First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Cains Offering - Gather The Faithful

Sounds nice. Not overly great, but nice. Prob better then the latest Stratovarius.

Impellitteri- Wicked Maiden

Rob's back, but still theres not much here that grabs me :(

Sunstorm - House of dreams

Nope, sorry, still dont think this compares to the debut.

Tango Down - Damage Control

This sounds cool, nice production, vocals dont do heaps for me.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds nice. Not overly great, but nice. Prob better then the latest Stratovarius.

So the Cains Offering is better than the new Strato? Maybe I should check it out then.

I like that Impellitteri a lot and yeah Rob sounds great to.

The Tango Down is awesome and maybe I'm in the minority but I love Alex's vocals.

Fat Nancy - Pure American Muscle Baby

Liked the sound samples of this and the gruff kind of vocals reminded me of Rhino Bucket, but some of this is pure crap baby

Hot Lottie is a great track and while I don't hate The Doors (they just bore me), this is too 70s doorsey-sounding to hold my attention. Meh nothing great.

AFI - 'Crash love' ; Never been into this band though they've always been on the borderline of being pretty good. I think one of their albums was pretty good a few years back, but this is another miss for me. I know what they're doing with the new style and I don't like it. Honestly, not bad, but I'll pass. Kind of like Kill Hannah mixed with the latest Ataris... but nowhere near as good as either.

So the Cains Offering is better than the new Strato? Maybe I should check it out then.

What are you trying to say assface?

New Stratovarius sounds a million bucks... but... i cant remember.. i think it had 0 hooks. New Revolution Rennaissance album is very nice though. Tolkki is flexing his muscles a bit and its a really good album/.

Machines of Grace - S/T

Zak Stevens of Savatage and Circle II Circle fame joins up with the members of his old (pre-Savatage) band and picks up where they left off in the early 90s. Not a bad disc, and of course I'm a Sava-fanboy so I'll listen to anything with Zak Stevens on it at least once, but so far nothing is jumping out at me and grabbing me by the nards. Perhaps the nard grabbing will occur after a few more spins.

• 2023 Gold Donors
Fat Nancy - Pure American Muscle Baby

Liked the sound samples of this and the gruff kind of vocals reminded me of Rhino Bucket, but some of this is pure crap baby

Hot Lottie is a great track and while I don't hate The Doors (they just bore me), this is too 70s doorsey-sounding to hold my attention. Meh nothing great.

As far as Alex Mitchell goes ...id stick with the 'Circus Of Power' S/T.

Agent - s/t ; delicious AOR. I really enjoyed this a lot. I hope it's been re-issued somewhere so I can get my hands on a physical copy.

Apache Stone - s/t ; painfully average modern rock. I had to bail about halfway through.

Dirty Penny - 'Young and reckless' ; surprisingly disappointing. Not bad at all and the style of the debut is no doubt ever-present and there are a handful of great songs here. But also a few pretty average ones. Looking forward to more spins... hope it grows on me. Good but not excellent, like I'd hoped.

Agent - s/t ; delicious AOR. I really enjoyed this a lot. I hope it's been re-issued somewhere so I can get my hands on a physical copy.

WOW - Geoff turns pink 'n' fluffy!! ;) This is mega light with loads of keys everywhere, so I wouldn't have put you down as a fan of this. It's a great album with some great songs though, i'll give you that. Escape re-issued it back in '96 with a new remix and new vocalist Troy Reid. The original LP was released in 1986 although not on CD. The follow up 'Evidence' is a keeper too mate!

Should be easy to pick up, like here.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss?url=se...amp;x=0&y=0

The Tango Down is awesome and maybe I'm in the minority but I love Alex's vocals.

Did i say TD is awesome? Its not. Its very cool. And i kinda like the vocals now. The whole albums reminds me of Pete's Rockarma album.. but not as good. Cool album, but wont crack top 10. Nice one though. New singer definatately suits the amterial better then Naro (no disrespect Phil!).

