First Spin Impressions

JustJason

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Gält - Served Hot

I have to say it was worth the wait 'cose these Ukrainian youngsters made a perfect sleaze metal album for us - and I'm not kidding. Awesome songs from A to Z, plus great production and cool twin guitar harmonies. So, after the first spin it just sounds fuckin' excellent to me!

John Gält - Served Hot

I have to say it was worth the wait 'cose these Ukrainian youngsters made a perfect sleaze metal album for us - and I'm not kidding. Awesome songs from A to Z, plus great production and cool twin guitar harmonies. So, after the first spin it just sounds fuckin' excellent to me!

I heard this today too. I think a few tracks miss the mark, but there are some very good tunes on here. Overall, I think this is much better than the Addiction For Destruction CD that was last year, of similar style.

Heaven's Basement - Filthy Empire

A long time coming this one and to be really honest i'm not sure about it after a couple of spins. I much preferred the more old school sound of the Roadstar stuff and even the excellent 1st Heaven's Basement EP. they put out in '08..and hence why I think the best track on here is the revamped 'Executioners Day' from the very same EP. I dunno, they had huge potential a few years ago and really were one of the shining lights, but now to my ears, even though they are still a good band, they just sound like thousands of others doing this type of stuff, I shall persevere with it though.

You sealed the deal for me to pass on this one.

As you did I loved the Roadstar/1st HB EP. The original singer was awesome and the band died when he left.

Either hang it up or change the name IMO.

Wes, have you seriously passed on this disc?

You would frickin love this album!!

Believe me.

A long time coming this one and to be really honest i'm not sure about it after a couple of spins. I much preferred the more old school sound of the Roadstar stuff and even the excellent 1st Heaven's Basement EP. they put out in '08..and hence why I think the best track on here is the revamped 'Executioners Day' from the very same EP. I dunno, they had huge potential a few years ago and really were one of the shining lights, but now to my ears, even though they are still a good band, they just sound like thousands of others doing this type of stuff, I shall persevere with it though.

As you did I loved the Roadstar/1st HB EP. The original singer was awesome and the band died when he left.

Believe me.

Does it sound like Roadstar and the 1st EP?

I miss the old singer.

Believe me.

I miss the old singer.

More modern sound like the 2nd EP.. i really miss the old singer too.

Believe me.

I miss the old singer.

More modern sound like the 2nd EP.. i really miss the old singer too.

I haven't heard the old stuff but this is still a serious rock disc. I love every track.

Hardcore Superstar - C'mon Take On Me

Great album, typical HS quality, but I've got a feeling that I will prefer their previous two albums (and the new John Gält stuff) to this one.

This is more melodic than their previous stuff. All the last 5 albums are great though - so hard to say what is better when all hover around 90%. Just glad they are so consistently good.

Great album, typical HS quality, but I've got a feeling that I will prefer their previous two albums (and the new John Gält stuff) to this one.

This is more melodic than their previous stuff. All the last 5 albums are great though - so hard to say what is better when all hover around 90%. Just glad they are so consistently good.

Is this one 80s hair metal-sounding? I Had 'Beg For It' and found it either too punkish or modern-sounding for my tastes (can't remember which; it was a while ago).

Is this one 80s hair metal-sounding? I Had 'Beg For It' and found it either too punkish or modern-sounding for my tastes (can't remember which; it was a while ago).

If the last one was too modern for you odds are this one will be too. Personally, I don't hear it, but to each their own. The choruses are bigger and catchier on this disc, but they're true to the sound of their last bunch of discs, so if you didn't like 'em before, skip it. And miss out. ;)

If the last one was too modern for you odds are this one will be too. Personally, I don't hear it, but to each their own. The choruses are bigger and catchier on this disc, but they're true to the sound of their last bunch of discs, so if you didn't like 'em before, skip it. And miss out. ;)

modern? WTF. I've heard it all now.

Yeah, if it wasn't James I'd be angry, but I like James so I'll stay civil. :lol: I don't hear an ounce of "modern" in it either, but more to the point, so what if I did? Is good not good and bad not bad? Why can't it just be that simple? Don't get me started... ;)

Yeah, if it wasn't James I'd be angry, but I like James so I'll stay civil. :lol: I don't hear an ounce of "modern" in it either, but more to the point, so what if I did? Is good not good and bad not bad? Why can't it just be that simple? Don't get me started... ;)

personally I cant understand why anyone wouldnt love this band.....every release since s/t has been packed full of awesome sleazy bordering on melodic hard rock imo.

Immense band.

If the last one was too modern for you odds are this one will be too. Personally, I don't hear it, but to each their own. The choruses are bigger and catchier on this disc, but they're true to the sound of their last bunch of discs, so if you didn't like 'em before, skip it. And miss out. wink.png

Yeah, if it wasn't James I'd be angry, but I like James so I'll stay civil. lol.gif I don't hear an ounce of "modern" in it either, but more to the point, so what if I did? Is good not good and bad not bad? Why can't it just be that simple? Don't get me started... wink.png

personally I cant understand why anyone wouldnt love this band.....every release since s/t has been packed full of awesome sleazy bordering on melodic hard rock imo.

Immense band.

Modern? I'd rather say heavy, James.

And Glen is right, my main problem is that this one is more melodic than the others. But it's great, that's not a question.

If the last one was too modern for you odds are this one will be too. Personally, I don't hear it, but to each their own. The choruses are bigger and catchier on this disc, but they're true to the sound of their last bunch of discs, so if you didn't like 'em before, skip it. And miss out. wink.png

Yeah, if it wasn't James I'd be angry, but I like James so I'll stay civil. lol.gif I don't hear an ounce of "modern" in it either, but more to the point, so what if I did? Is good not good and bad not bad? Why can't it just be that simple? Don't get me started... wink.png

Immense band.

