"Official" Best of 2009 Thread

The 'Heaven and Hell' disc has been destroying all comers for me...

Backed...monster album!

If it wasnt for the brillliance of Farcry, Crash The System etc that would be near the top for me too :headbanger:

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel I have to update and include Hotspur which is just f genius to these ears........not really a rock record of sorts but just brilliant melodies/songs/lyrics. love it........and its my most played album in the last 4 weeks.

MHR

1. Steel Panther - Feel The Steel

2. Crash The System - The Crowning

3. Place Vendome - Streets Of Fire

4. The Poodles - Clash Of The Elements

5. Farcry - High Gear

6. Sunstorm - House Of Dreams

7. Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know

8. Chris Laney - Pure

9. Outloud - Rock You To Hell And Back

10. Johnny Lima - Livin Out Loud

Modern

1. Hotspur - You Should Know Better By Now

2. Adelitas Way - s/t

3. Daughtry - Feels Like Home (inc bonus tracks)

4. Nural - Entitlement

5. The Veer Union - Against The Grain

6. Society Red - s/t

7. New Device - Takin Over

8. Halestorm - s/t

9. Evans Blue - s/t

10. Papa Roach - Metamorphosis

I've got three more that will make my Top 10 (shifting out some of the dead-wood):-

DIVINE HERESY - Bringer of Plagues

DEAD BY APRIL - S/T

AUGUST BURNS RED - Constellations

Just a little tweak...New Device up a spot...really love this disc, kick arse throughout.

MHR

2. Crash The System - The Crowning

3. Place Vendome - Streets Of Fire

4. The Poodles - Clash Of The Elements

5. Farcry - High Gear

6. Sunstorm - House Of Dreams

7. Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know

8. Chris Laney - Pure

9. Outloud - Rock You To Hell And Back

10. Johnny Lima - Livin Out Loud

Modern

1. Hotspur - You Should Know Better By Now

2. Adelitas Way - s/t

3. Daughtry - Feels Like Home (inc bonus tracks)

4. Nural - Entitlement

5. The Veer Union - Against The Grain

6. New Device - Takin Over

7. Society Red - s/t

8. Halestorm - s/t

9. Evans Blue - s/t

10. Papa Roach - Metamorphosis

Just in regard to the comments in another thread the other day, this is what I meant by you going wild about the Hotspur CD. To see it at top spot knowing how much you love that Adelitas Way disc blew me away. I've lost touch with 2009 at the moment and literally have a pile of about 20 new releases to get through when I'm done with the new CDs in the mail and getting my new trade list ready, but I'll be back soon up to date.

Just in regard to the comments in another thread the other day, this is what I meant by you going wild about the Hotspur CD. To see it at top spot knowing how much you love that Adelitas Way disc blew me away. I've lost touch with 2009 at the moment and literally have a pile of about 20 new releases to get through when I'm done with the new CDs in the mail and getting my new trade list ready, but I'll be back soon up to date.

Yeah it surprised me a bit too when I re-did the list and decided it deserved top spot.

But what defines top spot.....your most played disc? One which you enjoy each time you spin it? One which doesnt get boring? One which is original? One which hardly contains a filler? Well it kicks all those boxes....which isnt true for all the ones beneath it. However, all those discs in the top 10 modern are excellent IMO.

As for Wes's comment I agree completely........I can see Gotthard, D2, Treat, WET, HOL etc all demolishing my MHR top 10. Should be a great end to the year.

Sorry mate that Hotspur thing isn't my bag. Some nice choruses but I hate the vocals, and it really reminds me of a more laid-back FALL OUT BOY (but not as good IMO). The NURAL is tons better, so is ADELITAS WAY.

I've heard all the D2 disc now and it's definitely Top 10 (at the moment), but it's not a complete winner by any stretch of the imagination.

Sorry mate that Hotspur thing isn't my bag. Some nice choruses but I hate the vocals, and it really reminds me of a more laid-back FALL OUT BOY (but not as good IMO). The NURAL is tons better, so is ADELITAS WAY.