I agree with Wes. Alex's vocals kina grow on you. At first though, give it some time.

WOW - Geoff turns pink 'n' fluffy!! ;) This is mega light with loads of keys everywhere, so I wouldn't have put you down as a fan of this. It's a great album with some great songs though, i'll give you that. Escape re-issued it back in '96 with a new remix and new vocalist Troy Reid. The original LP was released in 1986 although not on CD. The follow up 'Evidence' is a keeper too mate!

Should be easy to pick up, like here.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss?url=se...amp;x=0&y=0

Nice. Thanks for the links... wow, they're not bad prices at all. I think I might need to look into getting these. As you say, it's soft and filled with keys, but most importantly there are som excellent songs on this thing. Loved it.

Breaking Benjamin - 'Dear agony' ; this is 100% through and through what you'd expect from these guys, except for the last 3 songs. The title track is excellent, the one after is great and the album closer 'Without you here' is another gem. Average disc, right up until a killer end of the disc.

Bulletboys - '10cc Billionaire' ; absolutely terrible - hard to listen to.

Bad Sister - 'Because rust never sleeps' ; vocals that only a mother could (try her best to) love, but song-wise this is pretty good. Not amazing, but I did enjoy it enough to give it more spins after this one.

Black China - s/t ; (I think... forget the title) It was okay, but not really too enjoyable at all. The last song was good, that was it.

Black Water Rising - Average modern hard rock. Very slow, boring... a couple of half decent songs but I won't play it again.

Bad Angels - s/t ; shitty bluesy rock - total pass.

Nocturnal Rites - 'New world messiah'

Boring as batshit. I think this must be the last album in this repetitive more metallic style which I find very unexciting before they grew to something I like. Glad I got this cheap.

Monday Mourning - 'Fool's paradise'

Big surprise. Go this for a bargain off Mark and expected nothing. Got a good, often very good modern rock CD. I really enjoyed this.

Asteria - s/t

Very good, solid modern rock band. This is possibly better than their full-length debut CD.

Burn Season - Unreleased Elektra album

Good stuff. As the album drags on it gets a bit boring and repetitive as these guys wouldn't know how to change the tempo of a song if it cost them a record deal - oh, well, possibly that's why this got canned. Some good stuff early on with strong choruses, but too much of the same.

Burning Borders - 'Yesterday's gone'

Average modern rock. Not bad at all, but I can't even remember much of what went on here already.

Cooper Inc. - 'Pulling the trigger'

Good stuff. Impressive. It has Michael Voss written all over it and is most easily compared to the last few Casanova CDs over anything else he's done lately. Really quite a good CD. Well worth checking out for fans of Voss' work, even if he only does keys and backing vocals.

Crash Boom Bang - 'Gold rush'

Piece of shit. I might have already heard it and said the same. Dreary Panic! At The Disco type music with one decent song, but otherwise, pass.

Craving Lucy - 'Therapy'

Another pretty average modern rock saved in part by a couple of strong tracks halfway through the disc. Still, forgettable stuff.

Dead By Sunrise - 'Out of the ashes'

I liked it, despite it reminding me of (a rapless) Linkin Park. Strong songs, strong melodies. Good stuff for modern rock fans. Recommended.

Dead Season - 'Life death'

Another pretty good one. A bit heavier than the above with a couple of screams, and not quite as good - but nice. Looking forward to another spin.

Decadenze - 'Beyond obsession'

Man this is shit. Dreary, half-assed modern rock with some of the most piss-weak choruses I've heard this year.

Boring as batshit. I think this must be the last album in this repetitive more metallic style which I find very unexciting before they grew to something I like. Glad I got this cheap.

Big surprise. Go this for a bargain off Mark and expected nothing. Got a good, often very good modern rock CD. I really enjoyed this.

Asteria - s/t

Very good, solid modern rock band. This is possibly better than their full-length debut CD.

