2015 Ratings (so far)

AlphaMale

They were all wrong ;-)

Quoted for truth.

Put whatever spin you want on that Europe album... say it caters to your taste, or it's back to their roots or whatever fantasy you can think of... more power to you. But as the sky is blue, that album (and their current sound/style) is pure fucking garbage. ;)

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were all wrong ;-)

Quoted for truth.

Put whatever spin you want on that Europe album... say it caters to your taste, or it's back to their roots or whatever fantasy you can think of... more power to you. But as the sky is blue, that album (and their current sound/style) is pure fucking garbage. ;)

Agreed!

1-Black star riders- The killer istinct

2-The Poodles- Devil in details

3-Trixter-Human era

4-Lynch moob-Rebel

5-Def leppard- omonimo

6-Room experience – omonimo

7-Europe- War of kings

8-Iron maiden- the book of souls

9- Hungryheart- dirty italian job

10-House of lords- indistructible

11-Bonfire-Glorious

12-Revolution saints-omonimo

13-Sweet Lynch-Only to rise

14-Ten-Isla de muerta

15-Supremacy-Leaders

16-Eclipse-Armageddonize

17-Find me -Dark angel

18-Sn 27-Toto XV

28-Bon jovi-Burning bridges

anta cruz-omonimo

19-Kiske Sommerville- city of heroes

20-Khymera-the grand design

21-wasp golgotha 22-Angra-the secret garden 23-Preying mantis-legacy 24-Helloween-my god given right 25-Armored saint-win hands down 26- Art nation-revplucio

Lynch Mob, Europe and Ten in your top 15?!! You're a generous man :) You should send your list to each of those artists so they know at least one person on earth thinks they are not all terrible. ;)

Not having a go, mate, but it's a very curious list. Very different to everyone else's. Just wondering if you could tell me the reasons why you think Ten is better than Find Me? Or why Lynch Mob and Europe are better than Eclipse and Santa Cruz? It's completely your opinion and it's up to you, but I would just love to see an explanation for that. ;)

Interesting thread mate. Everything is questionable in a top list.

In a car race there is a winner and a second best, but in a personal list, It's just a matter of taste.

Often I agree with people on this site, you listen to lots o music and you are great conoisseurs of melodic hard rock (more than me).

About Europe, I hoped for a come back to "The final countdown era" I was dissapointed when I first spin "War of kings". After a few spins , I appreciated it.

It's not melodic hard rock ,Aor It's more classic hard rock a little bit dark . I understand if you don't like it, because my first impression was bad.

About Ten , It's clear that you don't like them , I saw your favorites of 1997 ,and 1996 and they aren't listed, (as I remember), lots of people think they made 3 masterpieces those years.

About Lynch mob , I think that "rebel" is a good hard rock blues album. I like everytyhing from George and Oni Logan toghether.

I will send my list to Joey Tempest and George Lynch, but I think they are too much rich and famous to care about it :D

I really like that you put Issa at the first place in your chart. She's a cool rock and roll girl and I enjoied her show at the Frontiers fest, But I'm sure that many people would find weird your choice.

Take a look at the album poll of this site , Many people like it, (also members of an Italian aor band who get lots of credit in every poll this year).

http://www.rockreport.be/albumpoll.asp?year=2015

http://www.rockreport.be/home.asp

Cheers mate.

Yeah mate, definitely all about personal taste... no doubt about it.Just curious when I see releases that I really hate high in lists. I really like Ten's first few albums and 'Babylon' - they're excellent. They weren't in my older lists from 1996 etc. yet because my lists were very incomplete, and I still haven't got to rating the Ten albums yet. I'll come back hopefully by the end of 2016 with all my complete lists for those years. :)

But yeah, I used to like Ten a lot. I just feel they've really turned into something quite terrible. Hughes' vocals are close to unbearable these days, the band sounds weak and nothing like their powerful beginnings, the song writing is absolutely wretched, lyrically and hook-wise. Oh, and the production jobs have been shocking for a few albums now. Sorry mate, I just think they're a barely visible shadow of what they used to be.

