World Cup 2022

Ponen

1 hour ago, AlphaMale said:

This is my first taste of the World Cup. Never really been a soccer.... errr football fan. I did like the indoor game as a kid growing up with perrenial champions the Baltimore Blast.

It is hard not to get involved isnt it when it is such a huge deal in Europe, Asia, South America and Africa. It is bigger than the Olympics for many countries. Ask any country in the world if they'd prefer to top the Olympic medal tally or win the World Cup and every country except USA, China and Australia would say the world cup I reckon!

Personally, I still prefer the English Premier League and the Champions League as spectacles. 

One thing about the USA though, no-one gets close to the spectacle and pure financial clout of the Superbowl. 

• Like 1

Only caught the highlights, but man, that second goal the Aussies conceded was pure pain to watch. Still cringing just thinking about it. Shame, because otherwise they had a brilliant tournament. It would have been close to a miracle for them to get past Argentina, so I look at the team and their efforts with pride. Oh, and that last minute shot the Aussie dude had... what could have been. But yeah, they gave it a really good crack.

As for my Plan B, sorry 'Mericans, but I was very happy to see the mighty Dutch get through and, as per every other world cup, lol, my interest now turns to seeing what they can do. Would actually really love to see them win the thing. 

Oh, and speaking of stuff, how awesome were some of the goals from Switzerland in their match vs Serbia. Very impressive. 

• My Little Pony
56 minutes ago, auslander said:

Congrats on progressing, England.

But, how good is Mbappe for France!

Should be a good match. 

So, Croatia through to next round. Japan played well but those penalties were the worst I have seen in a long long time. No power, no precision. I guess after 120 mins of football, they were just dead on their feet. 

• Like 1

• My Little Pony

More than anything, I've been enjoying watching Russ' excitement with this tournament. Football is often so easily criticised for players diving and generally being bitches, which is very much true, but, of all the sports, it's also a display of some of the highest forms of athleticism. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

More than anything, I've been enjoying watching Russ' excitement with this tournament. Football is often so easily criticised for players diving and generally being bitches, which is very much true, but, of all the sports, it's also a display of some of the highest forms of athleticism. 

I think I'm becoming a fan!

• Like 4

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, Ponen said:

Hope Swiss n Morocco enter into the quarters. 

Do you have money riding on those two games? That's a big ask. ;}

• 2023 Gold Donors
19 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I've watched some of the World Cup but after watching last night's NFL game where Tom Brady led Tampa Bay to an unbelievable come from behind victory I'd have to say that I prefer watching the NFL over any other sport.

1 hour ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Do you have money riding on those two games? That's a big ask. ;}

Yes, both money and non stop banter from my cousins lol. 

• My Little Pony
50 minutes ago, nyoilers said:

I've watched some of the World Cup but after watching last night's NFL game where Tom Brady led Tampa Bay to an unbelievable come from behind victory I'd have to say that I prefer watching the NFL over any other sport.

You do like it when they come from behind, eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• My Little Pony
51 minutes ago, nyoilers said:

American Football is dreadful to watch, in my opinion. Far too many stoppages.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

gives them a chance to eat 8 hotdogs 🌭 and 10 portions of fries 🍟 

👊

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ponen said:

Hope Swiss n Morocco enter into the quarters. 

You're halfway there...watch this space...no Ronaldo...no surprise though,he's been underperforming for quite a while now...I think he's the only one who doesn't see it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lettard said:

You're halfway there...watch this space...no Ronaldo...no surprise though,he's been underperforming for quite a while now...I think he's the only one who doesn't see it.

Swiss getting romped by Portugal. 

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
On 12/6/2022 at 12:21 PM, KarpetRydOFunk said:

You should know that it ain't easy running around with pads on.