I've heard all the D2 disc now and it's definitely Top 10 (at the moment), but it's not a complete winner by any stretch of the imagination.

Yeah its not really a rock record...just struck a cord with me though. Those songs are pretty addictive.......who knows the novelty may well wear off later in the year and it might slip back into the pack.

Bit disappointed by those D2 comments....I loved the samples. Do you enjoy the Ted solo discs?

Yeah its not really a rock record...just struck a cord with me though. Those songs are pretty addictive.......who knows the novelty may well wear off later in the year and it might slip back into the pack.

Bit disappointed by those D2 comments....I loved the samples. Do you enjoy the Ted solo discs?

Haha. Mate, wouldn't be too disappointed by those comments. What's one big name release our buddy Tim has really loved in... well, ever? :lol: He's a harsh bastard... but a handsome one and that's why he gets away with it.

I loved the Ted solo discs, and it's kinda similar but tries to appeal to both his solo fans and old D2 fans and it mostly works but not always. I'd give it about an 8.5/10 as it's definitely not all-KILLER....

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a torrid time sorting out my modern list.

How the fuck do you separate albums like Cavo / Vaeda / Pound / Skillet / New Device / Veer Union / Nural / Adelitas Way etc..........each one is excellent in its own right.

I might just give up.

How the fuck do you separate albums like Cavo / Vaeda / Pound / Skillet / New Device / Veer Union / Nural / Adelitas Way etc..........each one is excellent in its own right.

I might just give up.

Still haven't heard Skillet or New Device but I agree all are very good. My problem? None of them are truly excellent, imo. Still waiting for a real monster modern rock disc from this year.

I might just give up.

Still haven't heard Skillet or New Device but I agree all are very good. My problem? None of them are truly excellent, imo. Still waiting for a real monster modern rock disc from this year.

Mmm, i have to say that repeated listens to the above - they are all really good. A strong year for me in the modern stakes.

Skillet is a monster and that will probably end up on top.

Right another liitle update.......

MHR -

2. Danger Danger - Revolve

3. Crash The System - The Crowning

4. Place Vendome - Streets Of Fire

5. The Poodles - Clash Of The Elements

6. Farcry - High Gear

7. Sunstorm - House Of Dreams

8. Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know

9. Chris Laney - Pure

10. Outloud - Rock You To Hell And Back

Modern

1. Skillet - Awake

2. Hotspur - You Should Know Better By Now

3. Adelitas Way - s/t

4. Daughtry - Feels Like Home (inc bonus tracks)

5. Nural - Entitlement

6. The Veer Union - Against The Grain

7. New Device - Takin' Over

8. Society Red - s/t

9. Halestorm - s/t

10. Evans Blue - s/t

[still trying to decide on Cavo, Pound, Vaeda & Joan Red.........]

cheers

Okay Glen, you're looking so lonely in this thread I thought I'd just throw out my very tentative current list after hearing a couple of newies. I should note that many of these have only had one spin and there is a lot of change to happen here... and I haven't heard Danger Danger's newie yet either. Anyway, here are the contenders for my top 15's in rough order (I can't believe this is still the year with Fallbrooke etc. :lol:):

MHR:

1 . Steel Panther - Feel the steel

2 . Place Vendome - Streets of fire

3 . Voices of Rock II - High and mighty

4 . Farcry - High gear

5 . Chris Laney - Pure

6 . Sunstorm - House of dreams

7 . House of Lords - Cartisan dreams

8 . Crash the System - The crowning

9 . Wildstreet - s/t

10 . Tango Down - Damage control

11 . Firenote - s/t

12 . Pistol Dawn - Conversation peice

13 . Hardcore Superstar - Beg for it

14 . The Poodles - Clash of the elements

15 . Bad Habit - Above and beyond

Modern:

1 . No Love Lost - s/t

2 . Fallbrooke - s/t

3 . Pillar - Confessions

4 . Skillet - Awake

5 . Daughtry - Leave this town

6 . Papa Roach - Metamorphosis

7 . Vaeda - Unsafe at any speed

8 . Cavo - Bright nights dark days

9 . Nural - Entitlement

10 . Burn Halo -s/t

11 . The Veer Union- Against the grain

12 . Halestorm- s/t

13 . Ghosts of Gloria - Voices from the redroom

14 . The Used - Artwork

15 . Kid Courageous - s/t

I can't believe All Time Low, Silverstein, A Day To Remember, Evans Blue, Madina Lake etc are all absent from that list (they round up the top 20).