As for Issa, no doubt I will be alone in having that at the top of my list, but that's cool. I actually haven't even heard your number one choice (as the samples didn't interest me at all), but I was just more curious about the albums I actually thought were really, really bad. :)

TOP 100 LIST (average score : 76.93)

FIND ME Dark Angel Melodic Rock Frontiers Records 89.8%
ECLIPSE Armageddonize Hard Rock / Heavy Metal Frontiers Records 88.0%
CARE OF NIGHT Connected AOR AOR Heaven 87.9%
ISSA Crossfire AOR Frontiers Records 87.5%
REVOLUTION SAINTS s/t Melodic Rock Frontiers Records 85.8%
RIVERSIDE Love, Fear, and The Time Machine Prog Rock Inside Out 85.0%
TRIXTER Human Era Melodic Rock Frontiers Records 84.8%
DESTINE Forevermore Melodic / Pop Rock indie 84.8%
ART NATION Revolution Melodic Rock AOR Heaven 84.3%
CHAMPLIN WILLIAMS FRIESTEDT CWF Westcoast AOR AOR Heaven 84.2%

STATION s/t Melodic Rock Electric Cheetah 84.0%
NEWMAN The Elegance Machine Melodic Rock AOR Heaven 83.8%
DEGREED Dead But Not Forgotten Modern Melodic Rock Sun Hill Productions 83.3%
ZANETA Tales From The Sun AOR AOR Heaven 83.3%
KHYMERA The Grand Design Melodic Rock Frontiers Records 83.0%
TOTO XIV AOR Frontiers Records 82.8%
MYSTERY Delusion Rain Neo Prog Unicorn Digital 82.8%
DEF LEPPARD s/t Hard Rock earMUSIC 82.3%
BLOOD RED SAINTS Speedway Melodic Rock Frontiers Records 82.0%
PRAYING MANTIS Legacy Heavy Metal Frontiers Records 81.8%

MAGNUS KARLSSON FREE FALL Kingdom of Rock Heavy Metal Frontiers Records 81.8%
MAXX EXPLOSION Dirty Angels Hard Rock Kivel Records 81.5%
STEVEN WILSON Hand.Cannot.Erase Prog / Electronic Rock Kscope 81.5%
STRYPER Fallen Hard Rock Frontiers Records 80.8%
OSUKARU Transition Melodic Rock City of Light 80.4%
SUBSIGNAL The Beacons of Somewhere Sometime Neo Prog Golden Core Records 80.2%
ROOM EXPERIENCE s/t AOR Frontiers Records 80.0%
7TH HEAVEN Next Pop Rock NTD Records 79.8%
SERPENTINE SKY s/t Hard Rock Melodic Rock Records 79.6%
TOI, THE Water Into Wine Melodic Rock indie 79.6%

SCORPIONS Return To Forever Hard Rock Sony Music 79.6%
W.A.S.P Golgotha Heavy Metal Napalm Records 79.6%
PETERIK / SCHERER Risk Everything AOR Frontiers Records 79.3%
COMEDY OF ERRORS Spirit Neo Prog Self Plane 79.2%
KISKE / SOMERVILLE City of Heroes Melodic Rock Frontiers Records 79.2%
C.O.P State of Rock AOR AOR Heaven 79.1%
RADIOACTIVE F4ur AOR Escape 79.1%
NELSON Peace Out Melodic Rock Frontiers Records 79.0%
BATTLE BEAST Unholy Savior Power / Heavy Metal Nuclear Blast 79.0%
KELLY KEELING Mind Radio Melodic Rock Frontiers Records 79.0%

VOODOO CIRCLE Whisky Fingers Hard Rock AFM Records 78.8%
OZONE Self Defence Melodic Rock Escape 78.3%
IRON MAIDEN The Book of Souls Heavy Metal Parlophone 78.2%
WINERY DOGS, THE Hot Streak Hard Rock Loud & Proud 78.2%
S.A.Y Orion Melodic Rock Melodic Rock Records 77.8%
FM Heroes & Villains AOR Frontiers Records 77.8%
STEVE HACKETT Wolflight Prog Rock Century Media 77.7%
LOVE N' REVENGE s/t Hard Rock indie 77.3%
SWEET & LYNCH Only To Rise Hard Rock Frontiers Records 77.3%
WINDSOR DRIVE s/t AOR / Pop AOR Heaven 77.3%

