Used to Hate, Now I Like albums

auslander

Anyone recently discovered that an album you used to dislike is now something you actually really like?

For me, it's a bit of an obscure one, but when I first heard Wrecking Crew "Fun in the Doghouse" I didn't think much of it, but spun it again recently and found some things to enjoy on it.

WRECKINGCREW_FITD.JPG.2c4cf2561a3559c26dd6defb11ba040e.JPG

• Like 1

• My Little Pony

I don't think there are any albums that I have reversed my opinion on so strongly. Cool thread idea though. I'm interested to see what people say, but my question is if you hated an album why would you ever return to it?  

4 hours ago, auslander said:

Anyone recently discovered that an album you used to dislike is now something you actually really like?

For me, it's a bit of an obscure one, but when I first heard Wrecking Crew "Fun in the Doghouse" I didn't think much of it, but spun it again recently and found some things to enjoy on it.

WRECKINGCREW_FITD.JPG.2c4cf2561a3559c26dd6defb11ba040e.JPG

I think I saw them at Cathouse in St.Kilda . 

It got re issue 3 years ago with a different cover

• Like 1

not quite is accordance with the thread, but I saw Vain support Skid Row back in the day and really didn't like them, then years later actually discovered that I liked the debut - it was after Enough Rope was released and I worked backwards.

Also I returned the John Kilzer Memory in the Making cd, but came to love the album but still don't own the cd

Edited by Glen

I've mentioned it before, but I wasn't in love with either Roxx Gang's 'Things you've never done before' or Vain's 'No Respect' when I first heard them. That was in the early stages, though. Vain's in one of my top 10 albums and I love the Roxx Gang one too, so things certainly changed. 

Neither are exactly my favourite albums ever, but Cinderella's 'Heartbreak station' and Warrant's 'Ultraphobic' both took a long while for me to come around on. I actually returned the Cinderella CD when I bought that one, and only re-purchased it second hand many years later. Still don't love it, but dislike it less, lol. 

To answer Karpetface's question, not to the degree of hatred, but back in the day when all I ever had were CDs and cassettes and once they were bought they were bought, I tended to give everything a lot more chances than I would today, where music consumption is the polar opposite. When I only had dozens, or up until it was a couple of hundred albums... the time to give something a chance again seemed to come around a lot more often than these days, when there's a million songs to choose from all the time. 

• Like 3

White Lion's Big Game was a massive letdown after Pride but over the years it's grown on me.

Cinderella's Heartbreak Station was always way too bluesy and too far removed from the debut but again the quality of the songs sunk in after about 15 years.

Spread Eagle's Open To The Public was a bit of a letdown compared to the debut but there's enough strong stuff on it once it gets under your skin to enjoy it.

Whitesnake's Slip of the Tongue was another real letdown post 1987. Vai didn't do the songs any favours but again there's a pretty good collection of songs once I got over my disappointment.

Anything by Harem Scarem after the debut. Still there best for me by a long shot but heaps of solid albums in the mix.

Shotgun Messiahs 3rd industrial album. On first listen wtf but songs are fkn awesome. Same goes with  Wasp's KFD.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I don't think there are any albums that I have reversed my opinion on so strongly. Cool thread idea though. I'm interested to see what people say, but my question is if you hated an album why would you ever return to it?  

Ok the title was clickbait, first dislike and then later like would be more accurate but hey, you clicked on the topic, so it worked! 😬

6 hours ago, Glen said:

not quite is accordance with the thread, but I saw Vain support Skid Row back in the day and really didn't like them, then years later actually discovered that I liked the debut - it was after Enough Rope was released and I worked backwards.

Also I returned the John Kilzer Memory in the Making cd, but came to love the album but still don't own the cd

Vain, yes it's one band i never really got into it. Just last week I spent about 30 mins listening to their most popular songs, I dont know what it is but the songs dont do much for me. But i do like one of their songs a lot 'No tears for you', and Whisper is pretty good too. And a few I do like to some degree, that's about it. 

I try to give albums a proper go before I write them off.

Closest I would say would be cats In Space Atlantis.

Narnia was SO good that my expectations were extremely high and the album was average on first couple of listens. I let it go for a few months, then came back to it with anopen mind and loved it.

Otherwise I can probably pick songs.

God Of Thunder I didn't like for many many years and eventually it grew on me.

5 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

I try to give albums a proper go before I write them off.

Closest I would say would be cats In Space Atlantis.

