First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Yellowcard - 'Southern air' ; this one seems to be a good one. On first spin I didn't detect any fillers and it all seemed quite solid, very much in line with their 'Ocean Avenue' and 'Lights and Sounds' albums. Unfortunately it's no 'Paper Walls' but I think we can safely assume that as a once off. On first spin I think this is probably better than the last album, 'When you're through thinking say yes.' We'll see, though, as they're probably both quite close. Both good albums.

Pete Lesperance - 'Fade into stars' ; This one started out terribly but after a few really bad songs the rest was actually all pretty good. It's all very mellow and merely a collection of ballads. It's no Harem Scarem, that's for sure, but I did think most the songs were pretty good, with good strong chorus hooks. Mellow, but nice.

That Yellowcard is a good one IMO. Where'd you get the PL disc, is it download only?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yellowcard - 'Southern air' ; this one seems to be a good one. On first spin I didn't detect any fillers and it all seemed quite solid, very much in line with their 'Ocean Avenue' and 'Lights and Sounds' albums. Unfortunately it's no 'Paper Walls' but I think we can safely assume that as a once off. On first spin I think this is probably better than the last album, 'When you're through thinking say yes.' We'll see, though, as they're probably both quite close. Both good albums.

Pete Lesperance - 'Fade into stars' ; This one started out terribly but after a few really bad songs the rest was actually all pretty good. It's all very mellow and merely a collection of ballads. It's no Harem Scarem, that's for sure, but I did think most the songs were pretty good, with good strong chorus hooks. Mellow, but nice.

That Yellowcard is a good one IMO. Where'd you get the PL disc, is it download only?

Haha, I'm unemployed, mate, with nothing on the horizon at the moment at all. :( I couldn't not buy the new Eclipse or Hess discs, but I've been really tight about what I actually buy this year and that's going to be upped 100% now. Close to nothing will make it to my purchase pile without heavy download try before I buy scrutiny. :)

That said, looks like a pretty good price here:

http://www.indie-poo...pany=1&winsize=

Of all those albums, though, Namesake was BY FAR the best of that lot. Unfortunately you'll probably never hear it as it's digital only. :(

http://storepreview....951505&s=143441

Lessdress – Dumblondes

Took me right back to the 80s, this one. Can't complain about that ... except that it only last for four songs. Four songs of great 80s sleaze/glam, then it gets really average and a bit boring.

Steele – Tricks Up My Sleeve

Must be something about four-song wonders at the moment, as this was a similar story. Four songs of good, 80s-style hard rock/hair metal, then mediocrity. 'Tricks Up My Sleeve' and 'Flirtin' With Fame' are particularly excellent songs, but then with track five, 'Stay', it sounds like the band are just trying to be Alice In Chains. The song is remarkably like AIC, but unfortunately not particularly good imo. Apart from 'I'll Never Cry', I wasn't keen on the rest of the songs and at least one of them is another Alice In Chains/Pearl Jam wannabe.

Beautiful Beast - 'California Suntan' ; straight up, Julian is a champion fella. A real nice, genuine guy and I sincerely wish him all the best in musical success, and I hope there are many more of these Beautiful Beast albums to come. But, in the spirit of honesty, this album is sadly nowhere near as good as the last one. It's cool, fun hard rock, but really missing those really melodic/AOR gems from the last album. The songs are generally a lot more straight forward, missing those big cheesy choruses of the last CD. Yeah, nice CD, but for the next one I hope he continues with the spirit of the last disc, or maybe tries a really glammy route? The last track - the "bonus" track which was the song he wrote soonest after 'Adult Orientated Candy' was definitely the best, imo.

Loadguns - Broken Highway ; again, super nice guys and I truly wish them well. This is a good CD that sounds nicely produced for the indie it is. The songs are all solid, strong melodic rock tunes. Nothing bad here, all flows nicely. My only two small things would be the fact that there is a pretty strong accent, and although all the sounds are good, it's also just missing that one or two really killer tracks. Very nice disc, though, and I could see great things coming from these guys if they get the chance to keep recording.

Confess - The gin act ; very, very good sleaze EP. The non-English track is a shame but the rest is pretty fine indeed. Favourite song was the last one, but sleaze hard rock fans will dig this mofo for sure.

A Loss for Words ~ No Sanctuary ; I did download this last year and probably commented here at the time, but I just got the CD to spin properly. I really like this. It's pretty unoriginal modern rock, but really well done for what it is. No easily compared to anyone in particular, but they sound like pretty typical modern rock, but there's a handful of really strong songs on this without a real filler too. Good disc.

