Johnny Lima "Livin' Out Loud"

hardrockhaven

The Chris Laney disc is better IMHO. I love this album though But I dig the more aggressive sound on the CL disc!

I'd have to agree, but 'Caught in the middle' is really, really awesome.

I think from first Impressions I would say I prefer this to Chris Laney.....and most other albums Ive heard so far this year.

I said the same based on my first impression. :)

• 2 weeks later...

After first spin I really like this - his best disc so far IMO. Though still a couple of fillers, and one outright shocker - "Wildflower" - which sounds like a SLAUGHTER b-side.

After first spin I really like this - his best disc so far IMO. Though still a couple of fillers, and one outright shocker - "Wildflower" - which sounds like a SLAUGHTER b-side.

Poison B side you mean......

There a few absolute killers on this album tho.

I should walk away but this type of nonsense needs to be addressed. Some facts:

1. I love Poison and Slaughter and I despise 'Wildflower'. If Poison or Slaughter ever recorded a song like that I would never have been a fan. That's all Lima's doing... don't try dragging good bands into that mess. ;)

2. Weakest Slaughter and Poison songs > best Lima has ever recorded. No offence to the dude as I like him and he has a handful of good songs... but not that good. :)

1. I love Poison and Slaughter and I despise 'Wildflower'. If Poison or Slaughter ever recorded a song like that I would never have been a fan. That's all Lima's doing... don't try dragging good bands into that mess. ;)

2. Weakest Slaughter and Poison songs > best Lima has ever recorded. No offence to the dude as I like him and he has a handful of good songs... but not that good. :)

I also like Poison and Slaughter and also like the tune "Wildflower".

Of course I'm not as passionate about the above bands as Geoff is I do think they get much more shit than they deserve. They both had great songs and have helped make the genre that we love what it is/was.

Of course I'm not as passionate about the above bands as Geoff is I do think they get much more shit than they deserve. They both had great songs and have helped make the genre that we love what it is/was.

The only thing I don't like about Wildflower is the drum fill into the chorus. When played at high volumes in my car, something in the fill sounds just like a rock hitting my car. Other than that I like the song, and the CD quite a lot and it still will roost somewhere in my Top 10 at years' end unless something magical happens. :P

Having lived with this one for a while now I still think it's probably his best disc so far, but is still only about a 7/10. It has no chance of making my top 10 as even the best songs just aren't that extraordinary. He still has that Bryan Adams/Stage Dolls kinda sound, but the songs are all pretty much the same tempo and the whole disc is good & solid but a little flat IMO. In fact it gets better after the half-way mark, but by that time you might have lost interest & put something else on instead...

Oh come on mate, even you cant say that the 'Wild Flower' chorus isnt akin to the Poison sound.

It sounds like a track which didnt make 'Open Up..............'

& for the record I actually quite like most of the Poison releases (esp 'Flesh & Blood) but just havent played them for ages.

Your point 2 is bollocks tho......im not even going to discuss that.

Oh come on mate, even you cant say that the 'Wild Flower' chorus isnt akin to the Poison sound.

Sorry mate. The 'Wild Flower' chorus isn't even remotely akin to the Poison sound.

Honestly, mate, you're talking about a song I hated instantly as soon as I heard the myspace sample compared to a band I have loved for more than a decade. I honestly hear no single resemblance at all. As I said, if I did I sure as hell would not be a fan of Poison. ;)

Sorry mate. The 'Wild Flower' chorus isn't even remotely akin to the Poison sound.

Honestly, mate, you're talking about a song I hated instantly as soon as I heard the myspace sample compared to a band I have loved for more than a decade. I honestly hear no single resemblance at all. As I said, if I did I sure as hell would not be a fan of Poison. ;)

Just to settle this debate once and for all, as you guys can't seem to agree....

1. The chorus of "Wild Flower" does sound like Poison (more so than Slaughter)

2. It is the worst song of 2009 so far

3. I've already heard at least 15 albums in 2009 that are better than this one

Just to settle this debate once and for all, as you guys can't seem to agree....

1. Well at least I know why you guys hate Poison so much now. You chaps have no freakn' clue what they sound like! :lol: Trust me. As an avid Poison fan, they do/did not make music that sounds like that shit.