Narnia was SO good that my expectations were extremely high and the album was average on first couple of listens. I let it go for a few months, then came back to it with anopen mind and loved it.

Otherwise I can probably pick songs.

God Of Thunder I didn't like for many many years and eventually it grew on me.

Atlantis is amazing 👏 

Was my album of that year 

In past I had no time for Ted Nugent  , causes his beliefs

Found he good guitarist with big mouth. So I went out a got " Out Of Control " box set.

Edited by Doggy

• 2023 Gold Donors

ASPHALT BALLET - PIGS  (1993)

Originally never gave this one a fair shake and hated it...mainly because Gary Jeffries was no longer the singer.When I actually gave it a fair listen I really dug this one - pretty solid stuff.Kinda sounds like a lost GnR record.

R-2466323-1604612763-5850.jpg.81c27fb60ed9c8dda172ea49ddeab77e.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Metal T said:

Originally never gave this one a fair shake and hated it...mainly because Gary Jeffries was no longer the singer.When I actually gave it a fair listen I really dug this one - pretty solid stuff.Kinda sounds like a lost GnR record.

Good call

Generally if I hate an album I ain't ever gonna like it, but there have been albums over the years that I was kinda "well it's ok, but nothing special and will probably never listen to it again" that I have later gone back to and loved.

The most obvious one for me is Ace Frehley - Trouble walking.

Bought it on the cheap on cassette, listened to it and just went "meh, it's ok". Took me several years to play it again, and this time was totally blown away by it. Dunno if my tastes were just more developed by then as when I first heard it I was only 3 years or so into my journey into hard rock n metal, or if I just had not paid attention initially, but still to this day its my fave album by him and has a good representation in my playlist mix.

Also, not such a long time in between listens, but the first time I played Dr Feelgood by The Crue, I was not impressed.

A few months later I played it again and it's now one of my top albums and bands of all time, featuring my top song of all time as well.

On 8/15/2022 at 2:36 AM, Metal T said:

I personally much prefer this one to the debut, to be fair. But I should also mention that I came in well after the fact, and this was actually the first album I heard from these guys. Memories. 

I really didn't care for Enuff Z'Nuff debut or Cold Sweat - Break Out didn't impress me at their time of release...grew to appreciate them after a while...now 30 plus years later love em.

• 2 weeks later...

Metallica - Load

I am embarrassed to admit this but the gatekeeping in the online metal community had a hold on me for quite a while. This is, in fact, a really solid album, with arguably their most adventurous songwriting ever and definitely their best production ever. It's too long and could have a couple lesser songs removed but that's my only complaint these days. This one is just killer:

• Like 1

Anyone who got into Faster Pussycat or Great White after their bigger albums, and went back to their debuts, hated them, and then grew to like them?
I think this is an impossibility.
Could also add debut for White Lion, LA Guns, and a few others to that list

12 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

Anyone who got into Faster Pussycat or Great White after their bigger albums, and went back to their debuts, hated them, and then grew to like them?
I think this is an impossibility.
Could also add debut for White Lion, LA Guns, and a few others to that list

I couldn't imagine anyone ever not loving Great White's debut, no matter when they heard it. Monster album. 'Shot in the dark,' however, I'd understand. 

I don't care much for LA Guns' debut, to be honest, but I hear it's a bit of a classic, apparently. 

White Lion's debut is really, really poor, imo. 

Faster Pussycat are Faster Pussycat. The debut is fun, but for me it's easily the weakest of their "big three."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors
On 8/31/2022 at 10:01 AM, CureTheSane said:

This is kind of the case for me with Faster Pussycat.  I got their debut (recently, maybe two years ago) at the same time as Dangerous Toys' debut, played it maybe twice and decided I didn't really like it, and then jammed to Dangerous Toys for the rest of the week!  The difference is that I, uh... still haven't listened to any of their other stuff.  My opinion changed when I saw them live for the first time with L.A. Guns and Tom Keifer, I expected to like them the least and walked away from that show wishing they had a longer set! 

I loved the energy from the Guns and especially Keifer, but something about seeing Faster live just clicked in my brain, I now return to and enjoy their debut often and you better believe that I'd see them again if I ever get the chance.  And don't get me wrong, Wake Me When It's Over has been on my purchase list for a LOOONG time, for whatever reason I've just not yet made the jump.

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2022 at 7:11 PM, SunsetHoliday said:

Wake Me When It's Over has been on my purchase list for a LOOONG time, for whatever reason I've just not yet made the jump.

You should...its excellent