Skid Row - The first 3 albums

Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors

The only 3 Skid Row albums as far as I'm concerned. Sebastian Bach is THE voice of "Sleaze" in my book.

Good old Karpet mentioned the great first 3 Gotthard albums and it reminded of this triple attack. 

The first album, all Killer, undisputed. 

The second album, all Killer, undisputed. 

The third album, all Killer, undisputed (IMO, but may be disputed by others). 

All tracks from all albums are my favourite, but i've limited myself to posting only three per album. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

Think "Sophie's Choice". That's exactly the same kind of emotional turmoil I went through.

For the record, "Slave to the Grind" is my favourite. 

Edited by Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 minute ago, Dead Planet said:

I loved all 3 of these releases but I rarely reach for any of them these days...maybe I just overplayed them when they came out....

I listen to all 3 fairly regularly. I really envy the fact that you rarely spin them actually. 

Do yourself a favour mate and get them in your ears to be transported back to the glory days.

• 2023 Gold Donors

As a side note, I used to own an official VHS with the videos of "Monkey Business", "Slave to the Grind", assorted interviews, etc.

It also came with a pair of 3D glasses to watch the "3D" video of "Psycho Love". Anybody else remember that? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Darkstone said:

As a side note, I used to own an official VHS with the videos of "Monkey Business", "Slave to the Grind", assorted interviews, etc.

It also came with a pair of 3D glasses to watch the "3D" video of "Psycho Love". Anybody else remember that? 

One of my all time favourite bands - So much love for Skid Row. I remember when I first heard Youth Gone Wild and Monkey Business.. I was in complete awe. Always liked that they had a harder edge than most in the genre at the time. Slave To The Grind.. I wouldn’t class that as an out and out Metal album, but fuck me it’s just heavySabo and Scotti Hill absolutely nail it.. riffs everywhere. Always really dug Mudkicker too. 
Seb was the complete singer for me, serious pipes on the guy.

I’d have to rate Slave top, S/T next with Subhuman last but absolutely not least. 

I think I know which VHS you mean.. I have the below 2, was it one of these??

71105967-58AF-4251-AD58-C23FDEAB4AFF.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
15 minutes ago, Aordave89 said:

One of my all time favourite bands - So much love for Skid Row. I remember when I first heard Youth Gone Wild and Monkey Business.. I was in complete awe. Always liked that they had a harder edge than most in the genre at the time. Slave To The Grind.. I wouldn’t class that as an out and out Metal album, but fuck me it’s just heavySabo and Scotti Hill absolutely nail it.. riffs everywhere. Always really dug Mudkicker too. 
Seb was the complete singer for me, serious pipes on the guy.

I’d have to rate Slave top, S/T next with Subhuman last but absolutely not least. 

I think I know which VHS you mean.. I have the below 2, was it one of these??

71105967-58AF-4251-AD58-C23FDEAB4AFF.jpeg

Yeah, it was "Roadkill".

I think I had "Oh Say Can You Scream" as well. Does that one contain footage of a failed stage dive attempt by one of their roadies at a performance? One of the funniest things I've seen. The crowd parted like the Red Sea.

Edited by Darkstone

First 2 are classic for me,loved the contrasting styles of them but they both sound so good,wasn't keen on Subhuman race...in fact I misplaced it and never even noticed until this thread ffs

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

Yeah, it was "Roadkill".

I think I had "Oh Say Can You Scream" as well. Does that one contain footage of a failed stage dive attempt by one of their roadies at a performance? One of the funniest things I've seen. The crowd parted like the Red Sea.

It’s been a while since I’ve watched them but I believe it was haha. Man I bet it was crazy as shit with those guys in the day. I’m a sucker for behind the scenes footage too. 

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
13 minutes ago, AlphaMale said:

Took me awhile to appreciate Subhuman. Wasn't a fan at first but it's solid.

It's a great album released at a time (1994) when a lot of the bands we loved were cutting their hair and flirting with more of a grunge sound. Crue, D2, Firehouse, Dokken, Wildside, etc. These guys adapted without straying to much from their roots. One of the only bands at the time that didn't sell out. It's heavier than the previous two, sure, but it compliments both of them. The three albums show how the band evolved over the years. That's why I love all three.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

It's a great album released at a time (1994) when a lot of the bands we loved were cutting their hair and flirting with more of a grunge sound. Crue, D2, Firehouse, Dokken, Wildside, etc. These guys adapted without straying to much from their roots. One of the only bands at the time that didn't sell out. It's heavier than the previous two, sure, but it compliments both of them. The three albums show how the band evolved over the years. That's why I love all three.

I think them touring with Pantera rubbed off on them.

Ah yes a holy trinity.

All 3 are great and I would have a hard time ranking them ala 1, 2, 3 as they each have things I like alot and a little less. I know Subuman doesn't get much love and I am not sure why. Listen to Into Another and it would fit on the S/T easily and the band are tight af and Seb's voice isn't wavering a bit. Oh well. 

I wonder what the later albums would be like with Bach singing? Obviously the Skid guys write great songs, but?

• Like 1

I still have those two VHS's + the 'No Frills' one - wore them to death back in the day (mid to late 90's being the days I got them, lol). 

I have severe fondness for the first two and a partial love for 'Subhuman Race.' 'Breakin' Down' is one of the best songs ever recorded, and I like 'Into another' and 'Eileen.' All the other songs are cool and I enjoyed them to an extent - 'Beat yourself blind' would probably be next in line, but for me to say that album was anywhere near on par with the first two would be a bit of a lie on my behalf. ;)

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Absolutely love the Debut, Really like Slave, and a couple off of SB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nyoilers said:

The reunion everyone wants not will probably never happen:(

Agree.  I know I read recently that they even talked about it but talks eventually broke down because they couldn't agree on finances/terms or something like that.

It's too bad.  I think they'd probably make some nice change and land some good gigs with a reunion.  I know I'd hop to a show if it happened.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Agree.  I know I read recently that they even talked about it but talks eventually broke down because they couldn't agree on finances/terms or something like that.

It's too bad.  I think they'd probably make some nice change and land some good gigs with a reunion.  I know I'd hop to a show if it happened.  

Apparently money isn't everything

• Like 2

20 hours ago, The Rocker said:

Apparently money isn't everything

That actually makes a refreshing change in this type of reunion situation.

• 3 weeks later...