2015 Ratings (so far)

AlphaMale

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bands like Khymera, Find Me and Art Nation are definitely NOT dime a dozen.

I wish they were.

They are among the very best recording in genre right now.

They are good bands but they are simply the flavour of the month or year for that matter. So many AOR/Melodic bands come out and release stuff every year and hardly any have any staying power. They release the same thing over and over again and mostly on Frontiers....yes to me Frontiers or AOR Heaven titles are becoming a dime a dozen. There are some standouts like The Magnificent and Treat from a few years ago. But in general it's the same 20 to 30 bands that keep releasing titles every 24 months or those band members get together and form super groups and release more side projects.

Don't get me wrong, these were good releases and they were on my top 15 list for the year. But yes, I enjoyed The Darkness more than these releases, by next year I'll have forgotten the vast majority of the songs off those three other releases and highly doubt I'll be spinning them very often in a few months or weeks from now.

Oh Dave, my good man. I am not getting your point. So a dreadful band is preferable to a great band because... well, because why, exactly? All I take from that comment is that you are tired of the melodic rock / AOR scene and looking for something new? Nothing wrong with that if that's where you're at in your life and musically, but I don't think the scene's in a bad place at all.

No different than in the past, anyway. And it's not just this genre either. Every genre will have it's standout acts and artists who pop up a lot, due to warranted demand. Every genre will also have the fly-by-nighters that come and go. It's absolutely nothing at all that has not happened for the past 100 years, and it will continue happening... in and outside of "our" genre of music.

I guess I just fail to see the point why The Darkness are something special compared to a Khymera, Find Me or Art Nation? Maybe I'm just too dumb, but for me a great song is a great song. Plenty of those on the Khymera, Find Me and Art Nation albums... couldn't find one on The Darkness album. ;)

Anyway, to each their own. Amazingly, people do like The Darkness and good luck to them. I just definitely don't see them doing anything amazingly unique that the other bands aren't doing... aside from sucking.

At the end of the day its a matter of taste - Dave obviously doesn't think The Darkness suck.

But to say that some bands come out and release stuff year after year is hardly correct or fair in fact.

Just look at Khymera - their 'A New Promise' album was 2005....'Greatest Wonder' was 2008 so its been 7 years since they last released an album under the Khymera name...............obviously Dennis Ward is involved in other musical projects and production, but I reckon a lot of thought went into the songwriting etc for the last Khymera album and it shows - its an excellent melodic rock release. Certainly not dime a dozen, and one which will be spun by me for many years to come.

I have to say that the 3 albums in question compare favourably or are certainly not that far behind Treat and Magnificent - in fact I think I rated Treat at 87% and these albums would certainly be scoring 85-90%.

Hey but to each their own.

Oh Dave, my good man. I am not getting your point. So a dreadful band is preferable to a great band because... well, because why, exactly? All I take from that comment is that you are tired of the melodic rock / AOR scene and looking for something new? Nothing wrong with that if that's where you're at in your life and musically, but I don't think the scene's in a bad place at all.

No different than in the past, anyway. And it's not just this genre either. Every genre will have it's standout acts and artists who pop up a lot, due to warranted demand. Every genre will also have the fly-by-nighters that come and go. It's absolutely nothing at all that has not happened for the past 100 years, and it will continue happening... in and outside of "our" genre of music.

I guess I just fail to see the point why The Darkness are something special compared to a Khymera, Find Me or Art Nation? Maybe I'm just too dumb, but for me a great song is a great song. Plenty of those on the Khymera, Find Me and Art Nation albums... couldn't find one on The Darkness album. ;)

Anyway, to each their own. Amazingly, people do like The Darkness and good luck to them. I just definitely don't see them doing anything amazingly unique that the other bands aren't doing... aside from sucking.

To each his own, you'd rather pluck the hairs of your scrotum one by one than have to listen to the Darkness and I'd rather stab my eyes out with a soup spoon than have to listen to female fronted melodic rock like Issa.

Music is beautiful that way.

On the other hand I'd much rather see Issa in the nude than anyone from the Darkness.

And I'm with y'all. I only have about a dozen I really love too, but that doesn't mean I'll miss out on the next great one either. I definitely prefer male vocals, but always, if it's there and the songs are great I'm sure as hell not going to miss out just because it has female vocals. It's not that I don't like female vocals; it's just that they're aren't that many good releases, imo, with female vocals. But credit where it's due if I do meet one...

1-Black star riders- The killer istinct
2-The Poodles- Devil in details
3-Trixter-Human era
4-Lynch moob-Rebel
5-Def leppard- omonimo
6-Room experience – omonimo
7-Europe- War of kings
8-Iron maiden- the book of souls
9- Hungryheart- dirty italian job
10-House of lords- indistructible
11-Bonfire-Glorious
12-Revolution saints-omonimo
13-Sweet Lynch-Only to rise
14-Ten-Isla de muerta
15-Supremacy-Leaders
16-Eclipse-Armageddonize
17-Find me -Dark angel
18-Santa cruz-omonimo
19-Kiske Sommerville- city of heroes
20-Khymera-the grand design

21-wasp golgotha 22-Angra-the secret garden 23-Preying mantis-legacy 24-Helloween-my god given right 25-Armored saint-win hands down 26- Art nation-revplucion 27-Toto XV