DAKOTA Long Road Home AOR indie 77.0%
ANGRA Secret Garden Prog / Power Universal 77.0%
HELLOWEEN My God-Given Right Power Metal Nuclear Blast 76.8%
BONFIRE Glorious Hard Rock Borila Records 76.8%
STRATOVARIUS Eternal Power Metal Edel 76.7%
LIFELINE Scream Melodic Rock Escape 76.5%
RADIO SUN, THE Heaven or Heartbreak Melodic Rock Melodic Rock Records 76.4%
NAKED End Game AOR Escape 76.3%
IMPELLITTERI Venom Heavy Metal Frontiers Records 76.3%
DIRTY PASSION s/t Sleaze / Hard Rock Denomination 76.0%

LEVEL 10 Chapter One Hard Rock / Heavy Metal Frontiers Records 76.0%
CATS IN SPACE Too Many Gods Classic Rock Harmony Factory 75.9%
SNAKEBITE Princess of Pain Sleaze / Hard Rock Maniac Attack 75.8%
MIKE TRAMP Nomad Rock Target Records 75.8%
RECKLESS Disorderly Conduct Sleaze / Hard Rock Retrospect Records 75.7%
RICHIE KOTZEN Cannibals Soul / R&B / Funk Victor 75.7%
HUNGRYHEART Dirty Italian Job Melodic Rock Tanzan Music 75.6%
HOUSE OF LORDS Indestructible Melodic Rock Frontiers Records 75.5%
TERRA NOVA Reinvent Yourself AOR Melodic Rock Records 75.0%
DAN REED Transmission Lite AOR AOR Heaven 75.0%

KORITNI Night Goes On For Days Hard Rock earMUSIC 74.8%
GUS G Brand New Revolution Hard Rock Century Media 74.7%
TERAMAZE Her Halo Prog Metal Mascot Group 74.5%
CHINA SKY China Sky II AOR Escape 74.5%
RADIO EXILE s/t AOR AOR Heaven 74.4%
TALON Fourplay Hard Rock Escape 74.3%
SANTA CRUZ s/t Modern / Sleaze Rock Spinefarm 74.2%
POODLES, THE Devil In The Details Hard Rock Gain 74.1%
CONSTANCIA Final Curtain Melodic Rock Melodic Rock Records 74.1%
MUSE Drones Alternative Rock Warner Bros 73.8%

METAL ALLEGIANCE s/t Thrash Metal Nuclear Blast 72.5%
BRYAN ADAMS Get Up! Pop Rock Polydor 72.3%
STEREO NASTY Nasty By Nature Heavy Metal indie 72.1%
DEVIL'S TRAIN Devil's Train 2 Hard Rock earMUSIC 72.0%
DAVID GILMOUR Rattle That Lock Pop Rock / Jazz Columbia 71.9%
MARK SLAUGHTER Reflections In A Rear View Mirror Alt / Hard Rock Thunder Spirit 71.3%
BEAUVOIR / FREE American Trash Hard Rock Frontiers Records 71.2%
JOEL HOEKSTRA'S 13 Dying To Live Hard Rock Frontiers Records 71.1%
NIGHT FLIGHT ORCHESTRA, THE Skyline Whispers Classic Rock Coroner Records 71.0%
ARENA The Unquiet Sky Neo Prog Verglas Music 71.0%

ANNIHILATOR Suicide Society Thrash / Heavy Metal UDR Music 70.8%
GHOST Meliora Heavy Metal Loma Vista 70.5%
SCANDAL CIRCUS Mind Your Own Business Sleaze / Hard Rock indie 70.4%
SUPREMACY Leaders Hard Rock indie 70.3%
RAVEN Extermination Heavy Metal SPV 69.1%
THUNDER Wonder Days Hard Rock earMUSIC 69.0%
SYMPHONY X Underworld Prog / Power Nuclear Blast 68.7%
HARDCORE SUPERSTAR HCSS Sleaze / Hard Rock Gain 68.6%
KINGCROW Eidos Prog Metal Sensory Records 68.5%
ARMORED SAINT Win Hands Down Heavy Metal Metal Blade 68.3%

total 117 albums rated so far

• My Little Pony

So someone else likes the Issa album, hey? Nice. ;)

I still haven't even listened to it. Need to get around to it.

