Sirius and XM

Blue Charvel

A response I got as to what the future of the Boneyard (XM41) would be...

Thank you for contacting XM.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your e-mail.

I appreciate your question on Boneyard (previously channel 41). The channel will return to XM Channel 53 on January 15th, 2009 with all the hard classic rock you’ve been listening to including the Eddie Trunk show every Monday night. We are working to make sure that the new channel is something listeners of both Buzzsaw and Boneyard can love, and as always feedback like yours helps us make the channels the best they can be. In the meantime, some of the music heard on Boneyard can be found on Classic

Vinyl (Channel 46) and Classic Rewind (Channel 49).

Merging the two sets of music channels was a very difficult task, since so many people were passionate about each service and what they have been listening to for years. We did our best, based on customer surveys from both companies, to keep the channels that reached the most listeners and performed the best in overall satisfaction. And, in some cases, we actually blended the two channels combining the best personalities from SIRIUS and XM to create a new combined channel. Of course, we did have to say goodbye to a few formats to make room for new ones.

The best way to see what your choices are now is to go to www.SIRIUS.com or www.xmradio.com and download the new channel line-up. There are many new choices that you now have access to for no additional subscription fees. Please take the time to scroll through the dial and see what’s on. You find something you missed or something brand new that may become a favorite.

I also apologize for the repetition of the programming on Hair Nation (Channel 41). We appreciate your concerns and it will be reviewed by the Programming department. Thank you for being a loyal listener and we look forward to many more years of providing you with our service.

Thanks again for writing. I know change is tough and hopefully, you’ll still see the value in our service to continue as a subscriber.

Best regards,

Jon Zellner SVP Music Programming

Sirius XM Radio

If that's not bogus enough, here's the description from the website:

Hard and heavy classic rock for the masses with tons of exclusive music features, artist takeovers, and a whole lotta testosterone fueled energy!

What we play: AC/DC, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Rush, Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Jimi Hendrix, Iron Maiden.

Wow, great! So not only will Hair Nation be sucking ass as usual playing the most overplayed music from the 80's with ZERO new music, but Boneyard will do the same with 70's music... gee I can't fucking wait... to cancel my fucking subscription... <_<

Worst part is my car comes with it and it's a pretty awesome setup. :(

Any form of radio is a wasteland as far as I'm concerned. Seeing as radio programming is left up to someone sitting behind a desk, whose taste could not possibly be exactly the same as mine, I'd be stuck listening to a bunch of crap I have zero interest in. At home, it's Winamp, or the Windows Media Player with my own playlists. In the car, it's discs of new material I have an interest in listening to so I can discover gems I'm unfamiliar with. Another major reason I stopped listening to radio 25 years ago is the fact that I hated being subjected to mind-numbing commercials and the idiotic banter of on-air personalities. Classic radio is a joke - the goofs that program it would have you believe that an artist's sole contribution is nothing more than a handful of overplayed "hit singles", which get further overplayed until they become annoying. Mention Blue Oyster Cult to your average listener of classic radio and they'll inevitably say, "Oh, yeah. (Don't Fear) The Reaper." Ask them to name another song, and they'll likely stare at you blankly, completely oblivious to the fact they have roughly 150 other songs to choose from. Radio programmers would have people believe that an album consists of 1 song, which is mystifying why anyone would ignore album tracks that are, in many cases, much better than the pap the suits and ties determine are the best the artist has to offer. I seek out artists in genres that I like and give them a listen to see if it's worthy of being added to my playlists. If I relied on radio, those playlists would never expand. Radio = crap.

The only reason that I got (or my wife got it for me) Sirius in the first place was for the NFL games. I love hearing the Falcons hometown guys call the games. I do like (is it did like?) Buzzsaw. They play some rocking enough stuff that seems to keep most of my friends happy when getting together for some beers.

I hear ya Pete. Our new Honda Odyssey came with XM radio and it is a sweet set up. The best part though is its ability to play MP3 discs which will take the place of Hair Nation, etc. once my free subscription runs out. Cancel.

Never had any interest in the satellite-radio scene... though I understand your pain, Pete... a guy I knew in high school got into radio after we graduated and most recently had been doing a show on Sirius for the past couple of years...until Sirius and XM merged and started eliminating channels, so he's now out of a job. So I say screw'em too! :2up:

• 2023 Gold Donors
Please take the time to scroll through the dial and see what’s on. You find something you missed or something brand new that may become a favorite.

gee I can't fucking wait... to cancel my fucking subscription... <_<

Yeah..no kidding that sucks!,but remember to "please take the time to scroll through the dial and see whats on.You find something you missed or something brand new that may become your favorite". Idiots :hammer:

They fucked up the hard rock channels bad, that's for sure, but the classic country channel selection has me in seventh heaven so I guess it's a bit of a wash.

Please take the time to scroll through the dial and see what’s on. You find something you missed or something brand new that may become a favorite.

gee I can't fucking wait... to cancel my fucking subscription... <_<

Yeah..no kidding that sucks!,but remember to "please take the time to scroll through the dial and see whats on.You find something you missed or something brand new that may become your favorite". Idiots :hammer:

:lol: That's exactly what they suggested! Fucking bastards. :hammer:

but the classic country channel selection has me in seventh heaven

Were you drunk when you typed this?

:baneed:

:lol:

Worst part is I admit, I've been listening to some of those lately myself... :anon:

but the classic country channel selection has me in seventh heaven

Were you drunk when you typed this?

