What's a spinnin' in your CD player?

Hey Tim (2), would you also suggest avoiding the back-catalogue for Killswitch Engage, or do you like them all? I was spinning 'As Daylight Dies' this morning and I did like it, but it didn't differ as much, for me, as I'd hoped it would from their previous releases. Still A LOT of screaming. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the disc, actually prefer it to the Trivium one... but there's so much screaming, so many tempo changes and everything "complex". Some of the sections in the songs were amazing, but it's such a mixed bag. I'm not sure I like the dude's singing voice either. I really pity the main guy's voice box.

KsE's last album "The End of Heartache" was a great one too (the title-track is huge), but "Daylight..." is their best IMO. I'm guessing you like "My Curse" & "Arms of Sorrow" the best? Great melodic tunes, almost ballads. I just love the melodic side of Howard Jones' voice, & how they mix up the melodic lines then the crushing guitars. DIECAST are another similar band who mix the melody with the power, but are probably less technical & may suit your tastes more.

On this mornings work-commute:-

JON OLIVAs PAIN - Manical Renderings

TRIVIUM - Ascendancy (good tunes, but those vocals... :blink: )

Hey Tim, I'll check out Diecast when I can. I did like the 2 almost-ballads, but I liked the other stuff also. There was some great heavy stuff on it, but as I say... such a mixed bag. I'd just hear this passage I adored and as quick as it came, it left. I'll listen to it a few more times and maybe even dig out their other CDs too. I meant to do that back when I saw them live a year ago, because as I've said many times before... even though I don't dig the screaming they were f*cking brilliant live.

Anyway I'm spinning:

Roxus - 'Rocked us'

Damone - 'Out here all night'

George Lynch - 'Lost Anthology' (sadly :()

what Roxus is that Geoff? a boot?

Not sure mate, just downloaded it the other day. I'd say a boot for sure. It's got a couple of unreleased songs, but pretty much the tracks from the EP and a few live/demo versions of 'Stand Back', 'Bad Boys' etc. I always love hearing Roxus anyway, but this ain't essential at all. I wish someone would release that 2nd album they apparently recorded. I remember about 3 years ago on melodicrock.com there was word that it was finally going to be released. I'd go on the record as saying I bet that's the single best unreleased album ever recorded.

Not sure mate, just downloaded it the other day. I'd say a boot for sure. It's got a couple of unreleased songs, but pretty much the tracks from the EP and a few live/demo versions of 'Stand Back', 'Bad Boys' etc. I always love hearing Roxus anyway, but this ain't essential at all. I wish someone would release that 2nd album they apparently recorded. I remember about 3 years ago on melodicrock.com there was word that it was finally going to be released. I'd go on the record as saying I bet that's the single best unreleased album ever recorded.

oo big call... but i may agree. :) i was actually talking to someone who knew the abnd and heard the songs, and rekons they were better then the debut.

though noone in australia would actually care if it did.

its a pity the song "body heat" was only live on that ep, it was released as studio on a 7inch single. awesome song!

anyway back on topic i intend to listen to Damone soon, and i listened to Lovex whilst i slept last night :)

Have just ordered a copy of the Damone disc after hearing a few tracks - sounds really good and I look forward to hearing the rest

Neal Schon - Beyond The Thunder

Some nice easy listening before Myself and Cliff retire for the evening!!! Yuk yuk

oo big call... but i may agree. :) i was actually talking to someone who knew the abnd and heard the songs, and rekons they were better then the debut.

though noone in australia would actually care if it did.

its a pity the song "body heat" was only live on that ep, it was released as studio on a 7inch single. awesome song!

anyway back on topic i intend to listen to Damone soon, and i listened to Lovex whilst i slept last night :)

I've also heard people say the 2nd album was better than the first. How the hell could that be possible? They would literally have to be the best songs ever recorded. :P I just wish this would be released... or that I could at least hear these songs. Anyone here every heard them? I'm taking up this thread's space... will start a new one now.

Yesterday got through lots,

Funny Money - Stick It (Dave ... will get the cover to you...totally forgot with all this car hassle)

Cerafim - Sides of a Different Kind (Jez ... will get a copy to you...totally forgot with all this car hassle) :P

Zero - s/t

Faces on Mars - s/t

Mark Spiro - Now is Then, Then is Now

Kansas - Monolith

Adam Bomb - New York Times

Rush - Hold Your Fire

Chrissy Steele - Magnet To Steele

Darby Mills & The Unsung Heroes - Never Look Back

Kip Winger - Thisconversationseemslikeadream

Balance II - S/T

Zeno - S/T

Now:

Roxus - 'Nightstreet' ; 'First break of the heart'

On the way home today:

Leverage - 'Tides' ; HEAPS better than I thought it was. It's actually a pretty damn good disc.

Nothin' yet -- my son's still sleepin'

How is that? Always been a little curious... the guy can write a song IMHO, regardless of genre.

Pete - I Love it, Geoff hates it and I think TIM(2) doesn't like it much either. Nothing like the Winger stuff and very varied throughout. I hear bits of Peter Gabriel, Sting, Floyd even King Crimson maybe in places, but as you say, he can write a good song and there are plenty here. I love songs like 'Monster' 'Angel Of The Underground' ' Daniel' and 'Don't Let Go'. Not for everyone, but if your open minded enough I would give it a good go. :drink:

How is that? Always been a little curious... the guy can write a song IMHO, regardless of genre.

Pete - I Love it, Geoff hates it and I think TIM(2) doesn't like it much either. Nothing like the Winger stuff and very varied throughout. I hear bits of Peter Gabriel, Sting, Floyd even King Crimson maybe in places, but as you say, he can write a good song and there are plenty here. I love songs like 'Monster' 'Angel Of The Underground' ' Daniel' and 'Don't Let Go'. Not for everyone, but if your open minded enough I would give it a good go. :drink:

Sounds good based on that, I will give it a look, thanks Jez. :drink:

Now:

Roxus - 'Nightstreet' ; 'First break of the heart'

On the way home today:

Leverage - 'Tides' ; HEAPS better than I thought it was. It's actually a pretty damn good disc.

I was playing LEVERAGE on my commute in this morning but hadn't had time to post it here. Is one of those rare discs that is better towards the end than at the start. It lacks a real killer track, & a few bigger hooks in the chorus department, but I love "Gone"...

Next Up:-

CHILDREN OF BODOM - Hate Crew DeathRoll

Wolfmother - S/T

Listened to this in the car while running some errands; not really my thang, although I thought it was hilarious when my four year old asked me "Daddy, why do you keep playing the same song again and again and again?"... because that's exactly how the album sounds!!!