2024 The year the music died?

It's 2nd week of February and another Thursday evening looking for new releases tomorrow that I want to hear and again nothing. 

Sivert Hoyem's album aside, which isn't melodic rock there's been nothing for me this year. Nothing.

Is the game over or will there be a slew of great releases coming soon?  

• 2023 Gold Donors

Usually after Christmas there’s a lull . I’ve bought two 2024 releases and I think that the Russell/ Guns CD is pretty good 

• Like 1

• My Little Pony
5 hours ago, PeterS said:

It's 2nd week of February and another Thursday evening looking for new releases tomorrow that I want to hear and again nothing. 

Sivert Hoyem's album aside, which isn't melodic rock there's been nothing for me this year. Nothing.

Did you not care for the Striker album?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nyoilers said:

Usually after Christmas there’s a lull . I’ve bought two 2024 releases and I think that the Russell/ Guns CD is pretty good 

Me too, and agree. In 2023 I think I'd only bought about 6 new releases by March but by the end of the year I had over 50.

• Like 1

• My Little Pony

I find the first few months are write offs for me, personally. If something is released in January, I very likely will miss it, or I'll listen to it a couple times, and then quickly forget about it. January and February are the months I catch up on everything I missed the previous year. I go through @Jez year end list (the only Top 5 that matters ;} ) and then check out the major crossovers on the other member's lists. And because Jezzer fucked up by not having ModX, Steve Lukather, or Boys From Heaven in his Top 5, I have an even greater workload than usual. 

• Haha 1

Was the Grand album not released where all y'all at? 

Two very nice albums from Grand and Striker, a great EP from The Darkest Moment, and very decent albums from Emil Bulls, Dead By April, Notorious and Revolution Saints... not to mention, album of the year released in early March by The Broken View.

As noted, I think most starts of years are always slow, but I don't think this too abnormally slow... I don't think? Maybe it is, but it's not completely bare. 

9 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Did you not care for the Striker album?

That one I've missed and will load up. 

The Russel/Guns album I tried but found too dreadful to get to the end. . 

Just got Revolution Saints on and it's more formula than a baby store. 

• Haha 1

yea, 2024 looks like it's gonna blow, not sure I'll even be able to make a top 10 list for the first time ever.  I think some of my fav bands will have something in 2025 though.  Hopefully Beast In Black, Battle Beast, NFO, The Pretty Reckless and Harem Scarem for starters.  

I like Hooked, Psycho City, Hollywood Vampires and Vicious Circle but that Russell/Guns album does nothing for me; same with that Striker album that every one is gushing over, and Revolution Saints is just more assembly line crap from Frontiers. 

Amaranthe in a couple weeks, then W.E.T later in the year and that's about it, hopefully more stuff gets announced as the year goes on.  

5 hours ago, Geoff said:

Was the Grand album not released where all y'all at? 

Two very nice albums from Grand and Striker, a great EP from The Darkest Moment, and very decent albums from Emil Bulls, Dead By April, Notorious and Revolution Saints... not to mention, album of the year released in early March by The Broken View.

As noted, I think most starts of years are always slow, but I don't think this too abnormally slow... I don't think? Maybe it is, but it's not completely bare. 

Grand and Striker are the two 2024 albums I have gotten so far. But due to a career change I won't be buying much from March for the rest of the year, unfortunately.

• My Little Pony
30 minutes ago, auslander said:

Grand and Striker are the two 2024 albums I have gotten so far. But due to a career change I won't be buying much from March for the rest of the year, unfortunately.

Change back to the other career then. 

• Haha 1

Been a very slow start for me also.  

I always have a current year playlist with that's years releases I dig....And so far, I haven't even started that playlist for 2024.

There's just been nothing of interest to me so far.  All my listening has just been diving into older releases.

I think it's going to be a very slow year for my tastes.  I'm looking forward to new Kissin' Dynamite but being they haven't even released a single yet, I'm sure that's at least a good 4-5 months away from release.  Maverick is another on my list but last I knew they were still recording so that will probably be toward the end of the year also.

I think just about every band I follow has come out with a new album in the past 2-3 years which was mostly all the result of them working on stuff during covid to varying degrees.  I feel like all that stuff is through the pipe now and this is shaping up to be a very slow year.

Hopefully some stuff comes along that surprises me.

