Which bands that you like....

CureTheSane

Which bands that you like, are you likely to cop ship for liking?

I'm pretty open, I like what I like, but if I posted some of them on Facebook groups etc, I think they would cop a lot of criticism.

Nelson - people generally think of them as fluff, and I think tehya re far better than that.
Stryper - perhaps not so much tehse days, but early on, they were 'some weird religious band'
Trixter - were always considered fluffy as well.
Black Veil Brides - For some reason I think they are labeled emo, or whatever, and not 'real hard rock'
Five Finger Death Punch - same as above, for some reason they are seen as corney or modern or whatever.

Agree with all of the above - I would have to say Nickelback also. For a band that seems fairly universally disliked, they have released some killer stadium rockers and big ballads. Awesome live and Dark Horse sounds a million dollars. Great band. 

• My Little Pony

Completely depends on the situation: where I am, who I'm with, what's happening. 

My social circles are almost as diverse as the music I listen to. 

• 2023 Gold Donors

I don't frequent any other forums and all my mates back in the day were into the same stuff as me. It was more certain mainstream acts that I copped shit for liking. "The Beatles", "Hoodoo Gurus" and "The Cure" spring to mind.

Edited by Darkstone

9 hours ago, Darkstone said:

I don't frequent any other forums and all my mates back in the day were into the same stuff as me. It was more certain mainstream acts that I copped shit for liking. "The Beatles", "Hoodoo Gurus" and "The Cure" spring to mind.

The Beatles always gets me. Why do people find it so hard to recognise such brilliance?
Ridicule for appreciation of possibly the most famous band in history doesn't make any sense.
The otehr 2 you mentioned were never my cup of tea, but if I was to look down on everyone who liked them, there wouldn't be many people left lol

• My Little Pony
10 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Who are Hoodoo Gurus?

Here's pretty much their only good song as far as I'm concerned.
They had a lot of hits out here, but I never jelled with their sound.
many many did though.
they were a pop/rock/mainstream band.

Edited by CureTheSane

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Who are Hoodoo Gurus?

Aussie Pop/Rock group. The above track is probably my least favorite TBH. They had many hits. I've posted a couple before. This is one of their early, most iconic tracks.

On 8/6/2020 at 4:03 AM, Aordave89 said:

Agree with all of the above - I would have to say Nickelback also. For a band that seems fairly universally disliked, they have released some killer stadium rockers and big ballads. Awesome live and Dark Horse sounds a million dollars. Great band. 

never really understood why so much hate towards Nickelback and why people pick on them?

what did they do different from other similar post-grunge bands around that time, like 3 Doors Down, Hoobastank, Creed, Lifehouse etc

Edited by Invisible_man

1 hour ago, Invisible_man said:

never really understood why so much hate towards Nickelback and why people pick on them?

what did they do different from other similar post-grunge bands around that time, like 3 Doors Down, Hoobastank, Creed, Lifehouse etc

Write far better songs for a start 

8 minutes ago, Invisible_man said:

to me it just seems Nickelback became scapegoats for backlash against that particular commercial rock sound of that time

Don’t disagree with that at all mate. I’m not into Grunge by all accounts but I think there is much more to them than that. I’m a fan of all their releases and Dark Horse is solid modern hard rock album - to these ears at least! 

7 hours ago, Invisible_man said:

Never took to any of those bands, but didn't bag them.
just didn't listen to them.

I guess they are the older versions of Black Veil Brides and Five Finger Death Punch where there is some kind of movement against them for whatever reason.
Too screamo, too modern. I'm not sure.
Maybe others can comment of why they don't like them and what genre they are lumped in to.
But I like them both.

Another one might be Papa Roach.
I never really did them, until recentlyand was reallty surprised at the catalogue.

• 2023 Gold Donors
7 minutes ago, Dead Planet said:

Always liked Nirvana even though most people on this forum blame them for the grunge wave.....also I don't mind occasionally listening to Johnny Cash and Gordon Lightfoot....

Agree about Nirvana (liking them, that is).

Well, in the circles I move in, I am frowned upon for every single "hair metal" band I listen too - everything we come to this site for. 

The others bands mentioned so far in this thread, whilst also being frowned upon, would be considered far less shameful than 80's hair bands. 

That said, I'm very embarrassed about every christian rock band I listen to and cop any criticism of that on the chin. It's warranted and that's cool. Call me a glutton for punishment, I guess. 

I like Nickelback too, but yeah, you never find someone on the same page there. Surprised to see a couple of fans of Blind 182 and Sum 41 here, lol. 

As for Black Veil Brides... CTS, mate, I'll lay it down for you. I don't think they attract criticism because they are labeled emo, or whatever, and not 'real hard rock.' I think it's got more to do with the fact that they are absolutely, undisputedly fucking terrible, lol. And this is coming from someone who loves this style of modern rock and has listened to all their albums, including the wretched new rework of their debut. I keep punishing myself in a car crash kind of way, but seriously, whether you like them or not, you surely must admit to yourself they're just absolutely fucking horrible? Worst vocalist in a modern rock band I can think of. In recent years Gary Hughes (Ten) started to grate on me a bit,  but this guy's his clone only 10 times worse. Painful, lol. But like I said above, I'm a glutton for punishment, so I'll check out their next album too. ;)

Edited by Geoff

Yeah, I can see how you may not like the vocals.
I never liked Ozzy's, Lemmy's, Mark Slaughter with Vinnie Vincent or that dude who sung that "I Believe In A Think Called Love"
Also many ohehrs that people seem to froth.

• 2 weeks later...