28-Bon jovi-Burning bridges

3-Trixter-Human era

4-Lynch moob-Rebel

5-Def leppard- omonimo

6-Room experience – omonimo

7-Europe- War of kings

11-Bonfire-Glorious

14-Ten-Isla de muerta

15-Supremacy-Leaders

16-Eclipse-Armageddonize

17-Find me -Dark angel

18-Santa cruz-omonimo

21-wasp golgotha 22-Angra-the secret garden 23-Preying mantis-legacy 24-Helloween-my god given right 25-Armored saint-win hands down 26- Art nation-revplucion 27-Toto XV

Lynch Mob, Europe and Ten in your top 15?!! You're a generous man :) You should send your list to each of those artists so they know at least one person on earth thinks they are not all terrible. ;)

Not having a go, mate, but it's a very curious list. Very different to everyone else's. Just wondering if you could tell me the reasons why you think Ten is better than Find Me? Or why Lynch Mob and Europe are better than Eclipse and Santa Cruz? It's completely your opinion and it's up to you, but I would just love to see an explanation for that. ;)

My Top 25 of 2015

My Top 25 of 2015:

Degreed - Dead But Not Forgotten          93
Art Nation - Revolution                   91
Care Of Night - Connected                 90
Eclipse - Armageddonize                   89
Santa Cruz - S/T                          88
Khymera - The Grand Design                86
Queensryche - Condition Human             85
Destine - Forevermore                     83
W.A.S.P. - Golgotha                       82
Revolution Saints - S/T                   81
Station - S/T                             80
Kickin Valentina - Super Atomic           79
FM - Heroes And Villans                   78
Naked - End Game                          78
Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls           77
Kelly Keeling - Mind Radio                77
Blood Red Saints - Speedway               75
The Toi - Water Into Wine                 75
Nelson - Peace Out                        74
C.O.P. - State Of Rock                    74
Find Me - Dark Angel                      74
Stryper - Fallen                          74
Diemonds - Never Wanna Die                73             
Trixter - Human Era                       72
Maxx Explosion - Dirty Angels             72
Talon - Fourplay                          72
Tonk - Ruby Voodoo                        72

• My Little Pony

3-Trixter-Human era

4-Lynch moob-Rebel

5-Def leppard- omonimo

6-Room experience omonimo

7-Europe- War of kings

11-Bonfire-Glorious

14-Ten-Isla de muerta

15-Supremacy-Leaders

16-Eclipse-Armageddonize

17-Find me -Dark angel

18-Santa cruz-omonimo

Lynch Mob, Europe and Ten in your top 15?!! You're a generous man :) You should send your list to each of those artists so they know at least one person on earth thinks they are not all terrible. ;)

Not having a go, mate, but it's a very curious list. Very different to everyone else's. Just wondering if you could tell me the reasons why you think Ten is better than Find Me? Or why Lynch Mob and Europe are better than Eclipse and Santa Cruz? It's completely your opinion and it's up to you, but I would just love to see an explanation for that. ;)

You should check out the Melodic Mafia on the FaceTubes. There are a lot of folks that think that Europe album was the best of the year. Many people say it's the best album Europe's ever released. Now, I'm not saying I agree with that, I haven't even heard the damn album--highly doubt I'd enjoy it--but I'm just saying there are a lot of people that don't share your particular taste.

3-Trixter-Human era

4-Lynch moob-Rebel

5-Def leppard- omonimo

7-Europe- War of kings

11-Bonfire-Glorious

14-Ten-Isla de muerta

15-Supremacy-Leaders

16-Eclipse-Armageddonize

17-Find me -Dark angel

18-Santa cruz-omonimo

You should check out the Melodic Mafia on the FaceTubes. There are a lot of folks that think that Europe album was the best of the year. Many people say it's the best album Europe's ever released. Now, I'm not saying I agree with that, I haven't even heard the damn album--highly doubt I'd enjoy it--but I'm just saying there are a lot of people that don't share your particular taste.

Usually they like everything in Melodic Mafia.

• My Little Pony

3-Trixter-Human era

4-Lynch moob-Rebel

5-Def leppard- omonimo

7-Europe- War of kings

11-Bonfire-Glorious

14-Ten-Isla de muerta

15-Supremacy-Leaders

16-Eclipse-Armageddonize

17-Find me -Dark angel

18-Santa cruz-omonimo

Usually they like everything in Melodic Mafia.

That is very true.

But I'm also referring to a lot of the links to various Music sites with year-end lists that were posted. Fairly respected bloggers and Melodic Rock news sites. Well, I assume they're well-respected. I mean, this is the only site I follow, so I can't say with certainty. But there were a good number of year-end lists that featured that Europe album.

• My Little Pony

They were all wrong ;-)

Wholly shit! Most of those lists had me scratching my head. Then I started scratching my balls. And then I just gave up on the whole lot. So many albums that were never on my radar, or any of ours, here at HH, were taking top spot on their lists.

3-Trixter-Human era

4-Lynch moob-Rebel

5-Def leppard- omonimo

7-Europe- War of kings

11-Bonfire-Glorious

14-Ten-Isla de muerta

15-Supremacy-Leaders

16-Eclipse-Armageddonize

17-Find me -Dark angel

18-Santa cruz-omonimo

I'm part of that group, and I for one don't like the Europe at all.

• My Little Pony

3-Trixter-Human era

4-Lynch moob-Rebel

5-Def leppard- omonimo

7-Europe- War of kings

11-Bonfire-Glorious

14-Ten-Isla de muerta

15-Supremacy-Leaders

16-Eclipse-Armageddonize

17-Find me -Dark angel

18-Santa cruz-omonimo

I'm part of that group, and I for one don't like the Europe at all.

I think quite a few of us are, but haven't you noticed a lot of them do? Weird bunch, they are.