Ronnie Atkins (Pretty Maids) - One Shot

Stefan

• My Little Pony

Some fucko already had his radio playing when I showed up to the site this morning, so I had to wait all day to listen to this. 

I had hyped this album up so much, I was worried it would let me down. I'm glad to say it did not. Not even a little. This is gonna live with me for a minute. Fuckin' love it. 

"Real" is still my favourite track. Cried again when I heard it today. I'm just gonna call it now: it's my number one song of 2021. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Some fucko already had his radio playing when I showed up to the site this morning, so I had to wait all day to listen to this. 

Yes, the "first to have their radio on" rule on site. I'm very familiar with it.

You've mentioned working on site before.

It sounds like you work in construction or as we say down here, a "Tradie".  What type of Trade?

Edited by Darkstone

• My Little Pony
2 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Yes, the "first to have their radio on" rule on site. I'm very familiar with it.

You've mentioned working on site before.

It sounds like you work in construction or as we say down here, a "Tradie".  What type of Trade?

I'm a mason.

I'm not often first on site, 'cause I generally start every morning picking up supplies. Also, I don't start as early as most. It's rare for me to get to a site before 8:00. 

What do you do?

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I'm a mason.

I'm not often first on site, 'cause I generally start every morning picking up supplies. Also, I don't start as early as most. It's rare for me to get to a site before 8:00. 

What do you do?

Stone Mason? Cool.

I work for a commercial builder. We're only a small mob, but we do a lot of Government jobs.

Refits and refurbs mostly. 

All of our trades are sub contractors. My job description is pretty broad, from laborer, to liaising with clients and defect work. A bit of a Jack of all trades.

I actually always wanted to be a Stone Mason. That sounds very cool. We don't have much call for them though. 

Ideally, I start at 7:00, but it's usually 6:00.

BTW, I can always overide the music on site protocol, but you have to respect the unwritten rules.

Edited by Darkstone

• My Little Pony
9 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Stone Mason? Cool.

I work for a commercial builder. We're only a small mob, but we do a lot of Government jobs.

Refits and refurbs mostly. 

All of our trades are sub contractors. My job description is pretty broad, from laborer, to liaising with clients and defect work. A bit of a Jack of all trades.

I actually always wanted to be a Stone Mason. That sounds very cool. We don't have much call for them though. 

Ideally, I start at 7:00, but it's usually 6:00.

BTW, I can always overide the music on site protocol, but you have to respect the unwritten rules.

Stone. Brick. Block. Glass block.

I don't do landscape/hardscape, countertops, or tile work. 

I wish people actually did respect those unwritten rules. I feel like I'm the only one. There will often be some fool who sets up their stereo as soon as I break for lunch. Once some asshole literally placed his stereo right next to mine. I couldn't believe the audacity. 

And I don't actually mind listening to someone else's music, but I can not stand radio. I fuckin' hate DJs. They talk way too much, and think they're hilarious. Fucktards! But most of all, I absolutely loathe commercials. My skin crawls every time I hear an ad.

But I'm not interested in "stereo wars," so I'll often be the bigger man, and endure the bullshit. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
52 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Stone. Brick. Block. Glass block.

I don't do landscape/hardscape, countertops, or tile work. 

I wish people actually did respect those unwritten rules. I feel like I'm the only one. There will often be some fool who sets up their stereo as soon as I break for lunch. Once some asshole literally placed his stereo right next to mine. I couldn't believe the audacity. 

And I don't actually mind listening to someone else's music, but I can not stand radio. I fuckin' hate DJs. They talk way too much, and think they're hilarious. Fucktards! But most of all, I absolutely loathe commercials. My skin crawls every time I hear an ad.

But I'm not interested in "stereo wars," so I'll often be the bigger man, and endure the bullshit. 

It's mainly radio on site. It's not too bad. The repetition is the worst thing.

The on site radios today are insane. I don't know if you guys have the same tool brands in Canada. You probably do.

DeWALT, Makita, Milwaukee, AEG. The Bosch on site radio is a monster. I've been wanting one for a while. It plugs directory into power or you can use it with a battery. It also charges batteries, so you don't need to get a charger, which is good because I don't have any other Bosch tools. Just the radio and one battery will set you back about $450 though. It pumps and is virtually indestructible, but I find it hard to justify spending that for just a radio, even though it really is a monster. I'll pull the trigger one day.

Edited by Darkstone

• My Little Pony
6 hours ago, Darkstone said:

It's mainly radio on site. It's not too bad. The repetition is the worst thing.

The on site radios today are insane. I don't know if you guys have the same tool brands in Canada. You probably do.

DeWALT, Makita, Milwaukee, AEG. The Bosch on site radio is a monster. I've been wanting one for a while. It plugs directory into power or you can use it with a battery. It also charges batteries, so you don't need to get a charger, which is good because I don't have any other Bosch tools. Just the radio and one battery will set you back about $450 though. It pumps and is virtually indestructible, but I find it hard to justify spending that for just a radio, even though it really is a monster. I'll pull the trigger one day.

