Song of the Day

66 mustang

• 2023 Gold Donors

I've noticed recently that the "Classic" Rock radio station here in Melbourne has been playing this as their "go to" Roxette song for a while now. You get used to hearing all the classic Roxette tunes on the radio, but not necessarily this one. An absolute corker of a track. Definitely one of, if not the best Roxette track.

• 2023 Gold Donors

I heard this new track from Australian Indigenous artist Scott Darlow, featuring Ian Kenny from Aussie band "Birds of Tokyo" on the radio this morning. Politics and ideologies aside, it's a great track. 

• 2023 Gold Donors

Been listening to the "Icon" albums in the car today. Where do you even begin to select a song to post? I went with this one, but as I've said before about other albums, I really could've thrown a dart at this one.  

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

A great Aussie AOR track from a masterpiece of an Australian AOR album. "Icehouse", which is basically the Iva Davies project, is responsible for some of the most Quintessential Australian songs ever. These guys have a ridiculously good discography. A huge part of my musical memories and pure class.

12 hours ago, Darkstone said:

A great Aussie AOR track from a masterpiece of an Australian AOR album. "Icehouse", which is basically the Iva Davies project, is responsible for some of the most Quintessential Australian songs ever. These guys have a ridiculously good discography. A huge part of my musical memories and pure class.

I wished I had a mullet that Iva had, makes John Farnham's tame

What I am going through at the " Lesson Of Love " - Saints & Sinners.

• 2023 Gold Donors

I can remember watching the 1986 movie "A Fine Mess", Starring Ted Danson and Howie Mandel on VHS not long after it was released. I loved this song from the soundtrack as soon as I heard it. I was pleasantly surprised when Mr. Mister appeared in the credits. Although it's not the most well known of movies, If the guys at "At The Movies" ever delve back into the 80's, then this would be a perfect candidate.

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, kourosofsteel3 said:

183 days till Xmas and still Harem Scarem is my all time favorite lp!

But this is the "Song of the Day" thread. 

Also, which album?

Was listening to my Pop Evil mix today up really load in the car and this one came on.
Love the clip, and the song was amazing live.
Hooks, heavy melodies, but most here will likely brand modern rock and dismiss it.
Play it loud and get into it :)

• 2023 Gold Donors

I remember hearing the many renditions of "Dueling Banjos" when I was little. They really used to shred back in the old days. This is a great scene that will send shivers down the spine of anyone who has seen the movie. Although, I believe that Cody and Geoff consider this film as a Romantic/Adventure movie.

• 2023 Gold Donors

I was going to post this in the "Best track that wasn't a single" thread, but upon further research I've discovered that it was in fact released as a single. It reached the dizzying position of #93 in the US charts. It managed to get to #2 in Ireland, so good on them. Easily my favorite from a stellar/legendary album.

• 2023 Gold Donors

I was catching up on some female fronted stuff today and as I've always said, I'm a big fan of the female front. This is from 2013, so it's not new, but these chicks rock. There's something about them that's very sexy and very scary at the same time. I reckon that lead guitarists' clit is bigger than my cock. Great name BTW. It reminds me of the "thunder cunt" line from "Blade - Trinity".

• 2023 Gold Donors

I've always loved these guys. Listening to them today, I had to post these five tracks. I've always thought they were very underrated. I posted the AC/DC track for your consideration. Listen to it after "Wild Flower".

• 2023 Gold Donors

Here's two great, very iconic old school Aussie tracks that I have a connection with. My first job when leaving school at 16 was as a storeman for a stationery company. The other storeman was a guy named Robert "Huk" Treloar. He was a drummer and member of "Blackfeather" in 1978. This track from 1972 is their only hit. I remember him telling me, when they used to play clubs that this track was on the setlist about four times. He was also a member of "The Little Heroes" in 1982. That's actually him playing drums on the single. Again, as with Tommy Vucur from "Vanishing Point" who is a commercial painter that I work with now, it amazes me how these guys go back to being "normal people" and how hard it is to actually "make it" in the industry.

Edited by Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors
On 6/29/2020 at 8:16 PM, CureTheSane said:

Was listening to my Pop Evil mix today up really load in the car and this one came on.
Love the clip, and the song was amazing live.
Hooks, heavy melodies, but most here will likely brand modern rock and dismiss it.
Play it loud and get into it :)

Yeah, that's great stuff. I have all the "Pop Evil" albums and I like everything I've heard (Boss's Daughter is one of my favourite ever songs), but it's all about finding the time to get into them. You seem to be the resident "Pop Evil" expert, so hit me with five tracks that will blow me away! 

BTW, I've posted this clip before and I think you may have as well  but it never gets old.

OK, I'll skip the twp above, two of the best.

100 In A 55 - old school-ish rock
Torn To Pieces - a song Leigh wrote as a trbute to his father, probably their best ballad, along with Purple
Beautiful - like many of their songs this is more on the uplifting side, rather than the usual depressing love lost type song.
Footsteps - this one takes a few listens to totally get and get into, but it's worth it. Play it loud, so the beat echos through your chest. Another positive song.
Be Legendary - off their most recent album, possibly written about me :)

• 2023 Gold Donors
17 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

OK, I'll skip the twp above, two of the best.

100 In A 55 - old school-ish rock
Torn To Pieces - a song Leigh wrote as a trbute to his father, probably their best ballad, along with Purple
Beautiful - like many of their songs this is more on the uplifting side, rather than the usual depressing love lost type song.
Footsteps - this one takes a few listens to totally get and get into, but it's worth it. Play it loud, so the beat echos through your chest. Another positive song.
Be Legendary - off their most recent album, possibly written about me :)

Thanks mate. All good stuff. I have to make more of an effort with these guys. This one caught my ear today.

"Let the Angels fall from the Sun" Nice.

Edited by Darkstone

If you like that, then this was off their latest album.
Took me a while to get into it, very Rage against The Machine and the like.
I love how the secong haf of the song compliments the first half while being very different.
Would be a good one live.

• 2023 Gold Donors

This song seems to be "flavor of the month " on youtube reaction videos lately. Rightly deserved, as it is timeless. Here's three versions and I guess they're all covers. The first is the one you're all familiar with from 1977, the second is an Aussie rendition from 2004 and the third is from 1933! I'm sure however, that it was around alot longer than that. Surprised it hasn't been banned TBH.

• 2023 Gold Donors

B.O.C. from 1981. I really love this track. I think I prefer it to "Reaper". When I was younger I was always a bit put off by this band and never really gave them a go thanks to the "Police Academy" movies. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. 

• 2023 Gold Donors

Back in the late 70s and early 80s, Britain and subsequently Australia went through a "Rockabilly" phase with acts like "Shakin' Stevens", "The Stray Cats", etc. I can distinctly remember how popular this song was down here. Just a one hit wonder/flash in the pan. I can remember seeing a clip at the time, but I'm not sure if this is it. I am sure however, that they used the same image and symbolism. Harmless of course back then, but now these guys would possibly be facing hate crime charges.

Edited by Darkstone