CATALANO (Ex - De La Cruz) Debut EP out in November

DeLaCruz

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Listened to the samples on itunes. With ALL the "GOOD" stuff coming this year, this is just a "maybe" buy. Thought it sounded just ok.

Listened to this a couple times throughout the day yesterday... Quite a few different styles and influences to be found, but after a couple of spins I started to appreciate most of the songs. The opener ''Metal Dreams'' is an outright old skool metal tune with memorable riffs and vocal delivery. At the end of the songs he just screams the word METAL over and over and finishes it off with a scream.

The rest of the album features party tunes, more serious or darker moments, songs that move into AOR territory, a ballad (''Dangerous Thing'') and a part in ''Stormchild'' that sounds more like Def Leppard than Def Leppard has sounded in 20 years, with husky gang vocal harmonies accompanied by a riff that could have come directly off Hysteria.

Of course I'll have to give this ona a little more time but after all the uncertainties surrounding this record, recording and subsequent re-recordings of the songs and numerous postponements I'm glad he was able to deliver a solid album with catchy tunes and big hooks.

I can't see anyone preferring this over De La Cruz but I could be wrong. Has anyone else on here heard the album already?

I bought the CD. The exchange rate made in only $20 total to the U.S. Looking forward to hearing it!

I like this album, based on first impression, score probably won't be too far off from De La Cruz, perhaps around low 80%

Any favorite tracks or moments so far?

For me "Dangerous Thing" excellent track but all the rest are good and growing with every play :) mine arrived today btw

You got yours already? Where you at the UK? Hope I'll get mine soon...

Yes Dangerous Thing is definitely a nice track, love the overall feel of it. Album really seems to be a grower as I find myself constantly reaching for it. So far I think Twisted is great (the part before the guitar solo is just absolutely insane and the verses - so addictive) and Metal Dreams is just a really cool opener.

You got yours already? Where you at the UK? Hope I'll get mine soon...

Yes Dangerous Thing is definitely a nice track, love the overall feel of it. Album really seems to be a grower as I find myself constantly reaching for it. So far I think Twisted is great (the part before the guitar solo is just absolutely insane and the verses - so addictive) and Metal Dreams is just a really cool opener.

Digging them all :) Stormchild is todays standout track for me :) very leppard hysteria thingy..oh yes I'm in the UK don't know why/how mine got here so quick although my track listing is mixed, for some reason Dark Skies is track 2 on the disc not 10 as per the artwork...strange?

Oh cool, that's a rare one from the first batch. 100 CDs have Dark Skies as track 2, should be worth a fortune in a couple of years :)

I read something about it on Facebook. But wait, so the track listing on the back is correct but the order is mixed up on the CD itself?

Oh cool, that's a rare one from the first batch. 100 CDs have Dark Skies as track 2, should be worth a fortune in a couple of years :)

I read something about it on Facebook. But wait, so the track listing on the back is correct but the order is mixed up on the CD itself?

Yeah correct on artwork but mixed on the disc :)

Heard this today and I'm very fond of it. I think in a few spins I will far prefer this to De La Cruz, just for the consistency of more "commercial" hard rock tunes.

Just have one issue with it, and that would be the vocal production. Why does it sound like the lead vocals were recorded while the singer was hiding in the far corner of the garage? The overall production is pretty basic, but good enough. The vocals just sound almost unwanted.

Anyway, some really cool songs, though, and nothing really weak on here. It's a good 'un.

Heard this today and I'm very fond of it. I think in a few spins I will far prefer this to De La Cruz, just for the consistency of more "commercial" hard rock tunes.

Just have one issue with it, and that would be the vocal production. Why does it sound like the lead vocals were recorded while the singer was hiding in the far corner of the garage? The overall production is pretty basic, but good enough. The vocals just sound almost unwanted.

Anyway, some really cool songs, though, and nothing really weak on here. It's a good 'un.

Not sure what you mean? Vocals sound pretty up front to me

You got an example or is it in every song all the time?

Not sure what you mean? Vocals sound pretty up front to me

You got an example or is it in every song all the time?

Every song, all the time. Vocals sound really low in the mix to me. I assumed the project was kind of centred around him, which is why I found it odd (and very noticeable).

It's funny cause I always thought that in certain De La Cruz songs (when there was a lot happening musically) the vocals weren't perfectly audible. It never bothered me though, I just thought a ''mainstream'' listener might find the vocals too quiet or instruments too loud :D but like I said, hardly ever an issue for me I usually complain when guitars are buried in the mix

Depends though, what are you listening on? Is it on your stereo, computer, MP3 player, car? Might have something to do with it

• My Little Pony

Depends though, what are you listening on? Is it on your stereo, computer, MP3 player, car? Might have something to do with it

I'm very much beginning to think this is the issue. He keeps saying certain albums sound like shit, or songs, or whatever, when everyone else isn't hearing what he's hearing. It might be time to invest in proper equipment.

I'm very much beginning to think this is the issue. He keeps saying certain albums sound like shit, or songs, or whatever, when everyone else isn't hearing what he's hearing. It might be time to invest in proper equipment.

What else, out of curiosity? I don't recall it before.

Anyway, I listen mostly on the work car stereo, which is a brand new model Yaris with an excellent stereo. Then I listen on my Macbook with headphones, which imo, seems to have pretty awesome sound quality through earphones. And then lastly, on my own car stereo which is a bit like 'Riot Avenue' compared to 'New Religion' (compared to my work car) but still with a ballsy rhythm section... just a bit rawer.

But yeah, no issues with what I'm hearing. Trust me, in time I am sure other people will agree with my thoughts on the vocals. ;)

And then lastly, on my own car stereo which is a bit like 'Riot Avenue' compared to 'New Religion'

what better you mean?

And then lastly, on my own car stereo which is a bit like 'Riot Avenue' compared to 'New Religion'

what better you mean?

No, much worse.

what better you mean?

No, much worse.

;)

What I don't get is your thinking this is more commercial than De La Cruz??

I mean how much more crazy 80s commercial can De La Cruz get?

This however is pretty dark in places.

what better you mean?

No, much worse.

;)

What I don't get is your thinking this is more commercial than De La Cruz??

I mean how much more crazy 80s commercial can De La Cruz get?

This however is pretty dark in places.

Really? De La Cruz had quite a few pretty "standard" hard rockers mixed in with the more melodic stuff. Across the board, this new stuff seems to be pretty "commercial" and melodic without any real exception, except maybe the opener, 'Metal dreams.' There just seems to be more hooks and melody than De La Cruz, imo.