First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Praying Mantis - Sanctuary

Praying Mantis have always been one of those bands that have always been on the edge, but never quite broke through, which is a real shame, because if you listen to their back catologue of stuff, there are many truly great albums waiting for you to discover - The classic debut 'Time Tells No Lies', 'To The Power Of Ten' ' Forever In Time, ''Nowhere To Hide and 'The Journey Goes On' -All Top quality melodic rock albums and all worthy of anyones collection. The new Praying Mantis disc 'Sanctuary' is certainly no different and really is very very good indeed. 'Turn The Tide', 'In Time' and the brilliant 'Touch The Rainbow' especially being 3 of many highlights and few lows. In comes another new lead Mike Freeland (ex of More and Brian Connolly's Sweet) to fill the shoes of previous vocalists like Gary Bardens, Tony O' Hora and a very good job he does aswell - great voice.

Highly quality Melodic rock, nicely played, produced and presented. Check it out.

Fine. I will.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spinal Tap "Back From the Dead"

Ok got this the other day.. First of all I HATE the packaging.. Not a jewel case, but this fold out pop up thing with the band and stuff, which IS kinda cool, but the discs tend to slide around or even fall out.....

Now, onto the music.....

It's sort of a greatest hits, with like 12 old songs re-recorded?? I must say I prefer the original versions.. Not that I HATE the re-recorded ones, but maybe I need to listen to them again maybe?? the funky version of "Sex Farm" Is kinda cool, as is the Reggae version of "Listen to What the Flower People Say"

The new songs are just.. Ok.. Nothing like "Break Like the Wind" Which opened with the excellent "Bitch School".... I don't hate them, or really NOT like them, just was hoping for something more I guess.... I haven't watched the DVD yet, but I am sure that will be MOST entertaining.....

Maybe, like the new Judas Priest CD, after a few spins this one will grow on Me.. I hope so, cause I DO like the Tap!!!!! :headbanger:

Death Angel - Act III

This is my first time hearing this band and I have to say I'm very impressed. Like a mix of Testament, Metallica, Anthrax and maybe even a little Fates Warning. The band really mix it up on this disc with plenty of acoustic playing mixed in with the thrash. Fav songs so far "Seemingly Endless Time", "Room with a View" and "Veil of Deception".

Metal Church - The Human Factor

I feel like a moron for not knowing much about this band but now that I've just picked up many of their discs that is all about to change. I love love love this disc. Fav songs so far are "Date with Poverty", "In Mourning" and "In Harms Way" but I pretty much think the whole disc rules.

Metal Church - Hanging in the Balance

I always read this one wasn't that good but damn I think it's great! "Gods of Second Chance", "Losers in the Game", "Hypnotized", "No Friend of Mine" and "Waiting for a Savior" are my favs so far from this cd that has been a very pleasant suprise to my ears.

Death Angel - Act III

This is my first time hearing this band and I have to say I'm very impressed. Like a mix of Testament, Metallica, Anthrax and maybe even a little Fates Warning. The band really mix it up on this disc with plenty of acoustic playing mixed in with the thrash. Fav songs so far "Seemingly Endless Time", "Room with a View" and "Veil of Deception".

I feel like a moron for not knowing much about this band but now that I've just picked up many of their discs that is all about to change. I love love love this disc. Fav songs so far are "Date with Poverty", "In Mourning" and "In Harms Way" but I pretty much think the whole disc rules.

I always read this one wasn't that good but damn I think it's great! "Gods of Second Chance", "Losers in the Game", "Hypnotized", "No Friend of Mine" and "Waiting for a Savior" are my favs so far from this cd that has been a very pleasant suprise to my ears.

Yeah that Death Angel is a cool CD, very catchy stuff after a few listens. You've lost me with "Hanging in the Balance" though - didn't like that disc one tiny bit. So lacking in power/aggression....

Death Angel - Act III

Yeah that Death Angel is a cool CD, very catchy stuff after a few listens. You've lost me with "Hanging in the Balance" though - didn't like that disc one tiny bit. So lacking in power/aggression....

I wasn't expecting much but I really like it especially the first 6 tracks.

Dream Theater - Black Clouds And Bl Silver Linings (Deluxe 3 Disc Edition)

I have pretty much loved all of the DT discs released so far, with a couple of exceptions, so everytime they have a new album it goes straight onto the shopping list. So what do we have here with the new one 'Black Clouds And Silver Linings' - Lovely Striking artwork as usual, 3 discs featuring the album in full, plus a 46 minute disc of 6 cover versions (Rainbow, King Crimson, Zebra and Dixie Dreggs amongst others), plus an instrumental mix of the album aswell. The album proper won't disappoint one iota, as it is choc full of the typical Dream Theater stuff, fantastic , melodic songs, complex arrangements, fantastic virtuoso playing by all and a top notch production job throughout. There is plenty of melody on show here aswell, so it isn't all in insignificant 'Noodling' that DT are often accused of. Yes it does require a little bit of effort, and isn't an instant fix on first listen, but after 3 spins, I can pretty much guarantee everything will have sunk in and the real quality of this album will show itself . 'Shattered Fortress', 'A Rite Of Passage', 'The Best Of Times' and the exceptonal ' The Count Of Tuscany' go some way to proving that no Prog metal band do this 'Thing' better than Dream Theater. 75 minutes of prog metal perfection.

