World Cup 2022

Ponen

• 2023 Gold Donors
17 hours ago, Glen said:

gotta beat Argentina in the last 16 first.

My wife's half brother is Danish so I always cheer them on but I fear the argies might be too good.

Could it be coming home?

19 hours ago, Glen said:

gotta beat Argentina in the last 16 first.

My wife's half brother is Danish so I always cheer them on but I fear the argies might be too good.

And the pundits were spot on about Argentina being overrated it seems. Will have to win both games now to have a chance if progressing.

4 hours ago, auslander said:

And the pundits were spot on about Argentina being overrated it seems. Will have to win both games now to have a chance if progressing.

In fairness Saudi Arabia were inspired in the 2nd half.

& Argentina could have scored 3 in the last 10 mins on any other day.

Still expect them to qualify, but imagine if they are runners up!

Sets up a rather tasty last 16 game ;)

If memory serves right, I think Argentina lost their opening game even in 1990, but went on to finish as the runners up of the tournament. But again, this is 2022.

1 hour ago, Ponen said:

If memory serves right, I think Argentina lost their opening game even in 1990, but went on to finish as the runners up of the tournament. 

Yeah goin in as Champions Maradona &  co being humbled by a Roger Milla inspired Cameroon

• Like 1

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, Dead Planet said:

Japan beats Germany... WTF!......makes me believe even Canada could get an upset....

Japan's always been a sleeper. 

Canada played well...very unlucky and ran out of steam during second half before a second wind...Belgium very underwhelming...but thats probably because Canada didnt let them settle or give them the time that they like on the ball with that high press.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lettard said:

Canada played well...very unlucky and ran out of steam during second half before a second wind...Belgium very underwhelming...but thats probably because Canada didnt let them settle or give them the time that they like on the ball with that high press.

If not for a standout performance by Courtois, Canada may have won this game. They are certainly exciting. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ponen said:

If memory serves right, I think Argentina lost their opening game even in 1990, but went on to finish as the runners up of the tournament. But again, this is 2022.

Thing is, while correct, probably only Messi from the Argentine squad was alive in 1990! 

2 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

USA and England play to 0-0 tie. USA vs Iran next on Tuesday

Not a dead rubber either as if either win they will go through to the next round. Should be a desperate match from two countries that hate each other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auslander said:

Not a dead rubber either as if either win they will go through to the next round. Should be a desperate match from two countries that hate each other.

Losers executed by firing squad.

• My Little Pony
12 hours ago, auslander said:

Canada made the same mistake Aussies did in their first match. Scoring early wakes up the better team and then you get hammered.

And unfortunately, for Canada, they're all better teams. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

And unfortunately, for Canada, they're all better teams. 

Yeah I wasn't expecting them to do much as it is their first World Cup since 86....at least they are competing hard.....now if they start making the World Cup on a regular basis then expectations will rise in the years to come....

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, Dead Planet said:

Yeah I wasn't expecting them to do much as it is their first World Cup since 86....at least they are competing hard.....now if they start making the World Cup on a regular basis then expectations will rise in the years to come....

Ezzakly. I was having this conversation with my friend this weekend. It took us a while, but we're finally building up our football program. I believe that has a lot to do with the amount of immigrants we've had. They move to Canada and have no love for hockey; they wanna play football. Wish this had happened decades ago. My folks never let me play hockey, because it's so bloody expensive, but there wasn't a decent football program.