Degreed - Dead But Not Forgotten

Guest MortimusRocker

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been playing this since I got back from holiday and lovin' It lovin' it. No weak links to my ears and with 14 tracks on offer, that's no mean feat.

• 2 weeks later...

The vocalist is probably one of the most distinctive in our genre.

Yeah... I don't know what James was goings ons about there. I do get tired of all the Modern Rock bands have the same vocals, but these vocals are nothing like that.

Sorry fellas, while I agree that he has a greater range than most modern rock vocalists, his voice still follows the same template and I find it so generic. Gave the album 65% overall, good for what it is, with a couple of very nice tracks ("Better Safe Than Sorry" and "Drama").

Yeah no idea what James is listening to.

Also everytime i check out a band he mentions the vocals are generally bloody awful so i take his comments with a pinch of salt ;-)

The vocalist is probably one of the most distinctive in our genre.

Yeah... I don't know what James was goings ons about there. I do get tired of all the Modern Rock bands have the same vocals, but these vocals are nothing like that.

Sorry fellas, while I agree that he has a greater range than most modern rock vocalists, his voice still follows the same template and I find it so generic. Gave the album 65% overall, good for what it is, with a couple of very nice tracks ("Better Safe Than Sorry" and "Drama").

Agree

I really don't mean to be harsh because I like Andrew A LOT and have been a daily follower of his site for, oh gosh, like 15 years or so, and he's been absolutely essential in helping keep the melodic rock fire burning all these years.

But "Slippery When Wet" and "Pyromania?" That's like taking the Lord's name in vain, Andrew!

I've tried these guys in the past and never really cared for anything I listened to.

Gave a few song on this album a listen....Better Safe Than Sorry seems okay but I really don't care for most of the songs.

Definitely haven't heard enough that I like to buy the album.

Honestly, it reminds me a lot of Eclipse and I don't really like them either.

I really don't mean to be harsh because I like Andrew A LOT and have been a daily follower of his site for, oh gosh, like 15 years or so, and he's been absolutely essential in helping keep the melodic rock fire burning all these years.

But "Slippery When Wet" and "Pyromania?" That's like taking the Lord's name in vain, Andrew!

In the context of what he is saying is merely that this album is like Degreed's crowning glory in their discography so far...the heady height. Not necessarily that this album is better than SWW or Pyromania.

As usual I never agree with a 100% rating for any album as nothing is perfect but this is a pretty damned consistent album, unbelievably over 14.............yes that's right 14 songs! No mean feat I can tell you.

I havent rated it yet but I can easily see this hitting 90%.

What I will 100% agree with Andrew on is this point -

PRODUCTION.

Why cannot every release in our genre sound as good as this album production wise. It is PERFECT imo. As Andrew says....everything in perfect balance just how it should be and a great drum sound.

Most other artists (err Nelson) should hang their heads in shame listening to this production.

• My Little Pony

meh.... pass!

Hmm... I have yet to purchase this album, but I already know how ridiculous that comment is.

;}

I listened to the 6-minute album sampler on Youtube, and it wasn't really to my taste. Vocals are a bit "shouty" at times, with that occasional kind of Chad Kroeger (Nickelback) raw sound. And the songs seemed to lack variety, as a whole sounding a bit monotone with little breathing space.

But it is just a sampler, maybe the full album gives a different impression.

I wonder sometimes if the modern production techniques (i.e. good clarity and quite loud) influences the listener's impression that something is better than it actually is.

It's the sort of thing I'd probably enjoy initially, then put it away, and a few months later find it less appealing.

Has nothing to do with modern production techniques... it just happens to be a style that you don't personally like, that's all.

IMO it is a VERY solid album... but not 100%-worthy. That I don't get at all.

I think it likely will reach Honorable Mention status for me, or perhaps the bottom of my Top 5, but it's not even my favoraite album of the first half of 2015.

Has nothing to do with modern production techniques... it just happens to be a style that you don't personally like, that's all.

That probably explains it, lol.

I can see why it is popular, just not quite my thing. Just thought I'd take a listen to see what all the excitement was about.

meh.... pass!

Hmm... I have yet to purchase this album, but I already know how ridiculous that comment is.

;}

Because you disagree with it?

• 5 months later...

I recently revisited this album after initially not being interested in it. Basically, was just looking for something new to listen to and decided to give it another chance.

I've gotta say it's grown on me. I do think it's a few tracks too long and the songs do start to sound "Samey" by the end of it....I could easily pick 2-3 songs to leave out.

But on the flip side, there is quite a bit about it I like. And overall, it's kinda different than most of the other stuff in my library with it's modern flare.

I quite dig Face The Fact, Better Safe Than Sorry, Forgive You, Touch of Paradise and Turn Around, Don't Back Down. And there's a couple other songs that are decent enough.

I recently bought Armageddonize from Eclipse as well so have sorta been comparing the two. I'd put the Eclipse album ahead of this as that album is perfectly aligned with my tastes...Loving that album.

The Degreed album is solid though.