Okay Glen, you're looking so lonely in this thread I thought I'd just throw out my very tentative current list after hearing a couple of newies. I should note that many of these have only had one spin and there is a lot of change to happen here... and I haven't heard Danger Danger's newie yet either. Anyway, here are the contenders for my top 15's in rough order (I can't believe this is still the year with Fallbrooke etc. :lol:):

MHR:

4 . Farcry - High gear

5 . Chris Laney - Pure

9 . Wildstreet - s/t

11 . Firenote - s/t

Modern:

1 . No Love Lost - s/t

2 . Fallbrooke - s/t

3 . Pillar - Confessions

4 . Skillet - Awake

9 . Nural - Entitlement

10 . Burn Halo -s/t

12 . Halestorm- s/t

14 . The Used - Artwork

I can't believe All Time Low, Silverstein, A Day To Remember, Evans Blue, Madina Lake etc are all absent from that list (they round up the top 20).

Have you heard Bai Bang yet??

I must admit an album shooting up my list is Halestorm...hated it, now love it.

Have you heard Bai Bang yet??

I must admit an album shooting up my list is Halestorm...hated it, now love it.

FYI:

MHR 15-20:

16 . Solna - Eurameric

17 . Covered Call - Money never sleeps

18 . Nasty Idols - Boys town

19 . Bai Bang - Are you ready?

20 . Steevi James- My private hell

What the hell did you hate about Halestorm?

i wasn't really sold on the new Nasty Idols.

Still hanging out to listen to Steevi Jaimz as most glam folks are putting this at #1.

Bai Bang, Hardcore Superstar, Johnny Lima are around the top for me.

...and with the new Bon Jovi album due before the end of the yeay, we'll see what happens there.

Still hanging out to listen to Steevi Jaimz as most glam folks are putting this at #1.

...and with the new Bon Jovi album due before the end of the yeay, we'll see what happens there.

If i like Bai Bang and Steevi Jaimz, will i like Nasty Idols??

Steevi Jaimz starts awesome, but drops off...

and i dont know how those albums can be behind Covered Call and Solna with Geoff... fool.

MHR:

4 . Farcry - High gear

5 . Chris Laney - Pure

9 . Wildstreet - s/t

11 . Firenote - s/t

Modern:

1 . No Love Lost - s/t

2 . Fallbrooke - s/t

3 . Pillar - Confessions

4 . Skillet - Awake

9 . Nural - Entitlement

10 . Burn Halo -s/t

12 . Halestorm- s/t

14 . The Used - Artwork

What I cant believe is the top 3 albums in your modern list. All contain some good songs admittedly, but overall are just average. Pillar in fact is pretty weak (bordering on plain nu-metal) once you take out tracks 4 & 5.

Skillet crucifies all 3 of them - that is for sure.

MHR:

4 . Farcry - High gear

5 . Chris Laney - Pure

9 . Wildstreet - s/t

11 . Firenote - s/t

Modern:

1 . No Love Lost - s/t

2 . Fallbrooke - s/t

3 . Pillar - Confessions

4 . Skillet - Awake

9 . Nural - Entitlement

10 . Burn Halo -s/t

12 . Halestorm- s/t

14 . The Used - Artwork

What I cant believe is the top 3 albums in your modern list. All contain some good songs admittedly, but overall are just average. Pillar in fact is pretty weak (bordering on plain nu-metal) once you take out tracks 4 & 5.

Skillet crucifies all 3 of them - that is for sure.