Four Year Strong ~ In Some Way, Shape, or Form ; again, really, really solid album. This was actually reminding me of Summerhero at times. There's something about this band which keeps them just off the top of the ladder in modern rock, but jeez they're close. All the songs are very good, with good hooks and nice choruses... but like some bands do, they do severely miss those one or two really killer tracks. But otherwise, everything else gets a big tick from me. Good stuff.

New Found Glory ~ Radiosurgery ; pretty typical of their last few discs, I like it again. If you liked them before you'll like this and if you didn't like them before this won't change your mind. The best songs are at the start, and there are good ones. But overall it's all pretty good pop punk stuff.

Thousand Foot Krutch ~ End Is Where We Begin ; these guys are silly, but this is for the most part pretty damn good. There's about 2-3 songs here with rap verses, which are stupid, but I'd be lying if I said I hated them, lol. They're christian and maybe a bit more vocal than before, but not overbearing by any means. When they're not rapping, this is really pretty good modern rock. Immaculate production and sound... yeah, I just like it.

Transmit Now - 1955 ; thanks to Shamus for the heads up on this, but man, I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed with this. A few nice songs, but for the most part it has that real "cheap" kind of indie feel to it. Some songs I really disliked here and skipped on first spin, but there were a few nice ones. I'll keep a few of these songs on my Ipod, but probably delete a lot too.

Knight Fury - Time to rock ; similar story here. A few pretty cool Fifth Angel styled hard rock tunes, but as many fillers, sadly. Not a fan of the Geoff Tate style vocals at all, and some really uninteresting lyrics (about castles and stuff), but there is a plus side for this, and some genuinely good hard rock songs in the style of Fifth Angel/Leatherwolf.

Abused Romance - Shine ; doods, you need to get this now - http://www.abusedromance.com/

The album can be downloaded in full, for free, from the above site. And by gosh it's a really good album. A slight accent, but very slight... and just great modern melodic rock songs. One of those albums which isn't immediately "modern" and has some nice big catchy melodic choruses. I have a previous album from these guys on my Ipod, but I definitely can't remember them being this good. I really hope people check this one out, especially with the ease of access.

Close to Home - 'Momentum' ; far out I now officially love these guys. Two albums in two years and I must say, as much as I loved the last CD, this is even better. If you like A Day To Remember you will adore this. This features screamo verses (which I will add, are actually decipherable - not just random screams), big heavy music tracks and super melodic/catchy/hooky choruses. Many bands try this, and only these guys and ADTR really sound anywhere near this good. Yeah, I definitely love this one.

Fall From Grace - 'The Romance Years' ; doods, didn't you read Mark's review - http://hardrockhaven...-romance-years/

This thing is pretty awesome. Like Mark says, these guys have just laid down as many big hooks, catchy, massive choruses and overall as much melodicness as they could on this CD. I don't know if they're "modern" or what... one of those bands where it's hard to tell... but if you love catchy melodic rock with huge choruses, pretty sure you'll dig this one. Very, very impressive.

Linkin Park - Living Things ; wow, gotta say I did not expect this, but this is crap. I didn't even really know when songs were ending and other ones beginning, and which song was separate to the last... missed any good hooks there should have been on this. Yeah, just a real nothing album. Hope it sticks better with another spin but I can't see it working out to be honest.

Crystal Blue - Out From The Blue At Last ; nice. I already have their 'Roll of the dice' CD with a few of these songs, but it's nice to get this in the collection, even if it's just a well made boot. :) Yeah, nice AOR.

Million $ Reload - A Sinner's Saint ; not bad actually. I know nothing about these guys and if they have released other discs, nor would I overly bother to find out, lol, but this is a pretty good disc. Lyrics not perfectly decipherable, but I guess the songs were better than I was thinking, with some cool hard rock on offer.

Wild Frontier - 2012 ; actually spun it twice in quick succession to gather a good thought. This one sounds pretty good to me. After the last album, which did finish well, for also featured a lot of pretty average hard rock, I was wondering how they'd go with this one. Thankfully they've stuck to the more melodic side of their sound, and whilst it's not perfect, I guess this was pretty cool. Yeah, I think this is a pretty good effort.

Million $ Reload - A Sinner's Saint ; not bad actually. I know nothing about these guys and if they have released other discs, nor would I overly bother to find out, lol, but this is a pretty good disc. Lyrics not perfectly decipherable, but I guess the songs were better than I was thinking, with some cool hard rock on offer.

I think this one is overall more consistent than their debut ('Anthems of a Degeneration'), but their best songs are on there. Somehow 'A Sinner's Saint' sounds a bit same-ish. Definately check out the song 'The Last Icon' off the debut, if you like the overall vibe of M$R!