Good stuff. As the album drags on it gets a bit boring and repetitive as these guys wouldn't know how to change the tempo of a song if it cost them a record deal - oh, well, possibly that's why this got canned. Some good stuff early on with strong choruses, but too much of the same.

Average modern rock. Not bad at all, but I can't even remember much of what went on here already.

Good stuff. Impressive. It has Michael Voss written all over it and is most easily compared to the last few Casanova CDs over anything else he's done lately. Really quite a good CD. Well worth checking out for fans of Voss' work, even if he only does keys and backing vocals.

Piece of shit. I might have already heard it and said the same. Dreary Panic! At The Disco type music with one decent song, but otherwise, pass.

Craving Lucy - 'Therapy'

Another pretty average modern rock saved in part by a couple of strong tracks halfway through the disc. Still, forgettable stuff.

I liked it, despite it reminding me of (a rapless) Linkin Park. Strong songs, strong melodies. Good stuff for modern rock fans. Recommended.

Another pretty good one. A bit heavier than the above with a couple of screams, and not quite as good - but nice. Looking forward to another spin.

Man this is shit. Dreary, half-assed modern rock with some of the most piss-weak choruses I've heard this year.

Oh, GOSH !! You really have way too much spare time to listen to all this crap ! With a few exceptions, I admit ...

:tumbsup:

Asteria - s/t

Craving Lucy - 'Therapy'

Oh, GOSH !! You really have way too much spare time to listen to all this crap ! With a few exceptions, I admit ...

:tumbsup:

Yeah, sadly sometimes you have to weed through the rubble to find a gem. This new Ipod I have is a godsend, though, as I can listen to this shit anytime I have a spare moment - walking the pups, eating breakfast, before sleep - good stuff. :)

KISS - SONIC BOOM

Two word review: Me likey.

KISS - SONIC BOOM

I been wondering if I should pick it up...I haven't even heard any samples....so can you elaborate a bit.? Does it remind you of their 70's or 80's stuff? Or is it like 'Psycho Circus'.....because if it's like PC, me don't wantey....

KISS - SONIC BOOM

I been wondering if I should pick it up...I haven't even heard any samples....so can you elaborate a bit.? Does it remind you of their 70's or 80's stuff? Or is it like 'Psycho Circus'.....because if it's like PC, me don't wantey....

Much more 70's with a couple of tracks that are 80's sounding and don't fear it's much better than PC.

WOLF - Ravenous

I heard the tune "Curse You Salem" on the Music Choice channel on cable I had to go out and buy this. At first I thought it would be thrash but it turns out to be good power metal. Fans of Helloween and Primal Fear will just love this disc. I give it a 9 out of 10.

Safe Haven - s/t ; wow, this got me on the wrong day and just pissed me off. Firstly, the artwork is atrocious. It is so shithouse I want to burn it. Verscera is not the best vocalist on his best day, but singing bad material here he just sounds absolutely terrible. The guitarist cannot play and he cannot write songs - I hate to be that blunt, but it's the truth. Musicianship is weak as hell and the songs are about as contrived and passion-free as I've ever heard. Just a poor, poor AOR disc. Hated it.

Safe Haven - s/t ; wow, this got me on the wrong day and just pissed me off. Firstly, the artwork is atrocious. It is so shithouse I want to burn it. Verscera is not the best vocalist on his best day, but singing bad material here he just sounds absolutely terrible. The guitarist cannot play and he cannot write songs - I hate to be that blunt, but it's the truth. Musicianship is weak as hell and the songs are about as contrived and passion-free as I've ever heard. Just a poor, poor AOR disc. Hated it.

haha don't use that as your ebay blurb when you try and sell it :P

Bloody Mary - we rock, you suck

This is kind of hard rock with a bit of a groovy funky sound to it. Singer has a great voice. Couple of real rocking tracks but the rest don't really stand out. Pretty good nonetheless.