2. I would probably agree with that.

3. I've updated my lists today and yesterday and I have this sitting at number 13 on my melodic HR list and I'd probably rate another 13 or 14 above it on my modern HR list. Which is sad, 'cause my first impression of this was great. But after a few more spins it just ends up sounding like his other discs. Which is good. Just not good enough to match it with the big boys, IMO.

The only thing I don't like about Wildflower is the drum fill into the chorus. When played at high volumes in my car, something in the fill sounds just like a rock hitting my car. Other than that I like the song, and the CD quite a lot and it still will roost somewhere in my Top 10 at years' end unless something magical happens. :P

Uh Pete I don't know how to tell you this but that sound of the drum fill is a rock hitting your car.

Sorry I'm just upset over you leaving Rockarma so I've been throwing rocks at your car. :lol:

1. Well at least I know why you guys hate Poison so much now. You chaps have no freakn' clue what they sound like! :lol: Trust me. As an avid Poison fan, they do/did not make music that sounds like that shit.

Right just to settle this, ive checked on 'Open Up.......' and here goes.

Chorus on 'Wild Flower' = exactly the same melody as 'Nothing But A Good Time'

If you cant hear the resemblance you are deaf.

A bit of a lie there mate!! Trust me as someone with good hearing.

Oh and this is shite aswell!!

You know, I can actually catch the resemblance for one line's worth of comparison. The line "Wiy-ald Flow-er" bears a slight resemblance to the line "Nothin', but a good time" - I'll give you that, barely. But what about the verses? What about the rest of the chorus where Poison actually go on to create a huge, fantastic and delicious chorus which was an anthem to millions, whereas Lima dwells on this one horrible line?

Sorry mate, I still just don't see it. One line in one song does not mean this shitty song sounds like Poison. :)

You know, I can actually catch the resemblance for one line's worth of comparison. The line "Wiy-ald Flow-er" bears a slight resemblance to the line "Nothin', but a good time" - I'll give you that, barely. But what about the verses? What about the rest of the chorus where Poison actually go on to create a huge, fantastic and delicious chorus which was an anthem to millions, whereas Lima dwells on this one horrible line?

Sorry mate, I still just don't see it. One line in one song does not mean this shitty song sounds like Poison. :)

That's why I called it a Poison b-side :tumbsup:

On first few listens I think it is nowhere near as good as "Made In Calfornia", even though its got more guitars and better production imo it aint got the songs.

Anyone else agree?

I dont think anyone will ;-) I liked the orignal s/t over version 1.2 or whatever it was called.

Anyway it's not that I dont like it, just slightly disappointed still Im going to have it on in the background and see if its a grower.

Ok, havent heard the album or bought it, but had to listen to the song Wildflower to see what the arguments are about.

Quite frankly I cannot hear Poison or Slaughter in the song at all (although as Geoff said, I can hear how the delivery of the Wildflower line sounds similar to Nothing but a good time).

If anything, I'd say the song sits somewhere between Bon Jovi and Leppard rather than Poison or Slaughter.

That said, I also didnt think it was that bad a song.

Nothing great, but ok, but this is why I have never ran out and bought any of his albums.

Every song I have heard by him sounds ok, but has never been enough for me to go "Wow, I need this CD!".

Ok, havent heard the album or bought it, but had to listen to the song Wildflower to see what the arguments are about.

Quite frankly I cannot hear Poison or Slaughter in the song at all (although as Geoff said, I can hear how the delivery of the Wildflower line sounds similar to Nothing but a good time).

If anything, I'd say the song sits somewhere between Bon Jovi and Leppard rather than Poison or Slaughter.

Thank You. :drink:

I hear no Poison or Slaughter on that tune either.

Plus it cracks me up how the thought a song sounding anything remotely close to Poison brings out the Poison haters.

Thank You. :drink:

I hear no Poison or Slaughter on that tune either.

Plus it cracks me up how the thought a song sounding anything remotely close to Poison brings out the Poison haters.

I'm always here mate :D

Can you change the word 'Hater' to 'Despiser' please.