Tesla - Shock

tts42572

On 2/9/2019 at 9:00 AM, lecko said:

I agree that song are fine and even growers, but they are not very Tesla lilke. After reading latest interviews Tesla had no plans for any new music and it was actuallly Phil who motivated them and reall wanted to produce them . So I say even leppardized Tesal is bettar than no new Tesla.  " Frank said: "Phil came to us and wanted to produce an album for us... Phil really, really helped us. I'll be honest — we were at a low point after we did [2014's] 'Simplicity'. We were really frustrated, and we were probably not going to make another album. Phil had a bunch of song ideas, and a lot of the writing on the new album is co-written with Phil. He interjected a lot of positive energy for us and helped us get back on our feet. .."

Very interesting. 'Simplicity' was no doubt a lowlight in a wonderful discography. 

I also agree that this is possibly better than nothing, but I do have to agree with all that it doesn't sound much like Tesla at all. I assume there will be good songs on it... but these won't be the better ones... I hope. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another song released.

Probably my least favorite of the 3 so far.  Seems like a poor outtake of Kid Rocks All Summer Long song. 

I actually don't hate it as much as I probably should lol.  Hopefully it was just something that was different than everything on the album so that's why they chose to release it.  Not sure what kind of fan this is aimed at though. 

Found this song on YT that they've been playing live....You Won't Take Me Alive.  Now this sounds more like it to my ears even with bad quality.  Not sure why they wouldn't release this as a single instead of this California Summer Song.  I'd think this is closer to what people want Tesla to sound like than the song above.  

Had luck that one of the rare shops already here had Cd on the shelf. So I listened it once. Now I am big Tesla fan and I liked all of their albums, including Simplicity.  I struggled a bit with first 3 releases songs online and only after 10 or more spins  I like them much more.    After listening to all songs, besides great production the star of the show is Jeff Keith, especially in the slower songs and ballads. He sings especially the verses very unique , well produced voice and he shows some colours in his voice I didnt heared before. The choruses are all over the place, actually I expected more songs to have big, Leppard like arangments but there are not that many. Some are catch after first listen, but choruses in couple of songs sound without immediate hooks. Another common theme is that songs are quite short for Tesla album . There are also longer solos . some acoustic, some more in bluesy/rock way but maybe not in Tesla style like Son gin Emotrion or Shine away instiurmental part. Of course more to be discovered in further listens.

For me good music is good music.

I don't mind if Tesla sound like ACDC so long as they sound like 'good ACDC'

Much prefer great Def Lep Tesla than average Tesla Tesla

I'm also a Frank Hannon solo fan so hopefully the description above with 'more solos, some acoustic' has an element of his solo stuff in them

11 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

For me good music is good music.

I don't mind if Tesla sound like ACDC so long as they sound like 'good ACDC'

Much prefer great Def Lep Tesla than average Tesla Tesla

I'm also a Frank Hannon solo fan so hopefully the description above with 'more solos, some acoustic' has an element of his solo stuff in them

Agree 100%.  For me, this "Def Lep" Tesla album is much more interesting and sounds much better than the past few Tesla albums.  To my ears this is the best Tesla has sounded in quite some time.  Just a lot of stuff going on with a big sound.....and Jeff Keith really sounds great IMO.

I'm liking this album.  My only real complaint is just that I think it loses steam in the middle with the run of slower tempo songs.  But it does pick back up again and finishes pretty strong.  

My favorites are probably You Won't Take Me Alive, Taste Like and Tied To The Tracks.

Definitely a little different but something to hold me over a bit until Crazy Lixx comes out :)

I'm ok with Phil bringing in some layered vocals and production effects that remind of Leppard's sound, but for me the song quality isn't at the same level of great Def Leppard or great Tesla.  That said, I did give a listen today and think it is a solid album.  There were 3 or 4 songs that made me think I was hearing a leftover song idea from the Adrenalize or Euphoria sessions but a few tracks do have a more familiar Tesla vibe to them.  I did find it far more melodic and consistent than Simplicity and I might even give it a slight edge over Forever More, but I would rank it below the rest of Tesla's discography.