If I was near a post office, I could send you my copy which I got for 2,99 euro ( an appropriate price for all cds nowadays. The music quality is indifferent).

Yeah excellent album, give it a shot dude, after all it's Vega behind her music.

Some whine about her vocal but it all boils down to personal taste hey Axl Rose, Jon Bon Jovi, Ozzy Osbourne, Lemmy, and every legendary singers out there receive the same complain but that didn't stop them from being great, right ? :D

Yeah, the vocal thing is silly. No one is more critical of horrible vocalists than I, so why don't I hate Issa? Oh yeah, because she's not awful. Okay, so she's not Celine Dion (?) lol, or the woman from Heart. But jeezus wept, she's just not that bad. Definitely not bad enough to take away from the quality of the music.

Which, as noted, is basically a slightly lighter version of Vega.

Didn't realise so many people hated Vega. ;)

Anyway, George, where the fusk are you buying CDs for eu2.99 on a regular basis? You hinted at this the other day but didn't go any further. Where are you getting them from??

No the vocal thing is not silly actually. A lot of people genuinely dislike her vocals - whiny and accented.

I can also vouch that she is pretty poor live having seen her muller 'Spark & Flame' with From The Fire.

Yeah the songs are pretty good - as you expect with them mostly being written by the Martin Brothers - but ultimately wasted on a weak vocalist. You'd think her husband would actually come clean and admit to her that she can't sing that well, rather than writing songs for her and encouraging her.

Yeah excellent album, give it a shot dude, after all it's Vega behind her music.

Some whine about her vocal but it all boils down to personal taste hey Axl Rose, Jon Bon Jovi, Ozzy Osbourne, Lemmy, and every legendary singers out there receive the same complain but that didn't stop them from being great, right ? :D

Yeah, everything is good, buddy! Why bother... After all you seem to enjoy more than COP the latest scorpions + praying mantis :whistle:

Yeah, the vocal thing is silly. No one is more critical of horrible vocalists than I, so why don't I hate Issa? Oh yeah, because she's not awful. Okay, so she's not Celine Dion (?) lol, or the woman from Heart. But jeezus wept, she's just not that bad. Definitely not bad enough to take away from the quality of the music.

Anyway, George, where the fusk are you buying CDs for eu2.99 on a regular basis? You hinted at this the other day but didn't go any further. Where are you getting them from??

There's a German dude in ebay.de who is listing new albums all the time (still I didn't see any 2016 releases,btw). Multiple copies of most of them with starting price 4.99 euro. He had listed ISSA for that price but apparently no one cared to get it and he lowered the price and I grabbed it!

Here's his link: (nothing secretive or elitist here! :tumbsup: )

http://www.ebay.de/itm/CD-MICHAEL-MONROE-BLACKOUT-STATES-/151968765230?hash=item23620b552e:g:fkYAAOSwLnlWm~~K

I had in my watch list the latest Newman but apparently it sells like hotcake there....

I don't agree, buddy. Actually I care the less for Ozzy, Axl or Lemmy. Actually, I always remember myself having the opinion that Mikkey Dee wasted his talent there (I don't blame him, because as a pro he went where the $$$ were- although the romantic in me doesn't always accept the fact that this has always to be the case).

Of course, you would argue that King Diamond is worse than Lemmy, and I would concur with this. But, Kind Diamond's music was several levels better than motorhead's!

