First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Stryper - Murder By Pride

Did they pay someone to produce this? It sounds like it was converted from some previously unused cassette recordings. The high end sounds all swishy and magnetized. Seriously I can't even listen to this. :(

I thought you were liking this one?

So it sounds that bad huh, that isn't good especially after how most of their fans didn't like Reborn much.

Sounds like there are some decent songs on this from when I listened to a bit of it on my PC in the office, but when I put it in the car and cranked it up a bit I heard just how horrendous the production was... unlistenable, and I'm usually okay with sub-par production, but this is really bad to my ears. :(

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they pay someone to produce this? It sounds like it was converted from some previously unused cassette recordings. The high end sounds all swishy and magnetized. Seriously I can't even listen to this. :(

So it sounds that bad huh, that isn't good especially after how most of their fans didn't like Reborn much.

Sounds like there are some decent songs on this from when I listened to a bit of it on my PC in the office, but when I put it in the car and cranked it up a bit I heard just how horrendous the production was... unlistenable, and I'm usually okay with sub-par production, but this is really bad to my ears. :(

I can handle bad production from these bands that are getting their demos reisssued or at least issued for the first time since they are in fact demos but in this age with all of the recording technology that's out there there is no reason for a band to have bad production IMO.

I can handle bad production from these bands that are getting their demos reisssued or at least issued for the first time since they are in fact demos but in this age with all of the recording technology that's out there there is no reason for a band to have bad production IMO.

Exactly, and that's what this sounds like, an unproduced demo, it's Stryper for god's sake, wtf? :(

Megadeth - ENDGAME

Two word review: F*CK YEAH! :guitar::beerbang::banger:

Ace Frehley - Anomaly

Got the album today and it's great stuff and has the vibe of Ace's 78' solo album.

If you love that album or just 70's Kiss then pick this up.

This does have some of the most original packaging I've ever seen but due to that could cause some problems if it gets damaged since it's not a jewel case.

My fav songs so far are "Foxy and Free", "Outerspace", "Pain in the Neck"(great solo), "Fox on the Run"(yes the Sweet cover), "Too Many Faces", "Change the World" and "Sister"(yes this is the same song that's been around in the Freheley's Comet archives for years). There's also 3 real good instrumentals in "Fractured Quantum"(the fourth installment in this series), "Space Bear" and "Ghengis Kahn"(which has a few vocal lines but is mostly just instrumental). There's also a couple of more laid back tunes in "A Little Below the Angels"(which has the same child like backing vocals that the Comet song "Dolls" had and this song also has some vocals from Ace's daughter Monique who if you remember sang backing vocals on "Dolls" when she was a kid) and "It's a Great Life". All in all a good disc and well worth the wait to hear a full disc of new Ace material with him playing great and singing lead on all of the songs and sounding great vocally as well.

Rugged Edge - ECLIPSE OF FIRE

Jon (aka &then) sent me this disc out of the blue the other day. I had never heard of them and I can find next to no info about the band or the album on the net (they're not even in the mighty H.H. database!) About all I can tell ya is that these guys hailed from Florida and this disc apparently was self released by the band around 1989. Basically they're a hard rock band, but a somewhat confused sounding one at times. Either these guys were trying to be all things to all people or they just couldn't pick a style and stick with it. Some songs are somewhat NWOBHM-ish (owing mostly to the Paul Di'Anno soundalike vocalist), a couple have a punk sound (one track is a pretty blatant riff steal from Suicidal Tendencies' "I Saw Your Mommy," or at least it sounds that way to me) and the rest are pretty generic cock rock. (They actually have a song called "Hot Sex" for Chrissake... hahahaha!!)

An interesting little indie and one that merits further investigation. Seriously, has ANYONE out there heard of this band? When I Google the band name/album title all that I find is a download of it at a Blogspot devoted to unsigned Florida bands of days gone by (yes, Virginia, it's official, every piece of music ever recorded IS stored on Rapidshare...hahaha), and even that site has very scanty info.

Whoever Rugged Edge are/were, they're obscure as hell, that's for sure. Big ups to Jon for sending this one my way and sending my trivia-geek OCD into overdrive.

