GOTTHARD - Silver (2016)

AlphaMale

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, no issues with that one at all. Nice ballad. Hopefully they can throw together a decent bunch of songs for this one and prove me wrong. I really hope so as I do want to see these guys prosper. Good tune.

I can't believe that people who loved Lipservice don't like some of the songs on Bang!

But that's it - i like some of the songs but as a complete album it falls well short of what came before.

The real issue is live though. The new singer is just nowhere near Steve Lee. Few are or ever have been. The guy was amazing live.

I for one will never bother seeing them again.

• 1 month later...

Well, I just gave "Silver" an all week listen to rate it properly. As a fan of their last release "Bang!", I was really hoping they would make an all killer, no filler type of disc this time around. They didn't. In fact, their's more filler on this disc than decent songs. I am beginning to agree with Geoff on this one..... do these guys not know how to write a great song without Steve Lee??

The first couple of tracks are just horrendous. "Silver River" and "Electrified" are both dull, boring, and uninspiring. "Stay With Me" is finally the first track that reminds you of why you love this band. Great song, great chorus..... best on the CD.

Track 4 and 5 and it's back to weak fillers with no good hooks or chorus. "Beautiful" and "Everything Inside" join tracks 1 and 2 as clunkers. So you get the picture.... 5 songs in and I like 1 of them.

At last, track 6 "Reason For This" restores my faith in this disc. Pretty nice safe song. I like it. Track 7 "Not Fooling Anyone" is a typical ballad for the band. I like this one also. Pretty basic but nice. Back to boring hits Track 8 "Miss Me". Not the worst on the disc but nothing special either. Track 9 and I'm starting to shake my head again. Another bland song with no hook or chorus. "Tequila Symphony No.5" and track 10's "Why";s annoying whine-y whyhyhyhy chorus..... Fuck no! Terrible.

The next two songs are a little better. Track 11 "Only Love Is Real" is okay but it's got a banal chorus that sounds a little awkward. Track 12 "My Oh My" is pretty cool. Not the best chorus but a cool track none-the-less. The last track "Blame On Me" is bland. A whimper to go out with.

The two bonus tracks are pretty much more filler. Track 14 "Walk On" leaves you wishing the band would walk on with these bland choruses. Stinks. Track 15, "Customized Lovin'" is okay-ish. But again, not that great.

So here you have it. A patchy filler fest of a CD with a few really nice songs tucked in between the mediocrity. I gave the 15 track edition a 70%:

1. Silver River - 6/10
2. Electrified - 6/10
3. Stay With Me - 9/10
4. Beautiful - 6.5/10
5. Everything Inside - 7/10
6. Reason For This - 8/10
7. Not Fooling Anyone - 8/10
8. Miss Me - 7/10
9. Tequila Symphony No. 5 - 6.5/10
10. Why - 6.5/10
11. Only Love Is Real - 7.5/10
12. My Oh My - 8/10
13. Blame On Me - 6/10
14. Walk On (Bonus Track) - 6.5/10
15. Customized Lovin' (Bonus Track) - 7/10

TOTAL: 70%

It's the best new album I've heard released this year.

A few good songs. A few I can't remember. Never really been a Gotthard fan though so don't know how it rates with their other stuff.

Only Love is Real , not too bad. The other decent song I can't even remember the name of. Which would suggest it's not so good.

I'm fairly sure I won't be listening to this again once the new releases start rolling in at the end of the month.

Thanks Alphamale,was beginning to soften and buy it. Glad I read this and am sticking with not buying anything else by the band! Sad as I haven't given either of the non-Steve Lee front CDs a spin after a week or two of getting them. Spin all of the others all the time.

Sadly i have to agree :(

I am a massive fan of this band including the albums with nic , but this new one is bang average

A real shame. I got a lot of enjoyment out of Bang!

As did I , I thought it was a really good album and was certain they would follow it up with an even better album but sadly not

I played Firebirth earlier today. I never really liked that album at all, nor did most of their fans. Listening back to it today, it reminds me a lot of the new disc. First two tracks on Firebirth are trash, just like Silver. Track 3 is a standard classic Gotthard sounding track... just like Silver. Then back to poopoo on track 4 and 5..... again... just like Silver.

I'm going to build a compilation of the best of the Nic years. I bet I can fit all the ones I like on one CD! :rofl2:

Here would Be my 80 minute CDR of the best of the Nic Maeder years of Gotthard:

FIREBIRTH

Give Me Real
Remember It's Me
Tell Me
Shine
Starlight
S.O.S.

BANG

Get Up 'N' Move On
My Belief
Red On A Sleeve
What You Get
Bang!
Feel What I Feel
Jump The Gun
I Want It All
You Can't Stop Me

SILVER

Stay With Me
Reason For This
Not Fooling Anyone
Only Love Is Real
My Oh My

And Nic used live in Melbourne and played in a band with his brother called Maeder. They, Maeder, used play at Joey's.

Really? I didn't know that. Saw Maeder play a few times, probably around 10 years ago. Remember them supporting the Screaming Jets one night.

As for Gotthard, I've been a fan since the early days but must say they are patchy. I haven't really paid much attention since the Lee era but probably should. Human Zoo and Domino Effect are two of my favs.

OK, so I've listened to Silver, and I like it. A Lot

Not sure if it's because I don't preconceive what a bands next album will sound like, or maybe just that it's more my type of music than it is for some others here.

They were never going to be the same band they were with Steve.

I don't think comparing the eras is fair. Better to compare to the other 2 albums with Nic

I made a 20 track cdr of my favorites from the Nic era. That's all I need! :)

Jeez you're generous to these guys. ;) I don't think I could make an EP. Heard this new one today, and I skipped through most of it from about song 3 or 4 onwards. Sadly, the band just means absolutely nothing to me at all. Cann't hold my interest for a moment. I think there was a tune called 'Miss me' which I thought had a good chorus hook, but it was so disjointed otherwise. To me it's just a really bland hard rock album.

I made a 20 track cdr of my favorites from the Nic era. That's all I need! :)

Jeez you're generous to these guys. ;) I don't think I could make an EP. Heard this new one today, and I skipped through most of it from about song 3 or 4 onwards. Sadly, the band just means absolutely nothing to me at all. Cann't hold my interest for a moment. I think there was a tune called 'Miss me' which I thought had a good chorus hook, but it was so disjointed otherwise. To me it's just a really bland hard rock album.

That was my thought.........I've not heard Silver yet, but 20 songs from the new set up??! I reckon I could pick 2 from Bang and another couple maybe from Firebirth which hold up to Lee era Gotthard........