On 2/9/2024 at 7:38 AM, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I find the first few months are write offs for me, personally. If something is released in January, I very likely will miss it, or I'll listen to it a couple times, and then quickly forget about it. January and February are the months I catch up on everything I missed the previous year. I go through @Jez year end list (the only Top 5 that matters ;} ) and then check out the major crossovers on the other member's lists. And because Jezzer fucked up by not having ModX, Steve Lukather, or Boys From Heaven in his Top 5, I have an even greater workload than usual. 

Yep..I fucked up ;)...but...all three of those you mentioned feature very highly in my list. It's just that my top 5 were so good, they got edged out.

New albums by Accept, Judas Priest, and Bruce Dickinson are due in the next couple of months. Works for me. 

• Like 2

On 2/8/2024 at 9:15 PM, PeterS said:

I think the Gotus disc was very good...also Saxons new album

• Like 1

Serveral albums I am looking forward to already.

Durbin, Priest & Mick Mars for starters. There is the new Crazy Lixx too, but obviously its got a lot of old stuff re-recorded on it, but I am still looking forward to picking it up.

Also hoping that the recent single by The Warning is a sign of a new album this year.

So much stuff these days only gets announced a short time before release, so I for one am not worried that it will be a bad year.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's been a slow start to 2024 for me as well, with Saxon (excellent!), Russell/Guns (very good IMO), and Revolution Saints (decent, with 2-3 really good tunes) being my only purchases so far (Striker & Notorious are on the way actually), but there are  a few coming up that I'm looking forward to...

Honeymoon Suite - Alive

Blackberry Smoke - Be Right Here

Crazy Lixx - Two Shots at Glory

Art of Anarchy - Let There Be Anarchy

Ace Frehley - 10,000 Volts

Mick Mars - The Other Side of Mars

Judas Priest - Invincible Shield

Bruce Dickinson - The Mandrake Project 

Accept - Humanoid

Stryper and Bon Jovi will have new ones later this year as well. Really looking forward to the Stryper, and I'm sure I'll wind up picking up the new Bon Jovi even if I don't like it myself, as the wife will probably want a copy anyway... <_<

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to new Lebrock, Vain (due May apparently), Tremonti, Paul Laine solo, The Effect, WET, Kissin Dynamite & Nestor.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Glen said:

I'm looking forward to new Lebrock, Vain (due May apparently), Tremonti, Paul Laine solo, The Effect, WET, Kissin Dynamite & Nestor.

That's a good list. I feel every year people say "rock is dead". It's still going, it's just more underground these days, that's all.

• 2023 Gold Donors
2 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Am I hearing a new Vain album could drop any moment? Why is nobody talking about this?

I'll talk about it

As of Valentines day 2024 it is looking like the music has indeed died.

Misses so far for me this year:

Striker – Ultrapower (vocals are weak as are the songs, Live To Fight Another Day was the only passable song.)

Russell – Guns – Medusa (album is not terrible it’s just kinda blah, I’m guessing having ADV as a writer and producer would be the reason why.)

Grand – Second To None (Achille’s Heel is a good song, there are a few other ok songs with the rest being a pass.)

Gotus – Gotus (Gotthard fell off a cliff after Steve Lee’s death, and this sounds like a post Steve Lee album, also the singer reminds me of ronnie romero whose vocals I do not like)

Saxon – Hell, Fire And Damnation (Madame Guillotine is alright, the rest bores me to tears.)

Notorious – Marching On (wasn’t terrible but no real interest in hearing it a second time)

LA Guns – The Dark Horse (wasn’t terrible but no real interest in hearing it a second time)

The Gems – Phoenix (I don’t mind it but it’s nothing I’d go back to regularly)

Metalite – Expedition One (I don’t mind it but it’s nothing I’d go back to regularly, poor man’s Amaranthe)

Lucifer – Lucifer V (it’s decent but nothing top 10 worthy)

The Priest singles are decent.

not really caring for The Mars singles, singer doesn’t work for me, wish it was Corabi.

The Dickinson singles are kinda meh, no Zulu Lulu that’s for sure.

Ace Frehley can’t sing so that’s not an option.

Never cared for Accept .

I tried that Blackberry Smoke but couldn’t get through the full song, she gawn country.  

Tremonti is too modern sounding for my tastes.

Vain I will check out but never cared that No Respect album I’ve seen people gush over.

Jon has completely lost the plot so the new Jovi will be coma inducing.  

Stryper will be good musically speaking, I struggle with the vocals.

Bach’s latest single is good so that could be a fourth album added to the list; but haven’t heard any official announcement on if an album will happen this year.