R.I.P. George Michael

heavyharmonies

My wife mentioned this this morning and was all like, 'wtf, are you serious?' And she looked it up and was all like, 'Nah, doesn't look like it's true.' End of the day, and yeah, looks like it is. Very young... very unexpected. May he rest in peace.

talented singer and songwriter gone too soon, very sad... I think this news makes listening to his slower emotinal songs such as One More Try, Different Corner, Careless Whisper, Last Christmas a lot harder...

Last christmas is one of the best christmas songs. And Careless Whisper is basically a brilliant ballad.

talented singer and songwriter gone too soon, very sad... I think this news makes listening to his slower emotinal songs such as One More Try, Different Corner, Careless Whisper, Last Christmas a lot harder...

Last christmas is one of the best christmas songs.

Probably the only one on earth I like, actually, and never been afraid to admit it. ;)

I saw some recent photos of him tonight, and heard that a year-long heroin addiction may have contributed to his untimely demise. It will never cease to amaze me how or why on earth guys like this head down a path like that...

Probably the only one on earth I like, actually, and never been afraid to admit it. ;)

I saw some recent photos of him tonight, and heard that a year-long heroin addiction may have contributed to his untimely demise. It will never cease to amaze me how or why on earth guys like this head down a path like that...

With him it was the pressure of fame.....he hated it.

• My Little Pony

With him it was the pressure of fame.....he hated it.

Could have also been to cope with the fear of coming out.

Never had much use for George Michael's music (that damn "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" song still gives me a pain) but I gotta give credit where it's due, the man could sing. I remember watchin' him whoop ass on Queen's "Somebody To Love" at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert on MTV many years ago.

Too many threads like these around here of late. R.I.P. to another one gone too soon.

RIP..... Way too young and a great talent.

Agreed.

I am reading a good amount of humanitarian type stories and such with regards to George. Sounds as if he was even cooler than we knew.

RIP George.

Yeah, same here. Seems there are many stories of him being a very genuine guy with a willingness to help others... and like Glen suggests, someone who did not enjoy the fame that came with his success. Sad he couldn't find a better way to deal with it but then again it's impossible to put yourself in his shoes. I hope he's found his peace.

• 2 years later...

I listen to George's music sometimes, especially now around Christmas, I just love Last Christmas. I usually don't pay much attention to lyrics, but I must say George had some interesting ones. People interpret them in amusing ways too. For example, I heard Father Figure many times, but I never viewed it in a creepy way about sex with underage person.  However on songmeanings.com some people interpret it that way, certainly talking about "love mistaken for a crime" , and "tiny hand", and preachers kind of gives that idea, lol. I guess only George knows meaning of his songs.

Hand to Mouth is also an interesting song from Faith, kind of hard to follow some of the references in it, but messages appear social and political

https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/13440/ 

https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/13443/

Edited by Invisible_man

• 4 weeks later...