And keep those first-spin-impressions coming, always a pleasure to read your thoughts!

Hess - Living In Yesterday

There is no denying that Harry Hess has written some great songs either with HS or solo and First Signal and this is no different. Lesperance and the other HS boys all make appearances along with Magnus Karlsson and Tommy Denander and I would generally say this comes across over all as HS lite in sound. It has a few gems along the way, but it also has to be said it gets a bit samey and one paced and I began losing interest at about track 8. Not a bad album at all and a few more spins will probably help give this a few more marks, although it's not essential in my book - I'll stick to the first 2 HS and First Signal albums.,

Loverboy - Rock N Roll Revival

When it was announced that a new Loverboy disc was on the way, my pulse started racing, as it has been 5 years since the excellent 'Just Getting Started' album in 2007. My heart sunk when I heard this was going to be a new album of Re-records and liking this one will depend on your stance around bands re-recording their classic hits. Personally It doesn't bother me, although most of the re-records I have heard usually offer nothing new and on occasions take away from the class of the originals. Journey, Foreigner and Kiss all did it with a certain degree of success on their discs, although in no way would I go to those before the original albums. This is a similar story, well done re-records, sticking pretty much to the originals, although a few are a little more beefed up in the production and sonically better for sure, but most lacking something from the originals. The 3 new songs featured, 2 are average and not that great and 'Heartbreaker' which is a class act.Hopefully a full new album will appear, although it seems, with only 3 new tunes in 5 odd years, I won't hold my breath.

Threshold - March Of Progress

This band have never put out a bad album imo and in some cases ('Hypothetical', 'Dead Reckoning', 'Clone', 'Wounded Land') have released some of the best Prog metal there is to be heard. Macs untimely death left a big whole for sure, but Damian Wilson has always been a quality frontman with the voice to match and has stepped back into the fold and done a superb job on here. Some of the material is slightly less commercial in places than the last few albums and takes a few spins to fully appreciate (there is over 75 minutes of stuff to get your ears around) but this is a really very good album indeed.

I think this one is overall more consistent than their debut ('Anthems of a Degeneration'), but their best songs are on there. Somehow 'A Sinner's Saint' sounds a bit same-ish. Definately check out the song 'The Last Icon' off the debut, if you like the overall vibe of M$R!

And keep those first-spin-impressions coming, always a pleasure to read your thoughts!

Haha, thanks mate, will do. And I dunno, maybe I will actually check out that M$R debut if time and circumstances permit. ;)

Eclipse - Bleed and Scream ; just got it this afternoon and had to throw it in the stereo as I did a few things around the place. Sounded pretty awesome. I will create enemies and say my first truly honest impression is that it could be a little over-hyped and there were a couple of songs which didn't hit the mark immediately - almost like that Iron Maiden-ish gallopy stuff here and there. Only a couple of those sorts of moments and nothing to take away from the whole thing. Sounds like it'll be a winner, but time will tell if it contends for the top spots this year.

Rains - Stories ; solid but boring modern rock. Very run of the mill, not too much more to say on it. Not really worth checking out to be honest.

Broadway - Gentleman's Brawl ; loved this one. Really good, solid and enjoyable modern hard rock kinda like a lighter A Day To Remember but without the screams. Yeah, it won't convert non-modern rock fans but it'll please enthusiasts for sure. Great tunes,

Capital Lights - Rhythm N Moves ; absolute rubbish. More dance-poppy than the debut and aside from a decent hook or two this is a real slab of shit and certainly not worth the ear space.

Santa Cruz - Anthem For The Young N Restless ; wowser this is good. Really good. Pretty much loved it from start to end with a bundle of great hard rock anthems. Given enough spins, these guys would surely sit alongside stuff like Crazy Lixx. Great big backing vocals and I gotta say, killer solos too. Reminds me of Roxx Gang 'TYNDB' in some of those solos. Yeah, great songs and I hope these guys stick around and release many albums.

Evans Blue - Graveyard of Empires ; argh! How does this music still exist and why? I've kept track of these guys solely because of their song 'Bulletproof,' which is still an all-time fave of mine, but I'm not sure how much longer I can bother for the sake of that one song. Dreary, bad modern rock - nu-metal, I believe they call this shit. I mean music.

Copperview - Back to Life ; really surprisingly good modern rock CD. When I saw the name I feared some shitty copperhead road southern banjo rock... but this is really strong modern rock with good lyrics and several really good songs. I guess the closest comparison would be Daughtry - well worth checking out.

The Classic Crime - Phoenix ; another band I've followed for quite a few years. Their last album, 'Vagabonds,' was pretty disappointing but this seems to be a step back in the right direction despite a few clunkers. Sounded like there were some pretty good songs on here. They're still not really amazing, though.