Yeah, everything is good, buddy! Why bother... After all you seem to enjoy more than COP the latest scorpions + praying mantis :whistle:

There's a German dude in ebay.de who is listing new albums all the time (still I didn't see any 2016 releases,btw). Multiple copies of most of them with starting price 4.99 euro. He had listed ISSA for that price but apparently no one cared to get it and he lowered the price and I grabbed it!

http://www.ebay.de/itm/CD-MICHAEL-MONROE-BLACKOUT-STATES-/151968765230?hash=item23620b552e:g:fkYAAOSwLnlWm~~K

I had in my watch list the latest Newman but apparently it sells like hotcake there....

Cool, thanks for the link. Unfortunately he only sells within Europe (and I can't understand all the German anyway).

probably because it's shite ;)

I don't agree, buddy. Actually I care the less for Ozzy, Axl or Lemmy. Actually, I always remember myself having the opinion that Mikkey Dee wasted his talent there (I don't blame him, because as a pro he went where the $$$ were- although the romantic in me doesn't always accept the fact that this has always to be the case).

Of course, you would argue that King Diamond is worse than Lemmy, and I would concur with this. But, Kind Diamond's music was several levels better than motorhead's!

All I'm saying is, we'll like what we like and we'll hate what we hate, but everyone deserves a chance to be heard. And I'm losing count of how many people said that Lemmy or Bob Dylan has the worst vocal in the history of music but both of them has sold countless albums and also has countless people enjoying them too, so who are we to say those fans have bad taste ?

I think King Diamond has better vocal technique than Lemmy but sometimes can't stand the over-the-top shrill voice of him, and I agree that KD is musically better than Motorhead (although I prefer his days in Mercyful Fate), but I know thousand of Motorhead diehards will disagree with me and I'm fine with it dude :D

probably because it's shite ;)

no it's wrong, actually all of them has already bought it when it's released so no one is buying anymore :D

• 2 months later...

Disappointments

Cats in Space (really wanted to like this but outside of one or 2 songs it was just not my style)

Europe (they continue down the grungy path.....not my thing)

Bonfire (just doesn't sound right with Reece and was mostly just average hard rock tracks)

House of Lords (another average release)

Ozone (Ousey with Slamer should have been awesome.....just average im afraid)

Nelson (almost demo like - unlistenable imo)

Iron Maiden (Zzzzzzz)

Hinder (RIP)

ISSA (nothing wrong with the songs at all, but wasted on a very average singer)

Probably missed quite a few but those were the albums I listened to throughout a very enjoyable musical 2015.

You see this is what happens when you dismiss albums too easily / too quickly.

I pretty much judged this after one listen - that was a mistake.

Really enjoying the album and very much looking forward to seeing them live - big thanks to a good mate of mine who put me straight on this one.

:)

Disappointments

Cats in Space (really wanted to like this but outside of one or 2 songs it was just not my style)

Bonfire (just doesn't sound right with Reece and was mostly just average hard rock tracks)

Iron Maiden (Zzzzzzz)

Hinder (RIP)

Probably missed quite a few but those were the albums I listened to throughout a very enjoyable musical 2015.

Really enjoying the album and very much looking forward to seeing them live - big thanks to a good mate of mine who put me straight on this one.

I judged it on samples alone and am confident I made the right choice. ;) Seriously, to each their own... glad you guys like it, but I know for sure it is not my thing at all. I had no desire to even sit through a single spin of this one.

Disappointments

Iron Maiden (Zzzzzzz)

Hinder (RIP)

I judged it on samples alone and am confident I made the right choice. ;) Seriously, to each their own... glad you guys like it, but I know for sure it is not my thing at all. I had no desire to even sit through a single spin of this one.

In all honesty, you cannot fairly judge an album without hearing all of it, I don't care what else you or anyone else says. All the shit you have given this album and you haven't even heard it, only samples?? I say no more

Disappointments

Iron Maiden (Zzzzzzz)

Hinder (RIP)

You cannot fairly judge an album without haring ALL of it and only on samples, I don't care what else you say. A

I'm not saying I've fairly judged this album at all. I just know it's not my thing and don't need to put myself through the full thing to find it out in detail. Just like I don't need to spin full prog or dance albums to know I won't like them. ;)

I get that totally and of course to each their own.

