Tesla - Shock

tts42572

Didn't see a thread started for the new Tesla album....

New song out there....looks like the title track.

I need more listens to decide how I feel about this one....Initially not overly blowing me away but kinda like the groove and vibe....little different than maybe I was expecting.

Could see this one being a grower.....Kinda depends on what's around it on the album.

Loved the first few albums from these guys but really haven't been into their past few albums at all.  So not sure if I'll be picking this up or not.  Will probably need to hear some bigger rocking and more melodic tunes to consider buying.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always nice to hear Tesla are still around and active. I feel similar to you about this. It has appeal... but it's not the best song I ever heard. But there's something there... 

It's ok, I like the chorus, but was hoping for something more uptempo for a first single.  Similar to the new Tora Tora it seems to lack the energy and spark of old, they sing about a shot of adrenaline but the song sort of plods along, especially during the verses.  For me it is at least a step in the right direction after Simplicity, which I thought was by far their worst album.

Edited by Crazysam

Love me some Tesla,first couple of discs are brilliant,this isn't,but it isn't bad either..it has its moments and how it fits into the feel of a full album will determine how it sits with me in the end,can for defs(no pun intended) hear the Phil Collen influences and touches in it though.

17 minutes ago, lettard said:

can for defs(no pun intended) hear the Phil Collen influences and touches in it though.

agreed, especially during the mid-break of the song between the 2:20 and 2:54 mark, it has a definite Lep vibe

Edited by Crazysam

Looking forward to seeing these guys on the MORC, as well as the Mighty Y&T...

Mechanical Resonance was a brilliant first album from these guys....haven't really been into their last few efforts, although each have had a few good tunes on each.  Hoping this one is better....

I love it! Can't wait for this one! Already sounds like album of the year to me;)

Track listing for the album:

01. You Won't Take Me Alive

02. Taste Like

03. We Can Rule The World

04. Shock

05. Love Is A Fire

06. California Summer Song

07. Forever Loving You

08. The Mission

09. Tied To The Tracks

10. Afterlife

11. I Want Everything

12. Comfort Zone

• My Little Pony
4 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

"Simplicity" was awful. I hope this is better.

"Simplicity" was... well, let's just say I've only ever listened to it once. 

And Tesla is one of my favourite bands. 

24 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

"Simplicity" was... well, let's just say I've only ever listened to it once. 

And Tesla is one of my favourite bands. 

Mine too. I loved Into The Now and Forevermore. Just really hate Simplicity. What a boring steaming pile of poop. :lame:

I was far from a fan of 'Simplicity' too. I don't think there was a single keeper on it, was there, from a band with a catalogue full of keepers. :(

As a Tesla fan, at least the first handful of albums, I for one am glad they are still plodding along and this song is OK, nothing more. I truly HATE the Def Lep influences and bologna ALL over that Shock song. Tesla is NOT supposed to 348 layered tracks of overdubs and other BS. And even though they harmonize and such very well that whole compressed Def Lep chorus/vocal influence is just gross when attached to Tesla.

2 separate bands and let's keep them that way please and thank you! PLEASE give me some more Great Radio Controversy Tesla! Which even though Mechanical Resonance was and is a stellar debut GRC is their best effort, bar none.

44 minutes ago, martinsane said:

As a Tesla fan, at least the first handful of albums, I for one am glad they are still plodding along and this song is OK, nothing more. I truly HATE the Def Lep influences and bologna ALL over that Shock song. Tesla is NOT supposed to 348 layered tracks of overdubs and other BS. And even though they harmonize and such very well that whole compressed Def Lep chorus/vocal influence is just gross when attached to Tesla.

2 separate bands and let's keep them that way please and thank you! PLEASE give me some more Great Radio Controversy Tesla! Which even though Mechanical Resonance was and is a stellar debut GRC is their best effort, bar none.

Agree 100%

Throw in some Psychotic Supper!!

1 hour ago, martinsane said:

Yes Psycho Supper was tasty as well, Edison's Medicine!!!

Yeah Freedom Slaves and the cracking Song & Emotion,great cd

btw I love Def Leppard,have always been my favourite band but I also love Tesla,2 different bands that I would like it to remain different,friends yes but different styles that suit who they are as bands.

Edited by lettard

On 1/19/2019 at 10:21 AM, Geoff said:

I was far from a fan of 'Simplicity' too. I don't think there was a single keeper on it, was there, from a band with a catalogue full of keepers. :(

For me the keepers were

Cross My Heart
Otehr Than Me
Burnout To Fade
Life Is A River

Tesla are a weird band in that Jeff's voice is so unique and can be really abrasive, or quite delicate at times.
When I hear a new album, I generally find it pretty easy to know what I'll not like from first listen.
This posted song is an exception as I initially think it's average, but there is potential after a few listens.
Some nice melodies and interesting guitar bits in it that are unique enough to get my interest.

I have no doubt I'll find between 4 and 6 songs that I'll really enjoy on this.

• 3 weeks later...

Another tune released.  I suspect many may not like these new tunes if they're wanting a classic Tesla sound.  Personally, I'm a bit on the fence but still kinda liking it for something different.  Probably helps that I'm a Leppard fan that likes overproduced stuff :)

2 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Another tune released.  I suspect many may not like these new tunes if they're wanting a classic Tesla sound.  Personally, I'm a bit on the fence but still kinda liking it for something different.  Probably helps that I'm a Leppard fan that likes overproduced stuff :)

Now that sounds like Def Leppard to me big time.

AC/DC meets Def Lep meets Tesla and I like it.

Jeff has a unique voice and it's either a hit or a miss with me.

I'm a big Tesla fan, but some songs I instantly don't like, and know I won't like them ever (which is rare for me as I usually give songs a fair few listens before I come to a conclusion)
Some songs I don't like are singles

Again like the first song, this is Def Lep with Keith singing for them, shame as the songs are alright, catchy and well done, just not Tesla.

That Taste Like is so so so very much a Pour Some Sugar knock off its borderline pathetic. "Lemon squeeze, lemon twist". Good grief.

It would be a hoot if Joe Elliot sang these new Tesla songs and then everyone would be like WOW that new Def Lep is the shit.

PLEASE Tesla, no more Phil C and Def Lep collabes, we need Tesla songs. Thank you!

I agree that song are fine and even growers, but they are not very Tesla lilke. After reading latest interviews Tesla had no plans for any new music and it was actuallly Phil who motivated them and reall wanted to produce them . So I say even leppardized Tesal is bettar than no new Tesla.  " Frank said: "Phil came to us and wanted to produce an album for us... Phil really, really helped us. I'll be honest — we were at a low point after we did [2014's] 'Simplicity'. We were really frustrated, and we were probably not going to make another album. Phil had a bunch of song ideas, and a lot of the writing on the new album is co-written with Phil. He interjected a lot of positive energy for us and helped us get back on our feet. .."