Forever Came Calling - Contender ; wow I loved this. Only given it the one kind of distracted spin so far, but I recall this reminding me just the tiniest bit of vintage Cauterize. Just sounded like good, spirited modern hard rock. Can't wait to hear this again.

Estrella - Come Out to Play ; Like I said in the what's spinning thread, this is a pretty mixed bag. In the end it turns out the truly dreadful songs are thankfully outnumbered by the good songs. 'Mona Lisa Smile' is a really great tune, but there's a few more pretty good songs. Certainly not the most consistent band ever, but there's a few good moments here.

Pleasure Addiction - Independence ; nice melodic rock here. The closer, 'Poison Kiss,' is the best on here, but it's all pretty good, solid melodic hard rock with some strong hooks. They're the kind of band that could release a really great 2nd disc if they keep at it.

3 Pill Morning - Black Tie Love Affair ; sounded like a pretty standard modern rock affair. Average hard rockers mixed with some good ballads / commercial numbers. Sounded well worth a second spin. In the Hinder/Nickelback style of the spectrum.

• My Little Pony

Eclipse - Bleed and Scream ; just got it this afternoon and had to throw it in the stereo as I did a few things around the place. Sounded pretty awesome. I will create enemies and say my first truly honest impression is that it could be a little over-hyped and there were a couple of songs which didn't hit the mark immediately - almost like that Iron Maiden-ish gallopy stuff here and there. Only a couple of those sorts of moments and nothing to take away from the whole thing. Sounds like it'll be a winner, but time will tell if it contends for the top spots this year.

You're not alone, Geoffy. I too think this one is over-hyped. You guys set my expectations too high. It's a good album, it just didn't grab me by the balls like I was hoping.

The Classic Crime - Phoenix ; another band I've followed for quite a few years. Their last album, 'Vagabonds,' was pretty disappointing but this seems to be a step back in the right direction despite a few clunkers. Sounded like there were some pretty good songs on here. They're still not really amazing, though.

Well, I'm glad you've got these guys on your radar, 'cause mine's shit. I had no idea they had a new album out. I'll have to go pick it up. I love these guys. I'll agree, Vagabonds was a little disappointing, but that's only because The Silver Chord was so amazing. I doubt they'll ever match it.

There are 2 power metallish type songs on Eclipse, but they're still gooduns IMO. The rest is killer melodic (hard) rock and I must have spun this about 20 times. Just gets better and better & the production is flawless. Super disc and the main threat to HEAT so far this year. Still got Jimi and Vega to come yet though which could trump both of them - I do hope so! :-))

There are 2 power metallish type songs on Eclipse, but they're still gooduns IMO. The rest is killer melodic (hard) rock and I must have spun this about 20 times. Just gets better and better & the production is flawless. Super disc and the main threat to HEAT so far this year. Still got Jimi and Vega to come yet though which could trump both of them - I do hope so! :-))

I agree it's killer BUT, for me not better than H.E.A.T

• My Little Pony

My

My year end list is gonna look so much different from anyone else here. I just have a feeling.

My

My year end list is gonna look so much different from anyone else here. I just have a feeling.

I'm sure my list will be a giant curveball. Without a rating yet, and after spinning Eclipse a 2nd time, it should be pretty high but I don't think it'll be too close to HEAT. It seems only 'Battlegrounds' and that ballad afterwards were weak... the rest is pretty awesome. I agree with Glen that the production is excellent - MUCH better than the Toby Hitchcock disc. Maybe the other guy in the band knows what he's doing when it comes to production. ;)

My

I'm sure my list will be a giant curveball. Without a rating yet, and after spinning Eclipse a 2nd time, it should be pretty high but I don't think it'll be too close to HEAT. It seems only 'Battlegrounds' and that ballad afterwards were weak... the rest is pretty awesome. I agree with Glen that the production is excellent - MUCH better than the Toby Hitchcock disc. Maybe the other guy in the band knows what he's doing when it comes to production. ;)

Wait a minute did you say that Battlegrounds is weak? That's one of my favs.....

Battlegrounds is a nice melodic metal outfit. I don't know but I can't seem to find a weak track on that disc, maybe 'Unspoken Heroes" ? but that's still a good Whitesnake-feel tune. Anybody love 'Ain't Dead Yet' that much ? that's a ballbreaker, massive killer

Battlegrounds is a nice melodic metal outfit. I don't know but I can't seem to find a weak track on that disc, maybe 'Unspoken Heroes" ? but that's still a good Whitesnake-feel tune. Anybody love 'Ain't Dead Yet' that much ? that's a ballbreaker, massive killer

Ha ha Unspoken is one of my favs - see there are going to be some differing views on these songs, but at least everyone is praising it - good job by the boys me thinks!!