The covers disc is a nice little bonus with some really DT'up versions of Rainbows 'Stargazer', Iron Maiden's 'To Tame A Land' and Dixie Dreggs 'Odyssey' which are all brilliantly done. I wasn't as keen on the Queen and Zebra covers to be honest and King Crimson are definitely a hit or a miss even though it has been well done.

The Third disc is an instrumental version of the album, which to be honest, will probably get one spin and then get tucked away in it's little card sleeve never to appear again.

The second and third discs maybe a little inconsequential to the brilliant main album proper, but if you are a DT fan wondering whether to buy this album or not, the answer is a almighty and huge YES. One of their best albums of their career so far and that is no mean feat looking at the strength of theiir back catologue.

Welcome to the Metal Church fold, brotha Wes.... for the record, HANGING... is an OK album, I think the main complaints people have about it are the cheap-sounding production (by Savatage guru Paul O'Neill on several tracks, believe it or not) and the fact that the CD cover is one of the ugliest pieces of album art in the history of recorded music. Metal was pretty much dead in the US by the time that one came out in '93 but even if it had still been popular, that piece of sh*t cover would've guaranteed it arriving in record stores D.O.A. :lol:

Welcome to the Metal Church fold, brotha Wes.... for the record, HANGING... is an OK album, I think the main complaints people have about it are the cheap-sounding production (by Savatage guru Paul O'Neill on several tracks, believe it or not) and the fact that the CD cover is one of the ugliest pieces of album art in the history of recorded music. Metal was pretty much dead in the US by the time that one came out in '93 but even if it had still been popular, that piece of sh*t cover would've guaranteed it arriving in record stores D.O.A. :lol:

Yeah I read that the cover was bad and yes it is but I love the tunes. :headbanger:

I have pretty much loved all of the DT discs released so far, with a couple of exceptions, so everytime they have a new album it goes straight onto the shopping list. So what do we have here with the new one 'Black Clouds And Silver Linings' - Lovely Striking artwork as usual, 3 discs featuring the album in full, plus a 46 minute disc of 6 cover versions (Rainbow, King Crimson, Zebra and Dixie Dreggs amongst others), plus an instrumental mix of the album aswell. The album proper won't disappoint one iota, as it is choc full of the typical Dream Theater stuff, fantastic , melodic songs, complex arrangements, fantastic virtuoso playing by all and a top notch production job throughout. There is plenty of melody on show here aswell, so it isn't all in insignificant 'Noodling' that DT are often accused of. Yes it does require a little bit of effort, and isn't an instant fix on first listen, but after 3 spins, I can pretty much guarantee everything will have sunk in and the real quality of this album will show itself . 'Shattered Fortress', 'A Rite Of Passage', 'The Best Of Times' and the exceptonal ' The Count Of Tuscany' go some way to proving that no Prog metal band do this 'Thing' better than Dream Theater. 75 minutes of prog metal perfection.

The covers disc is a nice little bonus with some really DT'up versions of Rainbows 'Stargazer', Iron Maiden's 'To Tame A Land' and Dixie Dreggs 'Odyssey' which are all brilliantly done. I wasn't as keen on the Queen and Zebra covers to be honest and King Crimson are definitely a hit or a miss even though it has been well done.

The Third disc is an instrumental version of the album, which to be honest, will probably get one spin and then get tucked away in it's little card sleeve never to appear again.

The second and third discs maybe a little inconsequential to the brilliant main album proper, but if you are a DT fan wondering whether to buy this album or not, the answer is a almighty and huge YES. One of their best albums of their career so far and that is no mean feat looking at the strength of theiir back catologue.

Waiting for mine... can't wait!

Waiting for mine... can't wait!

It's fantastic mate - Promise ya! :tumbsup:

Yeah I read that the cover was bad and yes it is but I love the tunes. :headbanger:

Now you just need to pick up 'Blessing in Disguise' and you have their best 3 releases...IMO...and yes I realize that some here will have a heart attack over that statement but I never got into the 'S/T' or 'The Dark' releases....

Now you just need to pick up 'Blessing in Disguise' and you have their best 3 releases...IMO...and yes I realize that some here will have a heart attack over that statement but I never got into the 'S/T' or 'The Dark' releases....

I have 'Blessing' and I agree it's one of their best. :headbanger:

FAIR WARNING - Aura (JAP first-pressing)

Putting aside the absolutely horrible cover, this is a lot better than "Brothers Keeper" - which was a big disappointment and the first F/W disc to fall below par IMO. It's really good stuff this, with much bigger hooks than before and some mighty choruses on here. The big bombastic sound is back, and there is a truly monstrous ballad on here ("Falling"). There are a couple of horrific moments - "Station to Station" and "As Snow White Found Out" - and some major cheese (two songs with "smile" in the title is two too many). However opener "Fighting For Your Love" is the best song they've written since the "Go!" album, and overall this is highly recommended.