:baneed:

:lol:

LOL! If I'm listening to classic country I'm either getting drunk or am already drunk. :chug:

Any form of radio is a wasteland as far as I'm concerned. Seeing as radio programming is left up to someone sitting behind a desk, whose taste could not possibly be exactly the same as mine, I'd be stuck listening to a bunch of crap I have zero interest in. At home, it's Winamp, or the Windows Media Player with my own playlists. In the car, it's discs of new material I have an interest in listening to so I can discover gems I'm unfamiliar with. Another major reason I stopped listening to radio 25 years ago is the fact that I hated being subjected to mind-numbing commercials and the idiotic banter of on-air personalities. Classic radio is a joke - the goofs that program it would have you believe that an artist's sole contribution is nothing more than a handful of overplayed "hit singles", which get further overplayed until they become annoying. Mention Blue Oyster Cult to your average listener of classic radio and they'll inevitably say, "Oh, yeah. (Don't Fear) The Reaper." Ask them to name another song, and they'll likely stare at you blankly, completely oblivious to the fact they have roughly 150 other songs to choose from. Radio programmers would have people believe that an album consists of 1 song, which is mystifying why anyone would ignore album tracks that are, in many cases, much better than the pap the suits and ties determine are the best the artist has to offer. I seek out artists in genres that I like and give them a listen to see if it's worthy of being added to my playlists. If I relied on radio, those playlists would never expand. Radio = crap.

Well put Bro!!!! :drink:

• 4 weeks later...

called and canceled one of my XM radio's today, you'd thought I had asked them for a million dollars with all the attempts to make me keep it active. should have told them they took boneyard off because it is now Sirius XM radio and they wouldn't keep Boenyard but yet I'd have to pay to the NFL on the radio. I thought it was now one company now, I shouldn't have to pay for the NFL channels. anyway, just was very irritated with the process.

>> called and canceled one of my XM radio's today, you'd thought I had asked them for a million dollars with all the attempts to make me keep it active. should have told them they took boneyard off because it is now Sirius XM radio and they wouldn't keep Boenyard but yet I'd have to pay to the NFL on the radio. I thought it was now one company now, I shouldn't have to pay for the NFL channels. anyway, just was very irritated with the process. <<

Oh, and wasn't that a FUN process??? You only had to speak to one person?? We had to put up with two of those assholes ... and they were brutal. Had to jump through hoop after hoop and when it was finally all said and done it still took a week or so to disconnect us.

At first we were told we couldn't actually speak to a live person, it all had to be done via eMail. Yeah, that didn't sit too well. LOL

nope, had to talk to 2 also. FUN FUN FUN

Agreed! Fucking asswipes, fuck them and their shitty lowest common denominator programming methodology. I hope they fucking tank. If I wanted the same old crap, I'd just stick with FM. <_<

• My Little Pony

In the meantime, I only just discovered Live365 a week ago. I was looking at the main site and saw it in the corner. Wowaweewoo! Heavy Harmonies Radio! Not sure if I wanna subscribe to it, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Some good news if you still subscibe to XM/Sirius. The Boneyard is back!!! Channel 53, I believe. So now we have both Hair Nation and The Boneyard. From what I've heard so far on the radio, The Boneyard is pretty much what it was before it left a few months ago.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

My new car came with a 3 month free trial of XM radio. I got a call this morning and I signed up for the special they are running. After the trial it's $6.99 a month for 3 months. I also signed up for another package thing that's $2.99. Not 100% sure what it is because it was hard to understand what the woman was saying. I hope it includes Stern and Playboy. It's highly unlikely though. After the 3 months at $6.99 it's supposed to jump to $9.70 a month for, I believe, 3 months. I should be able to tell if I like satellite radio well before the 3 month free trial is up. If I like it I'll most likely keep it for the 3 months at $6.99. Whenever the service goes up to full price I'll most likely disconnect it. It's hard to justify paying the price they charge for a service I can only use in my car.

My new car came with a 3 month free trial of XM radio. I got a call this morning and I signed up for the special they are running. After the trial it's $6.99 a month for 3 months. I also signed up for another package thing that's $2.99. Not 100% sure what it is because it was hard to understand what the woman was saying. I hope it includes Stern and Playboy. It's highly unlikely though. After the 3 months at $6.99 it's supposed to jump to $9.70 a month for, I believe, 3 months. I should be able to tell if I like satellite radio well before the 3 month free trial is up. If I like it I'll most likely keep it for the 3 months at $6.99. Whenever the service goes up to full price I'll most likely disconnect it. It's hard to justify paying the price they charge for a service I can only use in my car.

I'll let you in on a little secret. When they try to get you to continue your subscription after the trial, tell them you aren't interested. To keep you on as a customer they will give you a lower rate. They have done that to me twice and instead of the $9.99 they wanted to charge me to continue they gave me a year at $6.99/month. The $2.99 you are paying for is probably the "Best Of" Sirius which doesn't include a whole lot more than what you are already getting.

I've heard they've started playing new music on Haur Nation and/or Boneyard finally, any truth to that from what you've heard Rick?

New music as in new bands or just new songs from 80's bands added to their rotation? I listen to Hair Nation when I've got the satellite radio on, but I haven't heard anything new by new bands. And they still play the absolute shit outta Ozzy. Not sure what that station's fascination is with him but they play one of his songs every 10th song I swear.