GOTTHARD - Silver (2016)

AlphaMale

silver-cover.png

New Album "Silver"

There’s reason to celebrate! 25 years GOTTHARD mean that we’ve left Paper, Leather, Wood, Crystal and China behind us, and can properly drink to the Silver Wedding. A quarter of a century of band history is a decent anniversary and appropriately molded into “SILVER”. Three months before the official release on January 13, it’s clear that we should pick the little black dress up from the dry cleaners and iron the good shirt, because dressing up for “SILVER” is only fair as the record sports quite a fancy look as well!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to be the first Gottard release I won't be buying on the day world release, or without hearing in its entirety beforehand.

Which Gotthard album would you recommend? I have ''Dial Hard'' and have heard the debut but liked neither of those. All the elements are sort of there but after listening to a couple songs or the whole album something seems a little........ ''off''

To me it sounds like a failed attempt at sounding like a good band but a lot of people on this forum seem to like them for their earlier output and I was wondering which album/s that might be

Which Gotthard album would you recommend? I have ''Dial Hard'' and have heard the debut but liked neither of those. All the elements are sort of there but after listening to a couple songs or the whole album something seems a little........ ''off''

To me it sounds like a failed attempt at sounding like a good band but a lot of people on this forum seem to like them for their earlier output and I was wondering which album/s that might be

Lipservice is their undeniable masterpiece in my opinion but as you could probably tell from my username , I have loved most of their stuff , and the new ones without steve are still solid albums to me , and I look forward to the new one , even if no one else does ;)

Lipservice with out a doubt

Why?

Because the heart and soul of the band has tragically passed away and they sadly do not have the capacity to write good songs without him. Just like Warrant could never, ever work properly again, nor will Gotthard, sadly.

I thought Bang! was about as good as it could have been under the circumstances.
Solid, good album for me. Better than Firebirth.

Rockaholic was also a pretty great CD, but then I don't compare to old work.

Most Warrant fans will always be comparing everything to DRFSR and Cherry Pie.

I like to think I can listen to each album on its own with an open mind.

Which is why I love Belly To Belly, where most people don't give it the time of day.

I thought Bang! was about as good as it could have been under the circumstances.

Solid, good album for me. Better than Firebirth.

Rockaholic was also a pretty great CD, but then I don't compare to old work.

Most Warrant fans will always be comparing everything to DRFSR and Cherry Pie.

I like to think I can listen to each album on its own with an open mind.

Which is why I love Belly To Belly, where most people don't give it the time of day.

Bang! was a killer disc. A few fillers but quite a few great tunes also.

Why?

Because the heart and soul of the band has tragically passed away and they sadly do not have the capacity to write good songs without him. Just like Warrant could never, ever work properly again, nor will Gotthard, sadly.

What Geoff said.

Nic is a very good singer and very similar to Steve and I'm sure live he does a great job. It's just that the last 2 albums for me have been well below par, overly long and nothing new or spectacular. Lots of times I felt that the band rehashed a lot of the past but not up to the same level.

I never felt that way with any of the previous albums.

I do think it's coz I love the band so much, buy every album from Japan, chase down extra tracks and so on. My expectations are high and to be honest Steve's songwriting is sorely missed.

I think if the band changed their name I'd be a lot more open but that too is not fair on the remaining members who have helped build a great legacy/career/brand. Steve's passing is just so tragic!

• 2023 Gold Donors

Why?

What Geoff said.

Nic is a very good singer and very similar to Steve and I'm sure live he does a great job. It's just that the last 2 albums for me have been well below par, overly long and nothing new or spectacular. Lots of times I felt that the band rehashed a lot of the past but not up to the same level.

I never felt that way with any of the previous albums.

I do think it's coz I love the band so much, buy every album from Japan, chase down extra tracks and so on. My expectations are high and to be honest Steve's songwriting is sorely missed.

I think if the band changed their name I'd be a lot more open but that too is not fair on the remaining members who have helped build a great legacy/career/brand. Steve's passing is just so tragic!

Yeah, you guys are spot on. The Warrant comparison is a good one. The post Jani lane stuff is good and i love Rockaholic, but i appreciate it on it's own merits. I don't really consider it a "Warrant" album and i feel the same way about the new Gotthard material. Great stuff, but just not "Gotthard" without Steve Lee.

Speaking of Steve Lee, i was always intrigued by his physical "transformation".

I kept up to date with all their releases up to "Open", but then i was out of the loop for a while and didn't catch up again until "Lip Service" and "Domino Effect" (which i picked up at the same time).

In the early albums he was quite skinny and always wearing a bandana (or beret) to hide, what i suspect was a balding hairline.

Then, when i saw his picture on the inside sleeve of "Domino Effect" i had to doublecheck their lineup to see if it was really him.

All of a sudden he's got a lion's mane and a build like Glen Danzig!

As i said, i was out of the loop for a while and was wondering if there was much mentioned about it at the time amongst fans or in Switzerland.

Yeah, to be clear, there's nothing wrong with the new guy's voice... he sounds a lot like Steve Lee, vocally. But he sure as hell don't write songs like Lee, and just plain and simply doesn't bring to the band what Steve Lee did. Absolutely nothing against the guy... it's a hard situation to come in to. It's no one's fault, it's just a sad fact that when Steve Lee died, sadly, in my eyes, so did Gotthard.

I do take each album on it's own merit, but I've found post-Lee albums to be dull and uninteresting, and anyone who tries to argue that a Warrant album without Lane has been anything even remotely on par with Warrant with Lane (apart from 'Belly to belly') is just insane.

Yeah, to be clear, there's nothing wrong with the new guy's voice... he sounds a lot like Steve Lee, vocally. But he sure as hell don't write songs like Lee, and just plain and simply doesn't bring to the band what Steve Lee did. Absolutely nothing against the guy... it's a hard situation to come in to. It's no one's fault, it's just a sad fact that when Steve Lee died, sadly, in my eyes, so did Gotthard.

I do take each album on it's own merit, but I've found post-Lee albums to be dull and uninteresting, and anyone who tries to argue that a Warrant album without Lane has been anything even remotely on par with Warrant with Lane (apart from 'Belly to belly') is just insane.

Not sure where I wrote that post Lane stuff was on par with his stuff, but interpret it anyway you like I guess.

Some people just can't move on when a band does.

That's cool, but Steve ain't coming back.

Maybe the band should have gone out and got day jobs...

Maybe moving on with something is better than nothing...

I like all those, but my favorite on the album easily is Feel What I Feel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIWZ6Kzwm7Y

Also like Bang (didn't at first)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW-AVCS7n4M

Same with Maybe (here's a song that is different, but who cares when it's a good song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fwjfeUzBAA