Dallas - 'Over the edge EP' ; simply stunning to be honest. If you're like me and think that Blue Tears was better than anything Def Leppard ever recorded, I'll just skip the obvious comparison of Def Leppard and call this EP comparable to the Blue Tears debut. I absolutely love this. Unfortunately you can only get this 5 track EP by way of free digital download, but the simple truth of the matter is that if you have something against downloading MP3's you're going to miss 4 of 2012's best songs, in my honest opinion. No beating around the bush - 'The devil is rock n' roll' sucks dog balls, but the other 4 songs are utterly brilliant. I don't know how to pick from them, but I guess 'I close my eyes' and 'Open your heart' would be my faves. Just perfection... If you don't have it already go here now - http://thisisdallas.us/

Shotgun Alley - 'Damnation EP' ; nice stuff... so close to being awesome it's not funny. The quality of the music and the production are both flawless. The thing where this just falls a little short is really great choruses. Songs like 'The Dream' and 'Ray of light' are virtually perfect, except for pretty lacklustre choruses. Elsewhere, there's a bit of cheese and another cover of a song I really hate - 'The stroke.' This version is about as good as it gets, but what do they say about polishing a dog turd? Overall, some really good ideas and I only hope they focus a little more on the choruses for their next full length album.

Mike - Ruocco - 'The rise. The ride. The risk' ; the voice of Cinder Road / Plunge returns here with a re-release of sorts.There's a heap of re-recorded songs from the last Cinder Road album (all the commercial / really melodic ones) and a handful of new songs. 'Millionaires' and 'Rocks off' are shithouse and totally uncharacteristic of the rest of the CD, but the rest is all the really commercial side of Cinder Road on full display. I personally think this album is fantastic and although a lot of the re-records are the best songs here, like the stunning 'It hurts,' aside from the 2 noted songs, all the other new tracks are really excellent too. Big thumbs up. If being solo means he ditches the average modern rock songs and just concentrates on the more melodic stuff, I'm all for his solo career. :)

Burn - Global Warning

This is kind of average, not really my cup of tea and I found a lot of the choruses quite disappointing and dull. However, the guitar solos feckin' rock!

Ha ha Unspoken is one of my favs - see there are going to be some differing views on these songs, but at least everyone is praising it - good job by the boys me thinks!!

Well yeah i can't actually call an 8/10 track a weak one, but maybe the rest are just simply above it for me, but who knows after several more spins sunk in. BTW, Erik has another project called 'THE FRIDAY NIGHTS', probably not for everybody, but it shows a bit powerpop side of him, I love the project. The other day I got the MP3 samples, but when I asked him, he said it's not ready yet and probably what I've heard is some kinda leaked demos, don't know, I asked him how to order the CD and he said maybe later when it's ready. So, you might want to check it out also because fans of modern melodic rock should dig that too I guess, you can find it on the net for now

Well yeah i can't actually call an 8/10 track a weak one, but maybe the rest are just simply above it for me, but who knows after several more spins sunk in. BTW, Erik has another project called 'THE FRIDAY NIGHTS', probably not for everybody, but it shows a bit powerpop side of him, I love the project. The other day I got the MP3 samples, but when I asked him, he said it's not ready yet and probably what I've heard is some kinda leaked demos, don't know, I asked him how to order the CD and he said maybe later when it's ready. So, you might want to check it out also because fans of modern melodic rock should dig that too I guess, you can find it on the net for now

Yeah I've heard of that & will definitely check cos as you know I do like a bit of modern stuff & love EM!

Yeah I've heard of that & will definitely check cos as you know I do like a bit of modern stuff & love EM!

Wow, I'd love to hear that. I wonder if it sounds like those handful of brilliant super commercial tracks on Eclipse's debut. They had some kind of modern edge. I imagine this'll be awesome because the kid knows how to write a hook.

Wow, I'd love to hear that. I wonder if it sounds like those handful of brilliant super commercial tracks on Eclipse's debut. They had some kind of modern edge. I imagine this'll be awesome because the kid knows how to write a hook.

Here's some tracks to check out: http://www.thefridaynights.com/tfn/music.html

Been waiting for this album since 2007, hopefully they'll finally release something!

Here's some tracks to check out: http://www.thefriday.../tfn/music.html

Been waiting for this album since 2007, hopefully they'll finally release something!

Wow, NOT my cup of tea at all. Not saying it's bad,it is good for what it is. Just not for me.