Bon Jovi - "2020" (2020)

AlphaMale

https://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/jon-bon-jovi-opens-up-about-bon-jovis-weighty-new-album-2020/

Jon Bon Jovi opens up about Bon Jovi's weighty new album '2020'

Tuesday, September 17th, 2019 10:27am

By Scott Colothan  @scottcolothan

5d80a6c6820bd.jpgJon Bon Jovi © Getty

Jon Bon Jovi has described Bon Jovi’s upcoming new album ‘Bon Jovi: 2020’ as “a real statement record”.

The titular frontman first revealed the album’s title on his Runaway to Paradise Mediterranean cruise back in August, and in a fresh interview with Extra, he has now spoken about it further.

Despite the connotations of the title linking it to the 2020 Presidential campaign, staunch Democrat Jon Bon Jovi insists “it’s not political.”

“The album is called ‘2020,’” Bon Jovi explained. “It’s a real statement record… It’s not political, but it’s very socially conscious, you know, just awareness of so many things going on in the world right now… whether it is the environment or politics, it’s the wider array of things that need our attention right now.

“The Amazon is burning and the hurricanes are flooding and people need to bond together. We're all in this together at the end of the day.”

Jon Bon Jovi first revealed Bon Jovi had commenced work on the follow-up to 2016’s ‘This House Is Not for Sale’ back in March when he posted two videos on Instagram from the studio.

The two 15-second Instagram stories, which expired after 24 hours, depicted the singer together with keyboardist David Bryan, guitarist Phil X, drummer Tico Torres and bassist Hugh McDonald at Ocean Way Nashville Recording Studios in Nashville, Tennessee.

‘This House Is Not for Sale’ was the first Bon Jovi album to feature new lead guitarist Phil X following the departure of Richie Sambora in 2013.

The subsequent multi-year This House Is Not For Sale Tour included stadium shows in Liverpool, London and Coventry back in June.

One of the best-selling bands of all time, Bon Jovi have shifted more than 130 million records worldwide since the release of their eponymous debut in 1984.

Fucking hell, if they're going to start singing about climate change that'll about wrap it up for me and I might have to stop giving them my obligatory single listen, which is all I can get through these days. 

A real statement would be to actually record a good album again. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Stefan said:

New video for 'Limitless'. Bon Jovi keeps on 'rocking'... ;)

That's horrendously bad. Verses sound like "We Didn't Start The Fire" by Billy Joel. We know ole Johnny like to steal.

Edited by AlphaMale

That Limitless is OK.
Can't help but feel if there were some gang vocals doing the second "Limitless" in the chorus, rather than Jon doing the fake echoy effect by repeating the song, it would be better.
Whole song coule be a lot better if it had different production and edge, but I guess with Bon Jovi, you get Bon Jovi.
they're still around, so some people out there are appreciating what they are doing.

I don't hate is as much as most of y'all, but it's certainly not great. 

Who on earth is actually in the band now? I see Tico and David Bryan, but who are the other 15 guys? 

13 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

That Limitless is OK.
Can't help but feel if there were some gang vocals doing the second "Limitless" in the chorus, rather than Jon doing the fake echoy effect by repeating the song, it would be better.
Whole song coule be a lot better if it had different production and edge, but I guess with Bon Jovi, you get Bon Jovi.
they're still around, so some people out there are appreciating what they are doing.

His music is only for soccer Mom's now.

8 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

His music is only for soccer Mom's now.

Yep, but apparently they are buying.
I'm guessing they capacity for their concerts is less these days with all the 50 year old fat women who idolised 80's Jon

On 2/22/2020 at 5:41 AM, Stefan said:

New video for 'Limitless'. Bon Jovi keeps on 'rocking'... ;)

Good lord that's terrible.  Like the guy above said, it sounds like Billy Joel, only much, much worse.  And I know there are guitars probably being played but it sure doesn't much sound like it.  It's like they took a belt sander to this song and eliminated any "edge" to it at all.  I realize bands evolve over time but...yeah.

• 1 month later...

I feel like I should be ashamed to express my honest thoughts on that. But it needs to be said anyway. Fucking, terrible. Horrible. 

I do, however, like that little guitar riff that appears two or three times in the song. 

Sadly, the rest just doesn't work for me at all, on any level. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...