• 2023 Gold Donors

U.D.O. - Dominator

-_- .zzzzzzz......

Other than a tune on this called 'Black And White' (that has a serious 'Accept' groove) completely monotonous.Udo is fine,but the band is sterile-no life.Weak songs.Looking forward to the new Accept' stuff with Mark Tornillo on vox...

Looking forward to the new Accept' stuff with Mark Tornillo on vox...

Me too! :banger:

They were in studio-rehearsing and writing...i think up there in the NJ area or close to. B)

Yeah, Peter's in the Trenton/Princeton area if I'm not mistaken, which is where I work. He said everything's written and they've got the recording studio booked as of a few days ago. :)

They were in studio-rehearsing and writing...i think up there in the NJ area or close to. B)

Yeah, Peter's in the Trenton/Princeton area if I'm not mistaken, which is where I work. He said everything's written and they've got the recording studio booked as of a few days ago. :)

You should go by the studio and see if they'll let you lay a solo down for the new disc. :headbanger:

Megadeth - Endgame

This disc just like the last two have gotten the hype of the "return to form" sound for Megadeth but where the last two have gotten more hype of a "Countdown meets Rust in Peace" sound this one seems to be going for pure "Rust in Peace" sound and for the most part it suceeds. I'm not going to say it should be mentioned a long with that classic release but I will say it's thrashy and kicks ass and the riffs and solos from Dave and new guitar player Chris Broderick(Jag Panzer :bowdown: ) are awesome. However after just one spin I don't know if it's as good as the last disc "United Abominations" or not and not sure if there's as many "great" songs as that disc had but I guess after a few more spins time will tell. :headbanger:

You should go by the studio and see if they'll let you lay a solo down for the new disc. :headbanger:

:lol: Yeah, I'm sure Wolf won't mind...

Megadeth - Endgame

This disc just like the last two have gotten the hype of the "return to form" sound for Megadeth but where the last two have gotten more hype of a "Countdown meets Rust in Peace" sound this one seems to be going for pure "Rust in Peace" sound and for the most part it suceeds. I'm not going to say it should be mentioned a long with that classic release but I will say it's thrashy and kicks ass and the riffs and solos from Dave and new guitar player Chris Broderick(Jag Panzer :bowdown: ) are awesome. However after just one spin I don't know if it's as good as the last disc "United Abominations" or not and not sure if there's as many "great" songs as that disc had but I guess after a few more spins time will tell. :headbanger:

UA's gonna be pretty tough to beat for me.

:lol: Yeah, I'm sure Wolf won't mind...

You just walk in and say "Don't you know who I am?" :lol:

Megadeth - Endgame

UA's gonna be pretty tough to beat for me.

I'm going to need to listen to them back to back to really tell but so far their close but I think UA is better but damn Chris Broderick kicks so much ass. :banger:

MUDVAYNE: "A New Game"

Before this album, I would have rather dunked my dick in a vat of boiling oil than listen to Mudvayne, but this time around the band finally delivered the goods, merging their aggressiveness with commercial sensibilities. Some rabid fans are accusing the band of selling out, but I don't know what they're listening to, 'cause this ain't exactly Nickelback; the harsh (but not screaming) vocals are still present, the guitars pummel with their power, and the overall vibe is one of heaviness...just with some radio-ready hooks intact. This isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea on these boards, but for those who appreciate heavier modern rock, this new and improved Mudvayne is well worth a listen.

Europe............S/T...............okay but it really needs decent production much like 'Wings of destiny'.....

I love the more Melodic Metal sound they had on their first two discs but I agree the production was lacking but "Wings of Tomorrow" is better.

Europe............S/T...............okay but it really needs decent production much like 'Wings of destiny'.....

I love the more Melodic Metal sound they had on their first two discs but I agree the production was lacking but "Wings of Tomorrow" is better.

Damnit I meant 'Wings Of Tomorrow'.......WOT needed better production as well but I agree it was better....but 'the next 3 releases are definitely their best....

Damnit I meant 'Wings Of Tomorrow'.......WOT needed better production as well but I agree it was better....but 'the next 3 releases are definitely their best....

I love the next 3 as well with Prisoners being my fav of those but there's something about their early more Metal sound that I love as well.