Edited by Crazysam

Enjoying this one also,dont mind the leppardisms at all,better than Simplicity(was that in doubt?) and as Crazysam pointed out may just shade Forever More,an enjoyable listen thus far  :) and yes Jeff Keith sounds great as always.

10 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Agree 100%.  For me, this "Def Lep" Tesla album is much more interesting and sounds much better than the past few Tesla albums.  To my ears this is the best Tesla has sounded in quite some time.  Just a lot of stuff going on with a big sound.....and Jeff Keith really sounds great IMO.

I'm liking this album.  My only real complaint is just that I think it loses steam in the middle with the run of slower tempo songs.  But it does pick back up again and finishes pretty strong.  

My favorites are probably You Won't Take Me Alive, Taste Like and Tied To The Tracks.

Definitely a little different but something to hold me over a bit until Crazy Lixx comes out :)

I've always enjoyed all Tesla albums, and enjoy the slower songs mostly so this should be a good one for me.
I've I get a break from work I may try and grab me a copy soon.
Haven't even been to the shops for 2 weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got some thoughts on this;

If this marriage had happened in 1990 or so, it would have been sublime. In 2019... not so good. Neither band is at their best and consequently, this album does not feature the best of either of these once-awesome bands. 

I've spun it through a few times, and in the end I'll only walk away with one song from it. I think 'Love Is A Fire' is a pretty decent ballad (still not amazing) and I like that tune. The rest is all a pass for me. 'California Summer Song' is horrific and even the "real Tesla" would tell you that, lol. Dreadful song that is not at all what Tesla is, or have ever been about. 

Most of the rest is just okay to me, with a few other clunkers. 

On 1/20/2019 at 2:27 PM, CureTheSane said:

I have no doubt I'll find between 4 and 6 songs that I'll really enjoy on this.

Well, I got the album.
I was wrong about it, it's far better than I anticipated and I'll take away 7 or 8 songs from it to add to their best of list.

Only heard it once, but it was impressive.
If you're after early hard edge rocking Tesla, look away.
This is mellow, more AOR then they usually are and it works.
Also quite a few ballads, which for me also works with Tesla.

5 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

Well, I got the album.
I was wrong about it, it's far better than I anticipated and I'll take away 7 or 8 songs from it to add to their best of list.

Only heard it once, but it was impressive.
If you're after early hard edge rocking Tesla, look away.
This is mellow, more AOR then they usually are and it works.
Also quite a few ballads, which for me also works with Tesla

My feelings too.  For me, best Tesla has sounded in quite awhile.

I totally get why some don't like this album as it doesn't have the hard rocking edge some might've wanted.

Still like this though for the most part.  I could do without Summer Song.  And don't care much for Forever Loving You.  But I like the sound of the rest.

I guess maybe I'm just a sucker for this kind of sound.  I like over produced stuff with hooks, backing vocals, etc.  

Favs for me are You Won't Take Me Alive, Taste Like, Shock, Love Is A Fire, The Mission and Tied to the Tracks.

haha, I really like both the songs you could do without.
I don't see it as overproduced, but it's on the 'richer production' side.

Listening for the second time now. My worry is that often songs that I instantly like get old pretty quick, and the ones that take a few listens to work into your brain are the ones that long term stick out.
This album is full of songs I instantly find to be great. Even those that are fillers for me are OK>

8 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

haha, I really like both the songs you could do without.
I don't see it as overproduced, but it's on the 'richer production' side.

Listening for the second time now. My worry is that often songs that I instantly like get old pretty quick, and the ones that take a few listens to work into your brain are the ones that long term stick out.
This album is full of songs I instantly find to be great. Even those that are fillers for me are OK>

My second listen took a deep nosedive after the first spin, and there will not be a third. ;)

Tesla - "Shock"

You Won't Take Me Alive        6/10
Taste Like                    7.5/10
We Can Rule The World          6/10
Shock                         7.5/10
Love Is A Fire                 6/10
California Summer Song         5/10
Forever Loving You             8/10
The Mission                   8.5/10
Tied To The Tracks             7/10
Afterlife                      7/10
I Want Everything             6.5/10
Comfort Zone                   6/10

67.5%

On 4/3/2019 at 8:35 PM, Geoff said:

My second listen took a deep nosedive after the first spin, and there will not be a third. ;)

This isn't meant to be bitch or provocative, but this is so weird to me.