Come on dudes, give a brother a break. I did mention a lot of them were based on first spins and that it was tentative and open to a lot of change. Listening to Skillet again yesterday I have no doubt this one will climb, so keep your pants on. ;)

As for the top 3, I in no way see them as average. Fallbrooke I still see as so "fresh" and vibrant... imo the most consistent CD in that list. No Love Lost isn't flawless, but 3 songs on it are. And I think there are only 2 fillers. They're good odds. And Pillar? Well, I love it. :) Don't get a nu-metal vibe at all.

Mate, I think you're just a little too quick to write off "older" discs from earlier in the year and jump on the new stuff while it's fresh in your head. ;)

If i like Bai Bang and Steevi Jaimz, will i like Nasty Idols??

Steevi Jaimz starts awesome, but drops off...

and i dont know how those albums can be behind Covered Call and Solna with Geoff... fool.

To answer your first question, you should. Nasty Idols dips off in the middle a bit, but is never bad. Just solid, hard in your face rock n' roll. Steevi Jaimz is good but maybe just lacking the killer punch and Bai Bang is also good, but just missing a few killer tracks. All good discs.

I prefer Covered Call by all of 1/100th of a percentage to those ones... maybe just one more song I like off it. And same with Solna. There's one song that is better than anything off all 4 of those other discs and quite a few more good ones. All 5 albums are very close, but that's just my ranking at the moment.

Ball-breaking asswipes. ;)

Mate, I think you're just a little too quick to write off "older" discs from earlier in the year and jump on the new stuff while it's fresh in your head.

that's not true....no love lost is sitting at no 11 in my list.....however i listened to this again today and it should be a couple of places higher...but with Cavo, Pound and Vaeda etc it will probably end up sticking around no 11. One which I have neglected is Papa Roach....will definitely need to dig that out again, but im pretty convinced its not top 10 material. Havent heard 'The Used' either.........sounds interesting..i'll have to spotify that at the weekend.

The MHR will take a battering soon as well....caught a listen to HOL...like it a lot. Some filler, but also some killer hard rock on there. VOR II is pretty good as well....not as mad about it as you are tho. Looking forward to Gotthard and WET as well.

Turning out to be a good year after a slow start.

Right have followed Geoff's advice and re-listened to all the years earlier releases..........

MHR -

2. Danger Danger - Revolve

3. Crash The System - The Crowning

4. Place Vendome - Streets Of Fire

5. The Poodles - Clash Of The Elements

6. Farcry - High Gear

7. House Of Lords - Cartesian Dreams

8. Voices Of Rock - High & Mighty

9. Sunstorm - House Of Dreams

10. Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know

Modern

1. Skillet - Awake

2. Daughtry - Feels Like Home (inc bonus tracks)

3. New Device - Takin Over

4. Adelitas Way - s/t

5. Nural - Entitlement

6. The Veer Union - Against The Grain

7. Pound - Stardust, Lies & Holy Water

8. Halestorm - s/t

9. Cavo - Bright Nights Dark Days

10. No Love Lost - s/t

[decided to drop Hotspur cos as much as i love it, its not a rock album in the truest sense. Some great modern albums not made my top 10.......Papa Roach, Vaeda, Evans Blue, Society Red, Joan Red would probably be the next 5 (in that order)....all very good in their own right, but its been an excellent year for modern rock....wish I could say the same about MHR. WET might save the day with an exceptional album. Heard quite a bit of the Gotthard and first impressions are that it isnt as good as Lipservice or Dominoe Effect].

I really wanna hear that New Device CD. You dropped Hotspur 'cause it wasn't rock enough? Not sure about that one, mate. I put stuff like Forever the Sickest Kids, Boys Like Girls, Cute Is What We Aim For etc. in these lists all the time. If it's good, you should leave it there, mate. :) Definitely no less rock than a lot of the stuff we put in these lists. ;)

Must listen to Pound again. There was some great stuff on that one early on... dropped off a bit in the second half. This weekend saw a banquet of great new stuff too which I can't wait to hear. Most notably, I see Saosin have a new disc! Very excited about that one. I heard the first song and it looks to have taken off where the last one left off. :)