For me tho i really like this style and i think my initial disappointment was around me too closely comparing it to classic ELO which i love.

Its not that good imo but it is good in its own right and im glad i revisited it.

• 1 month later...

Not managed to buy/listen to half as many albums this year (2015) for a variety of reasons that I won't bore you with but if anyone's interested here's how my year panned out.

I decided to go with a 'Dan style' report this year....slightly tweaked as I do not know what 'also ran' means ;-)

1. Degreed - Dead But Not Forgotten

The guys have come of age - the last 2 albums were v good, but they really cracked it with album 3. Melodic bliss throughout which is some achievement over 14 songs

2. Eclipse - Armageddonise

One the earliest releases of the year stood the test of time. Erik does it again with an album full of driving melodic hard rock. One or 2 songs don't sit well but there are enough killers on here which sit among my favourite songs of the year

3. Art Nation - Revolution

A real surprise for me this one. Million times better than his last band and competes fairly with HEAT which is all the recommendation you need

4. Destine - Forevermore

It is a crying shame that these guys have called it a day. Almost perfect pop/rock throughout

5. Khymera - The Grand Design

Just a fantastic melodic sound on this disc - great songs, great choruses and some serious musicianship - this is melodic but also kicks some arse in places too.

Honourable mentions (in no order)

Toto - XIV (really enjoyable album with some diverse stuff...muddy production in places just lets it down a tad)

Halestorm - Into The Wild Life (this album got some bad press but I love it. Hale sounds awesome as ever and the material is diverse, intelligent and rocking)

Revolution Saints - s/t (great collaboration album....Frontiers project but some songs here are killer. Bit ballad heavy detracted slightly)

Tremonti - Cauterise (the guy goes from strength to strength. Hard rocking riffage assault but always maintains its sense of melody. Just missed my top 5. Includes my favourite song of the year : 'Sympathy')

Find Me - Dark Angel (good melodic release. Not as exciting as the debut and slightly cheesy feel in places detracted slightly)

Smash Into Pieces - Apocalypse DJ (great modern release. Better than Nickelback and with some great choruses/solos)

7th Heaven - Next (they never disappoint do they. Another set of classy, hooky songs)

Care of Night - Connected (really consistent release although not a fan at all of the closing ballad. Great live act too. Expect album 2 to set the world on fire....or at least the melodic rock genre)

Station - s/t (half great half good. Again expect album no 2 to be a killer)

Coldrain - Vena - this won't be for everyone, but this time around there is hardly any screaming. Oh and did I mention brilliant songs??! Just missed top 5

Night Flight Orchestra - Skyline Whispers - Not as good as the debut. There I said it. But, enough moments of greatness for an honourable mention. Still lovin what sound these guys are trying to achieve and really hoping to catch them live in 2016

Trixter - Human Era - best album ive heard from these guys. Just good honest melodic rock throughout with a few killer tracks at the end.

Solid releases (in no order)

WASP - Golgotha (loved this on first listen but my love has waned just a tad....solid effort but does sound a bit samey and 2 of the epic tracks are almost identical)

Def Leppard - s/t (4 absolute killer tracks prevent this from being a disappointment......not higher than 70% though)

Soto - s/t (I too miss his more melodic side, but still enjoyed quite a few tracks on this hard hitting release)

Stryper - Fallen (not as good as the previous album.....a few silly lyrics....but Strper are always solid as hell musically and this rocks in places)

Disappointments

Iron Maiden (Zzzzzzz)

Hinder (RIP)

OK so here's an interesting question - what 2015 releases are you still playing on a regular basis (if any :))

This is my true mark of a great album - one which you are drawn back to time again.

Out of my list the following are still on regular rotation -

Degreed

Eclipse

Tremonti

Care of Night

Cats in Space

So I guess that should be my real top 5.

Albums like Khymera & Find Me had very little longevity for me :(

Just wondering out of folk's say top 20 what they are being drawn back to...................