Not sure how anyone can put this disc on and not love at least some of the songs.
There are some that aren't my favorites, and I'd understand if others liked those and didn't like the ones I prefer as much.

But essentially it's a great rock album. Light rock, even pop rock for some songs.

Fascinating to me that we are all listening here within a genre of music and an album like this draws hate.
I get that some people may give it a few spins and then think, "it's ok, but not what I want to be hearing right now" or whatever.

For example, I am not a big fan of the Defiants.
Love D2, and all of that type of music in the past, but for whatever reason, the album doesn't do it for me and I stopped playing it after a while.
But for me it's still an OK record. I wouldn't change radio stations if one of the songs came on.

Anyway, carry on :)

4 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

This isn't meant to be bitch or provocative, but this is so weird to me.

Not sure how anyone can put this disc on and not love at least some of the songs.
There are some that aren't my favorites, and I'd understand if others liked those and didn't like the ones I prefer as much.

But essentially it's a great rock album. Light rock, even pop rock for some songs.

Fascinating to me that we are all listening here within a genre of music and an album like this draws hate.
I get that some people may give it a few spins and then think, "it's ok, but not what I want to be hearing right now" or whatever.

For example, I am not a big fan of the Defiants.
Love D2, and all of that type of music in the past, but for whatever reason, the album doesn't do it for me and I stopped playing it after a while.
But for me it's still an OK record. I wouldn't change radio stations if one of the songs came on.

Anyway, carry on :)

Let's not get restless there, tiger. 

I certainly don't hate the album, and I agree with you 110% that it's an OK record. Completely agree. 

But in 2019 I don't have time for OK records. My rating is only actually 5% less than Alpha's. 

The 'Summer' song is an abomination, but aside from that, most the songs are okay. I just don't have time for okay songs anymore. My 2019 playlist is just songs I really like and nothing else. The day of the CD and listening to albums repeatedly just because Tesla releases them are gone, for better or worse. ;)

15 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

Tesla - "Shock"

You Won't Take Me Alive        6/10
Taste Like                    7.5/10
We Can Rule The World          6/10
Shock                         7.5/10
Love Is A Fire                 6/10
California Summer Song         5/10
Forever Loving You             8/10
The Mission                   8.5/10
Tied To The Tracks             7/10
Afterlife                      7/10
I Want Everything             6.5/10
Comfort Zone                   6/10

67.5%

Way too generous on 6 ( 0/100), 10 (50/100), 11 ( 30/100), 12 (40/100)

16 hours ago, kourosofsteel3 said:

Way too generous on 6 ( 0/100), 10 (50/100), 11 ( 30/100), 12 (40/100)

Yeah, I think I was being stupendously generous giving 'California Summer song' a 2/10. It's absolutely awful and the main point I made before and that sticks in my head, is what Tesla in 1990 would have thought of this song. Bring this song to them from 1986-1994 and see what they think of it, and why isn't that relevant now? It's an absolute abomination and the exact opposite of what a fan of Tesla would expect from them. Shame on you, chaps. ;)

On 4/5/2019 at 8:53 PM, Geoff said:

Let's not get restless there, tiger. 

I certainly don't hate the album, and I agree with you 110% that it's an OK record. Completely agree. 

But in 2019 I don't have time for OK records. My rating is only actually 5% less than Alpha's. 

The 'Summer' song is an abomination, but aside from that, most the songs are okay. I just don't have time for okay songs anymore. My 2019 playlist is just songs I really like and nothing else. The day of the CD and listening to albums repeatedly just because Tesla releases them are gone, for better or worse. ;)

I like California Summer Song. Reminds me a lot of Ammunition's Miss Summertime.

For me some of the songs on this disc are really great, but then I thought that about Mr. Bigs latest album and not many agree there\either.

:wacko: