2013 - Choose your album

auslander

It's weird
If you wanna talk Bon Jovi, or Kiss, or whatever, I can probably recite the songs off the albums I liked.
But mention Lip Service, and I probably can't tell you any songs off the album. I know the songs, but I guess not holding the LP and reading the lyrics etc you don't have that connection.

Degreed. 

even though I love the Maids & WET, there is no question at all in my mind that Degreed is by far my most played album from that year, absolutely love it 

7 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Am I the only one who has to go back and look at the songs I liked of some of these albums?

I have to check every single time. 

Favourite from this set is apparently WET and favourite song is apparently 'Walk Away.' Bit curious to see if it'd survive a re-evaluation, to be honest. First instinct when I saw the list was Degreed, but apparently I thought WET was a bit better. Interesting. 

5 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

It's weird
If you wanna talk Bon Jovi, or Kiss, or whatever, I can probably recite the songs off the albums I liked.
But mention Lip Service, and I probably can't tell you any songs off the album. I know the songs, but I guess not holding the LP and reading the lyrics etc you don't have that connection.

Yeah, I'm the same. I can't really explain it other than that there's so much new music and each year I seem to be occupied with the abundance of new music from that year, concentrating mostly on that and not playing older music as much. Maybe we had more time, and obviously more years to digest the older stuff? I dunno. I do know I played Hinder's 'Take it to the limit' the other day after I said I would in that thread and I haven't been able to get half the album out of my head. That interests me too. 

I've only checked back once. 2010. 

I go on what I've been playing the most. 

What I rate in an individual year says nothing for longevity. I just get bored of some albums. 

For example I know that the Stryper was a pretty good album but I have zero interest in ever playing it again tbh. 

This is why I never understand people owning say more than 1000 cds. You only really need a top 20 or so from last 40 yrs. 

IMHO 

4 minutes ago, Glen said:

What I rate in an individual year says nothing for longevity. I just get bored of some albums. 

For example I know that the Stryper was a pretty good album but I have zero interest in ever playing it again tbh. 

This is why I never understand people owning say more than 1000 cds. You only really need a top 20 or so from last 40 yrs. 

IMHO 

Disagree. I often go sour on bands or albums and then one day, sometimes years later I get right back into it again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Am I the only one who has to go back and look at the songs I liked of some of these albums?

Turns out Black Veil Brides followed by WET

Nope and I enjoy the process. 😉

53 minutes ago, Glen said:

IMHO 

Yeah, I kind of disagree a bit too. Somewhere along the way I no longer became an album person, and I'm all about playlists now. I have a playlist for each year from 1979-1987 (1988 not too far from completion) and I forget exactly, but from about 2018/2019-2022. My plan is to have a playlist for every single year and then play them is an order such as current year, 1979-1983 (one playlist), current year, 1984, current year, 1985 etc. And this gets my ears on a tonne of music, and ideally, hopefully my whole discography of "keepers" at least once per year. 

The problem? As with everything; time. It is a fucker. Getting these playlists complete, pre-digital, takes a heap of time and this is a slow process, with other slow processes outside of music also needing attention. So at the moment it's a dream, but it's the plan. I absolutely hate having so much awesome music I know I rarely listen to, but accomplishing my plan will fix this. 

I was actually thinking this morning how it's a blessing and a curse to have so much great music to enjoy. I said it years ago, but there's a part of me what would be content to have no more new music to ever listen to again, and just enjoy my collection as is. But of course I'd miss the new tunes, no doubt about it... 

50 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Yeah, I kind of disagree a bit too. Somewhere along the way I no longer became an album person, and I'm all about playlists now. I have a playlist for each year from 1979-1987 (1988 not too far from completion) and I forget exactly, but from about 2018/2019-2022. My plan is to have a playlist for every single year and then play them is an order such as current year, 1979-1983 (one playlist), current year, 1984, current year, 1985 etc. And this gets my ears on a tonne of music, and ideally, hopefully my whole discography of "keepers" at least once per year. 

The problem? As with everything; time. It is a fucker. Getting these playlists complete, pre-digital, takes a heap of time and this is a slow process, with other slow processes outside of music also needing attention. So at the moment it's a dream, but it's the plan. I absolutely hate having so much awesome music I know I rarely listen to, but accomplishing my plan will fix this. 

I was actually thinking this morning how it's a blessing and a curse to have so much great music to enjoy. I said it years ago, but there's a part of me what would be content to have no more new music to ever listen to again, and just enjoy my collection as is. But of course I'd miss the new tunes, no doubt about it... 

I like and don't like playlists. yes you get to more albums but only those songs in the playlist. I have a ton of albums where nearly every track is an 8 or higher and I want to hear them all, so it just compounds the problem, you end up with a playlist so long you still never get to the end of it. 

Steve Lukather followed by Degreed. Lovex was also a brilliant album from 2013 and was my 2nd pick,with Lordi and A Life Divided also making the top 5

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

I said it years ago, but there's a part of me what would be content to have no more new music to ever listen to again, and just enjoy my collection as is. But of course I'd miss the new tunes, no doubt about it... 

No no don't be in the wilderness 😂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Glen said:

I like and don't like playlists. yes you get to more albums but only those songs in the playlist. I have a ton of albums where nearly every track is an 8 or higher and I want to hear them all, so it just compounds the problem, you end up with a playlist so long you still never get to the end of it. 

Yeah, it takes me a month and a bit to get through playlists of the better, more plentiful years. But there's no rush. :) I also still put plenty of full albums on there, if deserving. 

20 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Yeah, it takes me a month and a bit to get through playlists of the better, more plentiful years. But there's no rush. :) I also still put plenty of full albums on there, if deserving. 

I'm so old that I used to have playlists that were called mixtapes. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, auslander said:

I'm so old that I used to have playlists that were called mixtapes. 

Haha, I remember my mixtapes. Guess that's where it all began, but I was mad for them. Even back then I had well over a hundred 90min mixtapes to cover the preferences of my collection. 

Still have them in the shed, truth be told. 

• Like 1