Modern? I'd rather say heavy, James.

And Glen is right, my main problem is that this one is more melodic than the others. But it's great, that's not a question.

I did say modern or punkish and I wasn't sure which. Maybe there's a slight punk element to it, I don't know. All I know is that I had 'Beg For It' and only liked 1 or 2 songs.

• 1 year later...
  • My Little Pony

Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair

I haven't posted much in here, as I don't really believe in giving impressions after one spin, but I heard this for the first time on the plane back home from Baltimore, and I was completely blown away. This is a seriously good album. I was pleasantly surprised, as I didn't know what to expect. I've been praising some of the new boys on the scene - St. Lucia, especially - but after hearing this, I can see where they got their sound.

• 4 months later...

What do ya say, Peeps? Let's get this thread going again...

Dead On Arrival - Alive and Kickin' (1995)

I found this in my local thrift store last week... when I first saw the "DOA" on the cover, I thought it was an album by the long running Canadian punk band. Looking closer, I saw that it was actually an indie release by a New York area hard rock band. I'd never heard of 'em but I recognized bassist Mike LePond's name (he's in Symphony X now) when I looked thru the booklet and noticed they also gave a shout out to long forgotten Jersey metal legends Heathens Rage (!) in the thanks list, which made this disc intriguing/weird enough for me to risk a dollar on.

When I got it home and pressed "play" ....yep, it was pretty much what I expected to hear - a low budget recording of a local yokel bar band playing out their KISS/Judas Priest/Motley Crue fantasies. Some of the riffs are OK and the singer's got a decent voice but as a whole, this album never rises above "generic." Tracks include "Girl Next Door," "Hot Blooded/Cold Hearted," "Hot Babes" (yes, really!) and "Honey Dipper." This was released in 1995? Good Lord, it would've been hopelessly out of date even in 1985!!

I couldn't find much info on this disc on the Net (it's not even in the H.H. database!) but it does have a RateYourMusic entry... when I added it to my "collection" there, it sez I'm one of only two RYM members who own the CD. The other guy turned out to be.... the drummer for this band. :rofl2: He gave it a five star rating, which pretty much sez it all, I think.

The same guy has a Facebook page for the band (who are apparently still active, with an entirely different lineup aside from Drummer Guy) ...where he describes Dead On Arrival as "The New York Metal Marvels!" and trumpets the fact that they're opening for Richie Scarlett (former Ace Frehley guitarist) at some dive bar ... ummmm, yeah, OK, pal. Whatever you say. :rolleyes:

As an interesting and obscure collectible this was a cool pickup, but as a listening experience... bleah!

• 1 month later...

What do ya say, Peeps? Let's get this thread going again...

Agreed. This is the thread that kept me coming back and finally becoming a member of this great community.

Vega - Stereo Messiah

Yep, only at first spin stage. I usually dont post a first spin verdict as I believe albums need time to grow, but I thought I would for this as this is the main point in question. Firstly let me just say that I really like this band and am probably seeing them live this Saturday. That said, this slightly disappointed me on first listen. The production is great and it rocks harder in general, but I found the whole thing a bit 'shrill', frantic and very very samey. To explain, I enjoyed it enough while playing through, but couldnt remember hardly one song afterwards......in fact I had a Brother Firetribe song stuck in my head. So in summary...pretty good, not as good as the previous 2 (at the moment), but I feel it will grow..........a fair bit. Still looking forward to seeing them live.

Vega - Stereo Messiah

Yep, only at first spin stage. I usually dont post a first spin verdict as I believe albums need time to grow, but I thought I would for this as this is the main point in question. Firstly let me just say that I really like this band and am probably seeing them live this Saturday. That said, this slightly disappointed me on first listen. The production is great and it rocks harder in general, but I found the whole thing a bit 'shrill', frantic and very very samey. To explain, I enjoyed it enough while playing through, but couldnt remember hardly one song afterwards......in fact I had a Brother Firetribe song stuck in my head. So in summary...pretty good, not as good as the previous 2 (at the moment), but I feel it will grow..........a fair bit. Still looking forward to seeing them live.

I have the same problem as you with the 2nd album. The first album was excellent. But ive spun the 2nd one many times, great songs... 5 mins later though i cant remember any.

• My Little Pony

Vega - Stereo Messiah

I have the same problem as you with the 2nd album. The first album was excellent. But ive spun the 2nd one many times, great songs... 5 mins later though i cant remember any.

I have the same problem. Five minutes into either album, and I'm thinking, "Why the f*ck am I listening to this?!"

Oh, wait... that's a bit different than what you said.

Vega - Stereo Messiah

I have the same problem. Five minutes into either album, and I'm thinking, "Why the f*ck am I listening to this?!"

Oh, wait... that's a bit different than what you said.

Well I certainly have not the same problem. 'She walks alone' is probably the most common song in my head basically since I first heard the 2nd Vega album at the back end of 2012. Don't ask me why, it's just there. 'Not there for you,' 'You can't run' and 'Hands in the air' aren't far behind. In a time when I listen to so much music I actually don't expect anything particular to ever stick in my head, Vega is one of, if not the only band to achieve that.

Like Glen, I've only got to spin the new one once and I don't have any of it's songs in my head, nor would I expect to, or have I ever had songs in my head from an album I've spun once. Jesus wept alone in the dark, nude and unsure of his decisions, what do you think this is, guys? A sex party? Give the album a few spins to sink in. Except, Matt who says he's sone this - you just need to get Jesus out of your head and allow Vega in. And Nolan, you just need to stop having awful taste in music... and the Jesus thing applies for you too. I have fists that need a good workout.

Nah, but seriously, love the new disc and I expect that by the end of the year it's songs will be well embedded in my skull.