Bret Michaels - a letter from death row

If you don’t like Bret’s voice to begin with, I doubt you will like this and I can actually see how he can be a bit annoying vocally, because a lot of it seems a bit of an act to try and sound different all the time. But to me he has always come across as cheeky-fun and I wonder if he cracks up at himself when he sings some of this.

Bret kind of leans to the laid back, almost country side sometimes. Couple of stinkers here, but more good than bad for me. “The devil inside” has to be one of the best songs on this, love the lyrics.

No real surprises with this disc, guess it was pretty much what I expected. But yeah I don't mind it at all. Good easy listening in my books.

July For Kings -'Monochrome' ; I believe the vocalist did a solo album a few years ago and I'm guessing it sounded like this. Very singer/songwriter-ish and not really reminiscent of the good, solid modern rock band that delivered 'Swim' back in 2003. Not bad, just average.

Native Window - S/T

This is the new project put together by Kansas members Billy Greer, Phil Ehart, Rich Williams and David Ragsdale. No Steve Walsh on here (who's voice is completely shot last time I heard it, so probably a good point). This is really a very nice disc. Think an earthy, stripped back Kansas, minus the oveblown Pomp and Keyboards, 3-4 minute songs (all of a VERY good quality I may add - 'Money' and 'Surrender' especially are really very good indeed), and that just about sums up the sound on this one. It doesn't 'Rock' that much, but that isn't the idea, this is just good music played by good musicians - some of the harmonies on here are sublime and really make the already good songwriting stand out even more. As I said, Kansas fans and the more open minded of you that like something different than your average blah de blah, should really check this out.

Firenote - s/t

Another release for the Wig Wam/Brother Firetribe/Poodles lovers...... and this one doesnt let you down either! Sounds like maybe a rough mix of Brother Firetribe and Edguy... the cheesy aor side...

Sorry mate, I listened at their Myspace a few days back and I thought it sounded well dodgy. Poor vocalist and as you say some well dodgy lyrics....esp that 'speedos' song. WTF.

A million miles from the standard of say BF, HEAT, Poodles etc............

Firenote - s/t

Another release for the Wig Wam/Brother Firetribe/Poodles lovers...... and this one doesnt let you down either! Sounds like maybe a rough mix of Brother Firetribe and Edguy... the cheesy aor side...

Sorry mate, I listened at their Myspace a few days back and I thought it sounded well dodgy. Poor vocalist and as you say some well dodgy lyrics....esp that 'speedos' song. WTF.

The 'Firenote' and 'Sara La Fountain' tracks are excellent, but will definitely be checking out the full disc for the others, before comparing (for better or worse) with anyone. The vocals sound ok though and I have heard a lot worse. The band have a good sound in general, without re-inventing the wheel.

Will get back to you on this one!!

I laughed at the 'Well dodgy lyrics' comment mate, after the 'band' you have been banging on about for the last month. :D

Just reading some comments on other sites (one in particular) about Firenote and it never fails to make me laugh out fucking loud (then get a little angry afterwards it must be said), at some 'Discerning Alleged Know It All Music Fans' making comments on albums they haven't even heard and haven't a fucking clue about, except for one or two full songs and a few soundbytes (a tried an tested formula amongst some of the fan boys in the melodic rock community in general unfortunately). I am not going to say whether this band is better or worse than any of their peers as I haven't heard the album in full (my first impression of Firenote I have noted in my previous comment) but fucking hell, loads of people love BFT, Wig Wam, The Poodles and this style of melodic rock in general (myself included), so at least give a band the courtesy of listening to their album in full before making completely shite, inaccurate, 'guesses' on it - If you don't like it afterwards, then fair enough, but at least give it a chance first. I thought people were music lovers around here and were meant to try supporting new and upcoming bands - Obviously not in some cases. Some freak described the vocals as 'Unlistenable' on the album and whilst I will admit, they aren't the best thing I have ever heard (neither are they the worst by far either), they certainly don't merit idiotic comments like that (although one person making them is a class 'A' fuckwit anyways). Yet another 'Sheep' in a growing flock of idiots that should be banished from listening to any form of music and never be let near a keyboard ever again.

Firenote - s/t

The 'Firenote' and 'Sara La Fountain' tracks are excellent, but will definitely be checking out the full disc for the others, before comparing (for better or worse) with anyone. The vocals sound ok though and I have heard a lot worse. The band have a good sound in general, without re-inventing the wheel.

Will get back to you on this one!!

I laughed at the 'Well dodgy lyrics' comment mate, after the 'band' you have been banging on about for the last month. :D

Yeah admitted.......but the difference is that SP lyrics are classic, and that Speedos song was just naff...sorry.

I guess I was a bit short on the Firenote summation, but with sooo much music about if it doesnt grab me from the word go, then its out Im afraid.

However I wouldnt describe the 'Firenote' track as excellent???! I may have to have another listen tonight to re-confirm my thoughts.

Ho hum.

Firenote - s/t

Yep I quite liked the sound of this too, have this coming anyday now. The vocals are a bit suspect, but some cool hooks....