I think our dollar is comparable, but it's only 325CAD on Amazon. 250CAD without the battery. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 minute ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I think our dollar is comparable, but it's only 325CAD on Amazon. 250CAD without the battery. 

Yeah, that's good, but my current set up of a bluetooth speaker connected to my phone is just fine, so I still can't justify it. It's also massive and space is limited in my "ute".

It would make a great little music box for home though. Wireless, full connectivity, the sound is incredible and as I said, it's indestructible. It would be great for parties/BBQ's.

• My Little Pony
20 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Yeah, that's good, but my current set up of a bluetooth speaker connected to my phone is just fine, so I still can't justify it. It's also massive and space is limited in my "ute".

It would make a great little music box for home though. Wireless, full connectivity, the sound is incredible and as I said, it's indestructible. It would be great for parties/BBQ's.

Yeah, it is a bit awkward in size. I have an older Milwaukee. It's alright, but I especially like how it always just seems to fit everywhere. 

• Like 1

I've only been through this twice but I absolutely love it.

difficult to put into words my feelings when listening to this but if this is the last output from Mr Atkins not only will it be a poignant reminder of a great songwriter and artist,but it will stand in its own right as a great album, full of amazing songs. 

Time will tell but for me this is potentially his best work.

On 3/13/2021 at 12:46 AM, tts42572 said:

Any thoughts on this one as it's out today?

It's kind of a tough one as we all know where Ronnie is coming from with this album.  And there is definitely a lot of emotion in these songs.  It's the kind of thing you almost don't even want to be critical of at all.

Anyways, I guess I'll just say there's some good tunes here.  It basically feels like Pretty Maids "lite" to me.  I think my highlights are probably Scorpio, One Shot, I Prophesize and One By One.

Looks like the only one so far, but so surprised with this lukewarm reception. I think the album is fantastic - so far so that if it's not the best album of the year I'm going to be real impressed with the best album of the year. 

'Subjugated' and 'Before the Rise of an Empire' don't quite hit the mark for me, but the rest is splendid. Stuff like 'Frequency of love,' 'I prophesize,' 'When dreams are not enough' and 'Real' are up there with some of the best of PM. 'Scorpio,' 'One shot,' 'Miles away' and 'Picture yourself' also well above par. 

I was more or less in heaven listening to this one. It's kind of like the PM album I always wanted which leans heavily towards melody over the metal we all love... but let's not pretend that the melodic side of PM is the one most of us prefer. ;) 

33 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Looks like the only one so far, but so surprised with this lukewarm reception. I think the album is fantastic - so far so that if it's not the best album of the year I'm going to be real impressed with the best album of the year. 

'Subjugated' and 'Before the Rise of an Empire' don't quite hit the mark for me, but the rest is splendid. Stuff like 'Frequency of love,' 'I prophesize,' 'When dreams are not enough' and 'Real' are up there with some of the best of PM. 'Scorpio,' 'One shot,' 'Miles away' and 'Picture yourself' also well above par. 

I was more or less in heaven listening to this one. It's kind of like the PM album I always wanted which leans heavily towards melody over the metal we all love... but let's not pretend that the melodic side of PM is the one most of us prefer. ;) 

Just a little lukewarm initially but don't get me wrong, I like it plenty.  There's a few tunes that still aren't doing much for me with Subjugated, Miles Away and I'm not really caring for the Dreams Are Not Enough tune either....Just don't like the chorus and how it changes key.  I mostly dig the rest though. 

Agree that it's basically just the more melodic side of PM.   

At the end of the day, Ronnie has made a boatload of great music and I could make one heck of a playlist with all his stuff.  Hopefully his health holds out and there will be even more down the road.

• My Little Pony

I agree that "Subjugated" is probably the weak point, but I still have a hard time not singing along. 

And @Glen is right, "Miles Away" is awesome. I love Linnéa's backing vocals on the entire album, but especially on "Miles Away."

• Like 1

'When Dreams Are Not Enough' is my fave so far, but the whole album is amazing..'Subjugated' maybe the weakest link, but even that is above par. Completely agree with Glen above... a poignant reminder of a great songwriter 

One By One, I Prophesize,  & When Dreams are my top 3, and I really like Subjugated.

• My Little Pony

"I Prophesize" is immense! It could actually surpass "Real" for me, which I never expected. It's just so bloody good!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

"I Prophesize" is immense! It could actually surpass "Real" for me, which I never expected. It's just so bloody good!

agreed , although I also love One Shot

• Like 1

• My Little Pony
5 hours ago, Glen said:

agreed , although I also love One Shot

So many good songs. What the WTF was that @tts42572 guy talking about?

;}

14 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Ya it's better than 'Real'. 'Frequency of love' is another killer.