may be a little light on amazing albums, but looking through my lists there are a hell of a lot of good-very good CDs out there.

I was actually going to make a thread discussing that, but I agree. This year seems to have featured an abundance of new releases. In my opinion, more than recent years. Every week there appears to be another half dozen releases coming out in the AOR/MHR/glam/hard rock genres and it's been a f*cker of a year keeping up with it all... not to mention that for those into modern rock it's been a similar story, so the amount of releases to get through has been HUGE.

2009 may be a little light on amazing albums, but looking through my lists there are a hell of a lot of good-very good CDs out there.

Yup and that's what's made it so hard to pick a top 20 list for the year even tougher when you take into account all of the great reissues(or in some cases first time being released) this year such as the Eonian releases.

That sums up how I feel too. Lots of good stuff, but still waiting for that one disc to blow me away (though I haven't heard the W.E.T yet).

A big shuffle this week and still alot of repeated spins required, but top 10's are looking a little like this:

MHR:

5 . W.E.T. - s/t

8 . Winger - Karma

9 . Farcry - High gear

10 . Chris Laney - Pure

Modern:

3 . No Love Lost - s/t

4 . Fallbrooke - s/t

5 . Skillet - Awake

7 . Pillar - Confessions

10 . The Used - Artwork

Just a few points -

WET below Place Vendome / Crash The System = madman!

Voices of Rock above Winger / Farcry = even more of a madman!

& who the fuck are 'The Sunstreak'?? must be freakily good for you to rate above NLL

MHR -

1. W.E.T. - s/t

2. Steel Panther - Feel The Steel

3. Danger Danger - Revolve

4. Winger - Karma

5. Kiss - Sonic Boom

6. Gotthard - Need To Believe

7. Farcry - High Gear

8. Crash The System - The Crowning

9. Place Vendome - Streets Of Fire

10. The Poodles - Clash Of The Elements

Modern

1. Skillet - Awake

2. Monty Are I - Break Through The Silence

3. Daughtry - Feels Like Home (inc bonus tracks)

4. Adelitas Way - s/t

5. Halestorm - s/t

6. Nural - Entitlement

7. The Veer Union - Against The Grain

8. New Device - Takin Over

9. Pound - Stardust, Lies & Holy Water

10. Cavo - Bright Nights Dark Days

A lot of comments around how 2009 has only been good to very good.

Looking at my top 10s for both MHR and modern, I must admit that a love all 20 of those albums so its been a pretty excellent year for me personally. I mean for Place Vendome to be no 9 now says it all. I truly thought when I first heard that album that it would top my MHR list for 09, but I have to admit that every album above it deserves its place.

MHR:

5 . W.E.T. - s/t

8 . Winger - Karma

9 . Farcry - High gear

10 . Chris Laney - Pure

Modern:

3 . No Love Lost - s/t

4 . Fallbrooke - s/t

5 . Skillet - Awake

7 . Pillar - Confessions

10 . The Used - Artwork

Just a few points -

& who the fuck are 'The Sunstreak'?? must be freakily good for you to rate above NLL

And I wouldn't be me if I did not respond:

WET below Place Vendome / Crash The System = madman! ; Yep, I admit I was very premature putting it behind Crash The System and that has already been rectified after listening to them back to back. But Place Vendome has just as many killer songs, and no real fillers. Yeah, for sure that's still above the excellent WET disc. For me, that Place Vendome disc is excellent.

Voices of Rock above Winger / Farcry = even more of a madman! ; mate, I am really digging Voices of Rock! It's a good CD. I'd only spun Winger once when I did the update and there may still be a shuffle, but I don't really have an issue with that order at the moment. There is some killer stuff on the VOR disc.

& who the fuck are 'The Sunstreak'?? must be freakily good for you to rate above NLL ; I made a (well received) thread about them the other day. As I said there, they're like a mix of Fallbrooke and Quietdrive. I only heard the MP3's once and bought the CD immediately so I'm waiting for that to arrive before more spins, but yeah, kind of blew me away. Extremely consistent, which is what modern rock (aside from Monty Are I) has not offered me this year. I loved it.

BUT, as I said at the top of my list, still got to spin a lot of these discs a lot more times before I concrete anything. Steel Panther still has a shot at number one, but I don't see anything modern toppling Monty Are I.

MHR:

5 . W.E.T. - s/t

8 . Winger - Karma

9 . Farcry - High gear

10 . Chris Laney - Pure

Modern:

3 . No Love Lost - s/t

4 . Fallbrooke - s/t

5 . Skillet - Awake

7 . Pillar - Confessions

10 . The Used - Artwork

Just a few points -

And I wouldn't be me if I did not respond:

WET below Place Vendome / Crash The System = madman! ; Yep, I admit I was very premature putting it behind Crash The System and that has already been rectified after listening to them back to back. But Place Vendome has just as many killer songs, and no real fillers. Yeah, for sure that's still above the excellent WET disc. For me, that Place Vendome disc is excellent.

Voices of Rock above Winger / Farcry = even more of a madman! ; mate, I am really digging Voices of Rock! It's a good CD. I'd only spun Winger once when I did the update and there may still be a shuffle, but I don't really have an issue with that order at the moment. There is some killer stuff on the VOR disc.

& who the fuck are 'The Sunstreak'?? must be freakily good for you to rate above NLL ; I made a (well received) thread about them the other day. As I said there, they're like a mix of Fallbrooke and Quietdrive. I only heard the MP3's once and bought the CD immediately so I'm waiting for that to arrive before more spins, but yeah, kind of blew me away. Extremely consistent, which is what modern rock (aside from Monty Are I) has not offered me this year. I loved it.

BUT, as I said at the top of my list, still got to spin a lot of these discs a lot more times before I concrete anything. Steel Panther still has a shot at number one, but I don't see anything modern toppling Monty Are I.

Geoff, if there's one constant on this site - its that you will always reply! LOL

Fair dues mate...still good lists.

Your parting shot (in bold) is very true.

As of right now:

Heaven & Hell - THE DEVIL YOU KNOW

Megadeth - ENDGAME

Beatallica - MASTERFUL MYSTERY TOUR

Primal Fear - 16.6

Kiss - SONIC BOOM

Haven't yet decided on my Top 10, but is a tough call between ATREYU "Congregation of the Damned" and the W.E.T album (which even after a couple of spins is sounding awesome) for the No.1 spot. Am also loving the new SCAR SYMMETRY which will be right up there too....