Steve Whiteman (Kix) to release first solo album "You're Welcome" July 2, 2021

whiplash1972

KIX FRONTMAN
STEVE WHITEMAN RELEASES FIRST SOLO ALBUM,
YOU’RE WELCOME ON JULY 2, 2021

KIX IS CURRENTLY ON THE ROAD THROUGHOUT THE COUNTRY AND HEADLINING M3 ROCK FESTIVAL JULY 2

For the first time in his 35+ year history of as the lead singer and front man of KIX, Steve Whiteman will release his first ever solo album, You’re Welcome, on July 2, 2021. The 12-song album was co-produced by Whiteman along with trusted collaborators Brad Divens, Jimmy Chalfant, and Bob Paré; it was recorded and mixed by Divens at Fixintogetmixin Studio. 

Though the recent pandemic essentially derailed the last year-plus of KIX’s touring plans, it gave Steve the chance to settle in at home for a critical period of time and vocal rest, the results of which he was able to channel directly into writing and recording You’re Welcome. 

If you feel like the album title sounds familiar, you're right! Steve explains, “It comes from a bit I do during KIX shows where I ask our crowds for a response. I demand they reply, ‘You’re welcome’ every time I say, ‘Thank you!’” And if the cover art looks familiar — it depicts Steve’s signature at the top, and a large, self-drawn stick figure underneath it. “Yeah, that started when KIX’s first album came out and the label had us do all these local in-stores,” Steve recounts. “It was madness, because we would be sitting there for like two or three hours just signing albums. People were always saying things like, ‘Write something special to me’ or ‘do something special,’ and I just ran out of ideas. Finally, I just started doing this little stick man as a portrait — and it kinda stuck. When people ask for my autograph now, they want my stick man — and now everybody can get it on the cover of my album.”

I’ve been sitting on these songs for a couple of years now. Without being on the road recently, I finally had the opportunity to do something with them. I was fortunate to hook up with Brad Divens, who has a studio in his house, and we got to work. I played all the instruments on many of the tracks, with help from Jimmy Chalfant on drums, Bob Paré and Dean Cramer on guitars, and Brad on bass. I even played bass on 2 tracks.

It was great to have a passion project during COVID, and we all had a great time making this record. I’m very proud of it. “YOU’RE WELCOME!”

- Steve Whiteman

YOU’RE WELCOME

1. Easy

2. Talking Bout Luv

3. Get The Wild Out

4. Shock

5. Prick Teaser

6. Bad Blood

7. Kid Dynamite

8. Lightning Bolt

9. Strip

10. Tug of Luv

11. Do Me Like You Done Me Before

12. Shook Me In My Shoes

STEVEWHITEMAN_YW.jpg

I imagine it'll sound very much like what we'd expect to hear from him, but will be worth a listen. 

And yeah, lol @ the album cover. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
On 7/2/2021 at 5:05 PM, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Got it downloaded on the Spotifies. I'll give it a few spings this weekend. 

I have to admit that I didn't know what the word " spings " meant.

But I guess it goes with the word download

Got my copy on Friday, and am thoroughly enjoying it. For me, the overall sound is somewhere between Kix/Funny Money (which aren't very far apart), but it all has that "jangly" sound you're used to hearing from Steve. Good stuff! :tumbsup:

• My Little Pony
5 hours ago, nyoilers said:

I have to admit that I didn't know what the word " spings " meant.

But I guess it goes with the word download

It's just  a misspelling of "spin." It's a term some of the old boys used to throw around. Guys like Fat Freddy, Faron, Wotty, and others. I use it in honour of them. No offense to the newer members, but I miss a lot of the old boys. 

I only heard samples so far, but for me is has a "Kinks" feel to it.

7 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

It's just  a misspelling of "spin." It's a term some of the old boys used to throw around. Guys like Fat Freddy, Faron, Wotty, and others. I use it in honour of them. No offense to the newer members, but I miss a lot of the old boys. 

Wotty is still us, he gets his carer do his writing for him.

Didn't do it for me if I'm being blunt, but I can see that this'll appeal to a lot of (especially early) Kix fans. Maybe not as much to those who only really chime in at 'Blow My Fuse' and 'Hot Wire,' as I do. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
18 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I guess 8 years qualifies me as being a new member

2 hours ago, nyoilers said:

I guess 8 years qualifies me as being a new member

I was hoping you'd be a former member by now.

Unfortunately, no such luck.

All the good old posters leave and we get stuck with an idiot leftist hack.

Edited by AlphaMale

20 hours ago, Geoff said:

Didn't do it for me if I'm being blunt, but I can see that this'll appeal to a lot of (especially early) Kix fans. Maybe not as much to those who only really chime in at 'Blow My Fuse' and 'Hot Wire,' as I do. 

That was my take and is echo'd in my review for SR.

I see he hired Roger Dean to do the artwork... not!

Like other reviewers here, I'm more of a later period Kix fan. "Don't close your eyes, don't close your eye-ee-eyez!"