Soundtrack - Days Of Thunder

Soundtrack - Cobra

Soundtrack - Over The Top

Journey - Raised On Radio

Journey - Trial By Fire

Journey - Generations

Journey - Arrival

Journey - Revelation (Disc 1)

I'm planning to find and comment in a Journey thread after I've finished their discography (from 1981, for me, anyway) but it looks like that means I'll have to sit down and listen to 'Eclipse.' :(

Anyway, it's an odd discography. 'Generations' is awful, and 'Revelation' is easily their best album, imo. I think the biggest fall from grace I've seen is that 'Frontiers' album. Great first half, but the 2nd half is more or less unlistenable. It is sooo bad. Is this widely considered the biggest two halved album in history, or is there a movement for people who are kidding themselves into thinking that the 2nd half is something else than a complete trainwreck?

Journey - Trial By Fire
Journey - Generations
Journey - Arrival
I'm planning to find and comment in a Journey thread after I've finished their discography (from 1981, for me, anyway) but it looks like that means I'll have to sit down and listen to 'Eclipse.' :(
Anyway, it's an odd discography. 'Generations' is awful, and 'Revelation' is easily their best album, imo. I think the biggest fall from grace I've seen is that 'Frontiers' album. Great first half, but the 2nd half is more or less unlistenable. It is sooo bad. Is this widely considered the biggest two halved album in history, or is there a movement for people who are kidding themselves into thinking that the 2nd half is something else than a complete trainwreck?

Well, I guess it depends on what version you are relating to.

My copy is the re-issued Frontiers with Ask The Lonely and Only The Young as tracks 11 & 12. Many argue that this album should always have been in this format.

But I guess if you look at the original 10 track album only 'Back Talk' and 'Frontiers' are weak. I personally really like 'Rubicon', love 'Troubled Child' and absolutely firmly believe that 'Edge of the Blade' is one of my favourite Journey songs.

In any case the second half hardly matters when every song on the first half is a bona fide classic ;-)

As a very quick 'off the top of my head' rating I would go as follows -

1. 10

2. 10

3. 9.5

4. 9.5

5. 10

6. 9.5

7. 8.5

8. 5

9. 6

10. 8 = 86%

[include Ask The Lonely and Only The Young and you are closer to 90%].

Great album.

As for the greatest fall from grace from first half to second half there are far far worse than Frontiers - the classic which I always quote is -

Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind [first half is arguably their finest 30 minutes - 2nd half is dog shit]

Thank you for listening ;-)

Journey - Trial By Fire
Journey - Generations
Journey - Arrival

Well, I guess it depends on what version you are relating to.

My copy is the re-issued Frontiers with Ask The Lonely and Only The Young as tracks 11 & 12. Many argue that this album should always have been in this format.

But I guess if you look at the original 10 track album only 'Back Talk' and 'Frontiers' are weak. I personally really like 'Rubicon', love 'Troubled Child' and absolutely firmly believe that 'Edge of the Blade' is one of my favourite Journey songs.

In any case the second half hardly matters when every song on the first half is a bona fide classic ;-)

As a very quick 'off the top of my head' rating I would go as follows -

1. 10

2. 10

3. 9.5

4. 9.5

5. 10

6. 9.5

7. 8.5

8. 5

9. 6

10. 8 = 86%

[include Ask The Lonely and Only The Young and you are closer to 90%].

Great album.

As for the greatest fall from grace from first half to second half there are far far worse than Frontiers - the classic which I always quote is -

Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind [first half is arguably their finest 30 minutes - 2nd half is dog shit]

Yeah, I only have the 10 track version. I heard the re-recorded version of 'Only the Young' on disc 2 of 'Revelation' and it sounds like a pretty cool track.

Haha, my 'Frontiers' rating is slightly different to yours... just sightly. ;)

1. Separate Ways - 7.75 (I wonder if this song is what gave Jack Ponti the inspiration to write every single song he ever wrote in his career, with that type of chanty chorus that because Ponti's [annoying] trademark in the late 80's and early 90s)
2. Send Her My Love - 9
3. Chain Reaction - 7
4. After The Fall - 8.25
5. Faithfully - - 9
6. Edge Of The Blade - 7.25
7. Troubled Child - 6.5
8. Back Talk - 5
9. Frontiers - 4
10. Rubicon - 4
- Total - 68%
Funnily enough, we both have a 6 and an 8 in our final score... they're just switched around. I admit that you could argue the album is still a keeper based on the stronger songs, but jeez I find it distressing when there is such a big difference between a band's worst and best songs.
You look at those later albums and there are sooo many songs they could have left out. Just dreary ballad after dreary ballad. They should never have recorded an album longer than 10 tracks, and as 'Revelations' shows very clearly, they should have kept it uptempo for the most part and steered clear of so many ballads.
I don't really mind Journey as a whole, and kind of underestimated just how good Steve Perry's vocals actually were... but I dunno. They're an extremely inconsistent band and I guess that's why I always thought, and still do think, they are so massively over-rated. If their albums since 1996 were all 10 tracks, discarding 5 ballads from them all, I'd like them a lot better.

Mmm not too sure many fans of this genre would rate Frontiers 68% but to each their own.

Separate always has been and remains one of my fav songs - exactly what i look for in melodic rock.

I've owned and sold all my journey albums, all if them up to Augeri I think. So I see what Geoff is on about. However I love my double CD best of.

That said I think there are only a handful of truly great or 10/10 songs and journey have a few including Separate Ways. Great track!

I've owned and sold all my journey albums, all if them up to Augeri I think. So I see what Geoff is on about. However I love my double CD best of.

That said I think there are only a handful of truly great or 10/10 songs and journey have a few including Separate Ways. Great track!

I obviously still own all mine but in fairness i rarely listen to anything after ROR.

I think people (besides Glen) are seriously forgetting the mighty quartet of 'Infinity' 'Departure' 'Evolution' and the sensational 'Escape' . Inconsistent and over rated? I really really don't think so.

Back on topic

Heart - Live In Portland '89

UFO - A Conspiracy Of Stars

Hm ... 'dog shit'? When the second half has 'The Trooper' and 'Still Life'? Okay, after THAT it all goes a bit tits up ... ;)

I think people (besides Glen) are seriously forgetting the mighty quartet of 'Infinity' 'Departure' 'Evolution' and the sensational 'Escape' . Inconsistent and over rated? I really really don't think so.

Geoffs always disliked Journey. To each their own i guess.

Hm ... 'dog shit'? When the second half has 'The Trooper' and 'Still Life'? Okay, after THAT it all goes a bit tits up ... ;)

To me the second half is the last 4 songs.

To me the second half is the last 4 songs.

If you'd said the last THREE songs, then we'd agree ... we were so close! ;)

Toronto - Head On :masturbanana:

J. R. Blackmore Group - Still Holding On

Julian Angel - www.angel-rock.com

Juliet - Juliet

Julliet - Julliet

Julliet - Passion

Junebug - Ticket To Hell

Kaizoku - Kaizoku

Vinnie Kay - Where Do We Go From Here

Blackeyed Susan - Just A Taste

Blackjack Bomber - Blackjack Bomber

Blackstone - Blackstone

Blackwood Creek - Blackwood Creek

Blaz On - In Our Free Time

What do you think of the Blackeyed Susan Geoff? I read online that the singer had a different band after Britny Fox so when I saw the album at a store naturally I picked it up. You can imagine my surprise when I played it at home... horrible!! :D